SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think that I read somewhere (maybe on the official Nintendo website) that its Mega form was what it looked like before it became a fossil, but honestly, that just raises more questions than answers...
I never bought that Mega Aerodactyl is what Aerodactyl was meant to look like. WHAT?! So in prehistoric times Aerodactyl just had random stone spikes sticking out of its body? And if this is true, does this mean all the other Fossil Pokemon are actually not what they're suppose to look like?

If anything I would say that Mega Aerodactyl isn't really Aerodactyl's proper evolution. With all those stone spikes sticking out, I'm wondering if reviving it didn't do something to its DNA. Like I always thought a Fossil Pokemon was part Rock was because they were revived from a rock, originally they probably weren't Rock-types.

Didn't the mega evolution guru in X/Y say that mega evolution is only possible for Pokemon that have already gone as far as they can with normal evolution, a way for them to temporarily 'outdo' themselves in battle? This is also why I don't really get people complaining or being mystified as to how certain mega evolution form Pokemon can survive or eat in that form. They don't stay like that indefinitely, it's just for battle. (though I'd suspect that Salamence aren't entirely happy about it, returning to not being able to stay airborne indefinitely)

As for the mega stones themselves, I don't think there's one for every (fully evolved) Pokemon out there somewhere. Probably for many of them, but not for ones who wouldn't benefit from it in battle. Ditto transforms itself into a copy of what it sees, so it's not a 'Ditto' for long. And Shedinja probably can't make use of a mega stone when it faints to anything that slips past its Wonder Guard. To be sure, though, there's definitely a LOT more mega stones out there than have currently been discovered.
I imagine a Pokemon can Mega Evolve whenever it wants if its willing to spend the energy. While Salamence like to fly there are times it needs to land like to eat and rest, so honestly it doesn't need to be Mega Evolved all the time. Also being Salamence is able to fly on its own it probably would only Mega Evolve when it wants to "let loose".

And while I can imagine some fully evolved Pokemon having a tough time getting a Mega Evolution, I think there's always a way if GameFreak really think outside the box. First off, Shedinja would probably keep its Ability though just get improved stats, it getting a Mega isn't a problem. But for Pokemon like Ditto I would imagine they need to be a bit more creative. For example I always imagined Mega Ditto getting a "Mega Imposter" Ability which has it transform as it usually does BUT if its opponent has a Mega Evolution for that opponent it'll turn to its Mega Evolution even if the opponent hasn't Mega Evolved yet. Other Pokemon who would have problems would be Pokemon with different forms or certain gimmicks (like Zoroark) but you just need to think a bit more outside the box for them.

Would evolutionary stones be like the mega stones in a way? Let's look at Eevee for an example. Two Pokemon can have two different mega forms, and some normally branch off into two different lines. Eevee has eight evolutions, three of which are with stones. Depending on the stone, like the XY variant for megas, Eevee will evolve to a different Pokemon. Eevee obviously stays as the evolution chosen, but are they related? To compare the two, here are the similarities. Evolution stones change the form of the Pokemon, and can even split an evolution line (Oddish and Poliwag are good examples.) with them. Mega Stones similarly can split off as with Mewtwo and Charizard. Since the Pokemon universe is probably two, one with megas and one with none, the evolution stones could be there as a replacement. But why are they in XY/ORAS? Because they are like mega stones, but react to multiple Pokemon. Adding to this theory is welcome, what are your thoughts?
I suppose there's a possible relation. For all we know some Mega Stones were transformed from evolutionary stones. What we know about evolutionary stones is that they force certain Pokemon to evolve by giving off radiation that Pokemon is sensitive to. For Mega Stones we know they came into creation after the Ultimate Weapon fired off and spread what would eventually be called Infinity Energy all over the Pokemon World, the radiation from this energy turning some stones into Mega Stones. So there's certainly a link and maybe for Pokemon who need an evolutionary stone to evolve if they got a Mega Evolution their Mega Stone could be a transformed evolutionary stone. However at that point it's a non issue as, at least for the player, the two have become two separate items. Unless they add in a way to turn an evolutionary stone into a Mega Stone I see this as a rather moot point on the player end.

