is Apple better than Samsung?

hellpowna

beware of coco
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
what do u think? i think Apple is better because the app story allows you to change stores to other countries. And other countries allow you to download different apps. I once owned a Samsung Galaxy Ace for free because if was part of my plan. Only then I found out how horrible it was. The apps kept shutting down when I tried to open it. Sometimes, Apple app shuts down too but at least I could delete it from history and open again and it will open. I can't even delete history from Samsung phones. Many apps in apple can't be found in Sa,sung and that's horrible,
Secondly, Samsung copies many smartphones models and just modifies it by a bit to make it 'theirs'. They have already copied Apple with Galaxy ace and Apple alas already sued them. Then we done in terms of how well the product is made. My friend works for Apple and so I see the internal of each smartphone, the tools are tiny and assembled together is very well.
Lastly, Apple is soooo much faster, no matter what than Samsung.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm very tempted to use bait macros, but *sigh*.

All of what you've said is subjective, and really any flame war over these 2 really is. It all just boils down to your preference. And seriously even then I'd use a better reference point than a 2010 android device and 00's propaganda. This post itself reads like a reddit fanboy post it's from 2010. Many of these points (regarding app store history etc - really almost everything) are plain wrong in this day and age.

There won't be any productive discussion with an OP like this.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
WINDOWS PHONE MASTER RACE

Agreeing with Soul Fly on OP topic too.

But seriously though, I've taken quite a disliking to Apple's terrible OS and it's layout. I would much prefer Windows or Android over an Apple phone. I haven't ever owned Android but I've heard plenty good about it.

I can say for fact that Windows Phone OS 10 is something I really really look forward to and I can't wait for Microsoft to actually release a new flagship phone which they haven't done in quite a while.

I prefer Apple for their Ios, and it's more accsessible than Samsung. And if you really think about it, Samsung's really been trying to copy apple. And plus Samsung's way to big for my hands. (Just try the Galaxy S6 in your hands.)

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
All personal opinions with no statistics or specs. Not something I'd expect on Smogon.
Sounds like a mere apple fanboy post.

By the way, I use Sony phones.

Lol at basing your opinion on Samsung phones on the performance of a shitty 99$ phone like the Galaxy Ace, and expecially acting like Samsung is the only producer of Android phones.

I never like Apple iOs, many people said that it is more user-friendly but I found it confusing and annoying as fuck. Plus I do not have other apple products (or other andriod products for)anyway so syncing one device to another is useless for me.

Strangely, I find android easier to use. Another reason I buy Samsung phones are that it is cheaper than iPhones. In my country, iPhone is about $700 with plan. I can buy a Samsung Galaxy S6, which is equally powerful, at $500, ceteris paribus. I do not need those newfangled stuff anyway so a lot of stupid apps that are supposed to make my life easier do not appeal to me.

The only thing that really interest me is a Macbook, which costs a bomb. Tempted to buy it, but I probably will get turned off by the price eventually. My Asus laptop is still going strong for 4 years already, and costs half of a Mac anyway (although battery life is shit).

Samsung vs Apple is a stupid war anyway. Just buy the shit you want, don't hear about what is better. It's a never ending war anyway, and it's your money, buy what you think you will like.

We (me and my friend) had been once throwing with my old Samsung smartphone (not the best of best models, though, but served well..) in a corridor. In the process, we accidentaly damaged painting and wall behind with it, but Samsung stood (almost) undamaged. Try do this with any apple phone. I'm always afraid that only touching apple-phone's display will break it..
And for my old Sam.. may your silicon soul rest in peace now..

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Having owned both...

Samsung wins for battery. Ultra power saving and power saving mode are usefu compared to Apple having nothing except a battery that died easily. On that note being able to swap batteries with a battery charger is cool whereas more data battery changing nope you gotta pay more or go into apple store!

Samsung is so cool to design things on whereas apple you're stuck with one display which is not really the greatest. You have so much to explore with Samsung compared to Apple so I see why people like simple Apple but I like being able to edit things.

I preferred apples store I guess compared to the one on Samsung but yea. I prefer customisation and battery related things so Samsung is easily a winner for me.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Having owned both...

Samsung wins for battery. Ultra power saving and power saving mode are usefu compared to Apple having nothing except a battery that died easily. On that note being able to swap batteries with a battery charger is cool whereas more data battery changing nope you gotta pay more or go into apple store!

Samsung is so cool to design things on whereas apple you're stuck with one display which is not really the greatest. You have so much to explore with Samsung compared to Apple so I see why people like simple Apple but I like being able to edit things.

