Mafia vs Village Return of the MAGMAfia - Game Over: Electros Win!

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
the fuck went on with me was Yeti didn't like my gormlessness, so subbed me out for 'being a bad player'

and I'm sick of this shitty subforum, why the hell did I come back after the fiasco years ago

I was told US was village, and never heard anything to the contrary, Gale, now go fuck yourself

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
if anyone actually TOLD ME any shit besides what sam was telling me sooner than this, maybe it wouldn't have come to this

but noooooo, why give a shit about Ullar until he's neccessary?

fuck you guys

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yes it was, it just broke the rules.

This is why I disagree so strongly with Yeti's treatment of it. She let you get away with it and now there's no reason not to do so again because apparently no one cares about keeping the rules.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
To fill dead people in on certain events that went down recently:

About 3 AM last night, Mithril messaged me out of the blue telling me that he knew either GS or aska was actually Magmas, so I went around frantically trying to clean people and figure out wtf to do with actions. I managed to clean Mithril and Gale (who confirmed his story), but DLE had me tricked. Which wouldn't have mattered, except DLE was the one who told Shade who to target. So of course we instalost.

There are only two things that kind of irk me about this:
1. Mithril should have told someone about this wayyyyy sooner
2. I messaged Ullar as soon as he got on IRC this evening, before he got subbed out. He ignored me

Ullar, don't bitch about people not telling you things and then ignore them when they try to tell you things.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
I ignored you because I was following orders given to me for many days now

I retract my bitching about that, upon consideration; my bitching about Yeti being a fucking asshat remains

GG guys, you played well.

After I had sometime yesterday and Walrein started talking to me I figured out 3/4 of the Electros too. And I had DLE. But had TwinMasters, Jalmont and Pokeguy on the wrong side of the factions.

If I was not a dumb diego and wasn't busy. I might have been able to notice on Day 1 that something was a miss. 9_9

-------

I was told US was village, and never heard anything to the contrary, Gale, now go fuck yourself
Ullar don't make me use derogatory comments on you. You played badly and we all did. You weren't subbed out because of bad play, but when we started playing better you decided to not come on IRC or respond to PMs. Its the hosts call whether she wanted to sub you out, or let you ruin the game. Don't go throwing around sh8 at others because you stink.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
if I play badly, that's on me. Sorry! Games play out how they play out. You could have blacklisted me for being an idiot afterwards, and we would have gone our ways amiably.

But Yeti decided to overstep her bounds as impartial host, and subbed me out despite me being active. That is unacceptable.

I'm nto denying I played badly, but I am denying that Yeti is blameless as you make ehr out to be

UncleSam

Leading this village
Ullar is not in the wrong here Yeti is.

You cannot force sub an active player due to poor play.

Should Ullar have noticed the discrepancy? Yes. However, that is no reason to force sub him out nor to blacklist him.

If hosts feel that he shouldn't be picked for games, then so be it. However, what he did (simply poor play) is not even remotely comparable to the rule breaking of General Spoon (who has NOT gotten the message at all) nor to the host-favoring that Yeti gave the Magmas throughout the game.

I don't think there's anything wrong for subbing due to horrendously poor play. It's not as though he was deceived or anything, he was just really stupid.

That said, it has to be done extremely sparingly, as inactive people are worse than stupid people.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
GENERALSPOON
GeneralSpoon posted a screenshot of his actual role PM. The Electros were intending to janitor him to make him look like a member of their team. The two mafias both had one janitor role each, but it specifically stated on my sheet "lynches and nights only" meaning it didn't work on a godkill. I lynched GeneralSpoon and posted the Electro PM as though nothing screwy was up to make it look as smooth for UncleSam's ability to fakeclaim as possible. The Electros should NOT have been punished for a play that is blatantly against the spirit of CM mafias - I can remember maybe one game where screenshots were allowed. It's not a fair play.
I didn't sub out DLE because he was the person who inspected Spoon in the first place, and the one using the janitor role. Suspicious to any village leader except his own partner.
Posting screenshots is a crappy, low play and should be punished. I don't understand why Sam complains about how he got away with it because he didn't, it was treated as a lynch with no indication he posted a real screenshot of his actual PM. And yet, I can't very well lie and say that was a doctored screenshot, it wasn't. Anyone who does this in the future is a douchebag tbh.

VONFIEDLER
The only time the twin cops ever got a sane result together.. or a result at all except after LightWolf's death. They would get a sane result if they targeted the same person. HOWEVER, vonFiedler was a miller. He showed Xerath the Electro on inspect and SCUM upon cop check. So he was lynched and turned up Magma, as he was not a death miller. I looked into the role beforehand and usually millers were told such, but it didn't seem to be so on Smogon, plus in OC that'd be too easy to claim. The first line of his PM was a hint to such, though.

