OM Interviews (#26: OM room)

Do you have any games that are out, and you want play, but haven't yet?

Favorite home consol?

Favorite handheld consol?

Weirdest video you've ever seen?

Weirdest question you've ever been asked?

Kl4ng, on a scale of 7.5 to 347.98, what is your favourite colour of the alphabet?

Answer honestly, no troll responses mkay?
Tau
If i made a Trick Room stall team, would you reconsider?
Yes, expanding stall to Trick Room would do all of mimezkind a great favor.

hmm I wonder why...
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-206530883
3ph+3borkmon team anybody?

anyways on to a real question...
As an authentic Canadian what are your thoughts on Canadian Bacon?

E: also what are your thoughts on not packing a genie counter?
I like bacon, as it tastes good.

What does american bacon even taste like ?_?
Do you have any games that are out, and you want play, but haven't yet?

Favorite home consol?

Favorite handheld consol?

Weirdest video you've ever seen?

Weirdest question you've ever been asked?
Yeah, I've been meaning to play Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus for a while now. I'll probably get around to playing it soon.

Honestly I've just stuck with Playstation and haven't even bothered to try xBox, so Playstation consoles. I'm just too lazy to try the alternative and Playstation works fine so yeah.

I've only really used Nintendo 3DS recently, so 3DS.

That would have to be pretty much everything Lcass4919 sends me, including gems such as:
and

Refer to I like donkeys' question

Yeah, I've been meaning to play Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus for a while now. I'll probably get around to playing it soon.
As an avid Ratchet and Clank player, I unfortunately find Nexus, well, underwhelming is probably the best word. At the start I noticed the controls felt slightly different compared to past games, and since the enemies can fire in any direction they want it is considerably more difficult to dodge enemy attacks like i could in previous games. But hey, maybe you will like the added difficulty in dodging and the unusual controls :)
Other issues i find is it's blandness and unfamiliarity. Enemies are much more cartoon-like compared to other games, it almost felt like it was made by different people. Speaking of enemies, you will be fighting pretty much the SAME enemies in every level, until you got near the end where things got interesting when it comes to enemies.
Onto the good parts though, the weapons are fucking dope. I have never seen anything such bizarre and awesome weapons before. And of course the graphics are pretty great when compared to tools of destruction or something. Unfortunately, when you finish the game and go into challenge mode, the 'mega weapons' you buy replace your previous weapon's sick colour scheme, with a disappointing turd-gold palette with no distinction. Ugh.

Not saying i didn't have fun with it though, the first play through was pretty fun and i had a good time, but i feel Insomniac could have done better. I'm not gonna say much more because i don't want to spoil too much :3
On the level where you have to kill those giant floating monsters for that blue guy with a parrot, just letting you know some of them sleep in the water and will not wake up even if you go near them. You have to shoot them to wake them up then you can kill them. I learnt this the hard way after i was searching for the last few monsters for over halve an hour. At first i thought the sleeping monsters were just part of the scenery, since you know they didn't interact with my unlike EVERY other enemy in the entire Ratchet and Clank franchise :/ so i was looking at it for a bit and thought "you know maybe..." so i shoot it for the lulz and out it pops to fite me irl. So yeah felt like you should know.

Last edited:
Can you give a detailed assessment of the offense playstyle's terribleness?
How would you encourage the community to join da mimez?
What was your biggest winstreak? Would it have been possible for you to achieve the same win/loss ratio with offense (provide more evidence that makes offense look bad.)
How should stall-haters be punished?
Do you like to watch players suffer from da stalz?
Serious question, do you believe stall is versatile in most metagames or not? Do you feel extremely hard-pressed whilst building teams?
If you were given the choice, would you marry a mimez?

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Interview #14: E4 Flint, that random guy from Sinnoh :toast:

How did you get into Pokemon, PS, Smogon, Other Metas and this community?

