ORAS OU Downpour! The most standard but effective rain team

Team Concept: I swore to myself during BW I'd never make a rain team because of how centralizing they were during that metagame. Times have changed though and now that rain teams are relatively underutilized I've decided to wake people back up to how powerful they still can be in ORAS. Pretty much all my sets are straight up copied from the suggestions off smogon which might seem boring but I find them to be very effective and well suited for the composition.

Team:

Politoed @ damprock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- scald
- toxic
- rest
- encore

Obviously the best place to start a rain team is with Politoed! Aside from being a weather bot he can be used as an effective switch to save the damage dealers from taking unneeded hits. Spamming scald is always effective and can land some surprise damage if the opponent overpredicts and switches to something that is intended to counter what they think I will be switching to. Encore has gotten me out of hot water before as well making sure set up sweepers can't get out of control on my Ferrothorn and toxic helps get rid of stall or can get a surprise status on water or grass types switching in.

Swampert @ swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- waterfall
- earthquake
- icepunch
- lowkick

Mega Swampert is definitely the most underrated mega in ORAS OU. With him, my mainly water and flying team gets a nifty immunity to electric type attacks and he functions as a great cleaner/wallbreaker. His coverage is great and he provides the attack power I need to get past really specially defensive teams.

Ferrothorn @ leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- gyroball
- leechseed
- powerwhip
- stealthrock

Another staple to rain teams we have Ferrothron. Going Specially Defensive really gives Ferrothorn a lot of room to survive fire attacks with the additional rain dampening. He can function as a nice switch into things like Raikou or the Latis that would otherwise be landing hard hitting attacks. His typing and natural defensive bulk also allows him to switch into most physical attackers as well outside of very powerful fighting types like Keldeo. But that's why we have our next mon!

Tornadus-Therian @ assaultvest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- hurricane
- focusblast
- knockoff
- uturn

As soon as I started using this guy I knew that he would be rising on the OU ranking thread. Sure enough what many thought of as only a B mon soared into A+. Tornadus-T is quite scary with how well he works. He checks the fighting types and grass types that would otherwise rock my team while providing additional utility with knock off and u-turn coupled with regenerator and additional power with 100% accurate hurricanes and specially offensive fighting coverage. He truly is a key mon to the team as he is usually the best switch in to whatever the opponent has to counter the rest of the team.
The set I'm using has changed see Updates.

Kingdra @ choicespecs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- dracometeor
- icebeam
- hydropump
- scald

I was unsure if I wanted to add another swift swimmer on the team but Kingdra has proved to be a great win condition. If the other mons can stall or breaks the walls Kingdra can't and rain is still on the map Kingdra can usually close relatively easily. Although mons like Azumarill, Clefable, and Ferrothorn can be tough customers to Kingdra, the sheer power of Choice specs rain boosted hydropumps or scald can really put pressure even on those hardest of counters. The only struggle I've incurred using it is bringing it out too early for a kill only to be revenged or worn down too early. Kingdra has been cut in place of Manaphy see Updates.

Thundurus @ damprock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- thunder
- hiddenpowerice
- thunderwave
- raindance

Probably the only "unconventional" set I have is this great Thundurus set I got from the next best thing thread. I wanted a way to ensure that rain would be set up 24/7 on the field and make it seem like BW never left and that swift swim and Tornadus-T should be banned for being this powerful. Thundurus can take care of the opposing water types that could otherwise take advantage of the rain going around and simultaneously can stop all other speedsters that could oppose my team not named Sand Rush Excadrill, Choice Scarf Landorus-T, and opposing M-Swamperts. However none of those are really a threat to my team.

Problems with the team: The most glaring issue is I have no hazard removal. So far this has been mitigated by the resistance Swampert and Ferrothorn have to stealth rock and Tornadus-T's regenerator and simply keeping Thundurus and Kingdra off the field most of the time and not pivoting around them. Spikes/Toxic Spikes similarly don't affect two and three members respectively and Politoed can Rest it off.

