(Singles) The Next Best Thing [Current Subject: Heatran] ~ NOMINATIONS ~

Even on showdown it doesn't do that though.
Yeah it happened on "Showdown." That's the thing of how it happened, so I assume as of right now that it was a bug.

Then again, Showdown has bugs here and there, so I certainly I can't make up a story such as that lol.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah it happened on "Showdown." That's the thing of how it happened, so I assume as of right now that it was a bug.

Then again, Showdown has bugs here and there, so I certainly I can't make up a story such as that lol.
I mean, Snatch is known to only take status moves that affect the opponents' side of the field, so I doubt such a fundamental error would be made tbh. I find it hard to believe without a replay.

I mean, Snatch is known to only take status moves that affect the opponents' side of the field, so I doubt such a fundamental error would be made tbh. I find it hard to believe without a replay.
Unfortunately I don't have a replay. I did say I used that moveset a while ago on Showdown, even before I got into playing Battle Spot In-game. Pretty much, it was the only times I used Snatch. Other than that nothing more. Nobody has to believe anything I say, I'm just only going by what I saw before.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Time to open the voting I think! Unfortunately, I had to omit an entry by mickul since he already had an entry (his stallbreaker set), but the Fling set was what I actually wanted to nominate myself! However I've also already used my entry, so I'm going to leave the Fling idea here as a 'wildcard' entry:

Greninja @ King's Rock
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fling
- Acrobatics
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam / Water Shuriken / Rock Slide / U-turn

So basically Fling + King's Rock works like a Fake Out on slower opponents, then you can use item-less Acrobatics for 110 BP. Low Kick gives coverage against the Steel and Rock types that resist Acrobatics, and Ice Beam is just an all-around good move for killing Garchomp, Salamence and Lando-T. Alternatively you've got Water Shuriken which gives priority, and can work with King's Rock (if you haven't flung it yet) since the chance to flinch rolls with each hit (so you can potentially have 5 chances to flinch in a turn). Rock Slide hits those annoying Charizards, and U-turn can be used for momentum / switching purposes... You could also forego an item which frees up the Fling slot for another move if you want one of those slashed moves really badly.

Anyway, let's vote!!
Unfortunately, I also had to omit PKQ's entry since it was just the standard Focus Sash + 4 special attacks set that we have in our analysis onsite.

Remember, votes in bold and try to give some feedback! I'm voting for Demantoid's set that focuses on beating the Lucario / Hippowdon / Dragonite core which is becoming a popular thing lately. The core works because of the great defensive synergy between the three, and not much can carry moves for all three of them. This set aims to be able to beat at least two of them, which should make it much easier for your team to clean up. Using Shadow Sneak is a clever way to beat Lucario especially!

The creativity for the sets this week was awesome. I vote for PPB this week because I like the idea of SubPetaya Greninja, since it can manage to set up a Sub behind a poke when you predict a switch. Petaya Berry is a nice idea as well, and it sounds like it would hit insanely hard with Hydro Pump when Torrent kicks in.

Also I got wrecked by a Sub Greninja a few weeks ago ingame. It really has the surprise element to it, didn't expect it at all.

Reactions: PPB

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Wildcard

It's a shame that no-one had this as their first idea as it seems like the most original, and the most viable. Priority Water Shuriken flinches in particular sounds like a lot of fun, as does having Acrobatics to blow through Venusaur.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Going to go with Demantoid here. While the last slot has more moves slashed than is probably necessary, being built to handle that specific Dragonite/Hippowdown/Mega Lucario core is neat and really makes clever use of Greninja's lesser used offensive options. It might not be the most innovative looking moveset here beyond Shadow Sneak but the EV spread is very nice and I can definitely see it being a nuisance with Shadow Sneak beyond just handling that core.

