Golem

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus
QC: iplaytennislol / marilli / Blast
GP: Malley / Snobalt

[OVERVIEW]

Although Rhydon sports much better bulk, a better movepool, and the same typing, Golem has a few niches over Rhydon that make it worth using, Golem has Sturdy, Explosion, and Sucker Punch, allowing it to utilize a Custap Berry set. Unlike Rhydon, it isn't reliant on Eviolite for bulk and can make use of its STAB EdgeQuake combination to run a Choice Band set. However, Golem cannot make use of its resistances to Normal- and Flying-type attacks and immunity to Electric-type attacks as well as Rhydon because of its significantly worse bulk and reliance on Sturdy. Its low Speed and Rock / Ground typing also make it vulnerable to the common Water- and Grass-type attacks.

[SET]
name: Custap Berry
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Rock Blast / Stone Edge
move 4: Explosion / Sucker Punch
item: Custap Berry
ability: Sturdy
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock breaks Focus Sashes and Sturdy users, such as Crustle, Aurorus, and Archeops. Earthquake hits Steel-, Fire-, and Electric-types such as Klinklang, Pyroar, and Lanturn super effectively. Rock Blast completes Golem's STAB coverage and can hit through Substitute, Sturdy, and Focus Sash. Stone Edge can be used over Rock Blast to deal more consistent damage. Explosion can deal massive damage to the foe and provides momentum for the team. Sucker Punch has priority and can allow Golem to pick off weakened Pokemon, but it can be very risky to use.

Set Details
========

This EV spread with an Adamant nature ensures that Golem hits as hard as possible. Golem could also run a Jolly nature to outspeed threats such as Adamant Mawile and Jolly Rhydon. Sturdy almost always guarantees that Golem can set up Stealth Rock. Custap Berry allows Golem to more first when Sturdy has activated.

Usage Tips
========

Bring Golem on a free switch and proceed to set up Stealth Rock, or use it as a lead if it has a good matchup. Use Explosion or Sucker Punch once Sturdy has activated. Be wary of Taunt users, as they prevent Golem from setting up Stealth Rock. Use Explosion on Spinners and Defoggers such as Claydol and Mantine in order to prevent them from removing Stealth Rock. Be wary of using Sucker Punch, as Pokemon such as Mismagius can take advantage of Golem by crippling it with Will-O-Wisp. Sturdy is important to make use of Custap Berry and to reliably set up Stealth Rock, so keep it intact as much as possible.

Team Options
========

This set fits well on offensive teams because of its ability to reliably set up Stealth Rock thanks to Sturdy and then do significant damage thanks to Custap Berry. Volt Switch and U-turn users such as Scyther and Rotom allow Golem to switch in freely and keep Sturdy intact. Spinners such as Claydol and Kabutops help to keep Stealth Rock off Golem's side of the field in order to keep Sturdy intact. Wallbreakers such as Electivire and Magmortar appreciate entry hazard support in order to break through opposing Sturdy users and Focus Sashes. Spikes from Pokemon such as Cacturne and Roselia combined with Stealth Rock support can wear down the opposing team more easily. Golem also has nice synergy with these Pokemon, as Golem can take Fire- and Flying-type attacks aimed at Cacturne and Roselia, while Cacturne and Roselia can take take Water- and Grass-type attacks aimed at Golem. Spinblockers such as Mismagius and Gourgeist-XL help keep Stealth Rock on the field. Defiant users such as Pawniard and Primeape can switch into Defog and receive a +2 Attack boost.

[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Explosion
move 4: Sucker Punch
item: Choice Band
ability: Sturdy
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Earthquake hits Steel-, Fire-, and Electric-types such as Klinklang, Pyroar, and Lanturn super effectively. Stone Edge hits Flying-types,such as Fletchinder and Scyther super effectively. Explosion is a powerful last-resort attack used to severely damage any Pokemon that resists Golem's STAB combination, such as Torterra and Claydol. Sucker Punch allows Golem to pick off weakened foes and threaten Ghost-types such as Mismagius and Rotom.

