Spelling and Grammar Standards

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Noticed people making this change recently and I followed suit, but why is "for super effective damage" better than "super effectively"? What's wrong with "super effectively"?
Nothing's wrong with it. No reason to change "super effectively" as long as it's 1. not capitalized 2. not hyphenated and 3. being used in the right context (Thunderbolt hits Gyarados super effectively).

Basically same as the rules on all usage of "super effective" phrases.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
"Against" vs. "versus?" As in "Use Scald against/versus physical attackers." I prefer against, but I'd like to know if versus is acceptable.

Can we add things like "Choiced", "Choice Scarfed", etc. as coined terms? "Choice-locked" usually works but there are some instances where those fit better

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Can we add things like "Choiced", "Choice Scarfed", etc. as coined terms? "Choice-locked" usually works but there are some instances where those fit better
Personally I've always been fine with "Choiced" as in "holding a Choice item", but "Choice Scarfed", "Choice Banded", and the like frankly sound terrible and informal and I see no reason why just the item name wouldn't work in the cases I can come up with.. (e.g. "Choice Band Entei" over "Choice Banded Entei".)

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Personally I've always been fine with "Choiced" as in "holding a Choice item", but "Choice Scarfed", "Choice Banded", and the like frankly sound terrible and informal and I see no reason why just the item name wouldn't work in the cases I can come up with.. (e.g. "Choice Band Entei" over "Choice Banded Entei".)
"If Entei is Choice Banded, it will capitalize on opposing teams." In this case, just using "Choiced" or "Choice-locked" doesn't properly designate which Choice item Entei has. I agree that they sound informal, but there are edge cases like this that I can't think of alternatives for.

Reactions: Muk

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
"If Entei is Choice Banded, it will capitalize on opposing teams." In this case, just using "Choiced" or "Choice-locked" doesn't properly designate which Choice item Entei has. I agree that they sound informal, but there are edge cases like this that I can't think of alternatives for.
I guess I'd just change it to 'if Entei is running / holding a Choice Band,' I agree it's more wordy but it does get around the slang neatly imo (and after all we wouldn't use 'Life Orbed' either). The only other case that came to mind was something like 'Choice Banded wallbreakers', but in cases like that it's pretty clear from context which Choice item is meant (wallbreakers don't use Scarf, physical attackers don't use Specs, etc)

How do we handle capitalization of words in the Checks and Counters section (specifically, the titles of each entry)? Example: **Pokemon that Resist or are Immune to Electric**:

"That" and "Are", or nah?

Also, cleric should be added as a coined term. (I'm assuming it only applies to Heal Bell/Aromatherapy users and not Wish users or anything)

E: Just noticed this

• Pokemon roles (sweeper, tank, special wall, etc.) are not capitalized.

There should maybe just be a list of roles added or something

Last edited:

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Also, cleric should be added as a coined term. (I'm assuming it only applies to Heal Bell/Aromatherapy users and not Wish users or anything)
According to this, a cleric is "a Pokemon that uses Aromatherapy or Heal Bell to cure itself and its team of status."

Muk said:
Pokemon roles (sweeper, tank, special wall, etc.) are not capitalized.

There should maybe just be a list of roles added or something
It's pretty intuitive what classifies as a role. If it doesn't use the item or the name of the set in whatever you're talking about ("Choice Band Emboar is a wallbreaker" rather than "Emboar is a wallbreaker with a Choice Band" or something) then it's a role and shouldn't be capitalized.

edit: fwiw i know what you were saying, and i'm saying it's obvious enough to know what's a role and doesn't need capitalizing without a compendium of them (but ya the dp article works)

Last edited:
It's pretty intuitive what classifies as a role. If it doesn't use the item or the name of the set in whatever you're talking about ("Choice Band Emboar is a wallbreaker" rather than "Emboar is a wallbreaker with a Choice Band" or something) then it's a role and shouldn't be capitalized.
I know, I wasn't talking about the capitalization part -- I was saying that there should maybe be a list of established roles in this thread for clarity, but that article's probably good enough despite being from DP.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've been seeing the adjective "clutch" come up in a number of analyses, and though I sometimes find it a bit awkward (and often used with inconsistent meanings), I don't normally change it.

