Other Tiers GSC Little Cup [Stadium 2]

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
Pokémon Showdown is wrong, and PO too if it accepts that set. Lovely Kiss CANNOT be learned by Smoochum in Gen 2.

Natural Talent

Don't die trying to live..
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hey can we unban gold berry until further testing actually happens? i think it's ridiculous that in the v2.0 inception of this metagame we're taking such actions based on the opinions of like 3 people. especially when the only reasoning cited amounts to "we think gold berry chansey is busted". imo we need overwhelmingly convincing evidence of that before we even talk about banning the item. furthermore if the only justification for chansey being allowed is that gold berry's all that makes it op, it must be a lot worse than this thread + several games have led me to believe...

scyther i can understand, it 2hkos everything in the tier and that's insane. scyther = deoxys-a. but let's hold off on more bans as a matter of philosophy until the metagame is given time to mature.
The reason with not unbanning Gold Berry It's the fact that with the berry it makes a mon boderline broken. It can almost fully heal chansey humongous health , a mon with already extremely good bulk due to HP. Curse sets get even better now that it can live 1 hit and heal up to full without wasting a turn on Soft - Boiled. It will be hard to take down after 1 curse at near full hp and can curse again if anything.

Chansey's support set will just get a better recovery without wasting a turn. It doesn't make this set really broken but just better unlike the curse set.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
yeah and my point is give it time before you wildly claim anything is broken, there have been like 10 games of this meta in the past 2 months and we're already saying an item is beyond any reconciliation

froggy25 what resource are you citing on the smoochum lovely kiss? pokemon online also says it's legal.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Smoochum_(Pokémon)/Generation_II_learnset

bulbapedia doesn't list the father necessary to breed lovely kiss but does note that it's possible to learn. also notes that it's only a result of "chain breeding" (idk what this term means in gen 2) and that it's only available in versions Gold and Silver, so maybe illegal in Crystal somehow? and does that make it illegal?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
yeah and my point is give it time before you wildly claim anything is broken, there have been like 10 games of this meta in the past 2 months and we're already saying an item is beyond any reconciliation

froggy25 what resource are you citing on the smoochum lovely kiss? pokemon online also says it's legal.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Smoochum_(Pokémon)/Generation_II_learnset

bulbapedia doesn't list the father necessary to breed lovely kiss but does note that it's possible to learn. also notes that it's only a result of "chain breeding" (idk what this term means in gen 2) and that it's only available in versions Gold and Silver, so maybe illegal in Crystal somehow? and does that make it illegal?
On the Lovely Kiss page there's an asterisk noting it's impossible to get.

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
The comment is wrong, I made a commit changing that comment.

The code though is 100% correct. Every move following "if !_CRYSTAL" is illegal.

Natural Talent

Took a while to bring the tier this but it's finally here.
Couldn't have done it without the help of unfixable and Typhlito who helped me with some of the viability rankings.
Speeds are next to the mons. (courtesy of me)

The Viability Rankings

Houndour (16)
Basically the snorlax of LC.

Chansey (14)
Diglett (19)
Elekid (19)

Abra (18)
Chinchou (16)
Cubone (13)
Exeggcute (13)
Gastly (17)
Machop (13)
Magby (18)
Pineco (11)
Porygon (13)
Staryu (18)

Bellsprout (13)
Doduo (17)
Drowzee (13)
Omanyte (13)
Onix (16)
Poliwag (18)
Ponyta (18)
Remoraid (16)
Tentacool (16)
Voltorb (19)

Charmander (13)
Cyndaquil (13)
Dratini (14)
Ekans (15)
Geodude (11)
Grimer (12)
Growlithe (15)
Horsea (15)
Koffing (13)
Krabby (14)
Larvitar (13)
Magnemite (14)
Mankey (16)
Meowth (18)
Natu (16)
Nidoran-F (13)
Nidoran-M (14)
Oddish (12)
Paras (12)
Phanpy (13)
Psyduck (15)
Ryhorn (12)
Sandshrew (13)
Shellder (11)
Slowpoke (11)
Smoochum (16)
Snubbull (12)
Spearow (16)
Spinarak (12)
Teddiursa (13)
Togepi (11)