Second biggest problem is opposing weather or worse opposing rain teams. They're semi rare but they provide a challenge as the advantage I get from creating rain can give my opponent equal power or greater power if say they start their swimmer out against Politoed or Swampert hasn't mega evolved and they have a Kabutops who has the immediate power.

Next is the problem of setup sweepers. The only true options I have against setup sweepers atm are getting a form of status (thunder wave, toxic, scald burn, hurricane confusion), getting an encore off, or having a mon counter their power (outsped by the swift swimmers, having the bulk on Ferro to tank/stall them). I don't have an opposing setup mon or any sort of stat removal (phasing, taunt).

The last problem simply stems from the team concept itself. This problem is apparent in all teams but especially this one because this team heavily relies on the ability of all the pokemon synergizing with each other and keeping rain on the field. If both Politoed and Thundurus hit the floor and I don't have rain trickling from their dying breath I may be SOL. The team relies a decent bit on prediction as well so that what my opponents bring into counter can be properly checked by another mon.

Threats: Ferrothorn/Manaphy/Keldeo/Terrakion/Rotom-W

Ferrothorn is the main threat because he walls both my swift swimmers outside of Swamperts Low Kick which doesn't OHKO. So far getting past him has been slowly wearing him down or getting good reads. If he is physically defensive, Tornadus-T gets past him fairly easily either by spamming Hurricane for the switch or Focus Blast. If he is specially defensive it gets tricky. I can really only hope he doesn't set up spikes and bore him by opposing him with my Ferrothorn (which lets him get a good switch into my Ferro) or get a good prediction with Low Kick from Swampert or Low Kick and sac Swampert for a revenge kill and hope that was the last big wall to take down.

Manaphy is the other big threat as it is nigh on unstoppable under the rain which I provide for it. Getting on encore on it during set up is usually the big move or getting Thundurus/Kingdra to hit it hard with Thunder/Draco Meteor respectively. Ferro can also stall it if it doesn't have Ice Beam.

Keldeo is a threat mainly because Ferro is specially defensive so secret sword is gonna hurt hard and otherwise its water move is going to put hurt on my team. Torn-T is the best answer but will still get hurt badly if it predicts with a water move during rain. Thundurus can also stop him with a Thunder but Keldeo is normally faster so he might have to put on Thunder Wave and hope for a proc otherwise Keldeo can take him out too. Ferro is a last ditch answer as he can take one secret sword usually and many times the opposing player will assume Ferro is defensive and will opt for a switch instead.

Terrakion again threatens the fact Ferro is SpDef so he can get past him with Close Combat and checking him with Torn-T is risky due to his Stone Edge. Swampert is decent at taking a resisted Stone Edge and oustspeeding in rain. Ferro can get predicted kills with either Gyro or Power Whip. Otherwise he's really easy to revenge kill.

Rotom-W is a threat because he can still cripple Ferro even though Ferro hard counters him and threatens the rest of the team if he has good predictions. Swampert obviously can switch into Volt Switch but under rain Hydro Pump can be devastating and again burn will cripple him badly. Also Swampert can't get a clean KO on him. Kingdra would be a good switch if it weren't so frail, it takes a good chunk from either rain boosted Hydro or Volt Switch and even though it isn't crippled by burn it doesn't enjoy the chip damage. Both Thundurus and Kingdra can kill him otherwise if they can freely switch in however.

That's about it hopefully you enjoy the team and please leave me any feedback mainly about how the problems I listed can be solved. I am not very good at stats so if you have more optimal ev's to suggest please do so. If you suggest a mon replacement please consider the importance of synergy to the team so that whatever mon is brought in offers a similar role and provides greater strengths or less weaknesses to the previous mon.

Updates: Thanks to the suggestions by J_Hatfield_007 and fleggumfl, I have followed up on their suggestions of changing Torn-T to a Life Orb set and switching from Kingdra to Manaphy. Since Manaphy is new I will do a little write up on his role.

