Ladder Anything Goes

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Stradegy / Team Composition Discovered By Me (March 2015)
Hello Ive been experimenting with teams for Anything Goes and finally came up with an OP team after discovering the move in a random battle ;

Here is the Teams and movesets:

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Flare Blitz
- Overheat
- V-create

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Flare Blitz
- Overheat
- V-create

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Flare Blitz
- Overheat
- V-create

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Flare Blitz
- Overheat
- V-create

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Flare Blitz
- Overheat
- V-create

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Mewtwonite Y
Ability: Insomnia
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Psystrike
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Breakdown;

Final Gambit Is A Extreme Move Where The Users Poke Does Damage Equal To His HP To His Enemy.

So, Since The Pokemons That Can Learn This Is Limited I Used The Best HP / Speed Pokemon Availible For This (Victini) .

By Maxing Victini's HP It Does 404 Damage (W/ Final Gambit) When Going First

By Maxing Speed AND Giving It Choice Scarf (1.5x Speed), Victini Goes First Everytime (Most Of)
[Only Time My Victinis Didnt Go First Was When Opponent Uses Maxed Deoxys Speed/Priority Attacks]

Basically This Stradedgy Narrows Down The Playing Field To a 1v1 Battle In Under 10 Turns (If 100$ Successful)

What Other Pokemon To Use In The 1vs1 Later on Then The Best SpA Pokemon, Mew Two Mega - Y, It is best to max its SpA and defense to make it last longer and taking more shots.

How To Beat This Strategy:

Currently The Only Way Ive Lost With This Strategy Is;

-Opponent Uses A Faster Pokemon To Attack First (Deoxys Speed so Far For Me) Causing Victini to Lose HP and not making a 1 Hit KO

-Opponent Uses Substitute, causing substitute to fade and victini to die

My Record with this stradegy:

39-4

Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-243768224
I versed you earlier today and beat you with a sturdy mon, please be honest. Also with the amount of priority users in AG there's no way you went 39-4. Actually scrap that 39-4 isn't actually as good as my brain pictured it.

No offence but that is the worst victini set I've ever seen. Why would you have 3 fire moves, you're going to be locked into one so what's the point??? Then if we're really accepting I guess you could have a way to counter poth physically defensive and specially defensive. But then you still have vcreate and flareblitz. Please rethink the moveset based on others have written above.

And sorry, if you've been using it since March then my apologies. Not my invention then. And there is no universe where this is OP. Except maybe under 1200 Elo...

Edit: In that replay your opponent should have dragon danced and then ascented. But he/she probably had a dragon claw, outrage, dragon pulse set based on his rank

Last edited:

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Going off the strong core of Mijzelffan suggested, a core of p-don, scarfed p-ogre and either m-ray or m-mewtow x/y would be a very strong core, and almost no groups of 3 mons (which is what would be left after gambit in theory) who will be able to stop all 3.
After a dragon dance a mega Ray could kill all 3 :/ And then proceed to outspeed the victinis as well...

Edit: whaddafaq is scarfed p-ogre? :P

Due to Arceus' stats, access to Extreme Speed, and access to Swords Dance, it literally 6-0s that Victini team if it's max HP as well as almost every ladder team in existence. It also has been a win con against most teams, and it's so good that sometimes you really don't even need the legendary Rayquaza to be on your team, as they perform similar roles.

Also davidly1 you don't have to capitalize every word.

Hey everyone!
I've been laddering lots in AG at the moment and have really been loving it. I had recently hit #41 on the ladder-then I hit a team of Klefki x 6. Now, I'm usually OK with Klefki, but this team broke through mine easily, simply due to the amount of Klefki. This got me thinking. I know that the tier is called Anything Goes, and I understand that the entire point is to be pretty chillaxed about the usual rules, but this team is, simply, broken. It has no strategy to it whatsoever, as it is simply the same mon used six times. Thus-my proposal:

Species Clause-The same Pokemon may only be used three times at the maximum on the same team.

Calm down. I can hear your heavy, angry breathing. Let me explain further. AG has, at the moment, no species clause. There have been lots of cool things happening because of this, like the rise of the E-sweeper. However, the most of the same mon that I have ever seen on a non-troll or non-broken team is three. So, why not re-create the species clause to three? Well, this change would help to stop broken, metabreaking teams such as mentioned from dominating. Through this, a better meta can hopefully emerge, a meta encouraging not only flexible teambuilding, but thoughtful teambuilding.

AG wasn't meant to be a balanced format. The reason it exists was to give a completely broken Pokemon a place where you can use it. The only reason Endless Battle Clause is implemented into it is to make it playable. I personally don't find teams of all 6 of the same thing to be any more broken than well made teams that consist of three or less of the same thing. AG is a fairly unique meta and I don't really want to add a form of Species Clause, even though I don't think it would affect very much.

im gonna post a RMT

Tell that to Ace and his 6ceus, he will shoot you.
6ceus is possible to deal with-6klef isn't.
It would affect it in a bad way. 6 keys isnt a threat if you have a decent team, even without a wall. 6 arceus is fun to play and it was cripple that. And I agree, endless battle clause is needed. It doesn't take skill to make an infinite stall.
I would really enjoy watching anyone try to win against the 6klef team I played-Im just surprised that it hadn't already peaked the ladder

Chloe

NUPL Champion
Because I'm bored and sleep is for scrubs, I thought I'd make a guide on the types of teams you are likely to encounter in AG:

So rather than categorise teams into HyperOffensive, Stall, Balanced e.t.c. I thought this might be more effective due to many new players not understanding the different playstyles and also, I liked doing it this way..