Cleffa (11)
Eevee (15)
Hoppip (14)
Pichu (15)
Pidgey (15)
Rattata (16)
Squirtle (14)
Venonat (14)

Caterpie (14)
Goldeen (16)
Hoothoot (14)
Igglybuff (11)
Kabuto (15)
Magikarp (17)
Mareep (13)
Marill (13)
Sentret (11)
Slugma (11)
Sunkern (12)
Swinub (14)
Weedle (14)
Zubat (15)

Edit : we'll probs get a separate thread and make it look way better . I just pulled this out quickly in ~4 hours

Last edited:
Took a while to bring the tier this but it's finally here.
Couldn't have done it without the help of unfixable and Typhlito who helped me with some of the viability rankings.
Speeds are next to the mons. (courtesy of me)

The Viability Rankings

Houndour (16)
Basically the snorlax of LC.

Chansey (14)
Diglett (19)
Elekid (19)

Abra (18)
Chinchou (16)
Cubone (13)
Exeggcute (13)
Gastly (17)
Machop (13)
Pineco (11)
Porygon (13)
Staryu (18)

Bellsprout (13)
Doduo (17)
Drowzee (13)
Magby (18)
Omanyte (13)
Onix (16)
Poliwag (18)
Ponyta (18)
Remoraid (16)
Voltorb (19)

Charmander (13)
Cyndaquil (13)
Dratini (14)
Ekans (15)
Geodude (11)
Grimer (12)
Growlithe (15)
Horsea (15)
Koffing (13)
Krabby (14)
Larvitar (13)
Magnemite (14)
Mankey (16)
Meowth (18)
Natu (16)
Nidoran-F (13)
Nidoran-M (14)
Oddish (12)
Paras (12)
Phanpy (13)
Psyduck (15)
Ryhorn (12)
Sandshrew (13)
Shellder (11)
Slowpoke (11)
Smoochum (16)
Snubbull (12)
Spearow (16)
Spinarak (12)
Teddiursa (13)
Tentacool (16)
Togepi (11)

Cleffa (11)
Eevee (15)
Hoppip (14)
Pichu (15)
Pidgey (15)
Rattata (16)
Squirtle (14)
Venonat (14)

Caterpie (14)
Goldeen (16)
Hoothoot (14)
Igglybuff (11)
Kabuto (15)
Magikarp (17)
Mareep (13)
Marill (13)
Sentret (11)
Slugma (11)
Sunkern (12)
Swinub (14)
Weedle (14)
Zubat (15)

Edit : we'll probs get a separate thread and make it look way better . I just pulled this out quickly in ~4 hours
Just something quick I agree with a good amount of the rankings here, the one I don'the agree with is tentacool, it is a good fallback check to houndoom and pretty much a good amount of waters and fires while Abra may flat out kill it, I feel it deserves of be higher due to access to spin , decent speed, and checking the top threat of the tier. Also not to mention it can run a SD set, meaning that it not only has good bulk but it also has relevant offensive prowess as well. I believe it at least deserves B.

Natural Talent

Anybody wanna battle on PS?

Also what exactley does Houndor do?
It does multiple things. it has little to no switches using the Sunny Day Solar Beam set. Also, it's a really good pursuit trapper.

Ps: You can find me in the Old gens room.

Ok so just had a game and I can confidently say that Chansey should literally move up to S+. It centralizes the meta just like Lax in OU.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2customgame-250043783
One battle is not enough to know if a Pokemon should change ranks. Houndoom is S+ because it's most definitely the best, Chansey has a few flaws such as being overwhelmed (2HKOed by Houndour) and being defeated by the two other S Ranks are both able to defeat it quite simply. It's a threat you prepare for, but it is not S+ in my eyes. Tagging Typhlito for input.

