Cretacerus Art

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Update with some Smog Art, this time featuring four of our favourite CAP Prevos^^
I'm sure most of you guys have read the enormous article about their hypothetical perfomance in the LC metagame, if you haven't it's definitely worth the read!

Here are larger version of the article images, I also polished out the background and contrast a bit in retrospect so that the characters stand out better. Hope you guys like them! :)

| Sketch

Last edited:
Oh look, it's the boid!

But seriously, great work on the article. I really like how Brattler turned out. I'm a bit disappointed to not see Snugglow, though.

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Oh look, it's the boid!
But seriously, great work on the article. I really like how Brattler turned out. I'm a bit disappointed to not see Snugglow, though.
Thanks, Mova^^
I can tell you, it was not an easy task to pick a handful of Prevos out off all those great options. Originally I planned on doing only 2-3 images, but I ended up with these 4 due to not being able to further narrow them down!
The lack of Snugglow is probably because of me being absent during that project, but I won't deny that it is one particularly cute design! :D

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
cant say: Sorry that I only start with your request now, the past few weeks have been somewhat busy, partially because of me opening my own trade thread :P
Today I did have some spare time though, so I did up a quick lineart. Feel free to make any suggestions, since I'm still flexible at this point of the progress. Should be able to finish up the image by end of this week^^
Articuno_lines.jpg

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hahaha yes that's amazing! Like, exactly how I pictured it. All it needs is the thread title in little speech bubbles and it's done :D

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Hahaha yes that's amazing! Like, exactly how I pictured it. All it needs is the thread title in little speech bubbles and it's done :D
Alright, here you go! :P

|| Sketch

Apparently, Articuno left the Seafoam Island to make its new home in the Kalos region, so here we have the respective trainers from both Kanto and Kalos. I also experimented with a combination of hard and soft shading in this, since it seemed to work quite well with the image.^^

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
With another issue of The Smog released, here is once again some art that has been featured. I really enjoy drawing images for this project, since it's amazing how all different kinds of people come together to create interesting new content every month.

OM Spotlight: Spe-Neutrality
Aerodactyl_neu.png
|| Sketch
This image was drawn quite some time back, and I've never spend so much time on lineart and shading with any other image before. It was well worth it though, since it actually made it onto the cover page of this month's issue :O
The idea was to show both the nerf to priority moves and the boost to phazing resulting in rather unconventional situations by OU standards. Scizor, together with almost everything else, can't really touch the speedy Aerodactyl in this metagame.

Interview Avatars for Raseri, TTT and anto
Prinplup_yellow.jpg Squirtle_red.jpg Chikorita_green.jpg
This issue also features my first attempts at making interview avatars, and it's really fun to draw all those different expressions on cute Pokemon. :D
Definitely something I wouldn't mind doing more of in future.

Last edited:

Pent

dumb broad
Im writing an article on a seperate forum about how we shouldn't be as competitive. Could you possibly do a banner of this? It doesn't have to be super amazing, but it'd be great if you could. :D

Great art by the way. I saw your Aerodactyl and Scisor picture on the front of #43 of the Smog. Grats on that, I wish I could do art as good as you. :)

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Im writing an article on a seperate forum about how we shouldn't be as competitive. Could you possibly do a banner of this? It doesn't have to be super amazing, but it'd be great if you could. :D

Great art by the way. I saw your Aerodactyl and Scisor picture on the front of #43 of the Smog. Grats on that, I wish I could do art as good as you. :)
Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing some cover art from yourself one day! ;)
I'm not sure what kind of banner you would expect for your article, but portaying abstract concepts is not really within my artistic line. In my images, I usually stick to drawing out subjects in dynamic poses, without conveying any deeper background message.^^

Sorry for another request, can you do Viridi riding on a shiny Virizion (maybe saying "Let's Roll." or something)?

And can you do a pose similar to this?:

Pent

dumb broad

I was maybe hoping for a variety of good in-game pokemon, that aren't too competitive, but have their use in-game. Maybe Pokemon like Flareon, Ursaring, and Spinda?

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
I was maybe hoping for a variety of good in-game pokemon, that aren't too competitive, but have their use in-game. Maybe Pokemon like Flareon, Ursaring, and Spinda?
Ohhh, I see! I was thinking you were going to write an article about social trends or something!
If there's no rush for the article, I can do up a banner with some cute and underrated Pokemon maybe end of July earliest. ;)

---

So, including this I now have eight projects in queue to be done once I get the chance, one of which is rather large as well and consists out of multiple artworks.
Unfortunately, that also means I won't be adding any further requests to my queue until I can finish those, hope you guys understand.

