ORAS OU Pinklord's Infernape Stall - 1700

Hello everyone, today i'd love to share a team of mine that i have successfully used twice to 1700:

Proof:

(PinkLord was 1718 but that was a while ago and i didnt screencap that :(

Let me start by introducing the members that make up the team and write a bit about why i chose them and a little bit of the team-building process. Or if you don't want to read you can skip to the sets below

As far as i understand (only been playing since march) When ORAS came out there was much hype about this guy and he rose to the S rank with the CM set which was very potent, then people worked out how to deal with Sableye and he dropped. However i still think his utility set is pretty godly even if it is mostly very predictable so this is where i started.

Next i added the two classic staples of every dirty stall team, Chansey and Skarmory. One is a special wall without peer and the other a very strong defensive wall and between them they can wall about half the meta just by themselves as well as providing valuable team support with utility moves

While i already had a special/phsyical and mixed wall there are many mons that can give those three trouble due to super effective coverage moves or the ability to set up to set up to dangerous levels. Therefore at this point i decided to include Clefable who has great mono typing and with its ability turns many set up mons (who require the boosts to do damage) into manageable threats.

What stall team is complete without a bulky water? I chose slowbro because of solid typing and fantastic ability in regenerator which allows me to pivot in and out of attacks with ease and continue to check the threats it needs to such as keldeo and talonflame who could otherwise cause trouble for other members depending on the sets.

Finally my last team-slot went to Infernape. He is really key to success as he straight up counters two of the main pokemon i was having trouble with - Bisharp and Weavile. Taking no damage from knock offs and with a decent even mostly uninvested speed tier he can provide a real nuisance to other stall teams and performs an important stop to various offensive mons.

This team has three main win conditions:

Primary: Chip damage, residual and hazards.
Secondary: CM slowbro and CM clefable

Personally i believe that a decent stall team should have several ways to win a match or backup win conditions if the primary one is not possible to obtain. Stall is not just walling things to death until they eventually die after 100 turns due to miniscule chip damage (although i do get quite a few wins like that). If you cannot put some kind of pressure on the opposing team then you will have a much tougher time to win. Im not talking about the kind of pressure that HO or balance teams display but more of a discrete pressure.

Example: You have rocks and spikes on their side of the field and they know that they can only switch their Keldeo in another 2 times before it will faint from the hazards but they cant switch in their defogger currently because its been para'd and would allow me a free switch into something i want. So do they switch in their Keldeo to try and apply pressure upon me or do they risk their defogger coming out? Thats the kind of pressure stall can force on people and it is surprisingly effective.

Anyway onto the 'Mons and their sets:

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Foul Play
There are a few pokemon that can perform so many roles as a Sableye can. With magic bounce it can help keep hazards clear from my side. It can tank a huge number of attacks, it has 3 immunities, can spread hazards, knock items off and perform an emergency check role to a few physical sweepers with its Foul Play. Personally i play quite aggressively with my Sableye as i consider it a good trade to take a dangerous item off a dangerous threat even if it reduces Sableye low. Example: Taking 60% or so from a Kyu-B Ice beam but taking off its Life Orb to me is a great trade as now Slowbro can wall it with ease. EVs + Nature are there to make it a mixed wall, able to take a decent amount of hits on both sides of the spectrum.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
Probably the most well known pink blob, Chansey is a premier special wall. With eviolite equipped and 252 investment in SpD it reaches over 450 which combined with its monster HP stat means there are very few special attacks that can trouble it. Although it has a special wall it is given full def investment and def nature as otherwise it just falls over and dies to any limp noodle melee attack. Chansey performs the clerical role with heal bell and utility role in providing stealth rocks. It often has many chances to switch in and set up the rocks and it forces out so many mons that rely on special attacks. However it does rely on its Eviolite to actually wall some of the things its supposed to so its vital to be protected.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind/Brave Bird/Iron Head
- Roost
- Defog
Pretty much as a polar opposite of Chansey we have Skarmory. While its HP is relatively low for a wall its plethora of useful resistances and sky-high invested physical defense means anything non boosted and non super effective physical hit is going to do minimal damage. 28 investment in speed allows Skarmory to speed creep other Skarmories who speed creep things that speed creep neutral based 70 speed things (if you follow me). While this moveset is taunt-bait, in tandem with Chansey i have two very powerful walls who can clear hazards and set hazards as well as keep themselves healthy relatively easily. WW has been chosen over Iron head or Brave Bird to perform an emergency check role which when combined with Sturdy means it can survive a special hit and get it out of the field. All 3 are fairly viable and i've used all three in the past.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
Pink blob #2, Clefable performs several critical roles for this team. With its unaware ability it pretty much completely stops set-up mons who rely on boosts to blast through a team. Unfortunately unaware is incompatible with softboiled so i've gone with the wish protect combination which can on occasion be pretty handy as its decent HP stat means it can pass decent wishes off to other members of the team. Im using clefable to perform a backup win-condition, Unaware combined with calm mind means that clefable can perform a sort of sweeper role similar to its MG counterpart albeit shut down by status. Its one of the few counters to RD manaphy on stall (discounting hax) and while it cannot switch into some special attackers and tank a few hits, after a few boosts it can do serious damage. With the CM flavour of the set it has maximum Defense investment as anything hitting hard with special attacks Chansey can deal with anyway.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
Man i love my pink blobs. Slowbro is probably my favourite pokemon ever since the good old RBY days. This guy is another back-up win condition and gets a surprising number of opportunities to set up. With thunder-wave it allows him to outpace Weavil and anything else below after paralysis. Scald is probably tied with knock off for the best attack in the game currently and the burn damage really takes its toll on opposing teams as the game progresses. Slowbro is another mon i can play aggressively with as with Regenerator you gain a cool 1/3 of your HP back on the switch which is a god-send as it allows it to repeatedly stay healthy and check things over a match. EVs are to maximise its already high HP and defense while maintaining a small amount of SPD to avoid 2hkos from specs keldeo Hydro.

Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
- Close Combat/Fire Punch
Finally we arrive to the king himself, without whom this team struggles so hard against several common threats. Defensive Infernape straight up counters all weavils/bisharps/m-scizors to the point where they are almost dead-weight for the opposing team. Thats not all he can deal with as with his base speed + small investment he can outspeed all max speed base 70s so you can get a crucial taunt/willo off if necessarily. While his base stats are better for offensive use with HP + defensive investment he is surprisingly bulky on the physical side. Taunt, will-o + slack off are for stall breaking and remaining healthy, Close combat is to hit hard even without investment. CC is not the only option, fire punch is pretty good too but most people switch out to their fire counter rather than their fighting counter for some reason and its pretty awesome to will-o a azu or gator on the switch.

So thats basically the team. The synergy between Infernape and other members of the team is quite decent and honest to god its such an underrated mon which i think a fair few people are sleeping on or dont quite fully grasp how useful it can be.

Threatlist:
Im not going to list every single wallbreaker or stallbreaker under the sun just specific threats i feel this team struggles with (funnily enough most are flying types)

Stallbreaker Togekiss can 6-0 me if it manages to flinch chansey to death after NP boosts. Unfortunately Nape exacerbates this problem and since i dont have toxic on my team its hard to wear it down.
Physical defiant thundurus is fortunately quite rare but it maybe because of that it can be troublesome to deal with as none of my physical walls like facing this thing
M-Pinsir is a very serious danger as it can sweep the team with +2 and Clef cant handle it unboosted. Only thing i can do is switch 100% hp Bro on the SD and then take 90% or so and TW it in return and hope to hax it to death.
Diggersby depending on its set. If it doesnt have knock off then Slowbro can deal with it. If it doesnt have fire punch then skarmory can deal with it but neither of them like the SW and it hits too hard for Clefable to tank especally if LO. Infernape can outspeed the non-jolly versions and hit it with a will-o as an emergency but even when burnt EQ will still hit it for 60%.
Just fuck this pokemon, if i see an opposing stall with this its just a waste of my time playing the match. Luckily its not all that common but its still almost a free loss whatever team its on.