One battle is not enough to know if a Pokemon should change ranks. Houndoom is S+ because it's most definitely the best, Chansey has a few flaws such as being overwhelmed (2HKOed by Houndour) and being defeated by the two other S Ranks are both able to defeat it quite simply. It's a threat you prepare for, but it is not S+ in my eyes. Tagging Typhlito for input.
Something to note. It will not 2hko unless you are under the sun so essentially it is a 2hko for 3 turns. This is not counting fire blast miss rates, and other random variables. You also need too high roles so not the most reliable way to kill Chaney but still decent. Also to all of you looking to check houndour, for defensive checks you got Chansey and tentacruel. Tentacruel is the best Chansey is a close second. Offensive checks can include anywhere from something with stab fighting water or ground or rock to your own houndoom. In general your best thing against it is diglett offensive water or your own houndour.

I wanna suggest that tentacruel moves up to a if staryu is in a I believe it belong in a too as well. I mean if you look at it they have the only ways of checking spikes. Staryu checks dour from the offensive side of the spectrum and tentacruel from the defensive side so overall cruel should move up as it is the best doom check imo. One more thing to spark up discussion a potential move down exeggcute to b it is killed by a lot of things rather easily houndoom, magby, hp bug machop, porygon with ice beam.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Tentacool is a very interesting Mon. It has great speed and sp def. It has access to rare moves like mirror coat, haze, barrier and rapid spin. It's poison typing is not that big of an issue with hound keeping most psychics in check. I think it should move up a few spots to more of a B/B+ range. Wouldn't put it higher than that due to its lack of recovery outside of rest which is kind of a problem since everything hits so hard.

Last edited:
Okay so to revive this thread I guess I can offer up some new questions. Is houndour required on every gsc lc team? I have had some decent success with some teams without it provided we have not exactly had tourney play yet in this tier. All I know is that every team should have a couple of things, two houndoom checks at least the best is still tentacruel imo and funny thing is that houndour checks itself in some ways. Meaning that if it is required you got one right there. Essentially have at least two ways to deal with s-s+

Natural Talent

Okay so to revive this thread I guess I can offer up some new questions. Is houndour required on every gsc lc team? I have had some decent success with some teams without it provided we have not exactly had tourney play yet in this tier. All I know is that every team should have a couple of things, two houndoom checks at least the best is still tentacruel imo and funny thing is that houndour checks itself in some ways. Meaning that if it is required you got one right there. Essentially have at least two ways to deal with s-s+
I don't think houndoom is required on every team but it's a really good mon in general. S-S+ checks aren't that bad on teams since all the ranks below that are really stable. I haven't got to play in a while and could try to get some tours in the old gens room.

There are a few Houndour checks in the tier. Some being
Chansey, Diglett, other Houndour, Tentacool, Magby, Porygon, Staryu, Poliwag.

i am back! this is pretty old. let's spark some discussion. is houndoor broken? why or why not?

Typhlito is cute btw!
Why do we even think Houndour is broken? I would've assumed Little Cup is all about abusing speed, and Houndour just isn't quite fast enough to outspeed any of the fast stuff, and not good enough defensively to take many (if any) hits from them.

Stuff like Elekid, Abra, Staryu, Gastly, Diglett seem better, although I guess Abra gets worse if everyone is using Houndour. And Chansey with Curse, Body Slam, Softboiled, Ice Beam is probably the best Pokemon.

I also don't think Porygon is much of anything because it is slow and can't do Agility to my knowledge. Maybe it can win 1 on 1's quite often but special it does not seem.

I just don't get how people even begin to think that something so poor defensively with relatively bad speed is anything close to broken.

Last edited:
A forgotten Pokemon.

Doduo@Gold Berry
Drill Peck
Double-Edge
Quick Attack
Substitute

Substitute is there to abuse Thunder Wave support and Berry Juice, but can also be used to block status. If you are deadly afraid of resisters, you can always carry Hidden Power Grass or Ground, but I think a developed metagame would discourage the use of Onix and Magnemite. The main draw of Doduo is its access to STAB Quick Attack which allows it to do impressive stuff outside of revenge killing like defeat Abra 1 on 1 with full HP if you know Abra doesn't have a berry left. It has just enough defensive ability to survive a STAB attack from almost anything (it can survive Houndour's Fire Blast, and even Abra's Ice Punch).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)