ORAS Ubers Balanced, peaked ~1450s, kinda stuck

Introduction

Hello everyone, it's been some time I wanted to get into competitive Pokémon and finally with ORAS I jumped in back in Fall 2014. I only play a few hours a week tops, so it's not so much but still I realized last month that I am kind of stuck, my Elo doesn't increase and I lose to the same kind of teams, so here is my RMT.

I am going to explain the teambuiding process here, since it was initially driven by Pokémon I liked (aka fun yet competitive team) which may explain that it was kinda weird, especially since I imposed myseld two constraints : NO Ekiller, and NO Xerneas (I didn't like them for some reason)

So I started by putting Pokémons I liked : Ho-Oh, Mewtwo (and its super cool MMY version), Rayquaza, and Yveltal. I thought that I could do something with that since they all have varied sets, and so I could add two Pokémon. I wanted to hit hard, while having still some kind of Bulk/be able to do something against stall, so I guess it was a Bulky Offense team.
I really like priority especially for an offensive team and I needed somehow an Arceus because Ubers, so I added Ghostceus. Then I chose Giratina-O as a defoger for Ho-Oh and also because it has a good offensive presence and access to priority via Shadow Sneak while still being pretty bulky.
I ended up with a team that 'surprisingly' had two big threats with few ways around it : Ekiller and GeoXern. If one was present it usually took down two of my Pokémon before I could kill it, if they found the right setup time. I still won sometimes. If both were present, I am not sure I won even once. So the team was the following :

First team

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Mewtwonite Y
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psystrike
- Fireblast
- Focusblast
- Shadowball

Special Attacker set with great coverage here. My primary answer to Darkrai. Always sent out first (as I am still not sure how to decide that...unless I see an obvious counter like Genesect that can be scarfed), so that was great when the opponent also had Darkrai and stayed in (which surprisingly happened often) :) It is also very good to initially hit extremely hard anything that comes that doesn't resist it, and usually created holes from the beginning thanks to the outspeed. I usually let it die after the first kill I made since the oponent usually sent a counter and I didn't want to lose momentum.

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Regular Tank set with Whirlwind instead of EQ/Sub to remove Xerneas for example. I used it mid game to wreak havoc since its speed is not so great. Nothing much to add here as it does its job of hitting hard, and tanking GeoXern.

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Airlock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
Physical set here, just to hit very hard with descent coverage. Espeed used to finish GeoXern and Ekiller often. It usually kills one Pokémon with regular attacks, and then revenge kills one or two.

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic
Not sure how to call this set, it hits pretty hard, but also has good recovery so....
I initially went with Sucker Punch as I said I like priority, but I don't really like mind games, and actually as it is a great check (counter?) to Ekiller which renders Sucker Punch useless, I went with Foul Play which proved to be really helpful (always a great pleasure to destroy a Ekiller trying to set up on me).
Also Roost+Toxic is an excellent counter to Lugia. Toxic helps in general against stall too.
0 IV for opposing Foul Play in case it happens, since I never use my Atk here.

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Force
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Ok, weird set here, and I think maybe I will get laughed at but let me explain : So I chose Arceus-Ghost thinking it's a good check to Ekiller (haha) but I also wanted a rock setter so I put Stealth-Rock on it and then also Ice Beam because I needed something for all the dragons of this Tier. I added Espeed for the priority still....and I tried it. It worked out really well in the end, first because nobody expects rocks on Ghostceus, and even less Ice Beam so I OHKOed countless Rayquaza and MegaMence with it. Also Shadow Force was the mandatory Ghost STAB, I chose it also just because I thought it was cool due to sheer power, and actually it works extremely well on GeoXern! Here is how : For some reason, it seems people liked to send their GeoXern after I sent my Arceus to put rocks or OHKOed a dragon, so they always set up Geomancy right away, and then I use Shadow Force, so the first turn I am faster, and the second turn where I disappeared they are faster! So the Moonblast goes in the air, and I hit super hard with Shadow Force, then I Espeed before I die, even if rocks aren't up, it's almost dead and any priority user can kill it. I thought this was a fun fact to mention since it happened often to me.

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 180 Atk / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Rash Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Draco Meteor

The defogger of the team. Plus Priority user. Plus phazer as I really need it. With a powerful STAB attack that can deter things trying to setup on me, especially with the priority. I took the EVs from somewhere but can't remember why...It has a multi support role, and always comes in handy many times during the match, especially since somehow people underestimates its sheer power.

Comments and second team building

So as I said this team was not so good against Ekiller and GeoXErn, and I was stuck at the 1400s with that so I went and looked at what I could do against two S ranks...not an easy task.
I came up with PDon since, Ho-Oh+PDon is a good core, and my proudest invention so far since I didn't find it anywhere on the interwebs : Assault Vest Mewtwo! (Ok to be honest there probably is a reason for which it's not out there : it's kind of situational, and it didn't do as much as I expected). So I replaced Giratina-O and MMY with PDon and Assault Vest Mewtwo. Let me show you the sets and explain, so that you can judge my second and current team that allowed me to go up to the the 1450s which is higher but still not great...

Mewtwo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Psystrike
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

So same moves as before, but the EVs and item are crafted to counter GeoXern, it is basically the only Pokémon I can send in after a Geomancy except Ho-Oh (if rocks are not up) and PDon which cannot really retaliate. This usually creates questions from the opponent which doesn't get how on Earth Mewtwo tanks so well! His offensive capacity is not so diminished with a modest Nature (less than 10% less than Timid MMY) in the end either, and it still stays a good threat. Its ability has been chosen over Pressure for two reasons because first I don't need Pressure on a this team because I don't stall at all, and also Unnerve destroys the strategy of Custap Berry of Ferrothorn and a few other setupers that I can now destroy!

