ORAS OU Mega Alakazam Offensive (Need help)

Introduction

Hi guys.

I started playing competitive Pokemon about an year ago and this is my first RMT so if you could help me i would appreciate a lot :)
This team is based on Mega Alakazam, a really underrated but strong mega evolution.

Reasons why i chose Mega Alakazam:
  • It's the fastest Pokemon in the OU metagame only tying with Mega Aerodactyl and being able to outspeed any scarfer with base 80 speed or less.
  • Has high special attack (base 175) and hits really hard with Psychic.
  • Trace is really useful.

The Team

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Evs: 252 Sp.atk / 224 Spd / 32 HP
Ivs: 0 atk
Timid Nature
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Calm Mind

Mega Alakazam is the pokemon i started with. When i built this team i wanted Pokemon that could cover Alakazam's weaknesses. The Pokemon that can switch in Mega Alakazam are Chansey, Sylveon, AV Azumarill, sp def mew and scizor. This is my revenge killer and late game sweeper. I run Psychic over Psyshock because i wanna hit physically defensive Pokemon like Gliscor, Mega Venusaur, Landorus-T and because it has higher base power. Shadow Ball is good against Psychic and ghost types, Focus Blast is for Pokemon like Tyranitar, Excadrill, Heatran, Ferrothorn, etc... and Calm Mind because it is really good in late game.
Trace is really helpful because you can do things like tracing heatran's flash fire and when he lava plumes you, you can set up a CM and then Focus Blast is OHKO or you can trace landorus-T intimidate so that you can live an EQ.

Keldeo @ Life orb
Ability: Justified
Evs: 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spd / 4 def
Timid Nature
-Hydro Pump
-Scald
-Secret Sword
-Icy Wind

I chose Keldeo because it really good synergy with Mega Alakazam as it takes care of dark and steel types and it checks Chansey, a really annoying Pokemon. Keldeo is my Wallbreaker and i chose life orb over choice specs because i hate to be locked in one move. Hydro Pump hits really hard and scald is there for burns and if i don't wanna miss Hydro Pump. Icy wind 2HKOes lati twins on the switch and OHKOes most variants of Garchomp.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Evs: 252 HP / 212 Sp.Def / 44 Spd
Calm Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Lava Plume
-Toxic
-Taunt

I chose Heatran because i needed Rocks and a Talonflame and Scizor check. Heatran is my special wall and stealth rocker and it can deal with Chansey, Clefable and Mega Venusaur with taunt (it has 44 evs in speed to outspeed Mega Venusaur) and it can cripple things with toxic.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Evs: 252 Atk / 232 Spd / 24 Def
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-U-turn
-Knock off

This is a standart Choice Scarf Landorus-T set. It's my Physical Sweeper wallbreaker, puts a lot of pressure on the opponents, can gain offensive momentum with U-turn and can hit really hard with Earthquake.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Evs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Sp.Def
Impish Nature
-Defog
-Roost
-Brave Bird
-Toxic

Skarmory is my Mega-Metagross, Mega Lopunny, Conkeldurr and Landorus-T counter. It is my Physical Wall and Defogger. I run 56 evs on Sp.def just because i don't want it too weak on the special side and i run Rocky Helmet to punish U-turns. Roost is for longetivity, Toxic is to cripple things and Brave Bird hits hard things like Conkeldurr, Keldeo, Mega Lopunny and Mega Venusaur.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Evs: 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Ivs: 29 atk (to reduce life orb damage)
Timid Nature
-Leaf Storm
-Dragon Pulse
-Hidden Power (fire)
-Glare

And finally, i chose Serperior because i realized i was too weak against Rotom-W and Hippowdon and Serperior can counter them. Serperior is my Special Sweeper and can OHKO Ferrothorn and Scizor with HP Fire and Latios with Dragon Pulse at +2 and can deal with Mega Sableye and Clefable. Glare is used to cripple Tornadus-T, Talonflame and Heatran on the switch. I chose HP Fire over HP ground because i already had Mega Alakazam, Landorus-T and Keldeo to deal with Heatran and my only answer to Scizor and Ferrothorn was my own Heatran.