Replays:
Please note these are not to showcase my skill (which i consider middling at best). I make many mistakes in these games but hopefully they can display how the team works

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-245981866 - Vs Heavy Offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-245989839 - Vs Sceptile balance (Sorry for being disgusting)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-245977523 - Vs stall so long and boring but showcases Nape a bit with his fast taunt even if i make a few mistakes
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-245140139 - Vs Zard-Y + Sub-salac Ches
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-244817524 - Vs CM/RD manaphy balance
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-244496258 - Vs M-Garde/Diggersby, i played pretty bad on reflection but this was the game where i learnt how to cope a bit with diggersby lol
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-243587224 - Vs M-Scizor balance - misclicked taunt on Nape but won anyway i guess
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-243578170 - Vs Hera Heavy Offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-244198511 - Vs Mega Metagross balance (sorry those leaf storm misses didnt matter btw)

Importable:
Infernape @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
- Close Combat

Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Foul Play

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Scald

Thanks for reading everyone, I feel like this team is a good showcase of how stall can be played in the current metagame. Shoutouts to Bluwing and Henry my two tutors, thanks for your patience and allowing me to talk to you on skype over the past couple of months you've been more helpful than you could ever know :D

Last edited:
Hey dude, cool stall team you got there, I certainly would hate playing against it but I guess that's how you know it's good. Anyway I have almost no experience with playing stall so I don't want to give you any wrong advice, but I would like to point out some threats you should keep in mind that weren't listed on the threat list:

Mega Gardevoir causes huge problems for your team, and unlike other special attackers it can beat Chansey with a taunt or calm mind set. (no offense but the person in the replay played their Mega Garde very poorly)
+1 252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 310-366 (48.2 - 57%) -- 91% chance to 2HKO

To remedy this I would say definitely run iron head on your skarm and maybe even change it to a more Specially Defensive spread, but even that really isn't the best check to it. Maybe you could replace something with Jirachi but idk what you would take out.

Your team also doesn't have a solid answer to Hammer Arm/Grass Knot Mega Metagross. While this set is becoming less popular and Meta isn't as much of an issue for you as Gardevoir, it can still be a nuisance to your team. Hammer Arm beats Skarm since it will eventually be slower than you which means you will roost before he Hammer Arms, and Grass Knot can 2HKO Slowbro on the switch. To fix this you could either give Skarm Rocky Helmet or you could make Mega Sableye Max Def.

Overall very well made team especially with the diversity of threats that the meta is saturated with. I hope I never see you on the ladder, Cheers :)

Skalaylee

I dont even realize everyone in my sig is being sarcastic
You may want to switch Protect for Flame Thrower for those steel types that may come in. A good Flamethrower comes in handy on celfable now-a-days.

hey man nice team u got here. Its a stall team so theres not much i can see wrong with it. I find it quite weird how mega sab is a mixed wall and i would suggest changing it to just fully bulky. U dont need it to be mixed cause u got PLENTY of support from ur other mons lol. I think u should be max defense so u can do wat sab does which is stay alive a prevent the hazards. This way u can take hits from drill/bisharp/breloom etc better. Also u might wanna run counter as an option on skarm as well. good job on the team btw!
Yeah thanks i might try that im not sure why i do run Sableye as mixed, maybe i will give full defense a try :).

Hey dude, cool stall team you got there, I certainly would hate playing against it but I guess that's how you know it's good. Anyway I have almost no experience with playing stall so I don't want to give you any wrong advice, but I would like to point out some threats you should keep in mind that weren't listed on the threat list:

Mega Gardevoir causes huge problems for your team, and unlike other special attackers it can beat Chansey with a taunt or calm mind set. (no offense but the person in the replay played their Mega Garde very poorly)
+1 252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 310-366 (48.2 - 57%) -- 91% chance to 2HKO

To remedy this I would say definitely run iron head on your skarm and maybe even change it to a more Specially Defensive spread, but even that really isn't the best check to it. Maybe you could replace something with Jirachi but idk what you would take out.