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 104 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon tail
- Sleep Talk
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide

So here is my Rock setters now. And also my answer to Darkrai (even though I don't like so much the mind games with Sleep Talk) I usually send it first (so I can set up rocks from the beginning, which was not my strategy before). Dragon Tail is very useful as usual but even better against opposing setupers. The EV set is crafted against opposing Primal Groudon, but to be honest I need advice here, as I am kind of lost, as there are so many roles, and corresponding EV sets this awesome Pokémon can fill in. I feel like I lose momentum because of that, also I don't use his great STAB...

Same set as before.

Same set as before.

Same set as before.

Same set as before except now it has Defog instead of Stealth Rocks, which works nicely too.

Conclusion

So with this team I went up a little, but I don't know I feel like it doesn't function very well, especially on the Groudon side. I do better against GeoXern, and a little against Ekiller also, but still. I did like 40 games with my first team and a success rate of ~75-80% , and 20 with the last one with a success rate of ~80% .

I hope you liked reading it, it was fun for me to write, and I really would appreciate constructive comments on how to improve this team without changing too much of my 'core' (if one of those 4 Pokémon goes away I'm fine let's say haha, but not more please :) ) I am very open for the two (or three then) remaining slots excepts I do not want to use Ekiller and Xerneas (and also if possible no Salamence).
Thanks a lot!

(Edit : fixed some typos)

Last edited:

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Hey ill use this as a placeholder for a full rate later, it might be a little while but I do want to lwt you know that I am here to help. What I do want to say is that your movesets, while unique, arent very effective. thats going to be the main focus of my rate.

Sorry if this is a little bare, ill try to get online tomorrow morning.

Hi penpex . This first team looks better than the second so I will rate the first and give you the fixed team at the end. I will tell you first:
What I don't like:
1)Most of your sets and EV spreads are sub optimal.
2)You are weak to Xerneas with Thunder and Mega Diancie as well as a multitude of archetypes and offensive cores.
3)You can not run 3 mons weak to Stealth Rock with 1 of them 4 times weak to it with all the offensive teams around and with how reliably Groudon set up Rocks in Oras.
4)Arceus Ghost and Giratina-O on the same team is redundant.
5)Your team is horribly weak to Kyogre.
What I like:
1)Mewtwo-Y as a stall breaker, a decent mon vs offense and a soft Darkrai check but replace Shadow Ball with Taunt.
2)Arceus Ghost and Yveltal Form a decent core with Mewtwo-Y so we will go from there but I will change the sets to more optimal ones.
Fixes:
1)Mewtwo-Y: Taunt>Shadow Ball
2)Arceus Ghost: Support Defog set instead of yours.
3)Bulky Yveltal with Rocky Helmet to check Ho oh and offensive threats of all kind like Mence and Kangaskhan as well as opposing Arceus Ghost who cause you problems.
4)Specially bulky Primal Groudon to check Xerneas and Kyogre instead of Ho oh.
5)Keep Rayquaza LO for priority support but Replace Outrage with Extreme Speed since Outrage and Dragon Accent are redundant together.
6)Weakness to Ho oh and Yveltal so use Tyranitar with Toxic to annoy other Groudons and with Pursuit to trap Lati twins.
The Fixed Team:
Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite Y
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Psystrike
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Recover

Yveltal @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Toxic
- Roost

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Aqua Tail

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Rest

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave

Hope I helped and good luck.

Last edited:
8-BIT Luster Thanks, I'll be wating for your review!

Lord Outrage Thanks a lot for the reply!
I agree with all your "I don't like" points, and I have to say that I guess I was lucky since I think I never encountered an annoying Mega-Diancie.
So looking at your suggestion they all sound great and I will try this team for sure, but I just have a question :
Concerning Rayquaza, you say "Replace Outrage with Extreme Speed since Outrage and Dragon Accent are redundant together" but I already have Espeed ^^ so I'm not sure what you mean. And then in the foldable team description it has Dragon Dance and Aqua Tail instead of V-Create and Outrage? What is the purpose of Aqua Tail?

8-BIT Luster Thanks, I'll be wating for your review!

Lord Outrage Thanks a lot for the reply!
I agree with all your "I don't like" points, and I have to say that I guess I was lucky since I think I never encountered an annoying Mega-Diancie.
So looking at your suggestion they all sound great and I will try this team for sure, but I just have a question :
Concerning Rayquaza, you say "Replace Outrage with Extreme Speed since Outrage and Dragon Accent are redundant together" but I already have Espeed ^^ so I'm not sure what you mean. And then in the foldable team description it has Dragon Dance and Aqua Tail instead of V-Create and Outrage? What is the purpose of Aqua Tail?
o my bad sorry I meant replace Outrage and V-create with Dragon Dance and Aqua Tail. You can keep V-Create if you really want it but Aqua Tail is a must instead of Outrage because:
Even if my name is Outrage and I love this move. Outrage and Dragon accent are both not very effective vs Steel so they are bad together and Outrage locks you so you might die to a fairy type so it's bad on Rayquaza in gen 6.
About Aqua Tail, Because of your ability you ignore Primal Goudon's ability and 1 shot it with Aqua Tail even in Harsh Sunlight.
And welcome glad I helped.

Lord Outrage Thanks a lot for the explanation, that makes sense for Outrage/Dragon Ascent. And Aqua Tail on Rayquaza sounds really appealing I have to say :)
I am not sure if I will use Dragon Dance though, since I am not so familiar with setup (I usually don't feel like I have many opportunities with Ray) but maybe it's the time for me to try!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)