ORAS UU Duglax Offense (Peaked at 90 GXE)

Vapo

water me
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

INTRODUCTION:
Hey, I'm Vapo, and I play competitive pokemon on an online simulator in my free time. I've been a big fan of UU since XY and enjoy messing around with lesser used pokemon/cores. In my honest opinion, Snorlax is one of the best pokemon in the tier, easily sweeping teams after their check to it is eliminated. The issue often times, however, is removing said check. The idea of the team is to support Snorlax by wearing down and trapping its checks until Snorlax can come in and sweep.

AT A GLANCE:

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS:

I started off the team with Dugtrio and Snorlax. Dugtrio is able to trap and beat numerous annoyances to Snorlax, so it felt fitting to start the team off with it.

It became apparent that Scarf Mienshao beat my current core, so I added intimidate roost Salamence as a check. It also provides a ton of offensive pressure and can lure in and OHKO Doublade with LO Fire Blast.

Every team needs a Suicune check, and I opted for Heliolisk because of its blazing fast base speed and Normal dual typing, which allows it to check Doublade and punish it with free Volt Switches.

I needed a Stealth Rock user, as well as a pokemon that beat opposing Snorlax. Cobalion fit the bill perfectly, providing the team with a reliable offensive Stealth Rocker that doubles as a wincon.

Hazard control was important, as my main fighting switch in is weak to rocks. I also was lacking a mega, so I opted for Mega Blastoise, which clears hazards and punishes offensive teams.

IN DEPTH:

HAITIAN (Dugtrio) @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Sucker Punch

Dugtrio is easily one of the most important pokemon on the team, trapping and KO'ing many threats to Snorlax. While some opt to use Focus Sash to compensate for Dugtrio's awful bulk, I decided Choice Band would be a better option. With it equipped, Dugtrio can OHKO SpD Roar Empoleon, Heracross, Mienshao, Entei, Pidgeot before it mega evolves, and many others, as well as doing significant chunks to Cobalion, Chesnaught, and Machamp. Earthquake is STAB and is usually Dugtrio's move of choice. Stone Edge hits Pidgeot, Crobat, and Mandibuzz for decent damage. Aerial Ace allows Dugtrio to trap and OHKO Heracross, as well as pick off weakened Chesnaughts. The fourth slot isn't as important, but I opted for Sucker Punch, which allows Dugtrio to seriously weaken Scarf Chandelure that may wish to stay in and attack. The EV spread and Jolly nature are pretty self explanatory; they allow Dugtrio to outspeed most of the unboosted meta while dishing out as much damage as possible to secure KO's.

AH UM (Snorlax) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The star of the show; Snorlax is a force to be reckoned with in the UU metagame. Despite the numerous offensive fighting types in the tier, Snorlax still manages to be one of the most threatening set up sweepers in the tier. Snorlax not only provides a win condition for the team but a blanket check for nearly every special attacker in the tier, only fearing Aura Sphere Mega Blastoise, Special Lucario, and a few others. After a curse or two, not much is breaking Snorlax. Curse allows Snorlax to boost its attack and defense in a single turn, and in combination with Snorlax's excellent natural SpD, makes for a tough pokemon to crack. Rest and Sleep Talk provide semi reliable recovery and prevents Snorlax from being crippled by status. Body Slam is chosen oven Return for its nifty paralyzation chance, so common Snorlax checks including Mienshao and Heracross must think twice before switching directly in. Leftovers provide passive recovery and increase Snorlax's staying power. Thick Fat is chosen to allow Snorlax to effectively check fire spam from the likes of Entei and Darmanitan. The EV spread is the standard Curselax spread that optimizes Snorlax's bulk.

MOANIN (Salamence) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Iron Tail
- Roost

The thing I like the most about Salamence is its unpredictability. It can run Dragon Dance, Scarf, Mixed, and Defensive sets very well, so your opponent often has to take a hit or two before knowing what can actually check the set. Intimidate + Flying typing allows Salamence to switch into most fighting types with relative ease and force them out or force them to take a huge hit. Draco Meteor is STAB and Salamence's nuke, doing huge damage to anything that does not resist it. Fire Blast allows Salamence to seriously injure Steel types including Doublade and Mega Aggron. Iron Tail is an interesting choice, but allows Salamence to 2HKO Florges and Aromatisse which often switch into it. Roost provides longevity to Salamence and allows it to continuously check fighting spam. Max SpA and Max Spe with a Life Orb maximize Salamence's damage output. A Naive nature is preferred so Iron Tail can 2HKO physically defensive fairies without compromising Salamence's ability to switch into physical fighting types.