Set Details
========

An Adamant nature combined with an EV spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe allows Golem to hit as hard as possible and outspeed as much as possible. Sturdy allows Golem to survive at least one hit. Choice Band allows Golem to inflict more damage, but it comes at the cost of being locked into one move.

Usage Tips
========

Try to preserve Sturdy by not switching Golem directly into attacks. Golem should come in mid- to late-game on a free switch to break through physical walls with its STAB combination. Be careful of using Sucker Punch, as Golem is locked into it and Pokemon such as Mismagius can take advantage of it by crippling it with Will-O-Wisp. Explosion should be used sparingly, as Golem may be needed later in the match, and Ghost-types such as Mismagius and Rotom can switch in and take no damage. Explosion should be used to break through Pokemon that resist Stone Edge and Earthquake, such as Claydol and Torterra. Golem should use Sucker Punch to threaten fast and frail Pokemon, such as Jynx, which threatens to KO Golem with Ice Beam, but it must be wary of Lovely Kiss.

Team Options
========

Volt Switch and U-turn users, such as Rotom and Liepard, allow Golem to switch in while keeping Sturdy intact. Spinners such as Cryogonal and Kabutops can remove entry hazards for Golem. Pokemon that appreciate Golem's wallbreaking ability, such as Scyther and Tauros, make for good partners. Ice-types such as Piloswine and Jynx can take care of Torterra and Claydol, which resist or are immune to both of Golem's STAB attacks, while they appreciate Golem's wallbreaking. Pokemon that appreciate a teammate that can take Electric-type attacks, such as Fletchinder and Pelipper, are good partners. In addition to this, Pelipper can provide Defog support for Golem.

Other Options
=============

Fire Punch allows Golem to hit Ferroseed for more damage. Alternatively, Golem can run a Rock Polish + Weakness Policy set to make up for its low Speed. Golem can also be used on sun teams to set up Sunny Day and Stealth Rock. Golem can also run a tank set with 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD and an Adamant Nature, but Rhydon is a better tank, as it has much better bulk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Levitating Ghost-types**: Levitating Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Rotom are immune to Explosion and Earthquake and can cripple Choice Band Golem with Will-O-Wisp. The former can also Taunt Custap Berry Golem, preventing it from setting up Stealth Rock, and the latter can cripple it with Trick. However, they dislike Stone Edge and Sucker Punch.

**Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types such as Tangela and Torterra don't mind most of Golem's attacks, and they can deal 4x super effective damage to it. The former can put Golem to sleep and the latter resists both of Golem's STAB attacks. However, Tangela is 2HKOed by Choice Band Golem's Stone Edge after Stealth Rock damage.

**Water-types**: Bulky Water-types such as Quagsire and Prinplup can take Golem's attacks and deal 4x super effective damage to it. The former can also remove Stealth Rock with Defog while the latter can burn Golem with Scald. However, they cannot switch into Choice Banded Golem, as they are 2HKOed by Earthquake.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as lead Archeops can prevent Custap Berry Golem from setting up Stealth Rock, but they must watch out for Stone Edge and Earthquake on both sets.

**Entry Hazard Removers**: Spinners such as Claydol and Sandslash can easily switch into Custap Berry Golem's attacks and remove Stealth Rock. However, although Claydol is immune to Earthquake and resists Stone Edge, it cannot switch into Choice Band Golem, as it is 2HKOed by Stone Edge.

**Super Effective Attacks**: Golem's Rock / Ground typing gives it weaknesses to Fighting-types such as Sawk and Hariyama, Ground-types such as Piloswine and Rhydon, and Ice-types such as Cryogonal and Aurorus, which can knock it down to Sturdy range and make it easier to KO. However, they have to be wary of Custap Berry being activated.

