Other PU Balanced Team

How do you feel about Togetic leaving the tier?

• Total voters
PU Balanced Team

Wassup guys, XenoTech N here to showcase my first RMT. I'm jumping back into PU for the first time in a while, and I knew that I wanted to use Jumpluff, an amazing late-game sweeper in the tier, what with its access to Sleep Powder and SD. Three weeks later, I have a team battle-tested and ready for you guys. Enjoy!

Teambuilding Process:

I started off with Jumpluff, who is my physical sweeper, as well as going in sometimes just to put opposing 'mons to sleep for lols.

Next I wanted something for entry hazards that could help damage Jumpluff's checks. Spikes seemed like a good idea, so I chose Whirlipede because of its access to endeavor and its similarity of weaknesses to Jumpluff, so I could bring a check down to very little health so it'd be useless when Jumpluff came out.

I knew that I'd need a wallbreaker to help with physical walls that beat out Jumpluff, such as Avalugg and Magcargo. Poliwrath is a good option, as it has good typing synergy with Jumpluff, as well as decent bulk to be able to take a hit, and give it right back.

For a balance team, you need walls. Avalugg and Grumpig are the best physical and special walls I know, respectively, that can also do a bit of damage, and helped fill typing needs for weaknesses such as Flying and Psychic.

Finally, I wanted fast pivot, and a Volt Switch user was optimal considering the weakness to flying types. At first Raichu and Zebstrika looked appealing, but Electrode had access to Taunt, something which could help put a stop to the walls that threatened the team.

After battling with this team for a while, it was clear Whirlipede just could not get the job done. I decided rocks were a lot easier to set up than Spikes, and affected Jumpluff chcks more. I chose Piloswine because it had access to priority with Ice Shard, and it let the team be a little more flexible.

In Depth:

Jumpluff @ ?| Infiltrator
Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Sleep Powder
-Swords Dance
-Acrobatics
-Seed bomb
Ah, Jumpluff, the star of the team. His main job is to sleep powder the poor sap currently out on the other team, set up an SD, and finish off the opposing team with its two STAB attacks, Acrobatics and Seed Bomb, though sometimes I have him come in just to put an opposing 'mon who's being a pain to sleep so I can get past it. Infiltrator means that I can ignore reflect, and, more importantly, those pesky substitutes. No item is used in order to increase the power of Acrobatics.

Piloswine @ Eviolite | Thick Fat
Adamant | 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-Stealth Rock
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake
-Toxic
Piloswine's job is to get up Stealth rocks so that my team will have an easier time breaking down my opponents. Eviolite is used to give Piloswine some extra bulk. Ice Shard gives the team priority, and earthquake provides much needed Ground coverage. Toxic is to cripple set-up sweepers, walls, and wallbreakers alike.

Poliwrath @ Life Orb | Water Absorb
Modest | 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
-Focus Blast
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power Dark
Poliwrath is my special wallbreaker. Life Orb gives Poliwrath some extra bite. Focus Blast and Hydro Pump are the STAB moves, while Ice Beam hits threatening Grass and Flying types that otherwise poop on it. HP Dark isn't run very often, so it's used to surprise psychic and Ghost types that otherwise wall this set completely. Water Absorb helps Poliwrath heal if you can predict correctly.

Avalugg @ Leftovers | Own Tempo
Careful | 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
-Rapid Spin
-Avalanche
-Recover
-Mirror Coat
Avalugg is used as my physical wall/Rapid Spinner. Avalanche is used to do damage to physical attackers, recover is for better healing than Leftovers can cover, and Mirror Coat is used to surprise special attackers. Since Avalugg is so hard to OHKO at full health anyway, there's no point in using Sturdy. Instead, Own Tempo is used to give me a break from Dynamic Punch Machoke, as well as any other 'mons that like to confuse their opponents.

Grumpig @ Leftovers | Thick Fat
Calm | 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
-Psychic
-Thunder Wave
-Heal Bell
-Whirlwind
I use Grumpig as my special wall. Psychic is to finish off weakened 'mons. The rest of the moves are support. Thunder Wave is immensely helpful to slow oppsing pokemon down, seeing as my team is a bit slow. Heal Bell is used to rid myself of status, and Whirlwind helps me shut down anything trying to set up. Leftovers are used so that Grumpig can heal at least a little bit.