Going with cant say and his Charizard / Venusaur killer set. It's pretty simple to use and I like the fact that it OHKOs and outspeeds mega Zard Y and you really don't have to worry about the sun being there anymore since it's not your usual weakened scald or hydro pump attacking. I've also did a few calcs myself and found that HP ground did more damage to Heatran and Charizard X than Hydro Pump but what made it better was you don't have to rely on 80% accuracy.
248 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 118-140 (76.6 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
248 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Ground vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 133-156 (86.9 - 101.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
Vote goes to can't say. That's pretty nice in using either Rock Tomb or Rock Slide for Mega Charizard Y because due to the sun being out, Hydro Pump won't be able to OHKO. Rock Tomb can help provide Speed control against Choice Scarf Pokemon due to the lowering of the Speed stat. Hidden Power Ground would be able to also get rid of Steel-types such as Heatran, Bisharp, and Mega Lucario. Extrasensory would also take out Mega Gengar and Fighting-types that poses a threat to the team.

Demantoid because the idea of completely destroying a core is really cool to me, basically ruins someones team if they're packing it. Plus that set isnt totally unviable if you're not facing that core.

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My vote this week goes to: The Wildcard

I just did some quick calcs on my team and this set threatens more than half of them (Lando-T is a OHKO, Hydreigon is almost a OHKO, Mega Kang will be left with barely anything, still outspeeds Raikou and heavily dents it)

The best part about this set is breaking sashes, one of the most annoying items I find (and also enjoy using) when battling on BS. I just feel that Greninja (and also Tornadus-T) has enough speed to take advantage of Fling + Acrobatics combination.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
K guys. There's currently 9 nominated sets and only 8 votes so far. Bumping this thread so we can get a few more than I'm starting the next one!

Also, I'm pretty sure I know what the next one will be but if you have an idea feel free to message me ;)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
OK this has been open long enough. Little disappointing to not see people voting after having a record number of nominated sets, ah well...

The winner for Greninja was Demantoid! Being able to condense the role of beating one of the more popular cores these days into one Pokemon is pretty cool!

Onto the next Pokemon, we're going to be talking about Altaria! I've been trying this mon out myself lately and found it really interesting, but never see any other people running it. Do you have a cool or interesting set for it? Is there something that you've thought up that you think could work on paper? Let us know here!

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Heal Bell
- Return
- Roost / Earthquake

Dragon Dance altaria is pretty cool. Overall its kinda outclassed by mence but Altaria has heal bell which is sweet. Normally burns and para's cripple set up sweepers, especially DD, so heal bell is pretty cool to deal with that.

Altaria@Altarite
Ability: Cloud Nine / Natural Cure -> Pixalate
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
- Dragon Dance
- Cotton Guard
- Facade / Return
- Roost

Mono-Fairy turns physical Attackers into Set-Up fodder after one Cotton Guard and then sweep. Usually people won't bother to status Altaria because of possible Heal Bell, but Facade is still more preferable IMO.
Cloud Nine is pretty useful to catch Fire Blast from Mega-Zard Y or reliabily switch into Hippo's STAB without taking unnessecary sand damage.
Natural Cure can be used to scout for status on a Return set.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 36 SpA / 120 SpD
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast / Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Cotton Guard

Mega Altaria is like an inferior Mega Salamence, except it has access to things such as Heal Bell and Cotton Guard to wall Pokemon (too bad Mega Mence can't use Refresh for BSS). Though, I do find Fire Blast to be an asset over Hidden Power Rock if you don't mind Fire-types.

Hyper Voice is a nice STAB move to use on Altaria due to the boost from Pixilate. It hits Dragon-, Fighting-, and Dark-types such as Garchomp, Mega Salamence, Breloom, Mega Gallade, Tyranitar, and Mega Sableye. Also, Hyper Voice can go though Substitute Pokemon as well, such as Mega Lopunny, Mega Salamence, Whimsicott, Gyarados, etc. Fire Blast is a nice coverage move against Steel-, Grass-, and Ice-types such as Ferrothorn, Excadrill, Bisharp, Aegislash, Breloom, Mamoswine, and Glalie. Flamethrower can be used if you hate the accuracy and want more PP. Dragon Pulse can be used but I find it to be redundant because you have a Fairy-type move that can hit Dragon-types. Roost can be used to replenish any loss of HP from a foe. It can also be used to stall out physical attackers with Cotton Guard and wall them. From 1 boost, Mega Altaria would be at a +2.5 taking many hits.