I always loved Pokemon for as long as I remember, from watching the TV series back in Kindergarten and collecting the early cards. Pokemon Red on Gameboy Color was the most fantastic thing I had ever seen, and as a result, to this day I am probably still a gen wunner sadly.

PS was different in that I saw my brother playing it one day before college but decided to actually get on it when I was bored out of my mind in one of my classes. I lurked a lot using random alts to play randbats mostly.

How I got into BH, and by extension Other Metas, is an interesting story that I can remember to this day. As I mentioned, I lurked on PS for a long time, and eventually I played OU. After a particularly intense game, I lamented about how running Sun offense in a tier with Rain as the norm was tough, and there was very little diversity. He agreed and told me things are not like this in other tiers and went full on "shady clock dealer", advising me to try this underground, lesser known meta where you can "do whatever you wanted" and have "total freedom", called "Hackmons". Unfortunately, No Guard Sheer Cold seemed the centralization that I wanted to escape, and I switched to the "balanced" version, where I've been since. I really wish I could remember that guy's alt name.

As for how I got onto Smogon:

What is your favorite aspect of Other Metas, why?
Other Metas really challenge you to think out of the box, to break away from standard sets with a simple twist or rule, against a community filled with people who are trying to do the exact same. The sets you create and the success you get, rely a lot on one's own creativity which is what I find most appealing.

What is iyo the most underrated Other Meta?
Inverse does not seem to get either the activity or the attention that I think it deserves.

What is your favorite Other Metagame, why?
Perhaps unsurprisingly, Balanced Hackmons, because at least in Gen5, I think it had the greatest degree of creativity because of its rules, and the most interplay among different styles while using unstoppable combinations with the best Pokemon in the game. While the tactical aspect and diversity seem to have diminished somewhat, I still find it enjoyable.

What would you encourage new OM users to do to get into OMs?
I would encourage new OM players to be patient more than anything; it is entirely possible (and probably inevitable) that ideas you think while teambuilding are utter flops in the ladder and you lose many games because of it; when that happens, do not throw it all away and go back in the comfort zone of the standard tiers, or just try to take a team featured in an RMT.Instead, analyse what you can change, and adapt to what you see while still trying to incorporate your own creativity into your sets. The success that you get with your team afterwards is very rewarding since it comes with the pride in your own unique stamp on your team.
I would also echo what people have said before about coming into the OM room and beginning discussion and tips, since that is very much encouraged.

What would you change about Other Metas?
I am not entirely sure what to answer since I don't think I know the full picture but, to me, there seems to be an exorbitantly large amount of other metagames, of which only a tiny subset are represented with permanent ladders. OMotM and Leader's Choice are great steps in the right direction to introduce new OMs to all, but it seems like it is difficult to get some to be permanent additions to the main server. Combine that with the fact that since the pool of permanent OMs is so small, most are becoming stale with limited activity makes me think that more OMs should and could be offered. I personally enjoyed Pokemon Throwback as well.

I also think that somehow OMs need to be marketed better to the overall community and as a whole, we need to be more approachable to players from the standard tiers.

What do you support for next OMotM, why?
I supported Mix n Mega, because I felt that out of all the offerings, this one had the most interesting and legitimate twist. As for ones that have been done before, I would maybe retry Ability Shift with post-ORAS abilities - although I'd never say no to Super Staff Bros: Other Metagames too! Be sure to make use of my powers in it.

What do you think of the OM room right now?
I enjoy my time in the OM room as it is a great place for veterans and new players alike to share their ideas, theorymon together, battle in tournaments and just have fun. The growth that we have experienced is only a good thing as it seems to be a direct consequence of growing interest in OMs overall. Yet, the room still maintains the small, tightly-knit community charm that was present when the room was first created with only around 10-15 users. I also enjoy my recent reputation as one of the last bastions of offense-based gameplay in the face of overwhelming stall odds.