I preferred apples store I guess compared to the one on Samsung but yea. I prefer customisation and battery related things so Samsung is easily a winner for me.
it's a shame samsung shot itself in the foot by making the s6 without swappable batteries/memory, which for me was a big draw for the s series. I don't upgrade my phone often, so I want to be able to replace broken parts of it to extend its lifetime

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it's a shame samsung shot itself in the foot by making the s6 without swappable batteries/memory, which for me was a big draw for the s series. I don't upgrade my phone often, so I want to be able to replace broken parts of it to extend its lifetime
Really? That's so shit, guess my s5 will be lasting me five years then :)

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I wouldn't say that they shot themselves in the foot, given that it's one of the most successful phones of all time. I think that they realized that people care more about build quality and having a pretty device (apple). I definitely understand wanting to swap out parts when they break (does warranty cover things like this?), but most of the complaints were about wanting to swap batteries so as to extend the battery life (they sort of replaced this with turbo charging) and wanting to use sd cards to cheaply extend the memory (which they sort of replaced with inherently higher storage counts, though this is a more expensive option). 99% of users don't care (again, look at apple :P), so it was a very successful business move.

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
id say yes-ish. i work in tech support for the biggest wireless provider in the usa and i will say samsung phones are way more likely to have issues and break down compared to iphones. i dont entirely think its a matter of one being better than the other.

just like computers, ios and android are easy and simple, straightforward or customizeable, respectively. the issue lies in that ios devices are set and forget, where androids require some computer knowledge and maintenance to effectively manage. the software updates dont go over as well, and poor storage/ram management leads to more immediate problems without the proper know how. the average wireless customer isnt techy enough to know how to keep a droid clean and healthy.

also, a big portion of the compenents of ios devices are actually manufactured by samsung which is pretty funny to me. with everything being said, although i think samsung does make some of the better android devices, their build quality isnpretty inconsistent and shotty. i think ios is the better choice for most

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've gotta go with Samsung, even though I have owned an Iphone for 5-6 years. I have messed around with Samsung's before, and its always a more pleasant experience than an Iphone, the amount of customization available on a Samsung is far superior to an Apple phone. Fuck I have to jailbreak my phone just to be able to change the font on my phone or to change the color of the messages app because it hurts my eyes.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I largely prefer android as an OS (use a galaxy S4) and I gotta admit I chose it at first just to be a hipster because everyone else had an iPhone, and this was like when I was in the 10th grade (4 years ago), and got a galaxy note. Had it for a year or two until the S4 came out and I got that. By that time I've already tried iPhones a bunch from my friends or my mum who often came to me asking for help on how to do what etc with her iPhone and I just noticed the layout and the UI in general was really... restricting. I didn't like the fact that you can't have widgets in the homescreen, change font, play around with your 'home screens' etc. I really liked the basic customization Android offered me and was glad I stuck with it instead. One thing in specific that I REALLY don't like about the iPhone is their lack of the 'back' and 'options' buttons next to the home button that most samsung phones have. It makes one-handing the phone a lot easier and more crisp and the iPhone doesn't have that. Not to mention the fact that you're forced to do shit through iTunes and the lack of external memory support etc etc. If I wanna watch a movie or a tv show on my phone I'd just download any torrent, plug my phone to the laptop and copy it there, simple as that. Doesn't work with the iPhone afaik and you have to do it through iTunes which requires you to change the format or whatever the fuck, really annoying.

All in all I really prefer android/my samsung phone over any apple product, but this is coming from a guy who's not really that tech savvy so whatever.

I agree with this. I was about to upgrade to the S6 until I realized they did that and then started having second thoughts and i'll just stick with my current S4 for a while.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Arikado on android, I do find mysmyself missing ios' "swipe to go back or forward". This doesn't work in apps, but that just means that developers have to implement their own back/forward esque buttons when needed (sometimes it is just swiping). I love the new back button, but I really want to go forward sometimes haha.to be fair, a double tap of the iphone home button will bring up Android's windows/tasks/whatever you call the left button. I miss being able to hold the home button to bring up siri too :(

Even better, you can torrent directly from your android phone ! No need for a laptop at all haha. Even a jailbroken iPhone is far more restrictive than a stock android.

One is not no such thing as 'better'. Specs wise, yes. In general, no. It always comes down to personal preference.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
One is not no such thing as 'better'. Specs wise, yes. In general, no. It always comes down to personal preference.
Wait a minute... Since when has anything iPhone related have competitive specs? Apple refused to make even an hd screen (and called it retina) for the longest time lol. The battery had always been tiny, the processor has always been worse than competing android phones, and the camera has been smaller (though this doesn't mean worse). ios is just stellar at optimizing what it has (except battery), so everything is super smooth. That's only because you can't do anything on ios to begin with though. A go kart doesn't need to have the same specs as a racecar, but they both work fine for what they do

Apple is the better hardware manufacturer. That being said you can't argue that Samsung copying them warrants a lawsuit. Apple owns incredibly ambiguous software patents, such as their patent outlining a rectangular device with rounded corners. Software wise they are playing catch-up with Google, but that is to be expected as they as a hardware company first and a software company second.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
S6 Active, m8. Apparently they pushed the original S6 at a due date before development even started and the phone was only half finished when the date hit. They learned from the mistake and actually put back everything missing from the S6 into the active. You get an indestructible phone, with S6 + all the old features for pretty much the same price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)