These are the new sets:

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe> 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Tail Glow
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball> Rest

Manaphy has been more beneficial than Kingdra for several reasons. While it lacks to immediate power and speed as Kingdra, Manaphy more than makes up for it. Manaphy has more power after a turn and more longevity overall. It has better coverage as well with energy ball and it can soak status, plus it is not locked into choice specs. Finally the most important pro it has is that it is useful outside of rain. All of it's moves still hit hard with tail glow outside of rain and it has a better speed tier outside of rain as well.

I experimented with Starmie a little as well but with this team I peaked the highest crossing 1700 elo. Thank you so far for all the helpful suggestions!

2nd Update: I've been climbing nearly to 1800 elo at this point and have changed Thundurus HP Ice to HP Water. HP Water boosted by rain allows Thundurus to 2HKO Excadrill which means it can kill with a predicted switch. HP Water also does more damage to Heatran, Hippowdon, Tyranitar, etc. I figure I already had enough Ice coverage amongst Manaphy and Swamp.
3rd Update: This team has climbed as high as 1900 elo now and has been in the top 50 on the ladder at certain points. Manaphy has been using Rest instead of energy ball and has changed to full HP instead of speed.

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.
Cool team, but some changes I'd recommend are changing Tornadus-T to the Life Orb variant which is much more effective in Rain and also gives you a way to easily dent Ferrothorns and OHKO Keldeos + Terrakions. Plus you can consider replacing Swampert with Mega Heracross in order to completely demolish Rain team checks such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Rotom-W and weaken Pokemon enough to the point where Kingdra can sweep. I'd also recommend an EV spread of 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe on Kingdra as 252 Spe is kinda wasting EVs and you outspeed nothing significant bar other Kingdras, 228 Speed with a Modest nature allows you to outrun everything up to base 110 Pokemon with a Choice Scarf, plus you outspeed base 70 Pokemon such as Bisharp and Breloom if rain is down.
Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

In short:
Life Orb Torn-T > AV Torn-T
Consider Mega Heracross > Mega Swampert
28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe > 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe on Kingdra

Nice team, a friend of mine uses a similar team with rain. I'll address your concerns with your team...
-As you said, Manaphy in rain can bust up your team in rain. However, this is also true for if you were to use it. In rain, Manaphy can Rest to heal fully and recover from sleep at the same time. After tail glow, moves like scald or surf get devastating STAB power. Try Manaphy out and see how you like it.
-As for your hazard problem, a high power Water type Pokemon can clear it out for you- Starmie. With impressively strong moves like Psyshock and Ice Beam, Rapid Spin utility, and generally strong Water moves even without weather, it could work well on your team! Try it out with a Life Orb, all speed and Sp.Att.
-Keldeo's biggest threat that can be used on a rain team is Jellicent w/water absorb, poisoning Keldeo while remaining immune to its STAB moves, with the exception of Hidden Power Ghost/Dark/etc. Even a substitute Keldeo couldn't do much more than attempt to stall out Jellicent.
-As stated by Fleggumfl, mega Heracross could effectively stop any of the above listed threats, so long as it isn't burned.
Overall good team, good luck, and make it rain!
~JVaria

Thank you for each of your replies. I felt that the suggestions for Torn-T and Kingdra were both excellent and applied them immediately.

I am hesitant to change Swampert to Heracross however for a couple of reasons. The main reason being if I lose swampert, I lose out on an answer to electric type attacks which Heracross does not answer at all. If I made that replacement I'd have to deal with electric attacks by having Ferro soak them and hope for the best. The second reason is that Heracross lacks the speed Swampert has and some of the raw power (Heracross is walled by Skarmory and Hippowdon while Swampert is not, albeit other members of the team could take care of them). Otherwise that's a fine suggestion, if you can think of a team member to remove and place in a different Ground type or electric counter I'd love to hear that suggestion.