Do you enjoy being staff there?
Being staff in the OM room is a great privilege and responsibility that I feel very lucky to have, and enjoy very much. I try to maintain a balance between goofiness and on-topic serious discussion as either extreme isn't good for a room, imo. I also try to be light-hearted and completely unlike the formal tone I reserve for exams, essays, papers, and online interviews on Pokemon websites.

Why do you think you were promoted to a staff position?
I think it'd have to be because of my high activity, my continual presence since the room's inception, and just being a helpful and level-headed "normal" person, as weird as that sounds.

The real reason is, of course, cause TI thought I should.

Who do you admire the most of the OM community?
TheCommadore /Kumiromi was the player to beat and look up to when I first began in BH, due to his ladder dominance; facing him in battle for the first time was a chastising and instructional experience. In addition, I appreciate all of my great opponents, from the highly efficient Kl4ng to the resilient Adrian Marin, and others, too many to name, in between. Having great opponents across multiple OMs makes the tiers, and by extension, myself, better as well.

What would you recommend people to do to get better at teambuilding and battling in Other Metagames?
It's all well and good to have a lot of unique ideas but it is not always impossible to fit them all in a team, or having them work together. It is very important to take into account the general trend of the meta in question, instead of just copy-pasting your general structure from teams across OMs and tweaking a few moves. A few games in the meta should always introduce at least some thoughts on how to further tweak a team; in fact, I think it is a mistake to ever mark a team as "complete" in its lifecycle, even if changes are made very slowly. One common thing I've seen is that there is sometimes a lot of redundancy on teams, where multiple Pokemon all are either weak to the same thing, or target a very narrow field.

In terms of battling,sometimes people get flustered when an early setback happens, or something doesn't go as expected in a game, which subsequently causes them far more damage than anything the opponent could've done. Not doing this is easier said than done though.

How is it to be on this many councils?
I enjoy being part of a few volunteer groups such as the BH Q&C, but it can be a lot of work and attention to detail. I tend to turn down positions in specific meta councils however, because I think that my views, especially on clauses and bans, tend to clash so often with others, and I don't want to create a scene with every minor decision.

How do you specialize in many metagames?
I tend to play in a mostly offense-based style, and I think a lot of my success has come from constantly trying to figure out new attacking combinations in various tiers that systematically break apart counters for the established attackers in the game. When counters start to form for these sets, simply repeat the process. I give great importance to the idea that many times it's not brute strength that slams the opponent's defences head on, but a new idea or technique that they are unaware of, and can slip past them.
When I start a new meta, usually, I just throw some ideas together to begin with, usually centered around a few key sets that I want to try out together, or overall team theme, get a few games under my belt so I can get a good snapshot of the meta for myself, and adjust my team accordingly. I am not afraid to completely throw out previous ideas if they are shown to be lacking.
I also try very hard to not exhibit trends in multiple teams so that I cannot be exploited by a common weakness across all of them.

What metagame would you add if possible?, project?
If I could create a metagame, it would probably be something centered around item-based gameplay, which I think is one of the last "twists" that remain untapped. A simple example would be a metagame where all items are inexhaustible, maybe in a manner similar to Harvest which every 'mon would have, including consumables like Absorb Bulb and Chesto Berry.
As for project, I think I would still be interested in some kind of voice cast with members of the OM room, possibly as voted by the OM users - assuming I'd be voted that is!

Who do you think is an underrated OM user?
MBM99 is a good friend of mine who is nice, relatively active and level-headed, and mature beyond his age. I feel he is a great albeit quiet presence in the OM chat, someone who most have mentioned having a good experience with, and is a good battler to boot. He also sends me interesting videos that help pass the time during slow hours online.

What do you think of the BH metagame?
Although I not-so-secretly enjoy the complete obliteration of stall in BH, I do think that the meta is offensively centered around a few mons and abilities, without which teams cannot afford to be without during ladder play. Although, I do partially think it is also because most people are recycling old sets over and over instead of attempting to find new ones.