In each game, the Pokedex claims that Ho-oh has rainbow-coloured wings or wings of 7 different colours. However, as I see it, Ho-oh's wings are red, with a little white and green feathers at the tip of it's wings. Is it just Gameplay and Story Segregation or am I missing something here?
More like artistic license of what actually looks good overriding what the game is trying to say. Here are some bits from Ho-Oh's other Pokedex entries that may explain a few things:

Silver: A legend says that its body glows in seven colors. A rainbow is said to form behind it when it flies.
Ruby & Sapphire: Ho-Oh's feathers glow in seven colors depending on the angle at which they are struck by light.
So its feathers seem to actually change color rather having layers of feather of different colors. Also since it creates a rainbow as it flies its possible the very few people who see it mistake it having rainbow colored feathers.

Like this.

X: A discarded bug shell that came to life. Peering into the crack on its back is said to steal one's spirit. And... we are not dead? Good job Dex-writers.
Well we're not really peering into the crack on its back, just looking at it from afar. I think when they say peer into it I think they mean going right up to it and looking deep down into the crack. And it's also a legend, my guess is that if its able to steal souls (it is a Ghost-type so you have to assume it has some paranormal power) it not only has control over who stole it steals but/or there also needs to be some additional requirements to make the soul stealable (otherwise I'd imagine people would have hunted the Nincada family to extinction).

I never bought that Mega Aerodactyl is what Aerodactyl was meant to look like. WHAT?! So in prehistoric times Aerodactyl just had random stone spikes sticking out of its body? And if this is true, does this mean all the other Fossil Pokemon are actually not what they're suppose to look like?

If anything I would say that Mega Aerodactyl isn't really Aerodactyl's proper evolution. With all those stone spikes sticking out, I'm wondering if reviving it didn't do something to its DNA. Like I always thought a Fossil Pokemon was part Rock was because they were revived from a rock, originally they probably weren't Rock-types.

Well we're not really peering into the crack on its back, just looking at it from afar. I think when they say peer into it I think they mean going right up to it and looking deep down into the crack. And it's also a legend, my guess is that if its able to steal souls (it is a Ghost-type so you have to assume it has some paranormal power) it not only has control over who stole it steals but/or there also needs to be some additional requirements to make the soul stealable (otherwise I'd imagine people would have hunted the Nincada family to extinction).
Okay, the Shedinja thing was just a joke. No need for all of you to go and analyze it. On to the fossil Pokemon thing. DNA deteriorates over time, we know that. If the Pokemon fossils are from around the same time as our Cretaceous period, etc, they would definitely not be complete. In Jurassic Park they used frog DNA to fill in the gaps. Something similar could be done with fossil Pokemon, having say the professor's putting some Pidgeot DNA into Aerodactyl's DNA gaps. It could explain why Mega Aerodactyl would be its true form, the Mega Stone filling in what the Pidgeot DNA could not replicate. Genesect obviously used to look different before it was messed with. If Genesect were to have a mega theoretically, if it was like Aerodactyl is would revert to its original form before becoming a cyborg monster.

Okay, the Shedinja thing was just a joke. No need for all of you to go and analyze it. On to the fossil Pokemon thing. DNA deteriorates over time, we know that. If the Pokemon fossils are from around the same time as our Cretaceous period, etc, they would definitely not be complete. In Jurassic Park they used frog DNA to fill in the gaps. Something similar could be done with fossil Pokemon, having say the professor's putting some Pidgeot DNA into Aerodactyl's DNA gaps. It could explain why Mega Aerodactyl would be its true form, the Mega Stone filling in what the Pidgeot DNA could not replicate. Genesect obviously used to look different before it was messed with. If Genesect were to have a mega theoretically, if it was like Aerodactyl is would revert to its original form before becoming a cyborg monster.
Is there proof that Genesect was potentially incomplete or substituted in the manner Aerodactyl was in this theory though? I wouldn't put it past Team Plasma to have more advanced technology at their disposal that their scientists didn't share, which could reconstruct Genesect in its entirety (or at least much moreso than regular revival machines).