252 HP and 120 Special Defense with a Calm nature gives Mega Altaria more special bulk. 100 Def gives Mega Altaria some physical bulk. The remaining 36 SpA gives it a little damage output.

EDIT: I don't think by any chance we can have two movesets on here (Mainly cause of the fact the EVs are different for Hidden Power Rock).

Last edited:
Mega Altaria has a lot of bulk and access to echoed voice so even though this isnt technically a BSS set i stil thought i would post

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Echoed voice
- Fire blast/ Earthquake
- Roost
- Earthquake/ Draco meteor/ Dragon pulse

This is not viable in bss as it will not make the best use with only 3 pokemon

If i did my math right

Echoed Voice Hyper Voice Return
1st Turn Base power 79.8 1st Turn Base Power 179.55 1st Turn Base Power 203.49
2nd Turn Base Power 159.6 2nd Turn Base Power 179.55 2nd Turn Base Power 203.49
3rd Turn Base Power 239.4 3rd Turn Base Power 179.55 3rd Turn Base Power 203.49
4th Turn Base Power 319.2 4th Turn Base Power 179.55 4th Turn Base Power 203.49
5th Turn Base Power 399 5th Turn Base Power 179.55 5th turn Base Power 203.49

So Echoed voice only really becomes viable after the 3rd turn BUTT it becomes crazy powerful after that reaching places only hyper voice and return could only dream of

On problem echoed voice suffers is that it must be used consecutively to get stronger so in theory you'll have to stop your chain if a steel/poison/fire pokemon come out BUTT even though stopping at a high chain sucks It does give you a chance to roost and then hit them with a fire blast (eq is for the ever so common heatran)

Even though you should switch moves from echoed voice to fireblast/eq you stil do great damage if your high up in echoed voices

CALCS
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria 3rd Echoed voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 333-393 (122.4 - 144.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria 5th Echoed Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 261-307 (100.7 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria 5th Echoed Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 265-313 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria 4th Echoed Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 379-447 (127.6 - 150.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria 3rd Echoed Voice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 255-301 (105.8 - 124.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria 5th Echoed Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 183-216 (61.6 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria 5th Echoed Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 280-330 (94.2 - 111.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria 5th Echoed Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victini: 207-243 (60.7 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria 5th Echoed Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 190-224 (63.1 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria 5th Echoed Voice vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 198-234 (59.1 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
OK I think I'm gonna post a lame set and open the voting so we can move on!

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure -> Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Snore
- Cotton Guard
- Hyper Voice / Flamethrower / Hidden Power Ground / Earthquake

So basically I just thought that you could utilise the Pixilate + STAB boost on Snore when asleep so that you can boost you def, then heal yourself and not have to rely on Sleep Talk (coz a constant 97 BP (factoring Pixillate + STAB boost) move is more reliable than clicking Sleep Talk and hoping you land Hyper Voice / any other offensive move). The last slot is a massive toss up. Hyper Voice gives you strong STAB without having to Rest first, the other moves just give coverage against Fairy resists but you need to be awake to use them and you also need to be asleep to use your STAB...

I was gonna do DD + Facade but it felt too similar to the other DD sets. I've actually used the set on the cartridge ladder and it's legitimately good!!

Anyways, to the voting! Here are your options:
I'm voting for mertyville since it's similar to the Facade set I run myself. Double dancing is an interesting idea so I think it would be worth a try!

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"NOMINATIONS" is still on the title btw

cant say

I really like the combination of Rest + Snore, no free turns during sleep and Snore is great since it goes through subs as well and is boosted by Pixilate.
Cotton Guard is nice if you can set up on a dark type like Sableye/Mega Sableye (I really hate this guy), with 1 boost Altaria becomes a massive threat to physical attackers and Bullet Punchers.
EQ with no investment and hindering nature still 2HKOs defensive Heatran and Flash Cannon only has 0.4% chance to 2HKO if offensive.
I’d still probably run Hyper Voice on the last slot since I love this move c:

Time to breed a HA Eevee so I can try a Calm Mind Snore set on Sylveon lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)