Blaze Black / Volt White 2

Hey guys! I've recently developed a love for rom hacks, as imo the games are honestly just better than the originals. The increased difficulty curve and ability to practically make a team of whatever you want (as all Pokemon are included in most of them) makes playing them a real pleasure.

I don't really want to go into all the changes and features of the roms, as that's something you can easily find yourselves, what I want to do is talk about some cool mons/strategies you've found, as these games have a ton of replayability and i'll probably be starting a new game and just picking different pokemon once i finish my current run.

if this thread is a success we could possibly look into doing an ingame tier list as well.

---

alright, i'll talk a bit about where i'm at in the game, what my team is, and what i probably plan to end up using. i've currently just entered castelia city while doing a ton of exploring, leveling up, etc.

i started off with snivy because it's my favourite unova starter by far, and with contrary being available to it, it was sure to be a blast to play with. it's going to take ages before i can get leaf storm rolling (serperior is a grass/dragon type btw, so once you reach opelucid it can be taught draco meteor :D. this'll be great for dismantling the e4 end game i imagine). contrary has been really amusing early game, due to the growls, sand attacks, string shots and tail whips being thrown around. snivy does lack power, but it's fast and bulky, and when it evolves into servine it gets dragon rage, which can 2hko everything without difficulties. i luckily got a rash one, which was really nice for me as most attacks early game are physical, and i can boost leaf tornado without diminishing the power of tackle. definetly a really solid mon, i can see it hovering between S and A ranks.

the first pokemon i caught was a bold caterpie. this mon has been BUFFED. when i caught it it had struggle bug and bug bite, and then got electroweb at level 6. this means that metapod can very easily hold its own while waiting for butterfree. speaking of, butterfree has been buffed into a superior vivillon. as soon as it evolved it learned air cutter as well as confusion (satk and sdef are now base 100), then i got sleep powder at level 14. with compundeyes, it's just insane. hurricane has now replaced sky drop as a tm as well, so i can't wait to teach it to butterfree when i get my hands on it. baton pass is now also in its level up movepool, so i can already theorize the monster that will be quiver dance / hurricane / sleep powder / baton pass butterfree (especially passing into serperior hehe). easy S rank to me so far, and with its technical skills im sure it'll hold its own late game

in virbank city i picked up a free piplup from a clown, which has been really solid so far. it learns brine at level 13, giving you a powerhouse move, and then bubblebeam at level 19, which solves some possible PP issues. it'll take a bit of babying, as it comes at level 10, but i just kept rematching brawly (yes there seem to be hoenn gym leaders in towns with gyms that you can battle infinite times) while having it hold the exp share. it's not been doing all too much yet, but its bulky and strong, will be an excellent quiver dance recipient, and will just become a really nice tank mid game, thanks to that lovely steel typing. i can imagine myself slapping ice beam, surf, flash cannon and grass knot onto it when i get the TMs

in the virbank complex i caught a timid nidoran male. this has so far been the weakest link on my team, but after getting venom drench from roxie, it can now do some damage. it's now a nidorino and i'll probably have to train it up a bit, but iirc you can get a moon stone in castelia, so i could have a nidoking (with sheer force) very soon. this is theoretical though atm, but if i somehow manage to pick up a life orb, timid nidoking will definetly put in work. it'll take a while to get going though. another brilliant quiver dance recipient haha, butterfree is broken!

that's all of my team so far, i did catch a magnemite to help with roxie a bit, but it was lonely and i hate having bad natures, so i ditched it after the gym battle. i can see myself catching a litwick further down the road and possibly a farfetch'd (which has been buffed to archeops levels and is now fighting/flying).

---

so guys, if you've played this hack (and if you haven't i strongly recommend it), plese tell me what you've been using! i know there are cool mons around early game that i just didn't pick up, like swinub, riolu, houndour, elekid etc, so i'd love to hear your thoughts

Last edited:
Prob my favourite out of all the hacks, started with Contrary Snivy as well. Did Emboar end up getting changed to Fire/Ground or am I mistaken? Would there ever be the possibility for something like this to happen with the Gen 6 games, or security is "too tight", so to speak?

Prob my favourite out of all the hacks, started with Contrary Snivy as well. Did Emboar end up getting changed to Fire/Ground or am I mistaken? Would there ever be the possibility for something like this to happen with the Gen 6 games, or security is "too tight", so to speak?
I don't see why people can't manage this somehow, considering people have found ways to hack/mod Wii U and other console games which are probably more complex. Not sure how far off the emulators and such would be, but I don't see why it couldn't happen somehow.

Would there ever be the possibility for something like this to happen with the Gen 6 games, or security is "too tight", so to speak?
The creator of Blaze Black/Volt White 2, Drayano, has already announced that he would be creating hacks of ORAS called Delta Ruby and Delta Sapphire.

I'll try to set aside some time to talk about my team in these hacks later since I'm a huge fan of them as well (it's been a while though!), but Drayano's other hacks are also pretty solid. Things like Sacred Gold and Storm Silver are by far his best works, for reasons I won't go into as to avoid spoilers.

Just found Rutile Ruby and Star Sapphire, seem interesting. 3DS firmware can't be above 9.2 or it won't work though.

If I were to take one of these games and download it onto my 3DS, would I then be able to play the game on my 3DS?

So, um... mods? The creator of this thread has since left Smogon; should it be deleted or taken over by someone else?

I LOVE this hack. I've never had so much fun with in a pokemon game before. I'm trying to complete a Nuzlocke run currently but the third gym always takes me out if the first two don't.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So, um... mods? The creator of this thread has since left Smogon; should it be deleted or taken over by someone else?
Is this thread such in need of organizing that one person needs to be responsible for it? Just discuss away, keep the activity on an organic level, and we mods will keep a watchful eye over it like we always do. As long as nobody starts breaking rules, I think the thread will be just fine.

Just started playing this hack recently and reached Castelia yesterday. Swinub is really really horrible though. Comes at a low level, with no noteworthy moves, low Speed and no bulk, it is very difficult to raise in this game compared to Heart Gold. It can't even beat Rotom-Fan with a Super Effective Avalanche, while is 2HKOed in return, even with Eviolite.

Which Pokemon are you guys using in this game? I now have Servine, Haunter, Gabite, Prinplup and Swinub (considering ditching this).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)