But it seems a bit much to use it as a verb. (e.g. "Mega Gengar's offensive presence and high Speed are also effective late-game, allowing it to clutch a necessary KO on a weakened Pokemon for its teammates.") That said, I know I'm sometimes too nitpicky on things, so let me know if changing this seems overly aggressive.

Malley

Dominachu
I've been seeing the adjective "clutch" come up in a number of analyses, and though I sometimes find it a bit awkward (and often used with inconsistent meanings), I don't normally change it.

But it seems a bit much to use it as a verb. (e.g. "Mega Gengar's offensive presence and high Speed are also effective late-game, allowing it to clutch a necessary KO on a weakened Pokemon for its teammates.") That said, I know I'm sometimes too nitpicky on things, so let me know if changing this seems overly aggressive.
I don't like the word, but I much prefer it as a verb than as an adjective. 'To clutch' is a verb in regular speak as well, as a motion of the hand to grab something rather forcefully. The way it's used in analyses is just a figurative extension of that. Although 'to clutch out' sounds more natural to me - it's like 'to squeeze out'. 'Clutch' as a Pokémon-specific adjective is far more strained, for me, as it it's changing the verb into an adjective without any morphological adjustment. I think it's far too colloquial.

Lumari

empty spaces
TFP Leader

Yeah, 'clutch' as an adjective is obvious slang and should be avoided imo. As for the verb, I'm... not sure. The verb exists, it isn't informal or anything, but merriam-webster (the dictionary I use while GP checking, dunno how much actual authority it has though) only acknowledges the literal sense, not the figurative sense applied here, so it does come off pretty colloquial and I'd lean towards avoiding it.

Last edited:

NoCheese

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't like the word, but I much prefer it as a verb than as an adjective. 'To clutch' is a verb in regular speak as well, as a motion of the hand to grab something rather forcefully. The way it's used in analyses is just a figurative extension of that. Although 'to clutch out' sounds more natural to me - it's like 'to squeeze out'. 'Clutch' as a Pokémon-specific adjective is far more strained, for me, as it it's changing the verb into an adjective without any morphological adjustment. I think it's far too colloquial.
Yeah, but I don't think it's really being used as a figurative "to grab" here; I parsed the meaning as: obtain an important/critical KO -> obtain a clutch KO -> clutch a KO. And if the adjective form is frowned upon as overly slangy, than this certainly should be too. As to the figurative grabbing, clutching seems more like holding on to something you already have, rather than reaching out and taking something like a KO, making even the figurative form a bit odd, though as you note, more defensible.

It sounds like informal slang in both forms (i.e., verb and adjective), and the verb form in particular is weird... "to clutch a KO" seems really awkward, and I don't think most readers would get the figurative meaning that easily. I would suggest you folks change it to something else like "score a KO" or perhaps "snatch a KO" ^.^

Malley

Dominachu
I'm very skeptical of the adjective-first parsing, as the adjective clearly comes from the verb. "To clutch" is a synonym of "to snatch", which fits reasonably well with the idea of seizing a win out of unlikely circumstances. I wouldn't use either though, because "clutch" as an adjective is horribly colloquial and "to clutch" as a verb in this context is just awkward.

NoCheese

Yeah, I went ahead and changed it. Thanks all for the thoughts! And if we want "clutch" removed more generally, I'm happy to do the search and do so, though I'd prefer to have confirmation from GatoDelFuego or Oglemi before making such a move.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On a video game site, the only way I'd ever expect to see "clutch" would be as an adjective to describe how awesome a last-minute play is. In fact I forgot that it even HAD another meaning and had to stare at it for a while to get the other one. If you want to erase it from the site, sure, cause there's much better verbs out there. If we want to keep the adjective, I support that, but otherwise I think we're good after that then.

Lumari

empty spaces
TFP Leader
Should 'parafusion' be added as a coined term?
Something along the lines of 'a strategy attempting to prevent a foe from moving via a combination of paralysis and confusion'?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)