What do you think of what happened to it?
The current behavior of the tier is what to be expected given the extreme power creep in new mons (especially from ORAS). The removal of full EV's, making all Pokemon more brittle from before only exacerbates the problem, and has slanted the meta towards a heavily fast-paced "kill or be killed" style, with focus on trying to repeatedly transition from dealing huge amounts of damage, to absorbing the opponent's attempts to do the same in a never ending cycle until the game ends.

How has the tier progressed?
BH XY was heavily favored towards complete spam of only a few abilities, usually PH as an offensive or defensive option, as well as all the -ate abilities. The Ability Clause helped fix this somewhat, althogh I still believe it should have been defined at 1 instead of 2. The Parental Bond ban was probably required in the end, and clauses for Assist, Evasion and Chatter helped clean up the tier from being dominated by uncompetitive strategies. As mentioned before though, the single defining change was the removal of full EV's which has turned the meta into the state it is today.

A BH team + explanation?
Here's a team I made some time ago that I like to give out: http://hastebin.com/pijipatiki.md
Although the team is somewhat old, I find that it is able to hold up decently defensively and offensively even today. The team centers around breaking through the opponents' defenses with three powerful wall breakers.
The centerpiece of this team in particular is Latios Mega, who, with his Soul Dew buff, seeks to make use of its stabs to the maximum, with Tinted Lens catching out and destroying any defensive switch ins that unwittingly relied on their resistance to tank hits. By doing so, you eventually free up the opponent's team enough to be able to be finished by Rayquaza and Groudon.
Groudon's role is to get around its main counter, Fur Coat, as well as be the Shedinja killer, while Registeel and Giratina provide the damage absoprtion with slow pivots to get back into damage dealing mode, while possibly spreading status as well.
Chansey's role is, of course, to collect information of the opponent's team, to take out any niche threat such as Contrary and extreme setup, and be an option for stalling as well - although it's not like anyone likes to stall.

Favorite Mon?
There can be only one, the most powerful, graceful, perfectly designed Pokemon to ever exist:

Mewtwo, and his Megas, are a close second, from the Gen1 days and the first movie, where he was invincible.

Any final words?
There's a quote from William Clinton that I enjoy:
"If you live long enough, you'll make mistakes. But if you learn from them, you'll be a better person. It's how you handle adversity, not how it affects you. The main thing is never stall, never stall, never stall."

OK maybe I paraphrased it a bit.

Long live Offense
lel

Do you think your life is meaningful right now?

If not, what will you do to make your life meaningful?

Do you feel healthy when you answer those questions above?

Do you listen to music?

If yes, what kind of music do you listen to?

Say, you're in a tour with a time limit to teambuild. If you're too nervous to think of any playstyle but stall, what would you do?

Are you annoyed when you answer my questions?

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
What/who made you decide to use offense?
What is your favourite part about using offense?
Why is offense the best playstyle?
What is the best non-uber offensive mon?
Have you ever used stall?
Why are you obsessed with being 1-0 in every tier?
People say it is hard to get consistent win streaks with offense, what would you say in reply?
If we are asking for evaluations on match lengths, how about the length of this one:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-244917067
Awesome length y/y
After offense, what is the best playstyle?
Why do you say lel?
I beat the Sinnoh E4 and Champ again last week (as well as the Unova but w/e) and that includes E4 Flint. You didn't use all fire mons, why?
What is the best type?
Second best?
What is your favourite meta ever that doesn't have a perma ladder?
What is an overlooked OM that has never won OMotM or had a perma ladder but that you would like to play?
Best dead OM?
Do you play hockey?
If no why not o.o
What is your favourite sport?
What is your favourite colour?
What is your favourite movie?

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why do you hate da mimez?
I think the real question is, how can you worship this

Why didn't you bring a Diancie counter to our OMPL match?
Dialga was the soft check, but the real answer is I didn't have time to prepare. My first half strategy seemed to work pretty well after all. Like I said before, that Raymega had no item instead of Goggles as well.