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi i know this is WIP but thunder punch is useless because it hits water types just as hard as STAB Earthquake, so it is just waste of a moveslot. Things like Pelipper also get hit just as hard by Stone Edge, and I don't think there are any other notable 4x electric weak Pokemon. Same kind of goes for Fire Punch, which only hits Ferroseed harder than either Stone Edge or Earthquake (which hits many Grass-types like Vileplume neutrally). I guess Fire Punch can stay because it at least has an upside, but it's kind of obvious from your explanations that you didn't realize that a 2x Punch move is only as strong as neutral STAB Earthquake / Stone Edge. Whether an attack is super effective, resisted, or not actually isn't the most important thing in the game. You don't need to try to drag things on when there isn't anything to talk about. Given that Golem isn't something with a ton of options, that's OK. Team options should focus on Hyper Offense with means of keeping its sturdy around (Kabutops, Xatu, etc.)

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi i know this is WIP but thunder punch is useless because it hits water types just as hard as STAB Earthquake, so it is just waste of a moveslot. Things like Pelipper also get hit just as hard by Stone Edge, and I don't think there are any other notable 4x electric weak Pokemon. Same kind of goes for Fire Punch, which only hits Ferroseed harder than either Stone Edge or Earthquake (which hits many Grass-types like Vileplume neutrally). I guess Fire Punch can stay because it at least has an upside, but it's kind of obvious from your explanations that you didn't realize that a 2x Punch move is only as strong as neutral STAB Earthquake / Stone Edge. Whether an attack is super effective, resisted, or not actually isn't the most important thing in the game. You don't need to try to drag things on when there isn't anything to talk about. Given that Golem isn't something with a ton of options, that's OK. Team options should focus on Hyper Offense with means of keeping its sturdy around (Kabutops, Xatu, etc.)
Alright

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
alright ready for qc (plz dont judge me harshly this is way better than my failed pilo analysis)

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Golem @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- Sucker Punch

So CB Golem is by far it's best set. It can function like a slower Sawk in that it nukes the opposition while also not caring about it's lower Speed stat thanks to Sucker Punch and Sturdy. This set pairs extremely well with pokemon that dislike common physically defensive walls (Sneasel, Sawk, Scyther, etc.) because it essentially lures them in and destroys them (see calcs). Even common Pokemon that resists Golem's dual STAB combo take a ton from it (see claydol).

252+ Atk Choice Band Golem Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 162-192 (48.6 - 57.6%) -- 52.3% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Golem Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 202-238 (49.2 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Golem Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 156-184 (38 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Golem Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Claydol: 122-144 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Golem Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Prinplup: 156-184 (46.9 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I'm still under the impression that lead Custap Berry Golem is good, I'm just not sure if its good enough to warrant an analysis anymore. I'd like other QC member's opinons, I don't mind it getting a set, I just feel its gimmicky at best in this meta (i legitimately cannot fit it onto a team without it being outclassed by either Rhydon or Archeops) boltsandbombers Punchshroom Montsegur Blast Can-Eh-Dian iplaytennislol thoughts?

Custap easily deserves a set in my opinion. I know raseri has used it to some success and it's honestly good. The ability for it to live any hit and get up rocks then explode for example is something Archeops and Rhydon cannot do

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Also I've used the custap set to quite a bit of success as well. I'll be honest that my experiences mostly came in the magneton meta, but I think stuff still applies here. First, "lead" custap berry set doesn't necessarily like leading for immediate 'inb4sr, ill boom turn 2' because even tho it gets SR up reliably it doesn't prevent opposing SR, etc, and explosion won't kill. Instead, you're much better off using other Pokemon to lead and bring Golem in to a u-turn or an otherwise free switch and then try to fire off attacks with its Sturdy still intact, while having the option to go for a mid game SR if the matchup calls for it. Or you can lead with it if matches up super well offensively, outspeeding and 2hkoing a ton of stuff. Band performs better vs. defensive walls, of course, but Custap does better vs. offense by often getting 2 kills when Sturdy is up, as opposed to 1 just 1, and on top of that you get the possibility of using SR which you can't on the CB set. Of course, the downside to that is that I rarely got up early Rocks, unless I was against Torterra / Tangela / etc. and I notice immediately it's impossible to leverage anything with Golem, hey at least i get sr up and go boom! But that should be the backup option, not 'lets just turn 1 sr thanks to sturdy, lets see how it turns out."

