Doubles OU Player of the Week #41 - Stax

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Mem why'd you make a good sample team I lost to it during seasonals even though I knew the sets:(

plz make your sample teams worse would help me a lot k ty

also fuck marry kill
Stratos Audiosurfer Articblast

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
:^)
Hi Memoric nice interview, few questions for you!

What specifically is it that keeps you coming back to Smogon? Is there any "goals" that you want to accomplish in your time here?
I guess what makes me come back to Smogon is the friends I made here in the Dubs community, the only community I really "reached" in on. If it wasn't for the dubs guys, I probably wouldn't have the drive to keep playing rn since, while mons can be fun, playing it all on my lonesome without anyone else to talk about it can get really old, especially since im the only one in my irl circle that plays pokemon at all. I guess since I have friends here, I find more fun out of playing competitive mons n stuff. Kinda fun for me as a person too since I'm not really a people person so having more people to talk to is always nice to have :^)

I don't really have any big goals that I want to get since lol internet points, but the thing I really want to get the most is the Smog Media badge because I really enjoy writing and The Smog, and having the badge gives me some form of recognition in those areas which is cool. I always wanted to get into SPL too but that requires being good which is something I'm always working on :D
What do you think the most underrated Mega Pokemon is? Why?
imo the most underrated Mega Mon rn is Mega Venu because that thing is just damn right really good at what it does. It has the stats to be a bulky & strong attacker while also having great typing for the job. It can check the same things Amoong can do minus Rage Powder, but it has good offensive presence while also being a bitch to take out (has access to recovery too y/y). I've always been meaning to do this Mega Venu + Tailwind team but don't have the time to do it :[

Another Mega would be Mega Gengar, which is really underused and underrated atm which is weird since it could be a great mon with its trapping ability. Can't really talk about it much tho since I don't have much experience with it but it has potential to be really great tbh
Is there any player(s) that you looked up to when starting in the tier? If so, why them specifically?
I got interested in Doubles through watching the replays from SPL 5, so the guys I got used to seeing and looked up to when I was starting was Arcticblast, you, TFC, Laga, Nollan and the others. I looked up to a lot of guys really, because those guys are good at playing and like I always that "maybe I could be good as those guys" and stuff like that. I always wanted to play in a stage like SPL, but that requires being good so I looked up to you guys and in a way tried to pick up some bits here and there, like how Laga builds his teams, Nollan with his funky spreads, the way you guys play, etc.
Got any creative sets you're looking to try?
I'm not really a guy who uses a lot creative sets, like the most creative thing I ever used in this meta is SD Garchomp rofl. If it counts, I've always liked the idea of the Offensive-y Mega Venu + Tailwind build I mentioned earlier. Another thing I've always tried to build with is SubLO Deo-A with MKanga because lol. A creative set I wanted to try out for "reals" though is a bulky Thunder Wave Celebi which can check rain and Rotom-W while also having recovery, but being weak to things like Skymin, Zard, and Heatran means it can be really iffy. It's something tho!!!

Mem why'd you make a good sample team I lost to it during seasonals even though I knew the sets:(

plz make your sample teams worse would help me a lot k ty
The only I can say is: g_g. That stands for: git gud

Really though, thinking about your turns while playing can help you a lot. I guess you lost that game because of not focusing enough since you already know what to expect. It's advice that's said too much, but it really works.
]also fuck marry kill
Stratos Audiosurfer Articblast
fuck Stratos, marry Audiosurfer, kill Arcticblast :^)

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Doubles Player of the Week #9 - deoxys speed
1. Hi, who are you and where do you come from?
Hi, my name is Ryan and I'm from Southern California. :]

2. What is your favourite in-game Pokémon and which one is your favourite to use competitively?
My favorite in-game pokemon has to be Reuniclus because it looks like a fetus trapped in jell-o. My favorite mon to use competitively is Bisharp because fuck cm Cress, Aegislash, and Lando-T.

3. You're playing the Winter Seasonals grande finale versus Lasagne. How much are you hyped for this match?
I'm really excited to be in the finals of a major tournament, didn't think I would make this far to be honest when I signed up. It's gonna be interesting playing Lasagne again when the circumstances are a little different. Hopefully I do really well without M-Medicham and M-Sceptile teams and get the win. I also really want to take Stratos' 20 dollars and frame it.

