ORAS OU Rain Team in Need of Improvements

For Starters, I'm not including Politoed for two reasons: 1.His purpose is usually just drizzle and then remains dead weight. 2.He is a dead giveaway for my opponents that I'm using a rain team. Without further ado, I present my team.

Klefki @ Damp Rock (Wall/Opener/Rainsetter)
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpAtk)
4 HP/252 Def/252 SpDef
Rain Dance
Magnet Rise
Spikes
Toxic

I Chose Klefki as the best replacement for Politoed as Pranster would allow Rain Dance to go first (Lasting an extra 3 turns because of Damp Rock), and when pairing rain with Magnet Rise, Klefki has no weakneses. I feel the EV Spread is pretty standard, and it never hurts to add Spikes to ruin opponents' Sturdy or Focus Sash. I felt toxic would be a good fouth move but I was also considering Foul Play, Thunder Wave, or Safeguard.

Kindra Choice Specs (SpAtk)
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Modest (+SpAtk, -Atk)
28 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 228 Spe
Hydro Pump
Scald
Draco Meteor
Flash Cannon

Kindra was obivously the best choice due to his amount of resistances. The EVs are (shamefully) unoriginal and straight from the Smogon Guide. I chose Draco Meteor over Ice Beam (for counters to dragon weakness) as it gives him a STAB bonus, though I do worry that it may ruin the rest of his time out with the SpAtk derease. Flash Cannon's only real purpose is to remove fairy threats.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy (SpAtk)
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Rash (+SpAtk, -SpDef)
252 SpAtk/ 4 SpDef/ 252 Spe
Thunder
Hurricane
Roost
Iron Tail

I first chose Dragonite because he was one of the only pokemon (the others being an event mewtwo and smeargle) to be able to learn both Thunder and Hurricane, both of which ignore accuracy and evasion checks in rain. Rash nature reduces SpDef which is higher than Def, so I guess it kind of evens out. The EVs attemp to cover up for the nature but of course 4 EVs is still only 1 actual stat. I chose rash over modest, so not as to lower Atk which could be needed for Iron Tail, which of course is for both Fairies and Ice types. I hoped that Multiscale would help him avoid being OHKOed and then the weakness policy would give him the strength to faint the opponent on the next turn. I honestly have no idea what to do for his item, as I would choose an assault vest, but i feel like he needs access to Roost. I also considered a Shell Bell, but idk how useful that would be.

Mega Scizor @ Scizorite (Atk)
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
4HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Bullet Punch
U-Turn?
Swords Dance
Roost

If I was going to have a Mega on this team, it was going to be Scizor or Mawile. Since I already had a steel-fairy type (Klefki, the only acceptable pokemon for this team with prankster), I felt it would be a bad idea to have 2 of the same exact typing. So I went with Scizor since, with rain, he will have no weaknesses. Bullet Punch helps him take out faster opponents and Swords Dance helps boost his atk higher if needed. Roost is there just in case he needs some recovery, and U-turn is there for STAB as well as dangerous switch-ins. I was considering replacing it with Knock Off, Superpower, or Rain Dance (incase klefki's rain ended by then.) and since he has no weaknesses, I figured he didn't need any def or spdef EVs.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb (Atk)
Ability: Dry Skin
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
4 Hp/ 252 Atk/252 SpAtk
Ice Punch
Gunk Shot
Knock Off
Swords Dance

I figured having a Dry Skin pokemon on this team would be helpful. I had a choice between Heliolisk and Toxicroak, and since I had 2 really good Special Attackers (one of which already has an electric attack) I chose Toxicroak. I used the Life Orb as suggested by the Smogon Guide, since the rain'll pretty much fix the hp withdrawl, but I am also open to other items like Assault vest (though I'd have to switch out swords dance), muscle band or Black Sludge to increase his Hp gain every turn. Obivously Gunk Shot is his best STAB poison move against fairies and Ice Punch would handle Ground and Flying opponents. I am not 100% about Knock Off or Swords Dance as moves, I chose Knock off since it would cripple opponents that rely on their items and also counter psychic types. but my other move options were Fake Out for move scouting or Super Fang to ruin pokemon reliant on substitute or belly drum, as well as weaken pokemon with insane Hp, like Chansey or Blissey.

Mamoswine @ Leftovers (Semi-Wall/Atk)
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Sassy (+SpDef, -Spe)
52 Atk/ 226 Def/ 226 SpDef
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Icicle Crash
Freeze Dry

Mamoswine was suggested on some guide for rain teams (possibly smogon, idk) as a well rounded miscillanious pokemon. Thick Fat helps lessen his weakness to fire even more when assisted with rain. Stealth Rock is there incase klefki's Spikes are removed or uneffective. Earthquake and Icicle Crash (Both STAB) can help counter Steel and Grass weaknesses respectively. While Freeze Dry, Though not using his best stat, can counter water type weaknesses.

So there you have it, my team. I also considered Aegislash as an attacker/defender in place of mamoswine, but I figured Mamoswine would be more unexpected and thus my opponents would not be prepared for him. I also Thought about Thunderus-T, but he couldn't learn Hurricane and in Therian forme, his ability was not prankster. I also thought about omastar for a special attacker, but if my opponent saw both omastar and kindra in the same team, they may suspect a rain team. Any and All Feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey just a heads up, in order for you to make a rain team Politoed is mandatory, unless it is a semi-rain team. I would suggest replacing Mamoswine with Ferrothorn (better stealth rock setter in term for a rain team, since Ferrothorn's 4x weakness to fire is reduce to 2x).

I have to agree with Joejai. Without Politoad a Zard-Y can switch in and end your rain. If that happens you would need 2 turns to set up rain dance with Klefki. If the opponent predicts your switch in with Klefki they can Fire Blast it and end your team. With Politoad it only requires 1 turn to set up your rain again. I'd also keep U-Turn on Scizor if you do put Politoad on the team. This way you can give Politoad a safe switch in since Scizor can take a hit. (Also Mega Mawile and Aegislash are banned just so you know) I haven't seen a Special Dragonite so I don't have too much to say. However, if you are looking for an item for this set I would suggest leftovers as you get some Hp back every turn. Hope this helped a little.

Aight shawty this team looks like some gen 4 stuff lol. But for real though you absolutely need politoad since it is mandatory for any good rain team to have something that sets up rain without wasting a turn. Ill go through things mon by mon but im on phone so sorry for any formatting errors or typos

Klefki:
Klefki @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave/Toxic
- Rain Dance
- Play Rough

out classes your current set since it is mainly a switchin to special attackers and magnet rise is usually a fourth move on normal kleki so you have to run play rough i order to not get tossed by any taunt user.

Kingdra:
All g

Dragonite:
The dragonite set you got now is strange since most specially oriented Draconites will go with a more defensive set and iron tail and weakness policy are completely out of place. I would suggest running the standard dd set since you have a special wall breaker all ready.
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage/Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Scizor: You have the moveset of a more defensive scizor but the evs of offensive scizor. I would recommend changing it to the standard defensive set.
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Toxicroak: you got lots of sweepers already so I would swap this for Poli
Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Mamoswine: lmao why defensive mamo. swap this to Hippo without sand rush so it doesnt kill ur rain and gives you a solid defender and answer to bird spam.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Also if you are looking to get better you should probs steal a team and ladder a bit to understand the meta a bit. :))

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)