Standard
These are what make up the majority of the meta. Uberish teams that are usually prepared for a beating or to deliver one. If I was to follow the general playstyles this would involve offence and balanced. These teams are usually well balanced in typing consistencies and weaknesses.

Johncenasucks vs u98: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-244959942

EKiller Spam
These teams often use 3+ Arceus (mostly EKiller set) and support. Two EKillers is generally a good amount for these teams followed by counters for its counters, such as fairyceus for fighting types and fire types for Ferro and Skarm.

Hunter vs Curve: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-246190391

SwagPlay
What AG is mostly known for (after the home of Mega Rayquaza), is the presence of the keys spamming swagger and thunder wave. These teams heavily rely on luck, and are not very common high ladder, except for the presence of one or two per team sometimes.

Klefki Industries vs Bastick: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-247320605

Baton Pass / Evasion
Baton Pass is a strategy that you will see throughout the whole span of the ladder. They often involve all six Pokemon acting as a prevention for whatever stops the team (Magic Bounce for Roar) and Stored Power is often used as a finisher. These teams also heavily rely on luck but not to the extent of SwagPlay. These teams catch even the best Standard players off guard.

Leafstorm121 vs MasterLucarion: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-244890002

Hazards
These teams often involve setting up a great deal of hazards to win. Whether it be sticky webs or toxic spikes hazard teams can be rendered ineffective if hazard setters have been dealt with and Defog is present on the foe's team. However without Defog these teams smash through most Standard teams.

Zangooser vs Curve: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-245579193

Trapping
Trapping teams are fairly unheard of in the AG metagame, but can be effective if used correctly. They involve Shadow Taggers and Arena Trappers, Perish Song and heaps of other shenanigans that make these teams unique.

Semen vs unbo: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-239253568

Overall Stupidity
Very common low ladder. Feature definitely not viable sets and users who expect to win with them... The users will often have a go at you for using legendaries or not letting them win.

Last edited:
Very weird questions but what's better ( I know both suck)

1. Moody Bibarel without Protect and Substitute or Base Gyarados
2. Moody Bibarel with Protect but not Substitute or Base Gyarados

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Don't use moody bibarel. End of story. All moody mons have awful stats and you depend on luck and still lose to stuff like whirlwind. If at all use mega glalie or smeargle.
(also your name and the end of the post above you teehee)

Chloe

NUPL Champion
But is it better than non mega Gyarados though?
You can't really compare the two. One is a somewhat strong attacker and the other is a luck based booster that could be good or bad depending on a dice roll.

I'd think of it as this, When you have a Pokemon that can learn Thunder and Thunderbolt, which one do you choose? Of course, it often depends on what else is in the meta. Kyogre and Ho-Oh are two things you'd use it on and both can be killed by a +2 Xerneas modest Thunder. Apply this example to your situation. What will Gyarados do that is beneficial with much more powerful attackers in the meta? Moody Bibarel might have a use, though if you really want to do well, both are as terrible as the other.

I'm sorry I can't really give you a clear answer, but I'm unsure myself. Probably the Bibs if you can use it properly.

Very weird questions but what's better ( I know both suck)

1. Moody Bibarel without Protect and Substitute or Base Gyarados
2. Moody Bibarel with Protect but not Substitute or Base Gyarados
I played around with Moody Bibarel in BW Wifi. It's bad. It dies way too quickly. I used Protect, Waterfall, Return, and something that wasn't Substitute. Pretty much I needed to only lose Special Attack boosts. Maybe Evasion boosts if I wasn't getting them in the first place. If I lost Attack, Speed, or Accuracy, I can't sweep. (I don't trust 75% accuracy) If I lost either defenses I'm very easy prey too.

Sure it starts to get easy if you can survive a few turns, but unless you can, you will die without doing much. There are better Pokemon out there than Bibarel.

Chloe

NUPL Champion
The Endless Battle Clause for AG has been modified recently. Here is the current banlist:

- Leppa Berry + Recycle/Harvest
- Leppa Berry + Assist(Recycle)/Trace(Harvest)
- Leppa Berry + Trick/Switcheroo/Bestow
- Leppa Berry + Fling
- Magician + Skill Swap

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
The Endless Battle Clause for AG has been modified recently. Here is the current banlist:

- Leppa Berry + Recycle/Harvest
- Leppa Berry + Assist(Recycle)/Trace(Harvest)
- Leppa Berry + Trick/Switcheroo/Bestow
- Leppa Berry + Fling
- Magician + Skill Swap
Why are these banned? The first two don't give your opponent infinite PP. As far as I see it, none of these lead to endless battles. They are just PP stalling strategies and should be legal considering this is ANYTHING goes.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
You don't give your opponent infinite pp, you give yourself infinite pp so you can forever Heal Pulse on your opponent's Struggles.
So then shouldn't they be banned with heal pulse as well? i.e. The clause should be:
- Leppa Berry + Recycle/Harvest + Heal Pulse
I don't really care since I rarely dabble in this tier but just wondering.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anything Goes allows anything you can do to your opponent in-game in order to win the battle (well, barring items purchased in shops). The objective of PP stalling isn't to win directly, it's to simply drag the battle on infinitely until the opponent forfeits, which despite the name of the meta falls outside the main objective and thus isn't allowed.

Anything Goes allows anything you can do to your opponent in-game in order to win the battle (well, barring items purchased in shops). The objective of PP stalling isn't to win directly, it's to simply drag the battle on infinitely until the opponent forfeits, which despite the name of the meta falls outside the main objective and thus isn't allowed.
PP stalling can't drag on infinitely unless it's under specific circumstances.

For what it's worth, Zarel has come up with in-game rules that stop all forms of endless battles, including future and past metagames. Maybe they should be implemented for AG.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)