ORAS OU Offensive Balanced Ladder Team (Advanced)

Hello,
I need the help of some high ladder players to improve my team. First of all this is a very good team and i am mostly satisfied. You can easily climb up to ~1500 points. But i want to make it perfect. I will mark the pokemon you should take a closer look at.
Generally my team is offensive and it should one hit most threats. I absolutely hate complete stall teams, especially if the opponent thinks a half hour about his next turn. So i want to keep the momentum and exert pressure. I would play Specs and Band only, and amusingly earlier i did it, but if a stall-opponent realizes that, he can easily predict. I have some safe switch-ins and i can afford some mispredictions, but not too many. Now i do not want to bore you anymore so here is my team:

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ice]​

This is the common Calm Mind set. It is pretty solid and works fine for me. With substitute i can avoid status moves and scout some attacks. With one or two set-ups its is very dangerous. HP ice is for dragons like Garchomp or Latias and it wins in every Raikou-Raikou matchup for some reason. Its 361 Speed is nice to outspeed the often-used 350 speeder. Unfortunately it is no one hitter from beginning but it deals some damage every time. It is also my switch in for HP ice Volt-Switchers and Rotom-W.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off​

Landorus is in my team only for coverage. Intimidiate makes it a good switch-in for physical offensive Pokemon like Lopunny, Conceldurr, Garchomp, Tyranitar and many more. But too often i have to switch out right after because Ice Punch is incoming. It also is the only Counter for other Landorus-T's which are scarfed mostly. Knock off is for some predictions and offknocking in general and it can set up rocks. Practically Earthquake is never used except to finish the opponent off if he is already dead. None of its moves make too much damage and it is my most hated pokemon. If you have better Pokemon tell me.
Maybe I have to add it prevents the opponent to lead with Heatran. (Which means i switch in Landorus in first turn because i lead with Cleafable and he switches in Heatran and so on...)

Clefable @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Trick
- Psychic
Clefable is the Pokemon i am most satisfied with. Moonblast one-hits every weak type (except Assault Vest Conceldurr[~90%]). Flamethrower picks up Ferrothorn, Scizor, Metagross, Bisharp, Breloom, Excadrill and it brings Skarmory to one HP. It is a great lead because everyone who has a Garchomp leads with Garchomp (experience). If not it is also a great lead. It also one-hits a lot neutral types. Blisseys, Chanseys and Hippodowns are glad about Choice Specs, like set-uppers generally. Psychic is for Poision Coverage. Unaware is for tanking a boosted Bullet Punch from Scizor and not giving a fuck generally.

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt​

This is a common Choice Specs set. Energy Ball is because i have no Grass Type move and Tbolt turned out to be the best 4th move in practice. Do not get me wrong, Gengar is a strong Pokemon and it can clean up the late game. But it does not make me feel it fits well. Often it makes no one hit despite Choice Specs. And there are a lot Off-knockers. After killing a Pokemon it gets in trouble whith pursuit and it can not kill a full HP Tyranitar or Bisharp.

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse​

Blastoise turned out to be the best spinner for my team. I got some decent problems with rocks and other spinners and defoggers did not fit. It is my switch in for Ice Punch and Knock off. Without Blastoise i have problems with Weavile and Scizor if my Clefable is dead. The EVs are enough for 3 Weavile knock offs. The rest is for more offensive power. For its bulk it can deal some damage thanks to its ability. A little problem is the missing recovery. The moveset needs not to be explained.

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Head Smash
Emboar is also a Pokemon i am very satisfied with. Most times it kills the half team alone. Choice Scarf is necessary because otherwise it would be killed by many sweepers. Its damage is extreme and even a resisted switch can be a two hit. For some reason it is very underestimated and i need not to predict so much. It one hits with every super effective hit. I decided to play Head Smash because i have no Rock Type move and it is safer if you predict a Flying Type to switch out into Ground Type or Volt Absorb/ Lightning Rod. EQ is already used by Landorus and its damage with Emboar is not so good. Because i have enough recoil damage i have to keep rocks away.

General Teamplay:
My team has some decent Problems with hax. One flinch, para, burn or something in mid or lategame can make the difference between win and lose. I also wish i had more power to one hit annoying stallers without sacrifising everything .
It might seem like i am very displeased with my team. But i only need some descent changes to make a good team perfect. I would apreciate some good hints from good players who can speak from experience more than some theoretical damage calculations. Thanks in advance.
Maybe i add some replays later, but its in the middle of the night now and i am tired.

