Xatu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- Signal Beam
- Trick

Nothing super original in putting a scarf on a fast mon with trick, but I just never see this set on the ladder and have had some decent success with it. The reason why it works so well is pretty simple, people NEVER expect it. Xatu often runs colbur berry so it's not even as if the lack of lefties or LO was giving away your scarf. With so much (very important) extra speed and the ability to trick a scarf, the surprise factor plays a HUGE role while using this set and can really pay off. things like sneasel will come in to pursuit you and will be suprised you actually outpseed them and hit them with a SE heat wave or signal beam (if that's what you're locked into). On the other side, there are very few xatu counters that don't mind getting tricked a scarf, the only common ones I can think of are mesprit and mega dino (who actually fears the CM set).

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Xatu @ Colbur Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Psychic / Heat Wave
- Reflect
- Roost

Yet another Xatu set. This one I improvised in order to deal with the recent metagame changes, which would be the fact that Regirock is rising in prominence as one of the tier's hazard setters. This set intends to deal with Regirock while still handling the other hazard setters in the tier. Toxic wears down a large majority of hazard setters, and Reflect greatly aids in softening Rock-type hits, or even against a Sneasel's Pursuit (the Colbur Berry is mainly for taking Knock Offs but it provides additional insurance against Pursuit trapping). The remaining hazard setters, being Garbodor, Mawile, and Ferroseed, are immune to Toxic. Psychic can put pressure on Garbodor and potentially take it out before it poisons you with Gunk Shot, while Heat Wave is a nice quick way to eliminate Ferroseed and Mawile instead of chipping away slowly at them. Keep in mind that without Psychic, Xatu wouldn't be expected to combat Fighting-types as well (although it already struggles to bring down Gallade quickly), meaning Colbur Berry isn't nearly as necessary.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Aids (Volbeat) (M) @ Eject Button
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Encore
- Thunder Wave
- Tailwind
- Seismic Toss

So this was innovated when my friend and I were talking about the importance of sacking. In a meta as offensive as ours because of Gallade and I suppose sneasel lols. Often, you might want to exchange on of your "real pokemon" with 2 magikarps can prevent setup but is useless at tanking / doing damage because at least 2 magikarps would give you 2 free switches into something, while that one of your "real pokemon" has to be just sacked for a single free switch-in because there's no way to avoid a 2hko coming in from some of these absurd threats in this metagame.

Honestly it doesn't really matter what Pokemon I put the button on, but something like this that aids the team with prankster support moves before being ejected looked most reasonable. Volbeat, even with the max investment, isn't bulky enough to avoid most 2hkos. However, it is barely enough to avoid many OHKOs, and this is enough to let me earn 2 free switch-ins with a single Pokemon slot.

Encore is pure value when they don't proc my Eject Button with an attack, as it will be promptly Encored and taken advantage of by my team. Often, the threat of encore is often enough to force multiple switches and prevents them from deviating our master plan. Priority Tailwind is a very legitimate strategy because sometimes vs. offense you don't need a free switch but the ability to outspeed your opponent because maybe your opponent has a random-ass ass scarfer that you can't outspeed otherwise for whatever reason because how on earth do you expect scarf Simipour or something idk. Tailwinding just before fainting gives my wallbreaker 3 turns to do whatever vs. opposing offensive team while it cannot be touched. Thunder Wave to spam if your Eject Button is already gone, yet you're not in OHKO range of something for whatever magical reason. Also you can I guess paralyze slowmons for higher chance of setting up for scot free, etc. Seismic Toss to do consistent damage, though i suppose either u-turn or bug buzz (if bug buzz, change pokemon to illumise) works just as well.

I think Eject Button is a legitimate item choice when literally everything you see on the ladder is offense and volt turn. Did u know that eject button denies volt turn users from switching out?? Tell me if you think I'm stupid or something, but I do think I'm onto something at the very least usable, and fares particularly well against common offensive playstyle by providing free switches into a faster revenger, and providing full 3 turns of Tailwind can break the game wide open in a offense vs. offense game.

