Spelling and Grammar Standards

tehy pretty much answered it but in case you prefer for a general explanation The Quasar
We abbreviate stuff if it catches on and is common neough to be known by the general playerbase. SubCM is an example of an accepted abbreviation; however, writing it as Substitute + Calm Mind is perfectly legitimate. When in doubt, spelling out the whole thing is the way to go!

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A few days ago, I saw somebody (a qc leader I think) talk about the amount of 'unique' set names given to non-'special' pokemon. Is this an issue, and should we start somewhat normalizing these names, or is that a qc thing, or just leave it be?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
A few days ago, I saw somebody (a qc leader I think) talk about the amount of 'unique' set names given to non-'special' pokemon. Is this an issue, and should we start somewhat normalizing these names, or is that a qc thing, or just leave it be?
The standard name should still be in parentheses if they insist on using a funny name

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
the first always and forever

unless 'SS Carracosta' happens to be a set name and even then it's quite questionable
When you can't afford an S.S. Anne ticket, sometimes you have to settle for the second best option...

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, so using 'opportunity cost' to describe using a certain Mega Pokemon isn't allowed. But how do we feel about 'Mega slot'? Quite frankly I see no way to rephrase this without an excessive number of words, which we wouldn't want. Problem with "officially" adding 'Mega slot' to our "accepted" vocabulary is the phrase attracts 'opportunity cost' like no tomorrow. What are people's thoughts on this?

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, so using 'opportunity cost' to describe using a certain Mega Pokemon isn't allowed. But how do we feel about 'Mega slot'? Quite frankly I see no way to rephrase this without an excessive number of words, which we wouldn't want. Problem with "officially" adding 'Mega slot' to our "accepted" vocabulary is the phrase attracts 'opportunity cost' like no tomorrow. What are people's thoughts on this?
I'm fine with adding 'Mega slot' as a phrase; it's already used so frequently that an attempt to so suddenly ban it will probably fail. You're also right that there does not seem to be any other more efficient way to convey its meaning.

The 'opportunity cost' problem doesn't seem too alarming, either. I for one haven't seen it used yet, and in the contrary I'd think people would definitely prefer 'Mega slot' if forced to choose between the two anyway.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hello lurking is fun.

i'm fine with "Mega slot" because it's literally the most efficient method of conveying its meaning.

Electrolyte what gato means is like "However, using the opportunity cost of using up your Mega slot can be detrimental when using Mega Audino." or something similar. it's isn't much of a problem, though, because sentences like that can be rephrased to "However, Mega Audino taking up your Mega slot can be detrimental when using Mega Audino."

just my two cents~

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I mean if that's the case it's not exactly wordier to say "Using Mega Audino prevents you from using other, possibly stronger Mega Evolutions" or something like that. In fact, "opportunity cost" is vague and unclear; I think the natural tendency will be to shy away from it, but if it really turns into a problem we can just publicly ban the phrase and people will stop using it.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just put your foot down and remove opportunity cost at all times. I don't like how it sounds or how it's used.

Also, if we need to make something official, Mega slot is a good way to do so. But I'd wager to say that every checker are capable of rewording whatever the sentence may be into something suitable without having an official "phrase" to resort to, like Electrolyte's example.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
"Doubles OU" is a relatively new phrase that itself hasn't really caught on yet; thus, we shouldn't complicate things by allowing "DOU" just yet. For readers that are new to the tier or aren't too well-versed in the recent changes, putting "DOU" will confuse them even more since it's not an official abbreviation yet. Also, while most of the Smogon players recognize both forms, we still overwhelmingly use "Doubles OU" when describing the tier, and "DOU" is more of a shorthand slang.

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I've always seen this without anyone making any interjections, but it sticks out as very queer to me so I'll ask about it now. Should we be removing the addition of emotion/humanistic feeling to Pokemon? For instance:

SpDef Skarmory said:
In return, Skarmory counters the Fairy-types that these Pokemon hate.
It's a very minor thing, but I'm essentially asking if "these Pokemon hate" should be changed to something like "that these Pokemon can't handle well on their own" or "that these Pokemon have problems with." Obviously the alternatives are wordier, but that doesn't mean that "hate" is any more accurate, necessarily, because I don't think that's a realistic description.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
accuracy is better than ambiguity, so yes. i feel we should be removing such instances as they appear now, but not in previous analyses unless it's just a few analyses.

GatoDelFuego

If authors could forever stop using the phrase "X is a Y" that would be great. "Scald is a great STAB move that hits lots of targets for good damage" is just pointlessly longer than "Scald hits lots of targets for good damage". There's no point in defining what a move does; just explain why it's being used. I've been cracking down on this for a while but I don't think that "is a STAB move" is acceptable any more. We all know a Fire move is a STAB move on a Fire-type.

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I've always cut fluff like that and anything along the lines of "X is a great option for" when you can just get to the point by saying what X does.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
'Hidden Ability' or 'hidden ability'? The couple dex entries I can find that use it don't seem to be consistent, I don't want to rely on outside sources because we deviate from the in-game spelling in lowercasing plain 'ability', and it isn't covered in the standards as far as I can see, so yeah.
I'm changing it to 'hidden ability' for now for consistency with us lowercasing plain 'ability', but I reckon uniformity/clarity would be nice :3

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
'Hidden Ability' or 'hidden ability'? The couple dex entries I can find that use it don't seem to be consistent, I don't want to rely on outside sources because we deviate from the in-game spelling in lowercasing plain 'ability', and it isn't covered in the standards as far as I can see, so yeah.
I'm changing it to 'hidden ability' for now for consistency with us lowercasing plain 'ability', but I reckon uniformity/clarity would be nice :3
They either shouldn't even be defined as a "hidden ability" at all (if it is it's probably just fluff) or if they need to be Dream World ability to stay consistent with the earlier stuff.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I could see STAB move of choice when there is an option between stuff like Flamethrower and Fire Blast, also with the actual deliberation betterment the two

quality.

GatoDelFuego

Let's take a closer look at the above post:

So right now, take a set of...DPP Electivire

Electivire @ Expert Belt
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Mild Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Cross Chop
- Flamethrower

Saying "Thunderbolt is Electivire's STAB move of choice." is a bad phrase because it doesn't give any information as to what makes it good. But say Electivire had Volt Switch instead of Hidden Power Ice...something like "Thundebolt is Electivire's STAB move of choice to hit most of its targets. Volt Switch lets Electivire gain momentum for its team." would be acceptable.

queez

wandering and wondering
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi!
Some analyses mention moves, items, EV spreads, etc. in Set Comments when they aren't even mentioned in the set (ex: in a Pelliper analysis, the writer discusses Air Slash and Rocky Helmet in Moves and Set Details, but neither of those are actually listed in the set.) Should anything alternate that isn't mentioned in the actual set be moved to Other Options?

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
hi!
Some analyses mention moves, items, EV spreads, etc. in Set Comments when they aren't even mentioned in the set (ex: in a Pelliper analysis, the writer discusses Air Slash and Rocky Helmet in Moves and Set Details, but neither of those are actually listed in the set.) Should anything alternate that isn't mentioned in the actual set be moved to Other Options?
nope
It's fine to mention alternate options in moves / set details that aren't good enough to be slashed on the actual set but too good / set-specific for OO, just looks a lot cleaner (e.g. if a set has many viable coverage moves it becomes a mess to slash them all on the actual set, and mentioning alternate EV spreads in the set itself isn't gonna look too pretty either, so mentioning those in set comments is a nice middle ground)

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Noticed people making this change recently and I followed suit, but why is "for super effective damage" better than "super effectively"? What's wrong with "super effectively"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)