Threat list:
Mega Charizard Y- I have few switchins to this. Try to switch into Heatran to absorb the Fire Blast and then double into Landorus-T (predicting Focus Blast) and fire off a Stone Edge.
Keldeo- It's easy to kill with Serperior or Mega Alakazam but my only switchin to an Hydro Pump is my own Keldeo.
Zapdos- It's pretty annoying to deal with. Try to set up rocks and play with Mega Alakazam and Landorus-T using Psychic and Stone Edge (that 2HKO Zapdos), but watch out for the HP Ice
Mega Gardevoir- Try to get some damage so that Mega Alakazam can KO it with Shadow ball
Tornadus-T- Heatran can check it but if the Tornadus-T is assault vest Psychic from Mega Alakazam won't 2HKO him so the only way is by using stone edges.
I am sure that there are more threats but i just can't find them so i really appreciate your help.

PS: Sorry for my bad English :)

Importable:

SpoonPowa (Alakazam) @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind

Dildo-Resolute (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

OrangeJuice (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

SuperSkarm (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic

HeatedMo (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Toxic

Sasuke (Serperior) @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Hi there! Minor detail, but most RMTs put the importable in a hide tag to look neater.

Mega Alakazam should run max Speed incase you face an opposing Mega Aero or Alakzam.

Last edited:
Just a few minor suggestions...
-Have you tried Air Balloon Heatran? It's good for covering its 4x Ground weakness, and protects him from choice Landorus locked into Earthquake, or a similar scenario. Keep in mind though that you lose it after one hit.
-Hidden Power is a good coverage move for Keldeo, as his STAB attacks can be resisted or avoided by some Pokemon. Ghost/Dark is a popular choice.
-Since Defog clears all hazards including yours, you may want to switch for a Rapid Spinning Pokemon like Excadrill or Starmie.
Hope it helps, great team!
~JVaria

Hello and welcome to the RMT Section of Smogon! This is a nice RMT and a pretty good team; it makes some good use of Alakazam and Serperior, which I'm seeing a lot of lately. Anyway, this looks like a very exciting team, so without further ado, let's get to it!

For your Alakazam, I don't quite understand the logic behind the 32 HP EVs. You should instead maximize your speed investment, since you don't want to lose any potential speed ties. (The bulk that those few EVs offers doesn't really do much anyway.) I would also suggest replacing Calm Mind with something like Substitute, since you can get a free Sub on switchouts and proceed to wreak havoc on your opponent's team. Since Alakazam is incredibly frail, Calm Mind might make you take unnecessary damage if you mispredict a switchout, and most opponents won't give you too many opportunities to set up anyway.

I'm a bit concerned about your Keldeo since not getting an OHKO can really harm it, especially with the additional LO recoil damage. The set you're using is great and all, but consider trying out the Sub-CM Keldeo set on your team for a little bit. Although you lose some extra damage as well as the Icy Wind coverage, your team handles the Latis pretty well anyway and you gain a decent setup sweeper under your belt. (I don't mean to completely trash the above rate, but don't put HP Ghost/Dark on Keldeo; there's very little utility, if any, in that.)
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/keldeo-resolute.gif
Keldeo-Resolute @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Your Heatran and Landorus sets look pretty good, so I don't have much to say about them. Although Air Balloon might seem like a good choice for Heatran, your Skarmory and Landorus (and Serperior to an extent) already take care of any incoming Ground attacks, so just keep Leftovers as it is now. As for your Landorus, just completely max out Speed; again, there's no point in missing out on potential speed ties and the extra EVs in Defense can't really do much for you.

On your Skarmory, I would take those EVs in SpD and completely invest them into Defense. Almost every non-resisted special attack will deal a significant amount of damage (2HKO) to your physically defensive Skarmory regardless of those extra SpD EVs, so you might as well fully invest into Physical Defense and switch out when necessary against an incoming special attack.

Your Serperior set also looks pretty standard, so it should be fine. One thing I'd like to point out is that LO recoil really decreases the longevity of Serperior especially since you don't have Giga Drain in your moveset. This one is really up to you, but I would run a Meadow Plate over Life Orb, so you still get a decently boosted STAB leaf storm while not taking any recoil damage.