NICE BERRIES NERD (Pyroar) @ Power Herb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Thief

Power herb solarbeam is a real gimmick that will either remain unused all battle or just cause your opponent to flat ragequit. Inspired by the old OU powerherb Heatran, I thought it would be nice to give pyroar something other than HP grass that will guarantee OHKOs on things like Rhydon and quag (RIP Toad). Also hits sandslash, golurk and some variants of lanturn for good damage and will OHKO if they're coming in off of chip damage + hazards. The real gimmick is thief in the fourth moveslot. The idea being that you can steal the item of something switching in or alternatively take the item of something you outspeed when you can't switch out/switch in again. Hyper voice and fire blast are the obvious mandatory STAB moves you should be running. Not a set to be taken too seriously but certainly one to consider.

Replays:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nususpecttest-244693163
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nususpecttest-243847817 (Go to turn 18)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nususpecttest-244746910

Last edited:

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
One of my favourite mon last gen was golbat as it was probably the best user of my favourite combination of bulk+decent speed+recovery+taunt. Now that pro-bat and serp are in the higher tiers, vigoroth, murkrow and servine remain as the only mons capable of using this combination in NU and vigoroth stands out as it's best user to me.

Vigoroth @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 196 HP / 88 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Slack Off

Speed, bulk, taunt and recovery together make a very effective combination as if an opposing mon is not 2hko'ing you, outspeeding you or is named xatu, it's simply not killing you regardless of it's recovery and set up options. Now in this case, you have to add knock off to the balance because you rely a lot on your item to take attacks but considering vigoroth only has one weakness to fighting and that most knock off users also carry a fighting move anyways (especially if sneasel get's banned) it's not that bad of a flaw.
The set is optimized to outspeed max speed rotom-s and everything slower as getting a speed tie with base 90 speed is not very useful and the extra EVs can be used a lot better in additional bulk. In fact, with the listed EVs, you shouldn't even have a problem with tauros as long as you're hazard free. Indeed tauros's rock climb is probably the strongest physical non choiced, non boosted and non fighting move you'll encounter on a regular basis and it only has 2,3% chance of 2hko'ing vigoroth (1,7% when you consider the possibility of missing). Considering rock climb is bound to miss at least once (85% acc), you should be able to get a toxic in and stall out tauros for a couple of more turns.
Fighting types apart, all you need to worry about on the physical side are poison types that can't be toxiced and can poison you even through taunt and klinklang who even if it can't set up will just never die to double-edge as long as he's got lefties. Still, these guys aren't that annoying mid game since you can just taunt them and switch out.
It may seem like that's still quite a lot of flaws but considering you can actually sweep late game with a mon that can be used defensively throughout the battle and without even having to set up, vigoroth still has a lot of good points going for him, he's not even frail on the special side (219 s.def with evio and 350 hp), he just fears the scald burn and s bomb poison.

For pairing, I'd suggest garbodor as he can handle fighting types and klinklang pretty well and set's up spikes on taunted opposing garbodor (or other poison types). Guts AV hariyama is also a cool partner since he can take knock off, some big special hits as well as scald and s bomb very well for vigoroth.

couple o' calcs

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 196 HP / 88 Def Eviolite Vigoroth: 149-177 (42.5 - 50.5%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Vigoroth: 150-177 (42.8 - 50.5%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
(since you outpseed mesprit, the fact he'll never miss psychic is irrelevant to put in a toxic if you come in with full health though a crit or sp.d drop is bound to happen)

252 SpA Vivillon Hurricane vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Vigoroth: 151-178 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO
(if you ever consider switching him in to take the sleep powder)

Last edited:
Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Volt Switch
-Taunt
-Hidden Power Grass
-Magic Coat/Singal Beam/Thunderbolt

Introducing... Anti-lead Electrode! Electrode is the fastest mon in NU (with the exception of Nijask, but it can't due much to Electrode anyway) and therefore an excellent user of taunt to prevent hazards. Volt Switch is for momentum, Taunt for preventing hazards and recovery, HP Grass for those Quagsires and Rydons who think they can switch in, and the last move slot is a tossup between Magic Coat, which gives Electrode more utility in bouncing back those hazards and status, Signal Beam for Cacturne and Malamar, while Thunderbolt is for better STAB.

Sweet Jesus

Raichu @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Lighting Rod/Static
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Volt Tackle
- Knock Off
- Substitute
- Endeavor

Due to the loss of flying gem and a whole new meta, one of my favourite 5 gen gimmick sets being physical sub endeavor simipour isn't quite as effective as last gen. Knock off's boost however has made it pretty interesting for raichu to run a similar set. Volt Tackle hits harder than electivire's wild charge while knock off is a great coverage move, wrecks ghosts that resist endeavor and at +1 is a good finishing move in general if you can't afford volt tackle's recoil.
If you didn't understand already, raichu can slowly decrease his own hp with substitute and volt tackle recoil until he reaches a point where he can either endeavor something to his pathetic level of hp or attempt a sweep after the activation of the liechi berry.