ULLAR
One of three roles that could determine the janitors were dicking about. Gale gained a vote he knew about, Mithril was informed of his current count at the end of a night, and Ullar gained the role of a dead Magma.
He was given the flavor that Spoon had posted, claiming he was Groudon, and said I was high, so he told Sam and did nothing. Literally tells no one, ever, and his defense is "well there was nobody TO tell?" Maybe he should have manned up and confronted things himself, so another leader could stand up with some evidence Sam is shady?
Then he just played the role of Sam's good little village sheeple all game even though if he wasn't just plain stupid or willing to put any thought into things, he would know Spoon's lynch result was wrong and Sam was the one orchestrating it.
Seriously, if you are unwilling to be anything more than a sheep for a village leader and not put ANY critical thinking into a game, DON'T SIGN UP. Let me put in a name I'm not familiar with who maybe will think about it and put in some effort. Whining I subbed him out because I was displeased he put ZERO effort into my game is pathetic. Yeah, it's my game, and I'm annoyed he did jack diddly with his role except blindly follow the leader. So I removed him to allow a competent player to do some thinking and try to make a play.
Ultimately Walrein was convinced DLE was clean, for what reason I am uncertain as DLE's role was never once reported as a result - the revmar was invisible completely. So shade followed DLE's advice. Which is fair, DLE played well convincing both of them he was clean, and I am content with that result and that both teams had a fair shot to impact their ability to win. Ullar wasn't even willing to hear out anyone. Which yes, is his prerogative, but it is mine as a host to decide I am not content with a player doing that.
Also - he had not been on at all during Night 4. So I posted asking for a sub, because I couldn't be certain he WOULD show in the remaining few hours, yet his role was the one that could have changed things. He did, but refused to respond to the Magmas AND ME when I asked him, so I continued with the sub.

JANITORS/MOLES
The Aquanauts never used their mole or janitor role. aska was using the mole the night he died. The Electros used their mole N0, but the Aquanauts SGed Sam and he was never ONCE actually cleaned, lol. The abilities he claimed were from DLE's inspects. Their janitor was used D1 on Spoon, their N0 inspect.
There were 3 roles who could counter the janitor's foolproof believability and none of them did anything with that until it was far, far too late. I am disappointed in Mithril and Gale's complacency with Sam being the village leader, but Ullar's lapse in judgment and inability to think for himself was far, far worse. However, Mithril and Gale shouldn't take the full brunt of village negligence - many members such as moi and LightWolf SUSPECTED Sam was fishy, but were unwilling to be so bold enough to call it in public. I think if anyone had stood up, at least one of these three would have mentioned the shadiness of Day One. All around mediocre play from the village until it was too late.

SUNNY004
God bless sunny my favorite Aquanaut. He wanted to kill UncleSam with their SG the night the Electro omniguard was down, but his team decided to kill their N0 inspect, moi, instead. Such a different game if sunny got to pull this off.

COP TWINS
LightWolf and Mr378 were variants of the latest game's cop twins. LightWolf received only GOOD results, Mr378 only BAD, on their own. If they targeted the same target they got a SANE result. When one died, the other became fully sane. Unfortunately due to circumstances they only ever got the result on vonFiedler, and Mr378 never reached out to LightWolf to discuss being twins after Sam made LW's role public following von's death.

HOW COULD THE VILLAGE HAVE WON?!
There was a very small chance for them to win, IF:
Ullar/shade one-time martyrs POKEGUYNXB.
This pulls the protection off UncleSam, allowing Mithril to kill him. Walrein dies, but the kidnap does NOT go off to stop Mithril's kill. The reason for this, and has been true in games prior, is all kills had the same priority. So one kill would not have stopped the other, but the kidnap did not stop the kill from killing Sam before he got off the kidnap. The kidnap saves the kidnapee from a kill, but it does not save the kidnapper if the kidnapee is the killer. Sam believed there was a kill priority within the kills, so he didn't consider this circumstance I don't think, but this is what would have happened if he died. I realize I tend to have a different kill system than other games, but I do believe it is consistent.
Gale suicides. He has to fail to vote who he was persuaded to, allowing the village to now hold majority over the remaining three Electros after he dies. Mithril is then still alive and not kidnapped, and gains his third kill after Gale and Walrein's deaths. The Electro omniguard is on forced-cooldown so he has free reign to kill someone, probably Pokeguy because all DLE was, was an inspector. shade also gets the BG role so there is a chance the Electro kill is blocked.
The village then lynches the last Electro and wins.