I understand here that Kiyo's point is when you're using full hazard control team you're likely gonna have a prinplup so SR on Golem isn't really necessary, etc. In fact CB Golem probably fits better into that full hazard control core of Sawk / Scyther / Prinplup / Xatu. But ofc there's also the fact that EQ isn't always the best move to be locked into, and neither is Sucker Punch, lol. So I still see the point in having the Custap Berry set. I suppose CB Golem fits into a known existing (and very good) team structure, Custap Golem set is a bit more liberal with that and it probably is better off than CBin any non-Prinp / Xatu team.

I do think that 'lead' is a little misleading, though, and the current analysis also doesn't really focus on how keeping that sturdy intact for Golem is like, the most important thing. You need defog support, need prinplup / xatu / kabutops etc. mentioned there as teammates, which you have very little mention in team options, lol. And almost always you don't switch golem into resisted hits like you say on the analysis, because Sturdy is important.

- under Set 1: Sucker punch should be slashed before explosion. Priority is a huge reason to why Golem is used over mons like Rhydon or Archeops.

- under Set 1: Life orb doesnt deserve a slash. It defeats the purpose of running sturdy.

- under Set 2: get rid of double edge because its bad. Just put sucker punch as the 4th move slot.

- under Set 2: remove life orb its bad with sturdy @_@

Sturdy is by far Golem's best ability so please remove all mentions of life orb please.

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
- under Set 1: Sucker punch should be slashed before explosion. Priority is a huge reason to why Golem is used over mons like Rhydon or Archeops.

- under Set 1: Life orb doesnt deserve a slash. It defeats the purpose of running sturdy.

- under Set 2: get rid of double edge because its bad. Just put sucker punch as the 4th move slot.

- under Set 2: remove life orb its bad with sturdy @_@

Sturdy is by far Golem's best ability so please remove all mentions of life orb please.
k did

Under OO, when you mention the rock polish set, mention that the preferred item for this set is Weakness Policy.

QC 1/3

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview:
  • Put some more emphasis on the sheer difference between Rhydon and Golem's bulk, 0/0 Golem has a chance to be killed by Tauros's Rock Climb + EQ (and is always 2HKOed by EQ).
Custap
  • I don't think Weakness Policy should be slashed on the lead set, even when running Sucker Punch I highly preferred Custap Berry since it let me get off a "priority" STAB attack which is pretty helpful. It also let me preserve Golem so I could Sucker Punch something later.
  • Deslash Jolly, the power of Adamant is more important although Jolly isn't useless so you can mention it in Set Details
  • In the Rock Blast sentence, Barbaracle is a bad example of a Sash user because a) it isn't common, and b) even a 5-hit Rock Blast doesn't kill it. Replace it with Archeops.
  • In Team Options, you mention twice that Golem's teammates should "enjoy" SR support, but literally every Pokemon and playstyle in the game enjoys that. Why HO teams / wallbreakers in particular for Golem?
CB
  • I would reword the points about Stone Edge because Flying-types aren't really top Golem switchins lol
  • Again, don't mention hazard support in TO unless it does something specific
C&C
  • Taunt users don't have to just be wary of the Band set, the Custap set can also choose to just attack them
  • Remove the status section, almost everything is crippled by status.
  • Hazard removal does not make Golem useless, especially since like marilli said, Golem doesn't always have to lead and die turn 2. Besides, hardly any hazard removers can actually switch into Golem, especially the ones you listed.
  • Carracosta is not a Golem switchin lol
This needs some work, tag me back when you've done this and I'll give it another look rubsomebacononit

