Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

What do you guys think is the better choice for Wallbreaker Mega Medicham: Adamant or Jolly?
To add on to what TheTabKey said, Adamant also allows for a guaranteed 2HKO ahainst Unaware Clefable which Jolly only does 50% of the time. It also does much more damage to switch-ins (which are mostly defensive in nature due to Mega Medicham's attack, thus not requiring the extra speed from Jolly).

For whatever it's worth, Adamant Thunder Punch also guarantees a 2HKO against Slowbro. Adamant also allows High Jump Kick + Ice Punch to 2HKO standard Celebi (if Jolly, you need 2 Ice Punch in a row, so you can't mindlessly spam High Jump Kick).

Best stallbreakers against a mega-sable stall core
I like to use Mega Gyarados as it has Mold Breaker and can get through stuff with Unaware and potentially Taunt the others while setting up DD's. I personally use Substitute over Taunt, but either are good. I use Jolly so it's able to sweep with just one DD, but Admant would be better against a stall team.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 Def / 248 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute/Taunt
- Dragon Dance

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Best stallbreakers against a mega-sable stall core
Mega Gardevoir, SD Gliscor, Mega Charizard-Y, NP Togekiss, Bulk Up+Taunt Talonflame, Guts Heracross, and SD Taunt Haxorus are all wallbreakers/stallbreakers which can easily beat Mega Sableye.

Is there a source for this? All I've been able to find is conflicting information. Bulbapedia, for example, says the opposite, but that place is notoriously unreliable.
This source indicates that Serene Grace does not affect held items, however, as you have noted, Bulbapedia has a conflicting report.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What are the best methods of dealing with Scarfed Jirachi?
Getting off recoil damage from the likes of tank chomp and Ferrothorn is generally the best method, and while it can use Ice Punch or Fire Punch to deal heavy damage to those Pokemon, you can use that opportunity of them being choice locked into a weak coverage move to set up with a sweeper like mega gyarados or mega charizard x.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What are the best methods of dealing with Scarfed Jirachi?
Crying at the inevitable death of even Mega Slowbro at the hands of that evil flincher.

Seriously though, switch-ins should be very bulky and/or Steel-resists that either block Trick or wouldn't mind a Choice Scarf. Dark-type priority also doesn't hurt. Wearing it down (it likes to U-turn too) is also helpful.

Mons that can outspeed and KO (and don't hate trick): Bisharp (sucker punch), Excadrill (sand), Keldeo (Scarf; watch out for Zen though), Mega Sharpedo (after protect), Honchrow (sucker punch)

Mons that handle it and can wear it down (but don't necessarily enjoy trick): BulkyChomp & Ferrothorn

Other bulky mons that should always win, but can get flinched, and some hate trick/coverage moves: Mega Charizard X, Mega Metagross, (Mega) Gyarados, Landorus-T, Manaphy, Mega Scizor, Thundurus (can paralyze and/or knock off scarf, + resists Iron Head), Mega Charizard Y, Gliscor, Hippowdon, Mega Manectric, Skarmory, (Mega) Slowbro, Starmie, Raikou, Jirachi, Klefki, Magnezone, Mega Swampert, Zapdos, etc.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Any reliable ways/switch-ins to beat a Tornadus-T? I always have a hard time against them.
Electric types are your best bet, such as Rotom-W, Mega Manectric, Mega Ampharos, Raikou, and Zapdos. Other revenge killers such as Scarf Landorus-T, Weavile, Scarf Terrakion, and Mega Aerodactyl work well. Unlike the others listed, Mega Aerodactyl switches in pretty well to most of Tornadus's moves.

Gimmick

Electric potential
I was looking at some old threads and posts from the early XY meta, and I noticed a thread saying that M-Kangaskhan's Parental Bond essentially gives it 213 base Attack. How does the math work on that? I thought Parental Bond was sort of like a Choice Band, so it'd be 125 (M-Kanga's base attack) * 1.5 which is 187.5.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I was looking at some old threads and posts from the early XY meta, and I noticed a thread saying that M-Kangaskhan's Parental Bond essentially gives it 213 base Attack. How does the math work on that? I thought Parental Bond was sort of like a Choice Band, so it'd be 125 (M-Kanga's base attack) * 1.5 which is 187.5.
It doesn't multiply the base stat, it multiplies the actual stat. It does indeed work like Choice Band.

