When i started playin..

hellpowna

beware of coco
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
when i started playin pokemon, i never realized that this game could be really really funny. I i never realized it could exist a competitive forum, i never realized that this "stupid" pokemon could be an important part of my life.
Coz im pretty sure, y'all guys here feel this game like "more than a game"
Hey hellpowna what are u talkin about???
Well, i mean..im gonna try to explain better(sorry for my english)
What is pokemon for you?
For me and myselfe pokemon is not a game. I cant realize some1 made this game so fuckin competitive. When i was child i just thought "fuck pokemon, ash was so dumb"while..
This game has been a surprise for me.
Im 20 yo and i really care of my hidden secret(play pkmn)
Infact my friends cant know i play pokemon, cos this is so funny, "u are 20 and u still playin pokemon, grow up man"
Well, when i have free time i really happy to play pokemon, to build something, to think "oh, if i win a trophy lots of ppl consider me a good player"
And this is awesome. I could never imagine that being "a champ" of pokemon could be a great satisftation. When i won spl i just felt "wow, ive got it, this was amazgin" i won an amazing trophy..

So..my answer is: what is pokemon for you?

Pokemon for me was initially how I first made good friends at school, we used to trade the cards all the time, occasionally battle but the collecting and trading was always more fun than that. Then I got a Gameboy for my Communion with Yellow, and I kind of forgot about the cards, because the game was so much more fascinating to me. I traded and evolved Pokemon with all the kids in my neighbourhood with a Link cable, and it was a blast. My fascination with the game never stopped, and I always eagerly awaited the next version.

When I found Smogon I was really happy, as I was moving around a lot in that stage of my life and was at the age where it's a lot more difficult to make friends, so I started spending more and more time on the internet and forging online friendships. When I finally settled into one place, Smogon was a huge hindrance to me, as I had become utterly introverted and made little effort to ingratiate myself with my class, and I really regret that. It also had a bad effect on my grades. I was able to pass my high school exams because I managed to scrape through with the bare minimum amount of work, and if I had actually studied I know I would have had many more courses at university open to me. I enjoy what I currently do, but it would have been nice to have more options.

I still enjoy Pokemon and being on Smogon despite the fact that it has without a doubt held me back in life, and objectively, I find that worrisome. Going to university has however opened my eyes a bit, and I realized that this game we play really isn't as great as I thought. The communities forged around it are excellent, but far too much of this game relies on chance for me to ever see it as truly competitive. Once I realized that, my activity here dropped noticeably and I started enjoying the benefits of "IRL". I started partying more, got my first girlfriend, and have generally been happier.

Only reason I'm really still around is because there are so many great people here. Without the friendships you can make here, Pokemon and Smogon are an empty shell of what you can have. Not everything is great though, the toxicity and venom, coupled with ridiculous levels of immaturity some people sling at eachother over this game is downright appalling.

So in short, Pokemon has played a massive role in my life, but is definetly a mixed bag. In some ways I regret ever finding my way here, and in others I wouldn't have missed it for the world. If you can avoid getting addicted though and enjoy Smogon in moderation, I think it can only be a fantastic experience.

I'm 25 and I'm past that "Pokemon is embarrassing" stage. I don't necessarily tell people outright, because most folks I know think of the anime and I don't want to be associated with that. But it's not like I'm hiding my Y cartridge. If people ever look at me funny, I'll just tell them that the game is ridiculously fun and if they've never played it, they don't know what they're talking about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)