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Here goes my 400th post! :D

This Archeops was originally meant for the Challenger Approaching art contest by brightobject, as a concept for a new Super Smash Bros character.
Archeops would take on the opposite role of Lucario, starting out with incredibly strong attacks but getting weaker the more damage it takes. It would also possess a huge amounts of aerial mobility and speed, though its low weight makes it highly susceptible to Knock Back should it get hit. Its best attack would be Acrobatics, allowing it to swiftly jump around the screen and strike opponents from various angles.

That being said, I was unable to finish up the artwork in time before the deadline closed. Fortunately though, the Smogon Facebook team was working an article featuring Archeops and required some art, so I'm glad the image did find some use afterall. It was posted last week, then disappeared for a while, and can now be seen again here. :D
|| Sketch

The shading technique is the same from my last request art, this time with white outlines. I also experimented with some subtle texture, though it might not be very noticeable in the end result.^^

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Wow, another four weeks have past so quickly, so here's a small update with some new Smog Art.
This issue had a refreshingly strong focus on the competitive aspects, so we did get some slack in the drawing department ;). Also, Sparkl3y has recently joined the team, and helped out with quite a number of articles as well, which means that the art process went extremely smoothly this time round.^^

Anyway, I did up two images regarding RU, a metagame I've always enjoyed and played a lot since its creation in early BW.

RU Spotlight: Flygon

What's new in this image is the colored shading and light effects, which have been mostly black and white up to now. Adding the warm and cold gradients to the image does bring it more to life from how I see it, especially for the hot desert environment that Flygon lives in.
Also, I'm quite honored that Flygon made it on this issue's cover, haha!

RU Suspect Coverage: Pangoro and Moltres
|| Sketch

Also Sparkl3y, there will definitely be shoutouts in my 500th post, so no worries!^^

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Wow your art is amazing! I'm not sure if this is a reasonable request but could you draw a load a legendaries having a massive fight?
I'm very sorry, but I'm quite packed with outstanding art right now, and won't be able to take further requests at the moment. :(
Thanks for the compliment though!

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Hey everyone, here's some art of Garchomp utilizing its amazing stealth powers within a sandstorm on the search for unsuspecting prey. It is featured in this week's PotW on Facebook, so definitely check out the article if interested.^^

I was aiming for a shark-like stance in the image, but unfortunately that didn't work out quite as well as planned. Sharks tend to have their center of gravity far in the front half of the body, which I tried to balance out by taking some artistic liberty with Garchomp's legs and having it walk up against a sandstorm, though the front-leaning stance of Garchomp might still look fairly off balance. I'm quite satisfied with the positioning of the fins though, which managed to reference a shark's at least somewhat. Imagine the large dorsal fin slightly rising above the sandstorm's "surface", while the rest of Garchomp's body would remain hidden behind the sand veil. ;)

|| Sketch

I bet none of you noticed this is actually a shiny Garchomp! ;)

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Hey everyone,

I will finally have more time to work on art in the upcoming weeks, so I'll start taking in requests once again.^^
The OP has been updated with a list of images I'm currently working on, so if you see one of the three slots being Open and you're in need for some art, feel free to leave a request here.

PS: I promised to tag Fiat500 on this occasion, so I guess he'll get priority for the first slot. :P

--------

Anyway, here are some sketches I made for the Pokemon Matchmaking threads, since they are currently "in dire need of a banner", as DarkNostalgia phrased it.
PerfectMatch1.jpg
PerfectMatch2.jpg

My gawd is your art amazing.

Saw you had an open slot, so I capitalized on it. So, I'm looking to make an RMT here very soon, and I want it to look as professional as possible. Usually, I just search up my mega on google and pick a picture I like, but I don't feel as though there are any that are to my liking.

If you don't mind me putting in a request for a banner with mega aerodactyl flying in front of the moon, with a Toxicroak looking up towards them, and the words "Fly Me To The Moon" somewhere beneath that, as that is the name of the RMT it'd be much appreciated.

Hopefully you don't mind fulfilling this request, I really like your art style and am looking forward to what this may end up looking like.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
My gawd is your art amazing.

Saw you had an open slot, so I capitalized on it. So, I'm looking to make an RMT here very soon, and I want it to look as professional as possible. Usually, I just search up my mega on google and pick a picture I like, but I don't feel as though there are any that are to my liking.

If you don't mind me putting in a request for a banner with mega aerodactyl flying in front of the moon, with a Toxicroak looking up towards them, and the words "Fly Me To The Moon" somewhere beneath that, as that is the name of the RMT it'd be much appreciated.

Hopefully you don't mind fulfilling this request, I really like your art style and am looking forward to what this may end up looking like.

Thanks in advance!
Hey there,
I'd be glad to do a banner for you, but just wondering how soon you would need it? There are a couple of requests that I haven't updated in the OP yet, so it might take a bit longer this time. If that's no issue I would add you to the queue.^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)