4. How are you going to prepare for the match? Perhaps a little bit of innovation that the community hasn't seen yet?
I'm not taking up Arctic's challenge of using Cryogonal to get some eZ drivers unfortunately. Well Lasagne has been using nothing but Bunnies and Stratos teams so I'm definitely keeping that in mind when I'm building. Of the teams that I've made so far there are a little quirky but nothing that will make Stratos call me out in chat about(I hope). The weirdest thing I was thinking of using was Manaphy but that went out the door pretty quickly.

5. Who do you think is going to win the summer seasonals?
A lot of people could make it to the finals KyleCole, Shrop, Stratos, Pinoy, Kamikaze, Tricking. But my favorite is Arcticblast

6. What is your favourite strategy or playstyle to use in Doubles?
My favorite playstyle has to be just plain old goodstuffs or balance. But I also enjoy using just about every playstyle ranging from Trick Room to Hyper Offense. I think using those two playstyles(goodstuffs and balance) give you the best chance at winning and allows for more creativity while building.

7. Who was the most difficult opponent you have faced in the Winter Seasonals?
Definitely Stratos by far. G2 of our set I got completely demolished and and in G3 I had amazing matchup and I still almost lost because he played his ass off. After Stratos, Finally, Quality Content, and Makiri were all pretty tough in their own right and It is Guest choked on dicks and gave me the win in the early rounds of the tournament. So these 5 people gave me the most troubles during the course of the tournament.

8. Could you provide a sample team that's standard to your playstyle, and could you explain how it works?

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Tailwind
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Gyarados @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall
- Protect

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Protect

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Feint
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

This is just mono blue offense + landorus-t. I originally built this team because I wanted to use double dragon which seemed really fun at the time. I have Bisharp and Gyarados to deal with trick room, Latios and Cube to break balance cores like Heatran+Amoongus+Rotom-W, and Lucario and Lando are there so i don't lose to Diancie and Kangaskhan. You just Twave things with Gyara weaken the balance cores with Cube and usually Lucario and Lando end up cleaning.

9. Do you have any aspirations to be a player for the Smogon Premier League?
Ever since Finally got drafted mid-season for it I've been wanting to and that desire, to be a part of SPL is probably one of the biggest reasons I signed up for seasonals. But I think I have to improve a lot more and get more accomplishments on my resume before i can seriously consider myself to be a worth wile pickup. Maybe sometime in the future I'll sign up and see what happens.

10. Is there any player you look up to?
Finally, Arctic, and Stratos are probably the players I look up to the most, especially Finally :3

11. Anything you'd like to say before this interview is done?
Qsns has poor taste in poetry.

Thanks deoxys speed for this interview!
STAY TUNED FOR HARDCORE INTERVIEWS WITH NEXT WEEK BEING OUR TENTH WEEK WOOHOO

Last edited:

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
why do you hate all the games i introduce to you
are you as finicky with games as you are in bed
why does qsns have such poor taste in poetry
when will our relationship be FBO (facebook official)
wanna get married

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Good interview, good player <3
Favourite Mega Pokemon?
Do you think Deoxys Speed (the mon) is actually viable?
Is there anything you think should be changed/suspected in the metagame?

why do you hate all the games i introduce to you
are you as finicky with games as you are in bed
why does qsns have such poor taste in poetry
when will our relationship be FBO (facebook official)
wanna get married
1. Im bad at all of them, and u dont teach me. They also make my laptop lag like crazy :[
2. You'll have to find out ;)
3. Bc he likes your poems more than mine ;_;
4. You already put it on facebook lmao
5. http://i.imgur.com/MwL7LC8.png Literally same Ernie

Good interview, good player <3
Favourite Mega Pokemon?
Do you think Deoxys Speed (the mon) is actually viable?
Is there anything you think should be changed/suspected in the metagame?
1. I'm a fan of the original megas, Meganium and Yanmega. But from 6th gen either M-Ttar or M-Mawile are my favorites.
2. I think its usable, it can do really well against hyper offense and less bulky teams. it can beat things like Skymin, Keldeo, Lando-T but can't do anything against common things like M-Metagross and Aegislash. It definitely shouldn't be mentioned in the viability thread but I think it has its uses.
3. I want a Skymin suspect, i hate that mon with a passion.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Could you please explain your thought process behind bringing Mega Medicham and Mega Sceptile? I honestly mean this as a serious question and not to be rude or "I told you so" etc. What matchups were you expecting? What niche do you think they really have?

