Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

They're all little inside jokes; it was originally posted when Wobbuffett dropped into RU after UU banned Shadow Tag, Pawniard was added because of Molk's propensity to run him on joke teams, Assault Vest Shell Armor Lapras was 'the counter' for Kingdra during its brief stint in RU, and Magnemite is (the user) not the pokemon.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is more of a theorymon question, but what would happen if Trevenant dropped from UU?
Nothing would really change that much. In a lot of ways it seems as though it would be an inferior Gourgheist XL or Small. Would probably have some niche though, probably b- or c+ on viability ranking thread if I were to guess.

Trev would have one sorta neat niche over the pumpkins with a Choice Band set imo, its attack stat and STABs are decent enough to poke at some water- and psychic-types and Natural Cure means it's less afraid of Scalds and Thunder Waves than other physical attackers (though Jellicent moving from Scald to Hex as an attacking move doesn't exactly bode well for it!).

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The only thing I can really see Trevenant doing is running a bulkier Choice Band set (probably enough Speed for Alomomola) as any defensive set is generally going to be outclassed by Gourgeist forms unless you absolutely need Natural Cure (which is definitely a nice niche for a spinblocker)

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Just theorymonning here, but what would happen if Donphan, Cloyster, or Milotic dropped from UU? All three are pretty mediocre in UU, and hopefully low ladder will stop abusing them and let them drop, although I think Cloyster could be broken maybe

Could we not theorymon potential drops here? This thread is for players to ask about something in the tier, not what may happen. Plus if the stats at the start of June remain right around the same, we would have a higher chance of getting Haxorus or we could get Slowking back, and Donphan isn't anywhere close to dropping.

Could an offensive Trick Room Trevenant set work ? I mean, it's slow, it gets Trick Room, and has good attack and physical coverage! Just throwing ideas here 'cause I feel bad for it now that everyone and their mum have decided that it's shit tier.

Edit: It can even use that sweet and tasty Trick Room Destiny Bond

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Could an offensive Trick Room Trevenant set work ? I mean, it's slow, it gets Trick Room, and has good attack and physical coverage! Just throwing ideas here 'cause I feel bad for it now that everyone and their mum have decided that it's shit tier.

Edit: It can even use that sweet and tasty Trick Room Destiny Bond
I mean I don't really think it's a shit tier but then again I think OU is a shit tier but literally thousands of people play it so what do I know huh?

As for the OTR set, that actually sounds interesting, might try it out sometime. Trevenant has the bulk (especially with HP investment) to set up TR and has a strong STAB in Wood Hammer. Probably another thing that sounds cool on-paper but mediocre in practice though.

edit: atomicllamas pointed out that you mean trevenant is shit not RU LOL my bad, but tbf thats awkward wording @_@

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
To be fair, trevenant has pretty efficient coverage to run an OTR set and a nice STAB to boot with a respectable 110 base attack, certainly something to test and consider later on.

The closest thing to do Coballion's support job is Mesprit imo, as it can put Stealth Rock and pivot with U-Turn instead of Volt Switch while having decent bulk and offensive capabilities.

The OU council implemented a clause stating that you may not use the move Baton Pass if you have Speed boosted alongside any other boosted stat.

edit: dammit ;_;

phantom

Banned deucer.
Though I'm moreso asking for NU personally, is it possible to quickdrop Venomoth and Smeargle like RU did with Gallade and Medicham when they dropped from OU
I think the cases with the vanilla Pokemon and the Megas are different, and Smeargle/Venomoth are no where close to being NU level Pokemon lol. Don't get your hopes up. Venomoth might be even too much for RU considering it was meant to be suspected, not just for the Quiver Pass set, alongside Froslass before UU swooped in and banned it first.

That's just a joke referring to the fact that the current viability ranking thread was created right after 3 Dragon-types (plus the Dragon-dancing Scrafty) were all added to the tier, causing the domination of what was previously a rather unseen type in RU (though since that title was made 2 out of the 3 dragons were banned lol)

Alright, so I've searched all over and still couldn't find a full answer to this: Scrafty is S-rank and I'm curious as to what's the meta set for him? Is it Dragon Dance? What's generally used the most on Scrafty, and what are the common checks/counters to it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)