Note there is a dilemma on what raichu's hp should be. I currently set it in a way that he can sub 4 times and end up at 1 hp to endeavor his opponents to the same level. However this means you must sub 4 times to activate liechi and be at 1 hp where any form of priority will KO you and you won't be able to live any volt tackle recoil whatsoever. If you prefer attacking to endeavor, you might want to consider putting 3 more HP EV's to activate your liechi at 3 subs and keep a 25% hp to hopefully live your own volt tackle.

It's a nice mon to have since it can be both useful early game by taking out an annoying wall or late game by finishing off your opponent's last mons

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Raichu @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Lighting Rod/Static
Jolly Nature
- Volt Tackle
- Knock Off
- Substitute
- Endeavor

Due to the loss of flying gem and a whole new meta, one of my favourite 5 gen gimmick sets being physical sub endeavor simipour isn't quite as effective as last gen. Knock off's boost however has made it pretty interesting for raichu to run a similar set. Volt Tackle hits harder than electivire's wild charge while knock off is a great coverage move, wrecks ghosts that resist endeavor and at +1 is a good finishing move in general if you can't afford volt tackle's recoil.
If you didn't understand already, raichu can slowly decrease his own hp with substitute and volt tackle recoil until he reaches a point where he can either endeavor something to his pathetic level of hp or attempt a sweep after the activation of the liechi berry.

Note there is a dilemma on what raichu's hp should be. I currently set it in a way that he can sub 4 times and end up at 1 hp to endeavor his opponents to the same level. However this means you must sub 4 times to activate liechi and be at 1 hp where any form of priority will KO you and you won't be able to live any volt tackle recoil whatsoever. If you prefer attacking to endeavor, you might want to consider putting 3 more HP EV's to activate your liechi at 3 subs and keep a 25% hp to hopefully live your own volt tackle.

It's a nice mon to have since it can be both useful early game by taking out an annoying wall or late game by finishing off your opponent's last mons
Isnt sub endeavor tauros better as you hit hard with life orb without taking recoil, while hitting ghosts with rock slide or zen headbutt?

Reactions: kay

Sweet Jesus

Isnt sub endeavor tauros better as you hit hard with life orb without taking recoil, while hitting ghosts with rock slide or zen headbutt?
They're simply different mons and both have their advantages but yeah tauros might have a little more. Still I see recoil as something sometimes beneficial since using sub endeavor you sometimes end up facing things that prefer setting up than breaking your subs in which case you want to be able to lose some hp to endeavor it before it's too late (but even then tauros also has double-edge). Still, raichu has a small niche with his different abilities, immunity to t-wave, different stab and coverage as well as a big surprise factor (even after a sub it could be sub np). Rock slide misses out on golurk btw so you'll prefer zen headbutt (or iron head which I like to use to 2hko mega dino).

Also, this:
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mismagius: 185-218 (70.8 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

is not quite as good as this if it's not colbur which it probably will stop running if sneasel get's banned

252 Atk Raichu Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mismagius: 248-292 (95 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKOé

(and that's not even considering liechi boost which is necessary to ohko rotom which is slightly bulkier than missy)

Last edited:

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Endeavor not activating Life Orb was actually a simulator bug that was only recently fixed :/ So I honestly don't think SubEndeavor Tauros have much of any use anymore...

Sweet Jesus

Beheeyem @ Assault Vest
Ability: Analytic
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam/Dazzling Gleam/Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]/[Fighting]
- Psyshock

You think AV magmortar is the shit? Let me present you AV beheeyem!

Beheeyem hits like a truck but he has the problem of being slow and not bulky enough. Fortunately with an assault vest he reaches a very decent level of special bulk (better than magmortar since no speed investment) which is often more useful than having recover on the short term. Beheeyem however has 2 things over other assault vest users that have great attack/sp.a. First off, his ability analytic let's you get that LO boost assault vest users all wished they could have (without the recoil). Second, Beheeyem Has 2 STABs hitting on both defences meaning with the right prediction he is extremly hard to switch into unlike all other AV users.