How does it feel to be one of the few graced with conversation from someone such as myself?
I always enjoyed speaking to you. It can be an emotional experience and a great honor to read what you type sometimes, like when it's late at night and you send me riveting converstaion starters like "asdjaslhfakdsjhfalksjdhfsakjdh" and "sec"

Do you like your in-game character? What about in the anime?
Having a fire type in the elite four is huge, plus he actually has style, has cool dialogues (see my sig which I can relate to really well) and has a pretty offensive team, so yeah I really enjoy him in game. I've only seen a few instances of him in the anime, but he has a strong voice and I still think it's awesome that he had the balls to challenge Cynthia for the champion title and nearly won despite her having a freaking Garchomp vs his Infernape.
So yeah, Flint is great.

Why is your name E4 Flint?
Do you have an afro IRL?
What type of music do you listen to?
Have you ever played chess?
Why Contrary Arceus?
What is your opinion on the 6500 turn battle Adrian and I had yesterday?
  • I've loved fire types since gen1, and having an Elite Four member of fire was a huge deal to me. I played ou with Sun Offense so I decided to go with Flint as my official altname. That was taken, as was Elite Four Flint, so I tried this one and it worked.
  • No, I'm afraid I don't; I am actually pretty far from resembling Flint in looks.
  • I have a pretty diverse taste in music, but I do tend to prefer Rock, Pop Rock going up to Hard Rock and Metal. One music genre I never listen to is rap.
  • Yes, I used to play quite a bit in middle to high school, including being involved in some state competitions where I lived before.
  • The Arc in question used to be a SoundProof perish song trapper. I decided to run a different Arc with Espeed to inject some prio into my team and Contra provided free coverage and boosting while being able to hit Giratina.
  • I thought it was an extremely unimpressive way to waste a lot of time. You're going for the wrong kind of records anyway (see answers for nape)
Do you think your life is meaningful right now?
If not, what will you do to make your life meaningful?
Do you feel healthy when you answer those questions above?
Do you listen to music?
If yes, what kind of music do you listen to?
Say, you're in a tour with a time limit to teambuild. If you're too nervous to think of any playstyle but stall, what would you do?
Are you annoyed when you answer my questions?
  • Sure, why not. After all, it's certainly meaningful to me that I'm alive
  • NA
  • Will have to check if they caused me any deficiences
  • Yes
  • See above what I answered to Kl4ng. Atm I have some MJ songs stuck in my head - can you feel it?
  • I would throw the tour than use stall. Having said that, this question is not applicable because if I was pressed for time, I would simply make an extreme setup HO team to at least have fun with, if I scrape a win - plus it can auto-win vs Adrian Marin :^)
  • Not particularly, thanks for your questions cause it's better than having none to answer
What/who made you decide to use offense?
What is your favourite part about using offense?
Why is offense the best playstyle?
What is the best non-uber offensive mon?
Have you ever used stall?
Why are you obsessed with being 1-0 in every tier?
People say it is hard to get consistent win streaks with offense, what would you say in reply?
If we are asking for evaluations on match lengths, how about the length of this one:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-244917067
Awesome length y/y
After offense, what is the best playstyle?
Why do you say lel?
I beat the Sinnoh E4 and Champ again last week (as well as the Unova but w/e) and that includes E4 Flint. You didn't use all fire mons, why?
What is the best type?
Second best?
What is your favourite meta ever that doesn't have a perma ladder?
What is an overlooked OM that has never won OMotM or had a perma ladder but that you would like to play?
Best dead OM?
Do you play hockey?
If no why not o.o
What is your favourite sport?
What is your favourite colour?
What is your favourite movie?
  • I was born with a deep seated hatred for stall, I'm afraid
  • Nothing like the satisfaction of predicting right, and OHKOing their check for one of my other attackers. I also greatly enjoy offense's ability to overwhelm in the blink of an eye; the "domino effect" of seeing a team fall apart once the first breakthrough is made i.e. everything fainting within five to ten turns after the first 'mon has fainted, is the greatest power of offense imo
  • Cause stall sucks. If you want a serious answer, I personally think it's more fun to set the pace and the tone for a battle, than be reactive like stall. I like seeing people fear that their mons are about to faint if they make a single misstep. I think also that the outlook of extreme stalling i.e. beginning the game with the singular purpose of pp stalling is an extremely negative and not fun way to play the game, and that thought process eventually culminates into the ultimate form of negativity i.e. infinite stalling
  • That depends entirely on the tier you mean, but in general I like MegaZardX and Megagross since they have access to what they need to cover most of their checks, and they can access their full power pretty quickly without too much setup
  • I wanted rival arkeis' /rank length, so originally the 1-0's didn't matter. Once I got 12 or so though, I though it'd be fun to maintain it. It looks pretty good and I can say I'm undefeated in 20 different metas
  • I would disagree; if you are comparing it to stall then maybe, but an adaptive and competent offense player can usually put together a solid run across most metas. The key word is "adaptive" though, it is unrealistic to expect going on streaks like 50-0 with the same exact team you used in the first battle
  • It's great, congrats. Try going for the 6 turn win. Kl4ng, Adrian Marin, take note, these are the records you should be going for that showcase skill, instead of a predetermined five and a half hours of fluff lel
  • There is offense, and there is the rest that doesn't matter
  • I was laddering and there was this one low ladder battler who consistently said "lel" after every moment of hax, or a decent play he somehow blundered into playing, and I found it pretty infuriating. So I started saying it back when I won, and then started using it in other battles to try and induce the same rage and force mistakes. Eventually it became a habit and now people associate it with me instead of that rage so oh well. Also "lel" sounds funny if you say it in your head lelel
  • You need to upgrade to Platinum Version to get the real game experience. In any case, there's no harm in having a diverse team
  • I think it still has to be Dragon and Steel overall, with Fairy and Dark being extremely potent offensively in standard metas. Personally though, nothing beats the Fire type
  • Personally, Dragon after Fire.
  • Out of the ones that do not have permaladder that I have played, I think it'd be Ability Exchange (which I think is a better version of AAA) or Ability Shift
  • I don't know which ones are overlooked, so referring to this post, I think I would be most interested to try out Physical Special Swap, as that sounds like a whole new host of offense mons to try out, and turning the counters on their head
  • Pokemon Throwback, definitely
  • I don't
  • Never tried, watched or was interested in the sport
  • Soccer
  • Red
  • I have many, but The Dark Knight really is a masterpiece