PS. Just some minor tweaks that may/may not help you in the future: Whenever you have special attackers that aren't running any physical moves, set their IVs to 0 so that in the case that they get confused, the amount of damage they do to themselves is minimized. In addition, you should try to keep your team members' HP at an odd number so that you can last longer when taking recoil, status, hazard, and weather damage.
Otherwise, your team looks great and it looks like you've performed quite well in competitive gameplay (nice 1458 Elo lol), and I wish you luck in your future battles!

Hi n_n,Nice RMT :) ,I totally agree with oml it's too ez and iMack u can also try specs keldeo over life orb :3.

Your 4 top threats in the threat list are countered by Goodra so if u can make room for Goodra it will be awesome :3,maybe iMack and oml it's too ez also agree with this change.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor / Dragon pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb / Thunderbolt
- Earthquake / Muddy Water

P.S. Good luck,Have Fun :).

Last edited:
I know this may seem kind of Stupid, but running Psyshock over Psychic on Alakazam is a great idea as the only other mon that can hit defensve mons is Lando-T. Also Deals with Chancey better than a shaky Focus Blast (252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 184-218 (28.6 - 33.9%) -- 0.9% chance to 3HKO) (252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 238-282 (37 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO) It also 2HKO's Assualt Vest Tornadus-T, which would otherwise wall your Alakazam, and kills it before it can Kill you with Hurricane and Knock of, and deals damage before it U-Turns, and with Rocks up, has a 18.8% Chance of not surviving when it switches back in. (252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Psyshock vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 217-256 (65.3 - 77.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock)

(Edit: Tornadus has Regenerator, so it would live the rocks, but if it switches in on rocks, psyshock has a 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rocks Damage)

Last edited:

Perennial

amol selseila
have you considered changing Skarmory to a Spiker? in my opinion Defog is unnecessary here. you lack a pokémon weak to Stealth Rock and while you do have several pokémon vulnerable to Spikes, most of them can threaten the common pokémon who lay them down, like Ferrothorn. hazard control isn't mandatory in cases like this and by incorporating Spikes on Skarmory you make your powerhouses, Alakazam and Keldeo, all the more threatening because they love the extra damage Spikes takes off many of their typical switch ins.
Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Iron Head
- Whirlwind

special defensive Skarmory is superb at laying down hazards and taking hits from both sides. with Iron Head and the emphasized special defensive bulk, you gain a great check to Mega Gardevoir, who you said is a problem. you can now even switch in on AV Tornadus-T decently.
another suggestion I have is to consider using a Choice Scarf Tyranitar over Landorus-T, who I think fits on this team well, especially if you decide to use Spikes Skarmory. on top of killing Starmie and the Lati twins and preventing them from removing your hazards, Scarf Tar helps you with Charizard-Y, a huge issue for the team. additionally, Scarf Tar helps with some of the other issues you mentioned, like Zapdos and even mega Gardevoir, who you can threaten to outrun and kill with Stone Edge or Pursuit for big damage if you predict a switch.
Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Pursuit
on Keldeo, I dislike Life Orb here. when Keldeo is your main answer to threats like SD Bisharp, you don't want her taking recoil because she will get worn down very quickly. you can consider modifying your Keldeo to a simple SubCM variant with Leftovers. SubCM Keldeo is a great win condition, has added longevity because of Leftovers and pairs excellently with Scarf Tyranitar, who Pursuits many of her answers.

by removing Landorus-T and physical defensive Skarmory, you become more prone to threats like mega Lopunny and fighters in general. additionally, your team, as you say, lacks a good switch in to Keldeo. to address these issues, using Tangrowth over Serperior can help. her physical bulk lets her take hits from the likes of Lopunny rather well and with AV, she can function as a Keldeo switch in too. missing out on Serperior's better offensive power and speed is unfortunate, but Tangrowth has some interesting perks that your team benefits from. also, with Knock Off she can lure in Tornadus-T and take away her AV, helping your Alakazam and Keldeo break past the genie more easily.
Tangrowth (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Power Whip

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)