Gimmick

Electric potential
It doesn't multiply the base stat, it multiplies the actual stat. It does indeed work like Choice Band.
Oh dur, thanks. So its attack number stat thing is multiplied by 1.5 and then converted into a base stat? I've always wondered how that worked. Is there a conversion formula or something?

Also, since it's proportional, wouldn't being Adamant or Jolly technically change its recalculated "base stat"?

Last edited:

Karxrida

Oh dur, thanks. So its attack number stat thing is multiplied by 1.5 and then converted into a base stat? I've always wondered how that worked. Is there a conversion formula or something?

Also, since it's proportional, wouldn't being Adamant or Jolly technically change it's recalculated "base stat"?
I don't know if there is a reconversion formula, I think people just punched numbers into the calc to see what the equivalent stat was. 213 actually comes out to 525 while Mega Mom's Attack after Parental Bond is 523.5. If uninvested in Attack EVs it actually isn't equivalent to 213, as it hits 429 while a Base 213 Mon hits 462.

I suggest fiddling around with the calculator.

Gimmick Karxrida

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 208-247 (54.5 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Mega Kangaskhan Return (213 Attack) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 208-246 (54.5 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Here are the calcs. I think it was assumed Mega Khan ran Jolly because it's better to speed tie the base 100s that run max speed instead of getting beaten by them. And you already have a ton of power to work with already.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Would Mixed Jirachi with Scarf work?
Not sure about this. Mixed Jirachi is great because you lure in pokemon like Hippowdon, Garchomp, Heatran and Skarmory, but with a scarf it is very prediction reliant and also lacks the 1.2x boost from Expert Belt. I wouldn't say it is unviable, but it is very team specific.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Well I worded it wrong a bit. Actually a AoA Scarf set that includes Energy Ball or Icy Wind and enough investment to 2HKO Keldeo, Azumarill, etc and 4x Ice weakness pokes. Kinda like a speedy lure for HO teams.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 184 Atk / 136 SpA / 188 Spe
Naive Nature
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- U-Turn
- Icy Wind / Energy Ball

OHKO's Weavile, 2HKO Ttar's after rocks and 2/OHKO Faires. Fire Punch>HP Fire to 2HKO MSciz/ Ferro. EBall or Wind team dependent. I prefer EBall. Speed Outruns those who Creep Scarf Lando-T
You can also try Thunderbolt. Just like Energy Ball it beats water types, but Thunderbolt does also hit Talonflame, Char-Y, Skarmory and Gyarados. You can't hit Rotom-W supereffective, as well as Hippowdon and Quagsire, but they are easier to lure in general than Talonflame and Skarmory are.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Is there a conversion formula or something?
I don't know if there is a reconversion formula
Assuming you guys are interested in hearing this:
assuming max IVs and EVs and level 100, the reconversion formula is (doesn't account perfectly for the mathematically incorrect way the game rounds down but it's close enough):
Code:
 effective base stat = real base stat x multiplier + 49,5 x (multiplier - 1)
Things like other levels or not running max IVs / EVs can be accounted for by adjusting the 49,5 value (it's 18 for max IVs but 0 EVs at lvl 100 fwiw, don't see any other situations that are really relevant at first glance)

Examples: Adamant Dragonite after a DD has an effective base Speed of 80*1,5 + 49,5*0,5 = 145, and Jolly Aerodactyl has an effective base Speed of 130*1,1 + 49,5*0,1 = 148, meaning Aero is faster.
Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan has an effective base Attack stat of 125*1,5 + 49,5*0,5 = 212

The formula is pretty easy to deduce using the standard stat calculation formula and a bit of generic middle school math, but I'm afraid actually adding the deduction will make me look like a nerd :U

Karxrida

The formula is pretty easy to deduce using the standard stat calculation formula and a bit of generic middle school math, but I'm afraid actually adding the deduction will make me look like a nerd :U
You're part of the Grammar Prose Team on a website dedicate to competitive Pokemon, that ship has sailed.

This is really cool though, thanks for figuring it out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)