Last edited:

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Favourite replay?
Shortest replay? (aka best)
Replay of you using offense to COMPLETELY DISMANTLE AND OBLITERATE stall?
Top 10 reasons why offense is great? I know the first four (It's amazing, it's awesome, it's OP, and it's fun) enlighten the world with the final 6 ;)
What games do you have for DS?
If you have any, do you do any competitive breeding or anything like that?
What is your favourite move? (if it's not V-Create I'm disappointed in you js)

Btw thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions :D

Isn't your favorite type Fire? And if so, why is your favorite Pokemon not a Fire type?

Last edited:
Thee, the one who hungers to abolish Stall is Unclean. Thou shalt perpetually be subjugated by the Pure and true sovereign, da holy mimez. To become clean, thee must recite: ☆*・゜゚・*MIMEZ WAVE!!*・゜゚・*☆KEEP THE STALL GOING ☆*・゜゚・*LETS GO MIME !*・゜゚・*☆ \⌒(o°‿°o)⌒/

Our work here is done.

What is your opinion on this image of Flint cosplaying as Mr. Mime?
scrublord.png

Which opening do you use as white in chess? (If you don't say E4 I'm gonna be disappointed!)
If, hypothetically, stall would remain the same style of play but wouldn't take as long, would you play it?
Favorite console?

Favorite legendary?
What in your opinion is the overall best mon in oms for hyper offense?
What is your opinion of Mix-and-Mega?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)