Heck this thing isn't very complicated, it tanks and it blasts back

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

No Type (Kecleon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Stealth Rock

Kek is actually a pretty cool special wall. It has all the tools it needs to succeed as a fat SpD mon- very high special bulk, reliable recovery, a typing that gives it only a single weakness, and a status inflicting move in Thunder Wave. The question is, why use this over other special walls, such as Audino or Lickilicky?

Firstly- Stealth Rock. This is huge on Kecleon. By taking up a moveslot for Rocks on Kecleon, you do not have to use another of the limited Stealth Rock setters in the tier, which is a great relief for teambuilding. Also, you can use rock/ground pokemon who do not use stealth rock without worrying about synergy issues with other stealth rock setters on your team- for example, it gives you teambuilding freedom in using Shell Smash Barbaracle or Dual Dance Rhydon.

Second- STAB knock off. Lickilicky and Audino learn knock off, but it has nowhere near the damage output that Kecleon has, making physical attackers much more weary of switching in. We all know the benefits of this potentially broken move, as it cripples almost everything in the tier.

Third- Surprise factor. Yes, this comes in useful. For example, when the opponent sends in their Scarf Haunter to finish off an opposing pokemon with Sludge Wave, they may not expect any pokemon to be able to take the hit, letting you switch Kecleon in and get a free knock off. Whereas, if you had Lickilicky, they would probably be more wary and use Trick.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-248754152
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-249366207

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Scyther @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 92 Atk / 164 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Quick Attack

This set looks like complete dogshit and was intended to be a fun thing I built around but I has worked really well, being able to wear down pokemon like Mawile and Garbodor for some good damage.

164 SpA Technician Scyther Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mawile: 166-196 (54.6 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
164 SpA Technician Scyther Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garbodor: 122-144 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

While AA does do more to garb, you avoid the rocky helmet recoil so you can avoid as much recoil as possible as you are already weak to hazards so being able to have more switch ins is great.

Scyther @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 92 Atk / 164 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Quick Attack

This set looks like complete dogshit and was intended to be a fun thing I built around but I has worked really well, being able to wear down pokemon like Mawile and Garbodor for some good damage.

164 SpA Technician Scyther Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mawile: 166-196 (54.6 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
164 SpA Technician Scyther Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garbodor: 122-144 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

While AA does do more to garb, you avoid the rocky helmet recoil so you can avoid as much recoil as possible as you are already weak to hazards so being able to have more switch ins is great.
And with this we begin a trend of special CBs and physical Specs this is the death of smogon I know it....

This is a really gimmicky, matchup reliant set that I thought would give me a fun afternoon of laddering before I stopped using the team, but I peaked at #18 running it so I thought I would share. Definitely not a contender for serious teams, but better than I expected.

Johnny Test @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 188 HP / 68 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Power Whip
- Body Slam/Knock Off/Earthquake

This set's purpose is to sabotage rain and sun teams (and rare hail teams) with Cloud Nine and its special bulk. Against non weather teams, it can function as a pivot (though not as effectively as the standard Licki) and a lure for bulky Water, Ground and Rock types like Quagsire, Lanturn and Rhydon.

68 attack EVs guarantee a 2HKO against standard Gorebyss (assuming Power Whip hits lmao). Special defense is maxed out to take Swift Swim/Chlorophyll sweepers and other assorted threats, with the remainder going into HP to further tank these attacks and improve overall bulk.

Lickilicky can only get Wish through a RSE event Lickitung, so Resttalk provides it with a means of recovery here. Power Whip keeps it from being fodder for Gorebyss, Kabutops and offensive Poliwrath, while also allowing it to lure the sort of thing mentioned above. The last moveslot depends on how much you want Knock Off's utility or to not get walled by Klinklang.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-252270613 - Turn 27, luring in Quagsire and taking it out, walling Vileplume more effectively than standard through Rest
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-250801043 - Putting in a majority of the work against a Hail team
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-251279309 - Turn 20, stopping Victreebel from cleaning late game
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-253285517 - Test game against rain so I can demonstrate the idea (ran into 2 rain teams on ladder and Power Whip accuracy skewed things). Lickilicky put in work but I still had to rely on a Sleep Talk roll at the end, ban rain

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

lilith (Regigigas) @ Leftovers
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Knock Off
- Power-Up Punch
- Substitute

Regigigas is usually completely dismissed because of Slow Start, but I'm here to do it some justice. While Regigigas's speed and offenses are nothing special, it has some really good 110/110/110 defenses. What does this mean for Regigigas? Well, thanks for asking. It means that it's able to create setup opportunities for itself, especially when used in tandem with Substitute. Return is your only useful STAB while Knock Off hits ghosts. Power-up Punch lets it set up in the face of certain walls and potentially negate Slow Start, although that is not its primary function. The spread you see here lets Regigigas outspeed base 50's (i.e. prinplup) and then, after Slow Start has been lifted, it can outspeed neutral base 90's (i.e. zangoose).