I am more willing to try the change from Kingdra>Manaphy or Kingdra>Starmie as JVaria suggested. Starmie already has a great speed tier and power with added hazard removal so the trade off would not be that significant from Kingdra other than its wall breaking ability. Manaphy lacks as much speed but has even higher wall breaking power and bulk and answers my setup sweeper problem. I am probably going to try out Manaphy in place of Kingdra first as I feel the wall breaking power and bulk is more important than the speed/hazard removal but we will see.

p2

Banned deucer.
Thank you for each of your replies. I felt that the suggestions for Torn-T and Kingdra were both excellent and applied them immediately.

I am hesitant to change Swampert to Heracross however for a couple of reasons. The main reason being if I lose swampert, I lose out on an answer to electric type attacks which Heracross does not answer at all. If I made that replacement I'd have to deal with electric attacks by having Ferro soak them and hope for the best. The second reason is that Heracross lacks the speed Swampert has and some of the raw power (Heracross is walled by Skarmory and Hippowdon while Swampert is not, albeit other members of the team could take care of them). Otherwise that's a fine suggestion, if you can think of a team member to remove and place in a different Ground type or electric counter I'd love to hear that suggestion.

I am more willing to try the change from Kingdra>Manaphy or Kingdra>Starmie as JVaria suggested. Starmie already has a great speed tier and power with added hazard removal so the trade off would not be that significant from Kingdra other than its wall breaking ability. Manaphy lacks as much speed but has even higher wall breaking power and bulk and answers my setup sweeper problem. I am probably going to try out Manaphy in place of Kingdra first as I feel the wall breaking power and bulk is more important than the speed/hazard removal but we will see.
Heracross is far from walled by Skarmory and Hippowdon, after 1 SD, it completely breaks them, you don't even need an Adamant nature.

252 Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 145-172 (43.4 - 51.4%) -- 66% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 291-343 (87.1 - 102.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 170-210 (40.4 - 50%) -- approx. 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 345-410 (82.1 - 97.6%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Alkov

plopping
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey there really nice rain team you have there however I'll like to suggest a few changes that would help improve the team :]
  • Firstly, I do notice that your team struggles to break opposing Ferrothorn which is something very common in most teams right now. For that, I'll actually recommend try switching out Thundurus for a fighting type that can take advantage of Ferrothorn while benefiting from the rain. An example would be Toxicroak or Keldeo(weak to powerwhip) or Lucario. They are able to come in on Ferrothorn rather easily and take advantage of it's inability to hurt it and set-up/dish out a lot of damage on the opponent's team. However, if you do feel like Thundurus is an important member of the team to provide more rain turns if necessary, you can maybe also look at Mega Scizor with Roost and Swords Dance that can set up on Ferrothorn easily.
    (As a rain team user, I've actually never had problems with too little rain so I felt like Thundurus wasn't that needed)

• Secondly, you might want to try out this spread of EVs for Kingdra, 24EVs into HP, 228Speed, 4SpDef and 252SpA with a Modest nature, the spread allows you to still outspeed Choice Scarf Latios which is probably the fastest relevant Choice Scarf user while the remaining EVs is dumped into giving Kingdra as much bulk as possible.

• Lastly, it would be more nitpicks on the EV of the team, I would recommend having the standard spread for Ferrothorn which is 252HP, 88Def and 168SpDef with a Relaxed nature. The EVs allow Ferrothorn to take 2 hits from Kyurem-B which is all that is needed on your team while the remaining is invested into Def which can make a huge difference. You may also want to have the 96Spd investment in Politoed dumped into defenses as well since you'll want Politoed to be healthy enough most of the time to come in and set up rain so it might be more useful to have that bulk more than the speed since it's not really needed for it to be attacking most of the time.
That's all I have and I hope it helps n_n

If you were to add a Pokemon with Defog or Rapid spin, which Pokemon would you take out?
Probably Manaphy all of the other mons are too important. Maybe Thundurus but if he goes I'd need a birdspam check and I feel I'd be missing out on the surprise rain that has gotten me quite a lot of wins tbh. Btw as a side note update I've climbed to 1780 peak with this team so far. Also look at my Updates in the OP to see any other changes (adding HP Water to Thundurus).