Could you please explain your thought process behind bringing Mega Medicham and Mega Sceptile? I honestly mean this as a serious question and not to be rude or "I told you so" etc. What matchups were you expecting? What niche do you think they really have?
Despite knowing I was going to be playing Lasagne for like a week and a half I started building really late and even then I didn't spend a lot of time on it and built 2 bad teams as a result. I thought he was going to bring Bunnies, Sun, or a sample team(Bunnies and Sun were a greater possibility imo). I was pretty cocky and felt I could bring anything I wanted and still win, which is extremely idiotic on my part especially with the lack of time I put in. M-Sceptile can beat Azu and ignores the rage powder from Amoongus, paired with Keldeo to stop Kanga its a decent Bunnies counter. M-Medicham has no niche in the metagame lol, I have no clue why I brought it. Probably goes back to me being cocky as shit at the time. Sceptile is an interesting mon and I think it has some uses and I will definitely do it some justice and build a good team around it in the future.

Last edited:

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

"life is a 50/50"
Doubles Noodle of the Week #10 - Hashtag
1. Hi! Who are you and where do you come from?
Hi im Dan aka hashtag aka cowlaser aka bear aka idk, and i come from the backwoods of Pennsylvania obviously bc i am a bear. I'm also going to school at the Rochester Institute of Technology where I am learning how to animate so maybe someday i can make cartoons

2. What is your favourite Pokémon to use in-game and what is your favourite Pokémon to use competitively. Why?
My favorite Mon in-game is Clefable/Clefairy (because who really differentiates between the two anyways?) because they are a couple of cuties and they have great coverage. Also they are from the moon and how cool is that? if pokemon magically started being real i would totally invest in a clefairy. My favorite pokemon to use competitively has changed quite a bit over the years but at the moment i would have to say aegislash holds the title at the moment. it's the perfect switchin to kangaskhan, its coverage is beautiful, and it has great matchups versus a lot of the top tiered pokemon. Some people know that i use a lot of the safety goggles wide guard set, but i think all of its popular sets are good, weakness policy has a ridiculously high damage output if you manage to activate it. I also find myself trying to include a balance of fast/medium/slow mons and a mmix of frail/bulky mons in my teams, so aegislash is a great pick for the latter of both categories.

3. When did you get into competitive Pokémon, why did you and how did you?
well I've known that competitive pokemon was a thing for a long time, and i played OU for about a month back in the BW days. even before that i thought i was legit implementing smogon suggested sets and spreads into my in-game mons. However, what caused me to get into Doubles, and what made me really get into competitive battling was actually the VGC worlds stream that i watched in 2013. (i think?) This was the first exposure that i had to actual competitive doubles, and it blew my mind. I still remember that one of the players megahorned his own poke because he was trying to get the right two mons out at the same time. after that I went on the sim and built a terrible surf-spam team with gastrodon, and i hit the ladder. For probably a year i played on the ladder, experimenting with different styles of teams, although rain always remained my favorite. One day by chance i got a battle with either finally or KyleCole (i dont remember which, but they were both there) and they told me i should join the doubles room. i hadn't previously known that such a thing existed but after that day i played better and better people, and discuss doubles with lots of different people. Subsequently, i improved vastly, and i am still improving today.

4. Where did you get your username from?
hahaha dude my username is a total joke. i've always gone by CowLaser™, and i just had Hashtag Smogon as a testing account which was designed to piss off wannabe hipster kids that hate hashtags and the fact that smogon bans things, but i gradually switched over completely to using hashtag all the time

5. Is there anything in the current metagame that you think is broken or suspect worthy? And why?
Oh my god i have a whole laundy list of things that i want banned including: whimsicott, smeargle, swagger, confuse ray, skill swap, flash, beat up, hypnosis, belly drum, etc. But in all seriousness, i think the current doubles metagame is fucking amazing and balanced. (s/o to my bois that voted for the salamence ban) It is definitely centralized around a certain group of threats, but they share the power well, and there is still room for people to run underused mons like Aerodactyl while still checking the whole metagame with one team, and what singles tier can say that?

