All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Haha Jellicent, Misdreavus and I go way back. Anyway, to answer Missy's question, typically for old stuff where you're not guaranteed 3 IVs and RNG abuse is extremely difficult / impractical, just maximize Speed, get the nature you want, and make the other stats > 20. There may be some cases where you'd have to modify the HP IV (like 29 for LO numbers) but Mewtwo doesn't really encounter that situation afaik. Jelly hit the nail on the head in that the mirror match is most important.

RNG abuse really isn't a thing in FRLG unless you're playing on an emulator.
That's about what I'd go for if I had the aid of Synchronize, but as I'm sure you know, it doesn't work in FR/LG. Unless I'm missing something, the chance of having both the right nature and max Speed is 1/800 (1/25 for nature * 1/32 for IV), which is impractical to say the least.

Is there any place to find sample teams for GSC? I'm going to play GSC in a tourney on some other site this week and started looking up GSC stuff today, and I don't think I'll be able to build much of a team myself.

I have proof Snow Warning is glitched from this log:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotdoublesvgc2015-246019392

and many of my battles people suddenly were using min speed toeds and tars it seemed like. My theory that Snow Warning went first as the only explanation turned out to be correct in my test with JackOras. Excuse the language by me in the chat lol, I was mad. I was so tired of being outweathered every single battle, thought it was just a coincidence until that battle then I knew something very fishy was up. Anyways this is DeagleBeagle I will get my Smogon account hopefully fixed soon as I don't have to post on my brother's account. Please spread this to any programmers because I am not sure the right place to post this so I do not want to get in trouble!

Austin

Schismatic
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have proof Snow Warning is glitched from this log:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotdoublesvgc2015-246019392

and many of my battles people suddenly were using min speed toeds and tars it seemed like. My theory that Snow Warning went first as the only explanation turned out to be correct in my test with JackOras. Excuse the language by me in the chat lol, I was mad. I was so tired of being outweathered every single battle, thought it was just a coincidence until that battle then I knew something very fishy was up. Anyways this is DeagleBeagle I will get my Smogon account hopefully fixed soon as I don't have to post on my brother's account. Please spread this to any programmers because I am not sure the right place to post this so I do not want to get in trouble!
Hey, i'm sorry but this has nothing to do with the older generations, here is a link to the place where you should report this bug, make sure you read the op before posting though

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
It has everything to do with older generations, since Ruins of Alph includes everything pre-current gen (i.e. Gens 3-5 where weather is a thing). This isn't the bug report threat though, yes.

Austin

Schismatic
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It has everything to do with older generations, since Ruins of Alph includes everything pre-current gen (i.e. Gens 3-5 where weather is a thing). This isn't the bug report threat though, yes.
let me reiterate, This has nothing to do with this older generation thread.

The WCoP is a test, if we (as BW players) are fine with it, it will be official.

There will be an announcement about that at the end of WCoP.

I was on the PO simulator playing DPP OU and I noticed that Life Orb recoil does not occur if the attacker hits a Substitute. Is this mechanic correct with the generation, or is this just a PO glitch?

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
is there a list of all the suspects done for BW1 and BW2 ou?

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
That's kinda a tricky question because the line between aggressive and stall isn't that huge in gsc. Marowak is an aggressive mon already, are you still running a stall team when you put it on a team with like skarm raikou snorlax a firelax check and a filler? Hard to say, especially since Marowak will be one pokemon that doesn't want to take any hits at all and turn the focus of your team to a rather aggressive one. From personal experience i'd say marowak works nicely when it has direct support (paralysis spread, lures for skarmory, suicune and so on) and a solid defensive core in the back, since you will be playing more or less 5vs6 in the early match unless you have big testicles. Other things Marowak likes to reach its fullest potential are Rapid Spin or Heal Bell, two things that you generally don't see on aggro teams but you very often see on stallier teams. Using marowak as your source of offensive pressure on a rather defensive/supportive team is a pretty old strategy, but nonetheless an effective one. That doesn't mean that aggressive teams can't make use of Marowak, they can since it is the hardest hitter in the tier and they often have good counterplays for mons like Skarmory. Baton pass teams probably also deserve a mention here, since a +2 +2 Marowak can often sweep whole teams, and that is indeed an aggressive team.
I wouldn't say either, but i hope i answered your question a bit.

Yeah, putting marowak on an aggressive team seems a lot more attractive though. Spikes and explosions can really make him shine I think. I understand why he would work well on a team similar to my charizard team that I posted in jorgen's thread. But i've seen him on stall teams and im just wondering what the pros are to that in a bit more detail. And btw, my definition of an aggressive team is pretty much an explosion team . And my definition of a stall team is one that doesn't try to end the game by turn 30 something and can last a very long time.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Marowak works on a spectrum of teams. He plays a little differently depending on what surrounds him though. Defensive teams are generally going to be cagier about switching him in, set up more often when he does come in, and are more likely to forego coverage for Rest + Heal Bell shenanigans. Offensive teams are going to switch him in more often as A) they prioritize maintaining constant pressure, which Marowak applies a lot of, and B) they often don't have a Raikou to bring in on Thunders; they'll also be more likely to attack rather than set up, and are more likely to run Hidden Power for coverage or, much more rarely, forego Swords Dance for Rest + Sleep Talk (or perhaps a fourth coverage move like Fire Blast for hitting Skarms on the switch!)

That said, you want to mix up your balance between setup and attack, switching in and staying out no matter what your team. Using a stall, you might want to be a little looser with Wak than your comfort zone dictates in order to make progress; Rest + Heal Bell often enables this. Using an offense, you might want to be a bit more conservative and use him more as a threat to do things like prevent Ttar from switching in fearing the double-switch (many offenses can struggle a bit with Ttar), or prevent Electrics from going for Thunders, thereby allowing Lax more chances to switch in.

Yeah, putting marowak on an aggressive team seems a lot more attractive though. Spikes and explosions can really make him shine I think. I understand why he would work well on a team similar to my charizard team that I posted in jorgen's thread. But i've seen him on stall teams and im just wondering what the pros are to that in a bit more detail. And btw, my definition of an aggressive team is pretty much an explosion team . And my definition of a stall team is one that doesn't try to end the game by turn 30 something and can last a very long time.
If you have even played GSC, you should know well enough that even offense vs. offense can last over 50 turns.

Marowak works on a spectrum of teams. He plays a little differently depending on what surrounds him though. Defensive teams are generally going to be cagier about switching him in, set up more often when he does come in, and are more likely to forego coverage for Rest + Heal Bell shenanigans. Offensive teams are going to switch him in more often as A) they prioritize maintaining constant pressure, which Marowak applies a lot of, and B) they often don't have a Raikou to bring in on Thunders; they'll also be more likely to attack rather than set up, and are more likely to run Hidden Power for coverage or, much more rarely, forego Swords Dance for Rest + Sleep Talk (or perhaps a fourth coverage move like Fire Blast for hitting Skarms on the switch!)

That said, you want to mix up your balance between setup and attack, switching in and staying out no matter what your team. Using a stall, you might want to be a little looser with Wak than your comfort zone dictates in order to make progress; Rest + Heal Bell often enables this. Using an offense, you might want to be a bit more conservative and use him more as a threat to do things like prevent Ttar from switching in fearing the double-switch (many offenses can struggle a bit with Ttar), or prevent Electrics from going for Thunders, thereby allowing Lax more chances to switch in.
Thanks man. This is pretty much what I was looking for.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Afaik it's only banned in the wcop, not on ladders or in other tourneys. And since wcop isn't over yet there haven't been any changes to that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)