I always assumed Genesect was (organically) more or less the same, and then they modified its body heavily with the cybernetics.

Mega Evolution's trend always seems to be enhancing/exaggerating an already prominent feature of the Pokemon, such as Blastoise's cannons, Slowbro's Shellder, Gallade's blades, Gardevoir's dress, etc.

If you look at Aerodactyl's design, however, it's rather plain all things considered. Very little about the design stands out as a feature to emphasize when I look at it, so the change amounts more to just enhancing the body overall with the various armor spikes. This would coincide with the relatively even distribution of its stat boosts (each stat getting 20-30 points between them).

Is there proof that Genesect was potentially incomplete or substituted in the manner Aerodactyl was in this theory though? I wouldn't put it past Team Plasma to have more advanced technology at their disposal that their scientists didn't share, which could reconstruct Genesect in its entirety (or at least much moreso than regular revival machines).

I always assumed Genesect was (organically) more or less the same, and then they modified its body heavily with the cybernetics.

Mega Evolution's trend always seems to be enhancing/exaggerating an already prominent feature of the Pokemon, such as Blastoise's cannons, Slowbro's Shellder, Gallade's blades, Gardevoir's dress, etc.

If you look at Aerodactyl's design, however, it's rather plain all things considered. Very little about the design stands out as a feature to emphasize when I look at it, so the change amounts more to just enhancing the body overall with the various armor spikes. This would coincide with the relatively even distribution of its stat boosts (each stat getting 20-30 points between them).
Doesn't one of Genesect's Pokedex entries state Team Plasma pretty much just added/upgraded the cannon on its back?

Just found an interesting theory on how Genesect could be a heavily modified Kabutops. In it they state that Team Plasma didn't know about Kabutops, a Kanto fossil, but it is possible they were a related species.

Just found an interesting theory on how Genesect could be a heavily modified Kabutops. In it they state that Team Plasma didn't know about Kabutops, a Kanto fossil, but it is possible they were a related species.
I totally agree that genesect looks very similar to kabutops and is definitely related, but I must bring up the point that genesect is part bug and kabutops is not. Also, the more you look at it, the less kabutops looks like genesect (the scythe arms, different waist size, and different placement of features on the head- such as eyes and genesects teeth/mouth?), but then again the pokedex entry does say that team plasma modified it, so we can assume that they would be slightly different at the least.

If the Pokemon fossils are from around the same time as our Cretaceous period, etc, they would definitely not be complete.
Unless Pokémon DNA is different than our own, there actually wouldn't be any left.
The Fossil Pokémon are about 100 million years old (most of their Pokédex entries say this...I think one of them is different, 300 million).
DNA has a half-life of 521 years. In layman's terms: after a 100 million years, there wouldn't be any DNA, making cloning impossible.

Unless Pokémon DNA is different than our own, there actually wouldn't be any left.
The Fossil Pokémon are about 100 million years old (most of their Pokédex entries say this...I think one of them is different, 300 million).
DNA has a half-life of 521 years. In layman's terms: after a 100 million years, there wouldn't be any DNA, making cloning impossible.
Doesn't this assume that it's just fossilized remains that wouldn't contain the full DNA of the creature? Because I remember reading somewhere that they recently found a fossil with intact flesh from a dinosaur of some kind.

Also, in Aerodactyl's case at least, it's preserved in amber as opposed to a fossil, so the DNA sample inside can't be reached by the bacteria that would cause it to deteriorate.

Finally, I just don't think Pokemon DNA works the same way as humans, considering Pokeballs can work on every Pokemon, but not on humans evidently, means there has to be SOMETHING the Pokeball can identify to know it hit a Pokemon. Also, humans can't breathe fire and fly.