Electrode @ Focus Sash | Aftermath
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Volt Switch
-Taunt
-Thunder
-Hidden Power Ice
While Electrode may be the most controversial member of my team, it helps immensely as a fast pivot/Taunt user. Volt Switch is to do some damage while switching out, and Thunder, though inaccurate, gives Electrode some decent power. Taunt is used to mess with utility and set up 'mons, and HP Ice is for coverage. Focus Sash allows Electrode to live if I mispredict and it switches in on a ground move, and Aftermath helps do damage to some pokemon, even after getting KO'ed.

Threat List:

CLEFAIRY
This thing is by FAR the biggest threat to my team, as literally the only way this team can do much of anything to it is try to lure it in with Avalugg and hit it with a Mirror Coat or Taunt it, since there's no Knock Off, sources of super-effective damage, or Trick/Switcheroo to cripple this thing on my team. I can't even Toxic it because of Magic Guard.

DUSCLOPS
Dusclops, while still ridiculously hard, is a bit more manageable because at least I can Toxic it, and have Poliwrath chip away at it with HP Dark. But there's almost no way to beat this thing if it has healing support, or if Piloswine is Ko'ed before this thing comes out.

GOURGEIST-XL
This is less of a threat, more of an annoyance, as it can run around for most of the game, leaving Leech Seeds and Will-o-Wisps all over the place. Usually I just go in with Grumpig and T-Wave it, which helps put a stop to its shenanigans.

Importable:

http://pastebin.com/yCZm0nxt

Conclusion:

I hope you guys enjoyed the team! I hoped to build a decent balance team when I started and this team has gone above and beyond my expectations. If you want to use this team, by all means, go ahead and good luck, and feel free to leave suggestions too (EV suggestions are particularly welcomed since I really suck with them). Shoutouts to everyone who helped me out in the PU Room. Later!!!

Last edited:
A few questions to consider...
-If Poliwrath has all special attacks, why is it listed with 252 attack EVs?
-If you ran Sassy (+Sp.Def -Speed) on Avalugg, couldn't you use Gyro Ball for high power and leverage over Clefairy?
Consider these, and good luck!
~JVaria

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey man, the beginning concept of your team seems good but you're running a few sets that don't hold up well in today's metagame and could be fixed with an easy switch to better stuff. Roar is a good option on Avalugg that should at least be considered over Mirror Coat so it doesn't function as setup fodder for just about anything not weak to Avalanche. Mirror Coat is an okay move but roar should at least be considered. Your Poliwrath set is extremely ineffective, as HP Dark is a pretty useless move. Hydro Pump hits Ghost and Psychic types harder anyway (expect for Gourgeist which it hit harder by ice beam) and if you don't want to miss hydro then why are you running LO Hydro anyway lol. Vacuum Wave is the preferred move in that slot for a few reasons, the priority is godly and you don't get much out of almost any other move other than niche lures like HP Electric. If you're looking for a strong LO variant, a swift swim variant could be run with rain dance in the last slot, however I think that standard tank poliwrath should work best here. Life Orb also isn't a great item seeing as you'll want the bulk and passive recovery to handle threats for longer games.
Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave

The other main set issue is Electrode. Electrode itself simply doesn't hold up as a good Pokemon at all, and is outclassed by the likes of Raichu and Zebstrika. I think Raichu is especially important here since it can OHKO Stoutland after Stealth Rock with Focus Blast which is pretty important seeing how much of a threat it is to this team (1-2hko's everything with rocks and like nothing kills it). Raichu won't outspeed Zebstrika and Floatzel like Electrode does but both are manageable with your current team. You also lose your sash but that's a really bad item on Electrode, as avalugg is an unreliable spinner and the sash really isn't a hugely important part of the team.
Raichu @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

After that, the main change I'd make right here is running Taunt over Twave on Grumpig. This lets you prevent Clefairy from recovering and beat it one on one, which is pretty important seeing as pretty much all of your current members lose to it, and you're losing Electrode's Taunt (although it doesnt beat clef anyway). You can also taunt Dusclops and Gourgeist too. As a final note, change Avalugg's spread to 248 HP to take less damage from Stealth Rock. gl with this team!

edit: barely sniped by the above comment. obviously wrath needs changes but I cant agree with gyro ball avalugg, it's just not a good move on it as the coverage is terrible and it needs roar (although magic coat is a cool lure)

A few questions to consider...
-If Poliwrath has all special attacks, why is it listed with 252 attack EVs?
-If you ran Sassy (+Sp.Def -Speed) on Avalugg, couldn't you use Gyro Ball for high power and leverage over Clefairy?
Consider these, and good luck!
~JVaria
The 252 Attack on Poliwrath is a typo. It's supposed to be 252 SpA.
Also, I've tried Gyro Ball on Avalugg to hit Clefairy. It failed miserably:

4 Atk Avalugg Gyro Ball (28 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefairy: 52-62 (15.1 - 18%) -- possible 6HKO

Hey man, the beginning concept of your team seems good but you're running a few sets that don't hold up well in today's metagame and could be fixed with an easy switch to better stuff. Roar is a good option on Avalugg that should at least be considered over Mirror Coat so it doesn't function as setup fodder for just about anything not weak to Avalanche. Mirror Coat is an okay move but roar should at least be considered. Your Poliwrath set is extremely ineffective, as HP Dark is a pretty useless move. Hydro Pump hits Ghost and Psychic types harder anyway (expect for Gourgeist which it hit harder by ice beam) and if you don't want to miss hydro then why are you running LO Hydro anyway lol. Vacuum Wave is the preferred move in that slot for a few reasons, the priority is godly and you don't get much out of almost any other move other than niche lures like HP Electric. If you're looking for a strong LO variant, a swift swim variant could be run with rain dance in the last slot, however I think that standard tank poliwrath should work best here. Life Orb also isn't a great item seeing as you'll want the bulk and passive recovery to handle threats for longer games.
Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave

The other main set issue is Electrode. Electrode itself simply doesn't hold up as a good Pokemon at all, and is outclassed by the likes of Raichu and Zebstrika. I think Raichu is especially important here since it can OHKO Stoutland after Stealth Rock with Focus Blast which is pretty important seeing how much of a threat it is to this team (1-2hko's everything with rocks and like nothing kills it). Raichu won't outspeed Zebstrika and Floatzel like Electrode does but both are manageable with your current team. You also lose your sash but that's a really bad item on Electrode, as avalugg is an unreliable spinner and the sash really isn't a hugely important part of the team.
Raichu @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

After that, the main change I'd make right here is running Taunt over Twave on Grumpig. This lets you prevent Clefairy from recovering and beat it one on one, which is pretty important seeing as pretty much all of your current members lose to it, and you're losing Electrode's Taunt (although it doesnt beat clef anyway). You can also taunt Dusclops and Gourgeist too. As a final note, change Avalugg's spread to 248 HP to take less damage from Stealth Rock. gl with this team!

edit: barely sniped by the above comment. obviously wrath needs changes but I cant agree with gyro ball avalugg, it's just not a good move on it as the coverage is terrible and it needs roar (although magic coat is a cool lure)

Hey man, thanks for the rate, but I've gotta shoot some holes in your suggestions:

I used Roar for a while, but back then I lost to Clefairy every time. With Mirror Coat, I can find some way to beat it about 70% of the time. If this team had something to beat it, absolutely.

You were right on the Poliwrath set, I didn't realize Hydro Pump did more damage, and Vacuum Wave will be good for this set. However, Poliwrath is a better wallbreaker with LO, and keeping Poliwrath alive for as long as possible is not the priority.

I'll try running Zebstrika, but I don't need Raichu for Stoutland, as I pretty much have it covered with Poliwrath and Avalugg.

As for the Taunt over T-Wave suggestion, T-Wave is essential, because my team is slow with the exception of Jumpluff and Electrode.

Once again, thanks for the rate!

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey man, thanks for the rate, but I've gotta shoot some holes in your suggestions:

I used Roar for a while, but back then I lost to Clefairy every time. With Mirror Coat, I can find some way to beat it about 70% of the time. If this team had something to beat it, absolutely.

You were right on the Poliwrath set, I didn't realize Hydro Pump did more damage, and Vacuum Wave will be good for this set. However, Poliwrath is a better wallbreaker with LO, and keeping Poliwrath alive for as long as possible is not the priority.

I'll try running Zebstrika, but I don't need Raichu for Stoutland, as I pretty much have it covered with Poliwrath and Avalugg.

As for the Taunt over T-Wave suggestion, T-Wave is essential, because my team is slow with the exception of Jumpluff and Electrode.

Once again, thanks for the rate!
My bad, that was supposed to be taunt over heal bell. Twave is pretty essential for the set. Mirror coat ava is a terrible answer to clef by the way, since it can still just calm mind all the way up and kill it without sturdy.

My bad, that was supposed to be taunt over heal bell. Twave is pretty essential for the set. Mirror coat ava is a terrible answer to clef by the way, since it can still just calm mind all the way up and kill it without sturdy.
Yeah, taunt over Heal bell makes much more sense. Also, if that's the case I'll just put Sturdy back on Avalugg.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)