BIRD CALLS (Heliolisk) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lets face it; Suicune is a threat, and if you don't prepare for it, you're going to be 6-0'd. While Curselax can beat traditional CroCune, sets carrying Roar would beat my team without Heliolisk. Heliolisk's ability Dry Skin allows it to not only switch in freely versus Suicune and other bulky waters but recover HP if switching into a Scald or other water type move. The moveset is rather self explanatory, with Thunderbolt and Hyper Voice providing spammable STAB moves, Volt Switch allowing Heliolisk to maintain momentum, and HP Ice hitting Gligar and Salamence. Max SpA and Spe with a Timid Nature allow Heliosk to take full advantage of its fantastic 109 speed tier and dish out as much damage as possible. Choice Scarf is the preferred item, as it allows Heliolisk to check things including Scarf Mienshao, Scarf and Dragon Dance Salamence, Mega Aerodactyl, Crobat, Mega Pidgeot, and others which are all threatening towards offensive teams.

THE CLOWN (Cobalion) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Cobalion is one of my favorite pokemon to use in UU. It is one of the best Offensive Rockers in the tier and has an interesting typing and speed tier that allows it to check many threats to Offense including SD Lucario Hydreigon, Snorlax, and Mega Absol. Stealth Rock is a must for all teams, and Cobalion is a very reliable setter. Close Combat is Cobalion's hardest hitting move, OHKO'ing Snorlax, Lucario, Hydreigon, and many others. Iron Head is secondary STAB that allows Cobalion to hit fairies for super effective damage and also score flinches occasionally. In the last slot, I opted for Swords Dance, which allows Cobalion to blow through walls and sweep late game after the opposing team has been weakened. EVs and Jolly Nature are pretty self explanatory, allowing Cobalion to hit hard and fast. Cobalion is great natural bulk, so it does not really need HP investment to check threats. Chople Berry is an interesting choice but something I feel is beneficial, as the team is rather susceptible to fighting spam. Scarf High Jump Kick Mienshao in particular threatens the team greatly, but Chople Cobalion lures Mienshao into staying in, and after Stealth Rock damage Cobalion has a good chance to OHKO with Close Combat.

BLUE CEE (Blastoise-Mega) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin

With my main fighting spam check being weak to Stealth Rock, I knew I needed a reliable spinner. I also had no water type or mega evolution, so Mega Blastoise fit into the team extremely well. Mega Blastoise is an amazing offensive spinner, having the bulk to reliably spin and the power to put dents into the opposing team. Scald is STAB and Mega Blastoise's most spammable move, doing decent damage to anything that does not resist it. I chose Hydro Pump over Scald to compensate for the power loss due to running Timid over Modest. Even with a neutral SpA nature, Hydro Pump hits extremely hard and is Mega Blastoise's nuke. Aura Sphere OHKO's Hydreigon and Abomasnow after Stealth Rock, 2HKO's SpD Empoleon and Mega Aggron, and 3HKO's Curselax, preventing it from setting up freely versus you. Dark Pulse hits Doublade and bulky psychic types including Cresselia and Reuniclus for super effective damage. Rapid Spin clears hazards on your side of the field. I like fast Mega Blastoise, and the EV spread in combination with a Timid Nature I have outspeeds everything up to and including max speed Adamant Mamoswine. SpA is maxed out to allow Blastoise to dish out as much damage as possible and score crucial KO's, with the remaining EVs dumped into HP.​

THREATLIST:

- Reuniclus
While Reuniclus sets that do not run Focus Blast can be dealt with by Snorlax, CM Focus Blast sets are extremely threatening for the team, as it beats Snorlax 1v1 so long as Focus Blast hits. Mega Blastoise can 2HKO it with Dark Pulse even after a CM boost, but it is still an extremely huge threat that beats the majority of the team.

- Machamp
The team is weak to fighting spam in general, but Salamence and Dugtrio are usually able to check / trap threats. Machamp, however, does not allow Salamence to switch in freely. Even though Salamence has intimidate and resists fighting type moves, Machamp's DynamicPunch confuses the target, meaning Salamence effectively only has a 50% chance to get a hit off on it. However, if I am able to break through confusion, Machamp can be weakened enough to be revenged by Dugtrio. If not, I usually have to sack something else to bring it down to Banded EQ range.

- Slurpuff
Slurpuff is a huge threat that is underprepared for often times. This thing flat out 6-0's me after a Belly Drum, so I have to be extremely careful and apply offensive pressure constantly to prevent it from setting up. However, it cannot really set up versus many things on my team. The only way it could set up reliably is if it gets a free switch versus my unboosted Snorlax or Heliolisk. Everything else provides enough pressure to prevent Slurpuff from Belly Drumming.