Your team also doesn't have a solid answer to Hammer Arm/Grass Knot Mega Metagross. While this set is becoming less popular and Meta isn't as much of an issue for you as Gardevoir, it can still be a nuisance to your team. Hammer Arm beats Skarm since it will eventually be slower than you which means you will roost before he Hammer Arms, and Grass Knot can 2HKO Slowbro on the switch. To fix this you could either give Skarm Rocky Helmet or you could make Mega Sableye Max Def.

Overall very well made team especially with the diversity of threats that the meta is saturated with. I hope I never see you on the ladder, Cheers :)
Garde can be troublesome no doubt about it. Generally i've usually been able to beat it via chip damage and seismic toss on chansey in the past as its pretty frail. Jirachi is a fantastic counter to M-Garde but unfortunately im not sure what I could replace it with to deal with this threat. SpD Skarm unfortunately also falls flat vs a CM M-Garde unless it has prior damage on it but likewise if you arent fully healthy you run the chance of being ohko after a boost.

+1 232+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 229-270 (68.5 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Skarmory Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 198-234 (71.4 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

To be honest i dont really see many Hammer Arm/GK MMeta but maybe i should put a fraction more spd on slowbro to cover it:

0 SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 186-220 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

You may want to switch Protect for Flame Thrower for those steel types that may come in. A good Flamethrower comes in handy on celfable now-a-days.
Yeah i've contemplated going moonlight + flamethrower combination to catch people off guard but the reduced PP and lack of healing under rain (manaphy would destroy me now) means it would be very difficult sometimes

Thanks for the advice :)

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Hey there Shruggy, kudos on making a cool team and using it to great success! I believe that the Pokemon you are currently running work very well together, so I won't suggest you substitute one of your team's members. However, I'm going to suggest some changes to your current movesets and EV spreads, as I think there is room for optimalization. Let's start with the first 'mon, Sableye. Mega Sableye is crucial in order for your team to beat opposing bulky teams, espeically those that rely on Hazard Stack + Rapid Spin, thanks to Magic Bounce. However, against Pokemon like Mega Altiara, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Diancie, and Clefable, Sableye is forced out and the opponent is free to get up hazards later in the game. This way Skarmory gets heavily pressured, becuase you need to get the hazards away as fast as possible, while your opponent will do everything he can to prevent that from happening. A way to remedy this matchup issue is to run Protect > Foul Play on Sableye. This way, you will be able to Mega Evolve every game, making it much harder for your opponent to play aggressively. You still beat most of the physical sweepers, too, becuase of Will-O-Wisp, so the removal of Foul Play shouldn't create significant differences when it comes to what Sableye is capable of beating (you shouldn't play this set as aggresively though). I would also comsider altering the EV spread to 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD with a Impish Nature, which gives Sableye as much Defense as possible, while still avoiding the 2HKO from Gengar's Shadow Ball.

Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Knock Off

Your Chansey set is the standard one; which is also what works best. On this team, though, I think running Thunder Wave > Stealth Rock might be for the better. Becuase Mega Gardevoir and Kyurem-B are such huge threats, having a way to neuter them is something the team would heavily appreciate. This way Chansey has a higher chance to beat them, and the other team members are capable of revenge-killing them. Thunder Wave is also great versus stuff like Manaphy, allowing Clefable to set up much more easily. However, you do need a Stealth Rock user on your team. Your two options are Stealth Rock > Spikes on Skamory, and Stealth Rock > Taunt on Infernape. My preference here is running Stealth Rock on Inernape, but I'll get back to this.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

As I just mentioned, you would need a Stealth Rock user if you decide to use Thunder Wave on Chansey. While you said that Taunt was crucial on Infernape in certain situations, the ability to spikestack versus bulkier teams adds a ridiculous amount of pressure on the opponent. Therefore, I suggest you try to run Stealth Rock > Taunt on Infernape, and see whether you like it or not. Regarding the EV spread and moveset everything looks fine, but I urge you to run Low Kick > Close Combat. You still OHKO Bisharp and Weavile, and do a ton to Heatran, but you avoid the nasty drops in your defenses. You can also try running more Speed on it, for example enough to outrun Garchomp, but this is just a personal preference.

Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Speed or 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 Spe
Impish or Jolly Nature
- Low Kick
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

The last Pokemon I want to make a comment on is Skamory, as the other sets look perfectly fine. This is just a minor nitpick, but I think Rocky Helmet + Counter is better than Leftovers + Iron Head / Brave Bird / Whirlwind. With Rocky Helmet you constantly deal chip damage to Diggersby, Mega Pinsir, Mega Metagross, and other physical attackers. This reduces the amount of damage they can do to the team by a lot, even so much that you could remove some of them from your threatlist. Counter allows you to kill off physical attackers such as Bisharp and Mega Pinsir, which is particularily nice if they have set up. You can also revengekill Pokemon like Mega Charizard X if Sturdy is intact, which is nice in a pinch.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Counter
- Roost
- Defog

That is all I have, I really like your team, so good luck with it in the future! :D

Hey there Shruggy, kudos on making a cool team and using it to great success! I believe that the Pokemon you are currently running work very well together, so I won't suggest you substitute one of your team's members. However, I'm going to suggest some changes to your current movesets and EV spreads, as I think there is room for optimalization. Let's start with the first 'mon, Sableye. Mega Sableye is crucial in order for your team to beat opposing bulky teams, espeically those that rely on Hazard Stack + Rapid Spin, thanks to Magic Bounce. However, against Pokemon like Mega Altiara, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Diancie, and Clefable, Sableye is forced out and the opponent is free to get up hazards later in the game. This way Skarmory gets heavily pressured, becuase you need to get the hazards away as fast as possible, while your opponent will do everything he can to prevent that from happening. A way to remedy this matchup issue is to run Protect > Foul Play on Sableye. This way, you will be able to Mega Evolve every game, making it much harder for your opponent to play aggressively. You still beat most of the physical sweepers, too, becuase of Will-O-Wisp, so the removal of Foul Play shouldn't create significant differences when it comes to what Sableye is capable of beating (you shouldn't play this set as aggresively though). I would also comsider altering the EV spread to 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD with a Impish Nature, which gives Sableye as much Defense as possible, while still avoiding the 2HKO from Gengar's Shadow Ball.

Sableye @ Sablenite
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Knock Off

Your Chansey set is the standard one; which is also what works best. On this team, though, I think running Thunder Wave > Stealth Rock might be for the better. Becuase Mega Gardevoir and Kyurem-B are such huge threats, having a way to neuter them is something the team would heavily appreciate. This way Chansey has a higher chance to beat them, and the other team members are capable of revenge-killing them. Thunder Wave is also great versus stuff like Manaphy, allowing Clefable to set up much more easily. However, you do need a Stealth Rock user on your team. Your two options are Stealth Rock > Spikes on Skamory, and Stealth Rock > Taunt on Infernape. My preference here is running Stealth Rock on Inernape, but I'll get back to this.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

As I just mentioned, you would need a Stealth Rock user if you decide to use Thunder Wave on Chansey. While you said that Taunt was crucial on Infernape in certain situations, the ability to spikestack versus bulkier teams adds a ridiculous amount of pressure on the opponent. Therefore, I suggest you try to run Stealth Rock > Taunt on Infernape, and see whether you like it or not. Regarding the EV spread and moveset everything looks fine, but I urge you to run Low Kick > Close Combat. You still OHKO Bisharp and Weavile, and do a ton to Heatran, but you avoid the nasty drops in your defenses. You can also try running more Speed on it, for example enough to outrun Garchomp, but this is just a personal preference.

Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Speed or 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 Spe
Impish or Jolly Nature
- Low Kick
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

The last Pokemon I want to make a comment on is Skamory, as the other sets look perfectly fine. This is just a minor nitpick, but I think Rocky Helmet + Counter is better than Leftovers + Iron Head / Brave Bird / Whirlwind. With Rocky Helmet you constantly deal chip damage to Diggersby, Mega Pinsir, Mega Metagross, and other physical attackers. This reduces the amount of damage they can do to the team by a lot, even so much that you could remove some of them from your threatlist. Counter allows you to kill off physical attackers such as Bisharp and Mega Pinsir, which is particularily nice if they have set up. You can also revengekill Pokemon like Mega Charizard X if Sturdy is intact, which is nice in a pinch.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Counter
- Roost
- Defog

That is all I have, I really like your team, so good luck with it in the future! :D
Thanks a lot for your indepth review :). I will implement your suggestions when I'm home from work.

Just one quick question if I may, what is the reasoning for protect over fake out for sableye? Aside from not working on normal types and protect having extra priority.

Thanks again friend :)

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Thanks a lot for your indepth review :). I will implement your suggestions when I'm home from work.

Just one quick question if I may, what is the reasoning for protect over fake out for sableye? Aside from not working on normal types and protect having extra priority.

Thanks again friend :)
I prefer Protect over Fake Out due to the fact that you can use Protect to:
  • Scout against Choice-locked Pokemon such as Keldeo
  • Surprise Mega Lopunny and make it lose 50% of its health
  • Rack up damage from Will-O-Wisp
  • Make it harder for the opponent to pull off couble switches (will you Protect or switch?)
The damage Fake Out offers is pretty minimal anyways, but it can be used too, for sure.

I prefer Protect over Fake Out due to the fact that you can use Protect to:
  • Scout against Choice-locked Pokemon such as Keldeo
  • Surprise Mega Lopunny and make it lose 50% of its health
  • Rack up damage from Will-O-Wisp
  • Make it harder for the opponent to pull off couble switches (will you Protect or switch?)
The damage Fake Out offers is pretty minimal anyways, but it can be used too, for sure.
Would just like to say again thanks TheEnder for your advice and i've done quite a few matches now with some of the changes so i'll post what i think about them now:

Skarmory - Rocky helmet + Counter is pretty amazing, it really helps get residual damage on a lot of mons
Chansey - Running double TW seemed a bit wierd at first but its definetly helped me a ton
Infernape - SR and low kick, I kinda dont really like the low kick if you dont mind me saying since although like CC it secures a kill on bisharp/ttar there has literally never been a game where a bisharp/ttar has remained in once i switch infernape in anyway so thats a bit redundant. I guess the main reason for using it is to avoid the stat drops but the extra damage really helps against a lot of targets that are common switch-ins to infernape such as rotom-w

e.g.
0 Atk Infernape Low Kick (20 BP) vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 16-21 (5.2 - 6.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 94-112 (31 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

an extra 30% damage on a mon without reliable recovery is pretty clutch at times. But low kick is still viable i just prefer CC, i guess its also team dependent.

Sableye - Protect/fake out. I've tried a handful of games on both and although protect is pretty useful for stalling out turns thats pretty much all its used for which is just too passive for me. Sometimes the fake out damage is all i need to secure kills on mons that dont expect it. But honestly both are very good options especially the scouting out of movesets on banded pokemon thats the only thing i miss when having fake out as thats pretty clutch too at times.

