ORAS OU Mega-Metagross Offense

Basic Offense

Introduction

Hi guys,

Trying to get into competitive Pokemon. Haven't played since Yellow, so there's been a lot to learn! I've done some research and been playing on Showdown for several days, but I'd like to make sure there isn't some glaring flaw with what I've come up with so far, or how I'm using them.

Teambuilding Process

I looked into the viability list and saw that Mega-Metagross and Clefable were both rated S and seemed to synergize well, so I started there, adding Keldeo to complement Metagross and take care of Water-types, and then rounded out the team with A-tier mons that seemed to fit roles I would need.

The Team

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Zen Headbutt

Just a standard Mega-Metagross set-up. It is my main Fairy-resist and physical sweeper, whom I use to punch through opposing walls and clean up late-game. Bullet Punch also lets it come in and revenge kill weakened opponents.

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

My Special wall and Dragon resist. I try to save Clefable for mid to late-game and set up on special attackers or mons without much offensive power. After a couple of Calm Mind-Soft Boiled combos, Moonblast goes through pretty much everything except pesky Steel-types, who I can dispatch with Flamethrower.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Substitute

Keldeo comes in on Ice and Water-type mons and sets up with Calm Mind. Scald and Secret Sword are the main STAB moves, with the former inflicting Burn damage on switch ins. To be honest Substitute seems extremely underwhelming, I haven't run into a single situation where I've been able to use it to good effect, as it usually just gets knocked down as soon as I put it up. I assume I'm not using it properly?

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpA / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Garchomp is my main physical tank, with good bulk and chip damage due to Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet. Earthquake and Dragon Tail provide me two good STAB moves, with the latter also coupling well with Stealth Rock to force switches. Fire Blast lets me use Garchomp to lure in bulky Grass-types like Mega Venasaur. I try to lead with Garchomp to get up Stealth Rock ASAP, then either switch out to a more favorable matchup or use Dragon Tail depending on the speed comparison.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latios supports the team with Defog to get rid of enemy entry hazards, and hits lured Steel-types with Hidden Power Fire. Draco Meteor hits like a Mack truck on anything that isn't resistant to it, whereas Psyshock hits Special walls and increases coverage.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Finally, Tyranitar rounds out the team by covering Psychic-types that might come out to counter Keldeo. Stone Edge hits most Flying-types incredibly hard, whereas Superpower hits Keldeo and Steel-types in lieu of Earthquake. Choice Scarf makes it very good at securing revenge kills and outspeeding opposing threats.

Conclusion

Thanks for any help you guys can provide! By the way, Smogon strategy-dex was super helpful when putting things together or just as a crutch to look up how to counter a specific mon in-game while I'm still learning.

One quick nitpick: EQ > Superpower with a Scarf because you will be trapped into a Atk and Def lowering move. Otherwise it's a solid team and welcome to Smogon

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
One quick nitpick: EQ > Superpower with a Scarf because you will be trapped into a Atk and Def lowering move. Otherwise it's a solid team and welcome to Smogon
Actually Superpower is preferred on Scarf TTar because it can hit other TTar and other mons.

Onto the rate:
I notice that Mega Gross has hammer arm. TTar is already carrying Superpower, so I'd just run Ice Punch to hit Landorus-T and Garchomp.
On your special attackers (Keldeo & Clefable), put 0 Physical Attack IVs. This will keep Foul Play damage to a minimum, and it really comes in handy.

But that's all I actually have, solid team. Welcome to Smogon dude!

Hi n_n,Nice Rmt and yea scarfed ttar runs superpower its better than eq for sure :).
First of all your team is kinda weak to mega gyarados + goth core ,because goth can trap keldeo and kill it ,I will suggest choice specs keldeo > sub cm keldeo in your team because u already have a cm sweeper and u need a hard hitter + goth can't switch out against specs keldeo.
BlackBloodz (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Also Specs keldeo + scarf ttar + latios is awesome :3.
Or try cleric clefable because you rely on garchomp to counter a lot of physical mons and it needs recovery and u rely on latios to counter zard Y and it also needs recovery actually I think cleric clefable is better than specs keldeo,sub cm keldeo looks fine if u gonna try cleric clefable with wish,heal bell,protect and moon blast :).

Also u can try endure over fire blast on Garchomp (don't leave read the reason) because endure chomp doubles rough skin + rock helmet damage when your HP is low for ex if talonflame used braved bird (its HP is 22%) on your 1% HP Garchomp and u used endure talonflame gonna die and u won :),if u don't wanna try endure I am not forcing :3,other than that its an awesome team n_n.

P.S. good luck,have fun and play carefully against quagsire :) ,Enjoy!!! :D.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for all the advice and welcomes!

Going to stick with Superpower on Tyranitar for the reasons Exodus mentioned. I like the idea of Ice Punch but I don't want to sacrifice coverage on Steel and Dark types that switch in on Metagross- I'll try swapping it for Bullet Punch. The priority is nice but I don't necessarily need it for the way I employ Metagross. Also, what do you guys think of Landorus-T instead of Garchomp? Specifically,

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn

Idea is to perform the same job as Garchomp, but it gives me the ability to switch into Earthquakes with immunity, and use U-turn to safely switch in Metagross.

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Wow, thanks for all the advice and welcomes!

Going to stick with Superpower on Tyranitar for the reasons Exodus mentioned. I like the idea of Ice Punch but I don't want to sacrifice coverage on Steel and Dark types that switch in on Metagross- I'll try swapping it for Bullet Punch. The priority is nice but I don't necessarily need it for the way I employ Metagross. Also, what do you guys think of Landorus-T instead of Garchomp? Specifically,

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn

Idea is to perform the same job as Garchomp, but it gives me the ability to switch into Earthquakes with immunity, and use U-turn to safely switch in Metagross.
If you want to run Lando, change the item to Leftovers. :)

Using Lando-t isn't a good idea,and yea leftovers > rocky helmet on lando-t the advantages of using lando-t over chomp is ground immunity+ intimidate.
But u will lost a phaser + u can't switch out against bisharp also lando-t can't counter bird spam ,lando-t can't do much to pup mega loppuny I will suggest to keep tank chomp rather than going for lando-t,also go for endure chomp so u don't need that SpA and u cab invest more in defense :).

Also use cleric Clefable it helps u against physical attackers and zard Y ,indirectly.It heals the status of mons and your team is weak to zard Y ,latios needs recovery so if u will recover latios u can deal with zard Y more consistently and Wish passing Garchomp helps u to deal with physical attackers.

P.S. I don't know why u r switching to lando-t,I always try to use Tankchomp in offense team as lead :3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)