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
Overview:
  • Put some more emphasis on the sheer difference between Rhydon and Golem's bulk, 0/0 Golem has a chance to be killed by Tauros's Rock Climb + EQ (and is always 2HKOed by EQ).
Custap
  • I don't think Weakness Policy should be slashed on the lead set, even when running Sucker Punch I highly preferred Custap Berry since it let me get off a "priority" STAB attack which is pretty helpful. It also let me preserve Golem so I could Sucker Punch something later.
  • Deslash Jolly, the power of Adamant is more important although Jolly isn't useless so you can mention it in Set Details
  • In the Rock Blast sentence, Barbaracle is a bad example of a Sash user because a) it isn't common, and b) even a 5-hit Rock Blast doesn't kill it. Replace it with Archeops.
  • In Team Options, you mention twice that Golem's teammates should "enjoy" SR support, but literally every Pokemon and playstyle in the game enjoys that. Why HO teams / wallbreakers in particular for Golem?
CB
  • I would reword the points about Stone Edge because Flying-types aren't really top Golem switchins lol
  • Again, don't mention hazard support in TO unless it does something specific
C&C
  • Taunt users don't have to just be wary of the Band set, the Custap set can also choose to just attack them
  • Remove the status section, almost everything is crippled by status.
  • Hazard removal does not make Golem useless, especially since like marilli said, Golem doesn't always have to lead and die turn 2. Besides, hardly any hazard removers can actually switch into Golem, especially the ones you listed.
  • Carracosta is not a Golem switchin lol
This needs some work, tag me back when you've done this and I'll give it another look rubsomebacononit
Thanks. I have implemented.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll let Blast give this the last check, but I really dont like how C&C is looking atm.
Mold breaker users should not be first, as Mold Breaker Sawk is, well, meh. The other 3 Mold Breaker users are Rampardos (uh it gets Surf but thats close to nonexistant in NU), Pinsir (add it bc banded CC OHKOs), and Basculin (Adaptability is better).

Hazard removal: uh, Kabutops isnt switching into EQ at all and doesnt appreciate taking Rock Blasts / Stone Edges.
Water types: Quag and Prinplup are outsped and 2HKOed by the band set, so be clear that they're only soft checks. Prinplup also removes the rocks that Golem sets.
Grass types: Its troubling that you didnt mention Torterra at all, since it is a full counter because it resists edqequake -_-
Taunt users: Why the hell are you listing Taunt liepard? Thats an awful move on it and the use of it should not be mentioned anywhere.
Ghost types: Add misdreavus, its bulkier than Mismagius and rotom, and as such checks golem much more effectively.

QC thoughts on making CB the first set? I think its definitely the best set in this meta for the reasons Kiyo stated earlier.

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
I'll let Blast give this the last check, but I really dont like how C&C is looking atm.
Mold breaker users should not be first, as Mold Breaker Sawk is, well, meh. The other 3 Mold Breaker users are Rampardos (uh it gets Surf but thats close to nonexistant in NU), Pinsir (add it bc banded CC OHKOs), and Basculin (Adaptability is better).

Hazard removal: uh, Kabutops isnt switching into EQ at all and doesnt appreciate taking Rock Blasts / Stone Edges.
Water types: Quag and Prinplup are outsped and 2HKOed by the band set, so be clear that they're only soft checks. Prinplup also removes the rocks that Golem sets.
Grass types: Its troubling that you didnt mention Torterra at all, since it is a full counter because it resists edqequake -_-
Taunt users: Why the hell are you listing Taunt liepard? Thats an awful move on it and the use of it should not be mentioned anywhere.
Ghost types: Add misdreavus, its bulkier than Mismagius and rotom, and as such checks golem much more effectively.

QC thoughts on making CB the first set? I think its definitely the best set in this meta for the reasons Kiyo stated earlier.
ok done, thanks.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Remove Weakness Policy from the Overview since it's deslashed. Also in the last sentence of the Overview, when you're talking about its lesser bulk also say that it makes it worse at making use of its resistances than Rhydon.

You're still not explaining why Custap Golem fits specifically on HO teams. Why am I not just using a different Stealth Rocker over it? They all help "break Focus Sash and Sturdy," so that's not a reason to use Golem over something else.

I'll stamp after that

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
Remove Weakness Policy from the Overview since it's deslashed. Also in the last sentence of the Overview, when you're talking about its lesser bulk also say that it makes it worse at making use of its resistances than Rhydon.

You're still not explaining why Custap Golem fits specifically on HO teams. Why am I not just using a different Stealth Rocker over it? They all help "break Focus Sash and Sturdy," so that's not a reason to use Golem over something else.

I'll stamp after that
ok, thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)