Anyway i'll post my new importable with the changes i've made:

Infernape @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
- Close Combat

Sableye @ Sablenite
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fake Out
- Knock Off

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Counter
- Roost
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Scald

And some more replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-247441405 - vs dual weather offense (seriously how 9 fire blasts?)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-247429624 - vs m-lop offense (fake out secures kill on lop)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-246631716 - vs m-garde offense - only time i missed having taunt on nape to stop the BD on chesnaught
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-247250875 - vs m-lop/tyrantum ho
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-247221767 - vs char-y balance (long)

Thanks for reading :)

Sub cm keldeo is a Huge threat it sets up all over slowbro. When testing this Team Clef got weakened cause I needed it to Check belly Azu After that keldeo just Run Train so maybe its worth Running Psyshock on Slowbro

Sub cm keldeo is a Huge threat it sets up all over slowbro. When testing this Team Clef got weakened cause I needed it to Check belly Azu After that keldeo just Run Train so maybe its worth Running Psyshock on Slowbro
Generally speaking they can be handled seperately. I havent yet seen both on the same team (seen specs keld + BD azu but that is much easier) so im just putting theory out at the moment but what i would do is rely on skarm to counter Azu and try and keep clef healthy for sub-CM keldeo. With CM even without lefties baring unfortunate hax clef can still beat down subCM keld providing its at full hp.

Psyshock on slowbro is an option over Twave certainly but then i have nothing to stop char-x as it will power through clef without any boosts fairly easily.

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey I tested that team quiet a bit and I liked Infernape really much on stall. It completely shuts down Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skamory and other stally walls with ease. Taunt is extremely useful in many situations. I want to share with you my experiences.
Choice Specs

I faced a lot of problems with Specs Keldeo though, Slowbro has trouble switching into Hydro Pumps too. So I have to play around it i guess...but i feel like almost EVERYONE uses Specs Keldeo on the OU ladder right now, which made me stop using this team. Most of the times, I switch into Slowbro on Keldeos attack, and if i do that too often, they double into their Dark-Type and they Pursuit me, so I can't take two Hydro Pumps. It is also very risky for me to switch in my Chansey because of Secred Sword. Another stall team in this forum called "Disgusting Stall" uses a Water Absorb Pokemon which doesn't take much from Secret Sword.
I played around that by Knocking off its Item somehow, so i can switch on it easier, then I have to status it so it has limited switchins. A great pain to play against.

Hoopa

Somewhat a no-Brainer. Yes, this thing destroys defensive teams. But one could run enough speed on Infernape to outspeed and kill it with Close Combat. If they run a Life Orb set then it is very hard to play around.

My Conclusion:

Infernape is really fun to use and surprises many opponents with its wide movepool, but Specs Keldeo gave me the most pain :D

Hey I tested that team quiet a bit and I liked Infernape really much on stall. It completely shuts down Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skamory and other stally walls with ease. Taunt is extremely useful in many situations. I want to share with you my experiences.
Choice Specs

I faced a lot of problems with Specs Keldeo though, Slowbro has trouble switching into Hydro Pumps too. So I have to play around it i guess...but i feel like almost EVERYONE uses Specs Keldeo on the OU ladder right now, which made me stop using this team. Most of the times, I switch into Slowbro on Keldeos attack, and if i do that too often, they double into their Dark-Type and they Pursuit me, so I can't take two Hydro Pumps. It is also very risky for me to switch in my Chansey because of Secred Sword. Another stall team in this forum called "Disgusting Stall" uses a Water Absorb Pokemon which doesn't take much from Secret Sword.
I played around that by Knocking off its Item somehow, so i can switch on it easier, then I have to status it so it has limited switchins. A great pain to play against.

Hoopa

Somewhat a no-Brainer. Yes, this thing destroys defensive teams. But one could run enough speed on Infernape to outspeed and kill it with Close Combat. If they run a Life Orb set then it is very hard to play around.

My Conclusion:

Infernape is really fun to use and surprises many opponents with its wide movepool, but Specs Keldeo gave me the most pain :D
Thanks for the rate, yeah back when i laddered with this hoopa wasnt around so it wasnt a problem, running speed on infernape for it makes a lot of sense.

Specs Keldeo is kinda hard very true, it sounds silly to say but unfortunately you just have to play better than them lol. Generally i switch slowbro into keldeo to see what the attack is. If its hydro i just pivot back out again and into something else like chansey, this keeps me reasonably healthy but over a long game it can wear you down which is one of the major attractions to keldeo, wearing down its counters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)