But that was very unlikely. But I was curious if they could pull it off, and Walrein and Mithril realized something was afoot all their own. I didn't want to call the game too soon in case the village could make a comeback, but it is undeniable the Electros rolled the game and deserved their victory.

UNCLESAM
Without a doubt, UncleSam is a good village leader. He is boisterous, loud, and unapologetic for how stifling he is to dissension. However, the moment something doesn't go exactly as he planned, or I won't tell him info (I have never told people who aren't on a faction together info about the other's role, or given info about a role that is not their own), or I don't end the cycle when he wants, and so forth, he has a fit. "This game is stupid, such biased hosting, I don't even care I want to ragequit and not play anymore"
fool u are winning so hard, RELAX. I don't imagine many people are willing to call this so bluntly but I can't be the only one who has noticed he tends to get fussy whenever his control of a situation is disrupted. It's funny he complains about biased hosting the other way, when to do some of the things he asks would be equally as biased his way.
I do think Sam is a good mafia player and his brashness is very effective. He was disappointed I didn't give him village, though I had placed him on the village initially then moved him to the mole role, but I think he was equally as efficient leading as a mafia and would have surely sussed out the janitor roles quickly if he was truly village. I don't hold anything against him or anything, I just enjoy how upset he gets when his vision of how things go isn't met.

THE VILLAGE
Did not have a SG, Gale's role should have been immune to persuades and silences, was too small. ELECTRO also had a 12-man village but only 3-man mafias. The mafias could get majority in this game fairly easily. I think the village was underpowered, though this is interesting because I feel they had more directly-relevant and important power roles than most of mine. Something to consider for next time.

MVP
Undoubtedly UncleSam. He moled the village very well and easily led his team to victory, regardless of misplays along the way that may have happened. He completely deserves MVP as his impact on the game is by far the most powerful.
Shout-out to DLE for convincing Walrein and then shade he was good, to prevent them from figuring they needed to martyr an Electro protection role. Walrein and Mithril for finally coming together and realizing Sam was shady, and sunny004 for being the best Aquanaut imo. Though aska's moling was so good he got killed by Sam for it.
Oh, also, I don't believe I have played a game with Thetwinmasters before, but Twin was a surprisingly active and eager addition to the game. I put him on the Electros as he was a wildcard to me but he did a great job as an unknown, from my POV.

Last edited:

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
I'm sorry, you fucking bitch

I'm not denying my play was imbecilic

but games play out how they play out, you should step away and let it happen

doesn't work out how you wanted? too bad, so sad! shit happens. get over it, you asshat.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing I'm most confused about is that you said I get results at the end of each night of how many magma are dead. But the first result I received was 5 minutes after day 2 ended where von was killed. This threw me off to some extent just because the timing made no sense to me. It's not an excuse, as I still should have noticed this faster, but thought I should mention it.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Ok first:

Yes I care too much about mafia games and get too much on hosts when things don't go as I think they ought to. I do feel that recently there have been some really questionable hosting decisions in several games but that is no excuse for getting angry.

Secondly I know I've been a source of rage but if you don't like someones games don't sign up for them. There's no reason to complain about hosts who do so FOR FREE and out of their own generosity. I have been FREQUENTLY in violation of this principle and for that I am sorry. I hope people do NOT follow my poor example and play calmly and like gentlemen in future games.

Ullar you are technically in the right but please understand that insulting Yeti is not going to help anything. It's a mafia game.

Hopefully we can move past this and learn from this game. That is the only positive thing that will happen at this point.

It's ok to play badly but when you ignore people and show any effort to communicate about the is when a line is crossed I would say. If it's true that ullar ignored walrein and didn't make any effort to communicate, then I think that's fair enough grounds for a sub, but otherwise I think force subs for bad play goes against the spirit of the game.

The punishment for godkills for screenshots should be stricter (e.g. no flip/autolose or something). I think Spoon is right in that I feel we've made it ok to godkill yourself if it benefits your team. There will always be an incentive to force a godkill if you are getting framed, so I think just taking that away by not flipping would be a good solution. We shouldn't punish people for trying to get ahead even if it's through gaming the rules. We should just fix the rules that allow that to happen (for the record, it's retarded how much the blacklist has come up, the whole point of that is for players who deliberately cheat the game / ruin it for others, not for bad play / attempting to play to win, but anyways..)

I'm sorry for being inactive even if it didn't matter. I probably should have just subbed out considering I am traveling / in a timezone literally opposite to everyone else.

In any case I thought the setup was really cool in terms of all roles being useful (maybe except for me???). this game is just a great example for people to understand that they can't be complacent in the position they are in where they are village and things seem to be going well.

ggwp every1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)