6. What is your favourite playstyle/strategy to use in Doubles, why?
Well like i said earlier, i really like rain teams, but they aint doin so hot right now, so I've been using a lot of goodstuffs teams. I hear a lot of people talking about "hyper offense, offense, balance, etc whatever" but i'll be honest with you i never consider that for a second when i'm building and half of the time I don't even know where to categorize a certain team lol

7. What is your least favourite playstyle/strategy in Doubles, why?
a younger me would say that he hates trick room, but that guy is just a dumbass who doesnt know how to play it. For me, i like to have LOTS of different teams that i can fall back on, so really the only thing i dislike is Azu spam, but even i try to use that sometimes because it is strong as hell

8. What is your favourite metagame to play outside of Doubles OU, and why?
well I don't really play any other tiers much, but SocialSocialSocial has had me playin little cup lately and it's pretty fun for when im sick of dubs and i just feel like looking at cute pokemon. also i beat him 100% of the time so thats fun. yup, anything he tells you to the contrary is a lie.

9. How do you preparing for tournaments like seasonals?
Seasonals is like my favorite thing in pokemon because non-teamlocked best of threes are amazing, and you have to improve your ability over the course of the tour or you simply will not make it. underestimating your opponent is the worst mistake you can make so every week, i watch all of my opponent's replays that are available and i build new teams, so that i can try to have a good matchup against my opponent's style of team, and i also prevent myself from being counterteamed. sometimes it is tough to not use certain mons on every team, but the effort of doing so makes me a better player so i like it.

10. Who do you think is going to win the summer seasonals, and why?
I've got to be rooting for my boy Kamikaze because if i cant win, I better have lost to someone who is DAMN good, and also he is a cool guy who i want to succeed. Real talk there are a lot of strong players in the tour and it is anyone's game. I wouldn't be surprised if previously unknown players came out on top again like deo and lasagne did in winters.

11. Do you think deoxys speed or Lasagne is going to win the winter seasonals, and why?
DEOMOUTO. altho las should be bringin real teams so we'll just see

12. Is there anything you'd change about the current Doubles metagame, and why?
moar players! i wanna be the most popular meta next to OU so we can make duu and dubers be a thing

13. Do you have any advice for newer players for playing, and for Smogon in general?
Get involved, discussing the tier with other players, and fighting people who are better than you are both catalysts for success. Also be open minded to other people's opinions, there is some knowledge or wisdom that you should be able to gain from everyone no matter who they are, so rejecting that knowledge is just preventing you from getting better.

14. Could you provide a team that fits your playstyle, and could you give a brief explanation of it?
Kickflip (Politoed) (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Buzzkill (Talonflame) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Steel Wing

Cakewalk (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Speedlines (Kingdra) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Muddy Water
- Rain Dance
- Protect

Backslash (Aegislash) (M) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Limelight (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

so this is a rain team that i really like to do, and it gets around rain's notorious bad matchups pretty well. For sun you have rain dance kingdra, diancie, and banded talonflame, which kills any non-sashed venusaurs, and does a hell of a lot of damage to charizard. For kangaskhan, i made sure i had only one pokemon with a poor matchup against it, which is politoed obviously, and for trick room, i have a bunch of slow mons to stall out turns, and a priority attacker to not give a shit. otherwise the team is just packed full of threatening mons that my opponent will have to worry about, and i have a lot of mons that i could choose as my win condition.

thanks hashtag for these ultreme/extreme memes, STAY TUNED FOR MORE HARDCORE EPIC NEOPETS INTERVIEWS WITH WEIRD PEOPLE THAT ARE RELEVANT (KINDA)?!

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
so really the only thing i dislike is Azu spam
Hashtag = CTC confirmed lol

Now onto the questions:

1. Do you have aspirations to play in SPL?
2. Top five megas?
3. Origin of your old name, CowLaser™?
4. Opinion on a fully manual rain team?
5. Opinon on the new Doubles blog METAGAME SECRETS? - Also, do you think you may ever right an article/post for it?

8. What is your favourite metagame to play outside of Doubles OU, and why?
well I don't really play any other tiers much, but SocialSocialSocial has had me playin little cup lately and it's pretty fun for when im sick of dubs and i just feel like looking at cute pokemon. also i beat him 100% of the time so thats fun. yup, anything he tells you to the contrary is a lie.

smh social spreads lc to dubs and barely even knows how to play lc.

What is your opinion on the Other Tier Series?