Replays:

Man I love Regigigas. It always used to find its way in my normal spam teams back in BW/2 but I haven't given it any love in ORAS. I'll be using that set a bit. It looks pretty useful when you build a solid team around it like you did.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 1 HP / 1 Atk / 1 Def / 252 SpA / 1 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Tailwind

It's Specs Swellow... BUT WITH TAILWIND! Wow! I like the trend of fast offensive Pokemon that can provide utility with Tailwind late game for stuff like CB Sawk/LOrb Samu/any Magmortar. HP Grass is piss weak anyways and I never click it so why not run something that can compliment the rest of your team. I helped a new guy out with a team and saw he was using it so I can't take credit for it tbh. I don't remember his name (I've helped like 4 or 5 new guys today and it's late), so if you see this, help me jog my memory bud :)

I made sure to evenly distribute my remaining evs so Punchshroom couldn't possibly nitpick my set.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I made sure to evenly distribute my remaining evs so Punchshroom couldn't possibly nitpick my set.
Are you even trying bruh?

Pyroar @ Choice Specs / Life Orb / Choice Scarf
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Overheat / Hidden Power Grass
- Sleep Talk

This is an idea I've been considering for some time; Sleep Talk Pyroar makes for a decent Sleep absorber for offensive teams without giving up much offensive momentum. What makes this work is that Pyroar is not only a faster alternative to the slower Vital Spirit Magmortar as a means to check the main offensive Sleep users in the tier (Jynx, Lilligant, Vivillon), but Pyroar's moves are fairly safe choices to Sleep Talk in general since it has two powerful STABs (also Pyroar can trigger Sleep Clause while Magmortar doesn't). On the other hand, Sleep Talking HP Grass against the Sleep users can be disastrous so I wouldn't recommend it highly on the set and just pair this Pyroar with effective counters against Rock-types, which in turn would appreciate Pyroar warding off the Sleep users. Any offensively minded item works well with this Pyroar like any other Pyroar set, except Choice Scarf is now a slightly more appealing option than before to serve as an even better check against the Quiver Dancing Sleep users.

103.gif

Exeggutor @ Choice Band
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Zen Headbutt
- Low Kick
- Explosion

This is a pretty cool set I've been using recently with Lilligant to help lure in special walls. Exeggutor has 95 base attack, which is pretty solid when paired with Choice Band and some pretty strong moves. Wood Hammer and Zen Headbutt are STAB, and Low Kick hits steels that think they can switch in. Explosion is just a good move for when Exeggutor is going to die soon to get some nice damage on something. EVs are fairly standard to hit hard and fast. Torterra is probably a better physical grass type, but everyone expects Eggy to be special, so it has a surprise factor to it.

Sweet Jesus

Complete gimmick, but funny.
Lead Lairon! (And it wasn't even meant to be a pun)

Lairon @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Head Smash/Iron head
- Endeavor
- Metal Burst
- Stealth Rock

Like many leads, lairon can set up rocks and like many leads he should be at 1 hp after the first or second turn of the game. However lairon has a very original way of taking advantage of this and it's through Metal Burst. If you predict the turn your opponent gets you to one hp you can metal burst back 484 damage (only max hp yama survives this). The next turn you either have the choice of setting up your rocks, predict a switch and use endeavor or throw your mighty head smash to finish both lairon and your opponent's mon thanks to his custap berry. Even if you predict wrong first turn, your custap will always let you do at least one of these things unless your opponent has priority. Iron Head or Stone-Edge are options that won't break your sturdy if it needs to be used and won't kill you after custap attacking at 1 hp to keep the momentum but they're a lot weaker and head smash's recoil can actually help you get to 25% hp if your sturdy is ever broken. 0 speed because metal burst doesn't have automatic negative prio and you can run 0 sp.d IVs too if you want to put all your money on metal burst.