CONCLUSION:

Thank you all for reading! I know it was long but I wanted to explain everything in as much detail as possible. Hopefully you guys like the team and try it out for yourselves on the ladder. Feel free to drop a rate, as I know the team is not flawless and has some holes it could patch up (especially versus Reuniclus). Hyper Offense is not extremely reliable, especially in UU, but it sure as hell is fun, so I hope you all give it a shot!

(Haven't laddered on the alt in a while so it decayed quite a bit. ELO peak was somewhere in the 1700s but I never took a screenshot)

Tournaments and UU Rooms, you guys are all cool :^]
Meme Squad Shiba metaphysical scald petyer Meteordash
Club Penguin Gang <:3c
(Basically I'm too lazy to tag everyone but you know who you are)

HAITIAN (Dugtrio) @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Sucker Punch

AH UM (Snorlax) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

MOANIN (Salamence) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Iron Tail
- Roost

BIRD CALLS (Heliolisk) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Ice]

THE CLOWN (Cobalion) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

BLUE CEE (Blastoise-Mega) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin

Wow this teams must be really old, a decay that much takes months. Anyway, cool team Vapo, i like it a lot. Based off your threat list and structure of your team I have a suggestion you might want to consider although it does change the team up a bit. I am thinking you run:
Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick
Over Blastoise. I know this might seem weird at a glance since these pokemon are not similar in typing and you lose your mega slot etc etc. But based off your description on mega Blastoise, Chandelure handles every pokemon listed that you wrote down. Chandelure makes you far less weak to Reuniclus and can live any one hit from Slurpuff after a Belly Drum and OHKOs(Also does a chunk to AV Machamp). Chandelure lets you keep a fire resist(Immunity) that Blastoise gave and gives you a Fighting immunity which you have emphasized as a problem throughout your RMT. This keeps the pressure off Salamence quite a bit. Due to these changes, you would want to give Salamence Defog over Iron Tail and a Timid nature since you lost a rapid spinner. Trust me, this Salamence set is a Reliable hazard remover. Also, the lack of Iron Tail is not too bad as Chandelure can switch into Florges and do about 60% while resisting Moonblast. Due to Chandelure adding a Ground Weakness, and gives you a fighting immunity, change Chople to Shuca berry on Cobalion. This will let you switch into a Ground type move, mainly Krookodile or Mamoswine if absolutely necessary. I hope you take this change in consideration as i think it fits your team quite well.

Edit: Also, really good job on the formatting of this. I especially like the nice descriptions you gave.

Last edited:

Vapo

water me
Thanks for the rate! I'll try that out. Having a ghost type would deter fighting types from choice locking into a fighting type move, especially Mienshao, so I'll do some testing. (btw the team is like ~2.5 months old and I haven't laddered on that account in 2 so that's why the ELO is so low)

Hey man, first of all nice formatting, it made this really nice to read :). Second of all your team is really solid and I like the use of Dugtrio who's not prepared for at all and can really devastate some teams. Timid Mega Blastoise is also really cool to see and it shows just how much threats like Feraligatr and Mamoswine have to be accounted for in the current metagame. Scarf Heliolisk is an interesting option but I think it fits pretty well on your team as a momentum grabber, Scald counter, and revenge killer. SR SD Cobalion is also something I've loved using lately.

I do disagree with the suggestion of Chandelure over Mega Blastoise, I think it puts too much pressure on Salamence to remove hazards while also countering Fighting types and Entei, and besides putting Defog on Salamence just adds another 'mon that's Slurpuff fodder. I also think keeping Chople on Cobalion is probably the better option since as you said, Fighting types can be a major nuisance for your team and can get you useful early-game damage/a kill on something like Heracross, letting Snorlax sweep more easily.

There is one change I think that can help your team out a bit, which is to simply max out Blastoise's Speed instead of only aiming to outspeed Adamant Mamoswine. The 76 HP EVs only add slightly to your bulk and won't really be missed /too/ much, while max Speed ensures that you outspeed Adamant Heracross, Adamant Lucario, and non-Timid Rotoms. Outspeeding the former two is especially useful since you might be able to catch them off guard and get an easier sweep with Snorlax.

Anyway again, cool looking team, no real weaknesses aside from Mega Aero which is manageable if you keep Blastoise/Cobalion healthy or lure it with Heliolisk. Hope my suggestion helped!

Vapo

water me
Thanks dodmen! Appreciate the compliments on formatting, since I spent some time making sure it looked nice. I wasn't sure how much speed to run on Blastoise, but going max does make a lot of sense. I didn't realize it would outspeed Lucario as well, so I'll definitely be switching over to that. I doubt the loss in bulk will be a detriment in the long run, and if it is being able to snag KO's on Heracross and Lucario will more than likely prove to be more beneficial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)