Melee Thread (TOURNAMENT SPOILERS TO BE EXPECTED)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Leffen was playing super fucking good goddamn. Plup shocked me too, never seen a Sheik so good and I've never even heard of him before lol. He also literally lost to mango because of pokemon stadium jank. That game was fucking his.

Mango was playing pretty badly, he was drunk day 1 and day 2 idk what was going on. Sad to see Westballz lose to him after winning 2 sets last time they met though ;_; but still 4th isn't so bad for westballz

Idk why Armada insisted on going Fox against Leffen because it was clear who was the better Fox, or at least the person better at Fox dittos. Didn't even try his Peach one game.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Plup used to be the best samus in the world; he took sets off of leffen, westballz, and a game off m2k's shiek at Paragon. He switched to Sheik after getting 49th at APEX15. I agree that Plup is the shiek with the most potential; he really knows how to play the game and has incredibly clean neutral and punishes, i wouldn't be surprised at all by a top 6 at EVO.

Leffen is literally the reason Armada thinks Peach/Fox is unwinnable. Going Peach vs Leffen would have been an exercise in futility, in both his opinion and mine. Meanwhile his Fox used to be able to crush Leffen; clearly not anymore though. Looks like Leffen is an Armada slayer.

Leffen is literally the reason Armada thinks Peach/Fox is unwinnable. Going Peach vs Leffen would have been an exercise in futility, in both his opinion and mine. Meanwhile his Fox used to be able to crush Leffen; clearly not anymore though. Looks like Leffen is an Armada slayer.
what

armada's fox was never able to "crush" leffen. leffen literally ran over armada when he initially switched (6-1 gf win in the first tourney; took the next one as well but i don't remember the score), and now recently the head-to-head has been fairly even. calling leffen an "armada slayer" makes it seem like he's getting wins that he should not because armada is better, when in reality leffen is simply top 3/4 in the world right now and on par with mango/armada.

Last edited:

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
not really about the pot though, I mean mlg is including both games in their 100th event, a pretty big milestone when you think about it and it shows that they still care about smash. They even said they wouldn't deal with smash after the brawl incident

Stratos

Banned deucer.
not really about the pot though, I mean mlg is including both games in their 100th event, a pretty big milestone when you think about it and it shows that they still care about smash. They even said they wouldn't deal with smash after the brawl incident
Yeah i was kidding, the joke was that a 10k pot any other year would break records and this year it's the fifth highest :o

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mango just said on stream he can't go to MLG, his sons birthday is that weekend .cri

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
It would be a lot more hype had it not been on such short notice. With HTC Throwdown, DreamHack, and TBH5 coming up soon the prestige of the event may be worn down a bit. It should still be a great event, but another month's notice would have made it perfect.

Epikhairz

Anything goes
With HTC happening in two days, why don't we get some general thoughts + predictions out in the open?

Despite what Leffen has said about PAX and Paragon being "practice" for HTC, I personally think he will underperform yet again, as he has already talked about being sick on twitter (prejohns?) and I think he cares more about getting bodied by M2K than he lets on. I put him at around the 3rd - 5th range, and maybe he can get 2nd, but I think 1st is a long shot for him at the moment.

As for other Big 6 members (Mango, Hbox, M2K) I think Mango is looking like the clear favorite to take the whole thing. With Leffen slumping and Mango historically being able to run circles around Hbox, he doesn't seem to have much competition other than Mew2King, who he soundly defeated at Paragon. As for Mew2King, he's been going on a huge upward trajectory as of late and has a chance at actually winning, though I still think Hbox is a HUGE obstacle for him and with Mango could honestly go either way (giving the edge to Mango though)

As for the Sheik players, I fully expect Plup to make top 8 at HTC. In Paragon, he unfortunately had to face two gods (Mango/Hbox) due to Hbox losing to Prof Pro and had to settle for 9th, but Plup has shown that he has what it takes to beat both of them. Unfortunately he's going to have to prove that he has what it takes vs M2K in the Sheik ditto if he wants the W because last time they met, M2K hit him up with the 6-0. With Druggedfox he has shown that he can destroy fastfallers with his brutal punish game as seen with close games with Leffen and Mango at EVO, as well as beating S2J at EVO and destroying DJ Nintendo at Xanadu. However, he has recently shown that he struggles vs floaties, losing to MacD and HugS at Paragon for a surprisingly low placing at Paragon coming off of 9th at EVO. And with Shroomed, I think top 8 is feasible for him.

Predictions (take with a grain of salt if you wish):
1. Mango
2. Mew2King
3. Leffen
4. Hungrybox
5. Plup
5. Westballz forgot that he was at DHLondon
5. Axe
7. Shroomed
7. PewPewU

And of course I think DHLondon will be pretty easy to predict (hint - ARMADA)

I'm pretty hyped for TBH5 too - with the compendium going down and Juggleguy as the head TO, it looks like it'll be an amazing event

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I feel like PPU is being slept on hard here, his Marth can probably get the best of weston, especially because of how inconsistent weston can be. Then again he did win against Colbol's Marth numerous times, but I don't think that can be compared to PPU. He's a big contender for top 8 I believe. 5th-7th.

Not sure how he'd fare against Axe though, and Shroomed and Plup would probably be too much for him.

Epikhairz

Anything goes
I personally think that ever since PPU got picked up by CLG that he's been massively overrated. We've known since last year that he was one of the better non-gods with his consistent 9th place at supermajors (CEO, EVO, Apex), but he has never been able to break into that demigod level (Plup, Axe, Westballz). He has only beaten a single god in Hungrybox and Hbox demolished him in the runback at CEO 2-0. Everyone has been thinking since Apex that PPU will break into demigod status, but so far his placings have stayed stagnant, and instead Plup has hit that level since he switched to Sheik at Apex. I think that the competition here is too rough for PPU to place 5th and that he'll place 7th at best, but more likely 9th-13th imo.

Although, who knows, this might be PPU's big break into demigod status. I really want to believe as a Marth main, but chances are looking slim

Stratos

Banned deucer.
ppu never beats any1 in the top 8 lol but he almost never drops things to ppl below him

consistency is his hallmark

Epikhairz

Anything goes
in Paragon LA, ppu was actually knocked into losers by fiction 2-0, who has been experiencing hand pains so debilitating that he's picked up marth as a dual main in 2015 to avoid the hand pains associated with playing fox (played offstream so im not sure which char was used but assuming fox). he was eliminated from the tournament by shroomed. neither of these players are top 8. i don't think he is as consistent as you seem to say in terms of the h2h matchups vs others, but yes in terms of placings he has been very consistent. problem is, he has been placing consistently 9th at supermajors all year, just outside of the coveted top 8.

however, now that i remember that Westballz is going to DHLondon instead of HTC, I feel like PPU should be able to get 7th. He has home turf advantage in NorCal as well, so that should hopefully aid him on his way.

plup knocked out by HMW to losers

mango loses to druggedfox in winners and then gets 17th overall after losing to macd in losers?? wtf

EDIT: M2K just lost to colbol, what the hell is happening

Epikhairz

Anything goes
THIS TOURNAMENT IS CRAZY LOOL. If you're not doing anything, tune in to twitch.tv/HTC or twitch.tv/showdownsmash RIGHT NOW.

HMW/MacD > Plup finishing 17th
DruggedFox/MacD > Mango finishing 17th (his worst performance in at least half a decade)
Colbol sends Mew2King to losers and is in winners top 8
SilentWolf in winners top 8
DruggedFox in losers top 8

This shit is INSANE. my predictions from the posts above have been fucking SHATTERED rofl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)