Lead archeops still is less risky and has taunt though.

Last edited:

Whiscash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Electric]

That's right, freaking Specs Whiscash. This thing is actually pretty decent, thanks to a good offensive typing as well as good bulk and defensive typing. I never really cared for the DD set, too easily walled by shit like Torterra, Quagsire, and most Grass types. However a Specs set can lure them in and OHKO most of them with Ice Beam, as well as Pelipper and Mantine to hit them with HP Electric. EVs allow you to outspeed defensive Mantine and Poliwrath, Max SpA to deal out as much damage as you can, and the rest is dumped into HP, which coincidentally avoids the 4HKO from Seismic Toss and Night Shade. Plus it doesn't just work as a lure, it surprisingly hits pretty hard, and acts as a Klinklang and Carracosta check too.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Earth Power vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Klinklang: 390-458 (132.2 - 155.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Xatu: 302-356 (90.4 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garbodor: 398-470 (109.3 - 129.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Earth Power vs. 40 HP / 216+ SpD Lanturn: 302-356 (75.3 - 88.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lilligant: 286-338 (101.7 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Audino: 169-201 (41.2 - 49%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 360-424 (124.1 - 146.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Torterra: 520-612 (131.9 - 155.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 291-343 (73.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 264-312 (70.7 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Weezing: 277-327 (83.1 - 98.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Vileplume: 244-288 (69.1 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Hidden Power Electric vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pelipper: 400-472 (123.8 - 146.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Earth Power vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Poliwrath: 186-219 (50.1 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Whiscash Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 306-362 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ

Haters get Bopt (Hitmonchan) @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge/Earthquake

Since Hitmonchan tends to be seen as overwelming, I created a set that differentiates it from other Bands and the like.
Enter Band Chan, who hits extremely hard with High Jump Kick (10 more base power than CCB and without drops) and pretty good coverage. Ice Punch is for Plumes and an accurate move to hit ghosts, Stone edge is to hit the ever-popular Scyther or Earthquake to Hit Garbodor if that's an issue. It also has enough speed to outspeed and 1HKO bulky Xatu. Also Ice punch 2hkos Gourgiest Super.

The main thing that separates Band Chan from Sawk and makes it good is its access to extremely strong priority in Iron Fist-Boosted Mach Punch, which is great for revenge killing or sweeping late game. Here are some calcs vs common Mons to show the power.

252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Klinklang: 200-236 (70.4 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tauros: 234-276 (80.4 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shiftry: 338-398 (105.2 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 159-187 (54.6 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

It's a Penis (Combusken) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 128 Atk / 128 SpA / 252 Spe (Attack and Sp Atk. EVs can be altered)
Mild/Lonely Nature
- Work Up
- Protect
- Fire Blast/Flare Blitz/Fire Punch
- Sky Uppercut/Brick Break/Focus Blast

With the Baton Pass clause being updated, Combusken was released from the prison that is BL3. From then on, he decided he was sick of passing boosts for other pokemon to take the glory and decided to become a sweeper/cleaner himself. Thus, Mixed Work Up Combusken was born.

The idea is simple: acquire a work up boost, protect for an extra bit of speed and start sweeping. Ideally, priority mons should be killed and bulky mons weakened for Combusken to break through more easily due to it not taking a hit to save its life. Due to the diversity of this set, Combusken can run what ever physical/special STABs it likes, as well as choosing the appropriate nature/EVs it wants to give certain moves extra fire power and also ensure crucial 2HKOs or KOs before or after boosts. This also reduces the number of things that can wall Combusked. For example, Weezing is a great wall to physical variants but does not appreciate a fire blast at all.
Fire Blast: Best special fire move out there. Accuracy can be a pain but worth it for power.
Flamethrower: 100% accurate but can miss out on needed power.
Flare Blitz: Very powerful physical move to use but heavily stacks recoil with life orb.
Fire Punch: Significantly weaker but allows Combusken to remain healthier.
Brick Break: 100% accurate fighting move that provides situational utility.
Sky Uppercut: Slightly inaccurate but provides slight power boost compared to brick break.
Focus Blast: Only special fighting move available. Risky but a rather large surprise factor.

Hope this inspires a few people as this is just one of many ways to tap into Combuskens great potential in NU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)