Doesn't this assume that it's just fossilized remains that wouldn't contain the full DNA of the creature? Because I remember reading somewhere that they recently found a fossil with intact flesh from a dinosaur of some kind.

Also, in Aerodactyl's case at least, it's preserved in amber as opposed to a fossil, so the DNA sample inside can't be reached by the bacteria that would cause it to deteriorate.

Finally, I just don't think Pokemon DNA works the same way as humans, considering Pokeballs can work on every Pokemon, but not on humans evidently, means there has to be SOMETHING the Pokeball can identify to know it hit a Pokemon. Also, humans can't breathe fire and fly.
Actually DNA is smaller than bacteria to begin with, the process in wich it deteriorates is more of structural issues within the helix components making it last for just a brief time in a coherent functional way.

I have another mystery-like question- is tyranitar an ancient pokemon? We all know that seemingly all fossil pokemon are part rock type and resemble prehistoric life forms. Tyranitar perfectly fits this description, as he is dark/rock and is obviously based off various dinosaurs (Godzilla moreover, who in turn is based off dinosaurs). I believe it is possible that he survived since the ancient times because of his great power. Other evidence that may back up the fact that he is an ancient pokemon is he fact that there are fossil pokemon in every generation except gen 2, his generation, so he may, in fact, be the "fossil" pokemon for gen 2. Also, relicanth is also an ancient Pokemon that has survived since prehistoric times, so if tyranitar was also an ancient Pokemon, he would not be alone (making it more sensible). What we do not know as of now is whether the rock typing of ancient Pokemon is from their lifestyle or their resurrection, however since relicanth is part rock I think it is safe to say that it is not from resurrection. What do you guys think- is tyranitar an ancient Pokemon?

I have another mystery-like question- is tyranitar an ancient pokemon? We all know that seemingly all fossil pokemon are part rock type and resemble prehistoric life forms. Tyranitar perfectly fits this description, as he is dark/rock and is obviously based off various dinosaurs (Godzilla moreover, who in turn is based off dinosaurs). I believe it is possible that he survived since the ancient times because of his great power. Other evidence that may back up the fact that he is an ancient pokemon is he fact that there are fossil pokemon in every generation except gen 2, his generation, so he may, in fact, be the "fossil" pokemon for gen 2. Also, relicanth is also an ancient Pokemon that has survived since prehistoric times, so if tyranitar was also an ancient Pokemon, he would not be alone (making it more sensible). What we do not know as of now is whether the rock typing of ancient Pokemon is from their lifestyle or their resurrection, however since relicanth is part rock I think it is safe to say that it is not from resurrection. What do you guys think- is tyranitar an ancient Pokemon?
If I recall didn't haxorus and Garchomp Dex seemed them quite old as well?

Anyways he would be the equivalent of an even more territorial crocodile, such a good evolutionary niche design it needs no change thorough the ages.

Tyranitar probably has a long lifespan as well, assuming that it is a reptile which can live to be over a hundred in some species. But what about Pokemon like Aggron? Could it also be a surviving fossil? Aggron and Tyranitar are similar design-wise, both being bipedal reptilian monsters. It probably isn't necessary that all fossil Pokemon are Rock types, for Tyranitar it's the whole thing about eating mountains in earlier stages. Aggron could easily be a surviving fossil Pokemon, it is definitely capable of fighting off other Pokemon and surviving that long.