Probably Manaphy all of the other mons are too important. Maybe Thundurus but if he goes I'd need a birdspam check and I feel I'd be missing out on the surprise rain that has gotten me quite a lot of wins tbh. Btw as a side note update I've climbed to 1780 peak with this team so far. Also look at my Updates in the OP to see any other changes (adding HP Water to Thundurus).
Thanks, this had help me a lot hahas. :) Always wanted a rain team however i haven't had any success, but since this it had got me lots of success!

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello. This is a very nice rain team and probably one of the best I have read. I don't have a full rate, but I have some suggestions that may help.

First off, and the first actual move suggestion, is Ferrothorn. I use Ferrothorn so much, and I recommend Spikes > Powerwhip. This is because you will have more hazards up, and you can easily get a stealth rocks + spikes. Is can potentially do more damage in the long run, and I personally don't think Powerwhip is worth it. Also Rocky Helmet > Leftovers all the way. If an opponent gets hit by stealth rocks, spikes, leech seed, AND rocky helmet, that's roughly 40% of their health, which is insane.

Secondly, I would have Ice Beam > Rest on Politoed. I don't see the point of rest on Politoed, you're just there to set up rain and potentially kill someone or screw them over. Ice Beam is a very reliable coverage move that can save you and do damage to things that resist water.

Furthermore, IDK if Encore is the best option to stop set-up sweepers. Whirlwind or Roar are way more reliable, and if you want to replace a Pokemon with one with Roar or Whirlwind you can but not necessary. I recommend Perish Song > Encore. Reason being that, besides shutting down set-up sweepers as well, Perish Song almost guarantees that the enemy will have to switech, so when you have to switch, you can switch into a pivot or a check. Moreover, it also works well with one Pokemon suggestion under this paragraph.

Pokemon Suggestions:

I have some Pokemon that will tie in nicely for a rain team. Please note these are suggestions.

1). Goodra is an amazing Pokemon on a rain team. It has the ability Hydration, (the one that heals every turn with rain active), and the move Infestation is AMAZING when combined with Perish Song from Politoed. You perish song, then switch into Goodra and use infestation. Then they can't switch and will die to perish song.

Goods w/ Assault Vest
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Infestation

2). Even though it is in the RU/UU tier (too lazy to check), Toxicroak is an amazing rain team sweeper. It has access to Dry Skin + Black Sludge recovery, and STAB Drain Punch to add on. I was actually versing a rain team one day with a Toxicroak and I got wrecked by this set:

Toxicroak w/ Black Sludge OR Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

3). Dragonite is a great Pokemon in the rain. Reason being that it is a good Pokemon, has access to Thunder, and a pseudo-STAB Waterfall when in the rain. Here is a basic rain team Dragonite set:

Dragonite w/ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
Nature: Adamant or +Atk -Def/SpD
- Dragon Claw
- Waterfall
- Thunder
- Extreme Speed

Well that's the end of my rate. I was using an iPad so this took me twice as long. If you see random letters under this (some letters I typed disappeared when I pressed return, then never came when I backspaced), I don't see them, so just ignore them. My iPad decided it was the perfect time to poop in my face.

-Fireflame479

i have a small suggestion with changing manaphy's spread to 96 HP/252 SpAtk/160 Spd eith a timid nature which allows you to outspeed neutral base 100s and giving you extra bulk. this set is better imo since you wont want to risk speed ties anyway and the extra hp is always nice since you have no recovery outside lefties. other than that this is a good team and i hope u can keep going with it :)).

also if u could change the sets layout to the showdown format it would help other people reading it

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)