EDIT:
I have created a new account and played some games up to 1200-1300 points. Summed up i lost 3 games, two of them by a skilled opponent and one by hax. Here are the replays:

Gengar and Clefable do their jobs: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-247411683
Teamplay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-247414496
Scarfed Serperior Surprise: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-247417396
Dancing Haxorus: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-247422230
PS: Sorry for bad english.

Last edited:
Hey Super Muchacho, not a bad team you have but I'd recommend a couple of changes.

Your Landorus appears to be stuck half way in between the scarf set (from the evs) and the defensive set (given lefties and stealth rock). I would recommend either giving it an ev spread of 252 HP/240 Def/8 SpD/8 Spe to maximise its bulk or changing to a choice scarf set.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Obviously this would mean putting rocks on a different pokemon, but Clefable is capable of running it and a more standard defensive set is usually preferable over specs anyway. That set would look something like:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard/Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave/Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

This set maximizes Clefable's defensive power, as well as giving it access to key support moves that contribute to Clefable's success in the current meta. If you decide you want to keep rocks on Landorus, the slot on Clefable could easily be used for Calm Mind (though this probably isn't recommended due to your use of the move on Raikou) or Thunder Wave/Fire Blast, whichever you weren't already using.

I would also recommend changing your Emboar into an Infernape, a pokemon with similar or superior coverage, the same typing, is fast enough that it doesn't need a scarf, as well as having mixed coverage and access to priority with Mach Punch.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast/Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Hidden Power Ice/Thunder Punch/Grass Knot

Finally I would recommend switching Choice Specs on Gengar to a life orb, and replacing Energy Ball with Taunt and Thunderbolt with Focus Blast.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

This allows Gengar to switch moves and take full advantage of its amazing Ghost/Poison/Fighting coverage, as well as improving your match up against stall by preventing status moves with Taunt. Further, the power drop between Specs and Life Orb doesn't hinder Gengar's ability to secure 1 and 2hkos against most relevant threats.

I understand this looks like a lot of change, but mostly it's just cleaning up some substandard sets, and I think that making some or all of these changes will improve the team as a whole.

Remember the most important part of team testing: use what works, and have fun battling!

Edit: Added hide tags.

Last edited:
Hello,
I thought there would be more replies but i will put it straight.
Thank you for your hint GotR. I tried around with your ideas. The result is that i found out Landorus and Gengar are my "weakest" Pokemon.

First i abolished Infernape. Emboar turned out to be the better choice. It is stronger generally and one hits threats like Tornadus, Thundrus and many more while with Infernape there are some HP left. Practically Mach Punch is not used very often. The scarf is not a big problem too.
Cefable is my Choice Specs Set again. I can not really set up because i have to switch out soon. TWave was helpful sometimes but with this set i can not one hit Steel Types anymore. It is also not meant to be defensive in my team composition. And as i said i am really satisfied with it.
Landorus is the Defense-Set now. For Choice Scarf it is not powerful enough. It seems like it dies faster than before, because it has to take some more hits. But as a side-effect my Blastoise lives longer now. It also takes sometimes a Pokemon down.
I changed Gengar's item to Life Orb. It doesnt change too much. Taunt is still in my set but i never used it. I kept Energy Ball instead of Focus Miss because i have no Grass Type move. I also tested it before and Tbolt turned out to be the better move (See Gengar Passage). The reason is common normal Types are very damaged by Sludge Wave and Blissey/Chansey generally give no fucks about special attacks. Psyshock would do more but it isnt worth for 2 Pokemon. I also cant do anything to Weavile and Scarf/focus sash Bisharps.

I am convinced to kick out Gengar and Landorus for some stronger Pokemon. Any suggestions? At the moment i can not one hit Azumarill, Hippodon, Goodra and Mega-Alkazam can be very dangerous. I also would change Blastoise if someone has the super proposal.

Last edited:
Since you dislike Landorus-Therian, I would probably run Mixed Wall Hippowdon.

It can stay in on the pokemon you said Landorus-Therian can't, as it doesn't get 2HKO'ed by Ice punch.

I would run Stealth Rock, Earthquake, Slack Off, and Whirlwind.

In my opinion it is a really good phaser and is better than Landorus-Therian in some situations because of semi-reliable recovery in slack off.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)