Some awesome realistic Pokemon by arvalis on DeviantArt, thought I might feature his Aggron and Tyranitar as Aggron has a have description for possible natural behavior. Tyranitar is just awesome looking, go check him out!
Aggron

Aggron are very large, very defensive terrestrial omnivores. Aggron young, hereafter referred to as Aron, live largely in cave ecosystems. They have very large eyes for their build and are most often found hiding in crevices. They lack the offensive capability of their older counterparts. As the Aron grow, the juvenile state is called Lairon. Though Lairon share the same susceptibility to attacks from more advanced elemental Pokemon, their hide has greatly thickened, even growing sail like forms on its back to appear larger and more of a threat. Lairon are most frequently spotted in the open air caves that often surround the regional Pokemon Leagues. A full grown Aggron is a sight to behold, and an extremely rare one at that. Aggrons in the age of Pokemon training are generally only seen under a trainer's command, they were once thought of as demons and any full grown specimen was tracked and hunted. Aggron is thought to be the modern relative of the extinct Bastiodon. Geodudes, an unfortunately abundant species often use large Pokemon as a means of transport, Aggron is no exception. A Golem mother can yield a clutch of nearly 50 young Geodudes, many trainers have stepped on young Geodudes thinking them no different than rocks. Durants are just big ants made of metal and are mean to everyone.

Tyranitar

Tyranitar is a pretty cool guy. I didn't want to go the route that most artists go with making him more realistic. I thought it would be very cool to see a more ankylosauroid Tyranitar. I threw in a cute little Larvitar as well. You can see the entire process recording over at My Livestream Channel

I wonder, maybe the reason why there are only a few fossil Pokemon and that they are all part-rock is because only the fossils of the part-rock Pokemon can have their DNA and stuff survive those millions of years. Maybe there were hundreds of others that went extinct that we CAN'T revive because there lacks any good specimen for them.

It appears we have fossils of Dragonite too. I believe in an episode of the anime (Black and White) there was one hanging in the museum that they were playing Ghost Busters in. Although I guess it can just be a model for decoration.

It appears we have fossils of Dragonite too. I believe in an episode of the anime (Black and White) there was one hanging in the museum that they were playing Ghost Busters in. Although I guess it can just be a model for decoration.
Oh we do have other fossils, but Dragonites are still Dragonites. Just like we have fossils of the very first humans. Plus, nobody's actually reviving that Dragonite into a fleshy creature that has its own mind and stuff.

But if that is an actual thousand year old fossil, not recent bones or a model, it can show some modern day Pokemon survived from ancient times.

Also, there is a possibility that some of those pokemon were fossil pokemon that got revived and managed to survive in nature. That would also explain why some pokemon, like Aggron and Tyranitar, are so rare, as they haven't been around for that long and are still increasing in population.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Dragonite fossil was in the games, too. It's in the Narcene Museum.

1,000 years ago isn't ancient, lol. It definitely was a long time ago, but it sure as hell ain't pre-historic.

Also, there is a possibility that some of those pokemon were fossil pokemon that got revived and managed to survive in nature. That would also explain why some pokemon, like Aggron and Tyranitar, are so rare, as they haven't been around for that long and are still increasing in population.
Except it is mentioned that early cartographers had to redesign their maps due to their influence in the environment. Map making is older than DNA existence in the medical field.

Except it is mentioned that early cartographers had to redesign their maps due to their influence in the environment. Map making is older than DNA existence in the medical field.
Then maybe not Tyranitar, but that still leaves quite a few options (any pokemon that can learn Ancient Power might work).

Isn't Mamoswine so posed to be a super-ancient Pokemon they found in a glacier? Quite a few Pokedex entries say they found 10,000 year old Mamoswine in ice. They repeat the same entries a lot (Could be Bulbapedia messing it up though.) but it does show they have been found. Mamoswine could easily be a survivor along with Relicanth.

Platinum: A frozen one was dug up from soil dating back 10,000 years. It woke up to much amazement.
Heartgold: A frozen Mamoswine was dug from ice dating back 10,000 years. This Pokémon has been around a long, long, long time.
Black and White: A frozen one was dug up from soil dating back 10,000 years. It woke up to much amazement.
X:A frozen Mamoswine was dug from ice dating back 10,000 years. This Pokémon has been around a long, long, long time.
Omega Ruby: A frozen Mamoswine was dug from ice dating back 10,000 years. This Pokémon has been around a long, long, long time.