Last edited:
1. Do you have aspirations to play in SPL?
2. Top five megas?
3. Origin of your old name, CowLaser™?
4. Opinion on a fully manual rain team?
5. Opinon on the new Doubles blog METAGAME SECRETS? - Also, do you think you may ever right an article/post for it?
1. Yeah i would love to play in SPL some day but i guess my main aspiration right now would be to win a big doubles specific tour
2. kang/charY/diancie/metagross/gengar. my favorite ones to use would look more like diancie/metagross/charY/gengar/venusaur (lol no kanga)
3. I have no idea really...
4. Everyone always talks about how bad politoed is and how manual rain would be better but to be honest i don't even think politoed is that bad. Sure it despises kangaskhan, but so do a lot of things. I think that as far as bulky waters go, politoed has all the tools necessary to merit a spot on your rain team. In addition to the obvious drizzle, it has great support in icy wind, encore, helping hand, and perish song. Also thanks to rain, it is the only bulky water that can ohko diancie without relying on hydro pump not missing and that is great because hydro pump is ass.
5. Your boy statos knows what hes talking about. So do the other guys probably but we haven't seen any articles from them yet. Also im not a very good writer lol but if you ever need some post thats 70% ridiculous bullshit you know where to find me stratos ;)))
What is your opinion on the Lower Tier Series?
brb researching
okay so i found other tier series and i think thats what you are talking about http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/other-tier-series.3543008/#post-6310161
looks fun, i hope we get a good turnout for the doubles tours, i will definitely participate. gonna have to steal some ubers teams.
He does not beat me >:I
Also ty for shoutout/diss hashtag
Wrong and <3

Fangame10

DOU Master of Snow-based Trick Room teams
is a Tiering Contributor
1: how good does bear taste when grilled?
2: favorite move to use?
3: Favorite non pokeman game?
4: Maybe roasted bear?

Is it bear hunting season hashtag??

also what do you think about underused megas, do you think they just straight out suck or are they unexplored or outclassed??

In your RMT Calling all Heroes, are they truly heroes that need to be recognized, or is Cresselia the only true hero?
What's the most overrated Pokemon in your opinion?
What's the most underrated Pokemon in your opinion?

1: how good does bear taste when grilled?
2: favorite move to use?
3: Favorite non pokeman game?
4: Maybe roasted bear?
1. fight me
2. aegislash right now, it changes a lot though. it was in the interview lol
3. zelda probably. I guess i'm just a big nintendo fanboy, but i'm all about going on adventures, and the indiscriminate killing of animals and intelligent creatures for small change, and puzzles and stuff like that, so it's a good match for me.
4. memes
Is it bear hunting season hashtag??

also what do you think about underused megas, do you think they just straight out suck or are they unexplored or outclassed??
1. i hope not
2. That's a really good question. I tend to stay away from underused megas because they often lack the versatility of the common ones, but i guess that is kind of lazy of me. One mega that i think has a lot of potential is Slowbro, but that has been pretty much entirely unexplored. s/o to trains tho for his mono-redirection team
Does champetero's current avatar (a crudely drawn ghost with a Lenny face) trigger you?

Opinions on DD Mega TTar?
1. it does trigger me but in a good way.
2. I think it is definitely the best set, and honestly any other item you could put on a ttar is not really going to do you much good. The problem lies in the fact that it is hard to build a sand team without being tempted to add a mega that synergizes well with ttar. This being said, DD megatar is currently on my list of mons that i need to build around, and i think it looks like a lot of fun, it has been a while since i went anywhere near sand.
In your RMT Calling all Heroes, are they truly heroes that need to be recognized, or is Cresselia the only true hero?
What's the most overrated Pokemon in your opinion?
What's the most underrated Pokemon in your opinion?
1. they are all heroes except maybe thundurus is the bad guy? idk it doesn't matter maybe he's the kind of character that is bad most of the time but teams up with the heroes when shit gets REALLY serious, which is obviously what is happening if you need a team named "Calling All Heroes." Cresselia is definitely the best hero and the most important because she is such a cutie, that cape is too small for her >w<
2. Meowstic.
3. Well i talked about slowbro earlier, but another mon I've been trying out lately is aerodactyl, and it provides decent support via wide guard tailwind and sky drop, while hitting a great speed tier. Sky drop mechanics are really weird and take a long time to get used to but i like it a lot. I guess to prevent from rambling i should say that there are a lot of mons which you never considered using that can have a niche, so there is no one "most underrated mon" in my opinion.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)