It's mostly a reference from the guy who diverted funds to revive it's own woolly mammoth, it contrasts with DP release age in Japan so Mamoswine could have been inspired a bit in that regard, there is also the hilarious fact that mammoth was first conceived as a sloth like creature, then a super hog before the archeologist correlated some pelvical bones for it to be considered a Paquiderm.

Bonus points, several instances of Greeks claiming to posses a cyclops head where just elephant skulls.

Last edited:
Tyranitar probably has a long lifespan as well, assuming that it is a reptile which can live to be over a hundred in some species. But what about Pokemon like Aggron? Could it also be a surviving fossil? Aggron and Tyranitar are similar design-wise, both being bipedal reptilian monsters. It probably isn't necessary that all fossil Pokemon are Rock types, for Tyranitar it's the whole thing about eating mountains in earlier stages. Aggron could easily be a surviving fossil Pokemon, it is definitely capable of fighting off other Pokemon and surviving that long.

Some awesome realistic Pokemon by arvalis on DeviantArt, thought I might feature his Aggron and Tyranitar as Aggron has a have description for possible natural behavior. Tyranitar is just awesome looking, go check him out!
Aggron

Aggron are very large, very defensive terrestrial omnivores. Aggron young, hereafter referred to as Aron, live largely in cave ecosystems. They have very large eyes for their build and are most often found hiding in crevices. They lack the offensive capability of their older counterparts. As the Aron grow, the juvenile state is called Lairon. Though Lairon share the same susceptibility to attacks from more advanced elemental Pokemon, their hide has greatly thickened, even growing sail like forms on its back to appear larger and more of a threat. Lairon are most frequently spotted in the open air caves that often surround the regional Pokemon Leagues. A full grown Aggron is a sight to behold, and an extremely rare one at that. Aggrons in the age of Pokemon training are generally only seen under a trainer's command, they were once thought of as demons and any full grown specimen was tracked and hunted. Aggron is thought to be the modern relative of the extinct Bastiodon. Geodudes, an unfortunately abundant species often use large Pokemon as a means of transport, Aggron is no exception. A Golem mother can yield a clutch of nearly 50 young Geodudes, many trainers have stepped on young Geodudes thinking them no different than rocks. Durants are just big ants made of metal and are mean to everyone.

Tyranitar

Tyranitar is a pretty cool guy. I didn't want to go the route that most artists go with making him more realistic. I thought it would be very cool to see a more ankylosauroid Tyranitar. I threw in a cute little Larvitar as well. You can see the entire process recording over at My Livestream Channel
I think what it comes down to with Aggron for me is how much of his body is tissue vs plate armor, or how closely related those parts are integrated biologically. If Aggron is mostly metal, it's much harder to cause severe internal damage in battle, and there's fewer ways for infection to enter the body to cause disease.

Tyranitar being the "Fossil" Pokemon of Gen 2 could make sense, since the Sandstorm gives it a defense mechanism none of the other Fossils could compete with, on top of just being the most defensive in the first place bar Bastiodon.

On interesting thing about Tyranitar is that his greatest weakness, fighting types, are something that probably didn't show up in an evolutionary for millions of years from the fossil Pokemon time, since a good number of them are humanoid in shape, bar things like the Musketeer trio. Aurorus as a Rock/Ice type would have fared poorly in confrontation with the other fossils (maybe Freeze Dry was a defense mechanism it developed for the Rock/Waters), the Water types lose their habitat during a theoretical Ice Age, and various others would face problems either from the environment itself, or from Ice type Pokemon in battle. Tyranitar seems the most well equipped for such conditions, Sand Stream protecting it from adverse weather and providing favorable battle conditions.

Something else I recall is the theory that most of the reptilian dinosaurs (in terms of appearance at least) supposedly evolved into modern birds/avians. With the exception of Tyrantrum, most of the fossils are based on ancient creatures, but not directly based on what we assign the term "Dinosaur" to in modern culture. Is it possible that most of the other Dinosaur-esque Pokemon followed the same route and eventually became some of the more birdlike species of Pokemon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)