Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

Timid also lowers attack, with a negative investment is it even powerful enough to 2hko? Also, I'm assuming he's talking about OU, ghost types are uncommon in OU. I guess it depends on the team like I said, but even if you aren't a hazard heavy team, rocks are almost a necessity just due to how good they are. If you have a mon that can learn rapid spin, I'd chose that over defog any day.
0- Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 256-304 (66.4 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Timid Charizard Y EQ is enough to 2HKO the typical SpDef tank set. Of course Focus Blast does the same thing, but you risk the miss.

Firstly a surprised note: You guys use Xenforo! That's awesome. o.o
Okay, so um... I'm new to these forums, and to the whole 'Pokémon Showdown' thing. I literally just discovered it today, and was at a loss for words over it. I've always wanted something like this to exist, and I used to play the old 'Pokémon Crater' back in the day. It was the closest thing to an online battling thing, that didn't require you to actually own the game. Just get on a computer, and play.

---

Yup... and there I go, rambling again... okay, so... my question.
I was originally going to post, and ask two things, but upon reading the Opening Post of this thread, my first question was thankfully answered. I had no idea what the abbreviations "OU, UU, NU, and RU" meant. So now that I know what they mean, here's my other question.

I have a team that I always used in Pokémon Crater, and in every 'online' Pokémon battling instance. However; I never had to choose categories to try and fit it into a specific area. According to the 'Pokémon Showdown' client, my team is composed of mixed categories. This is them:

Charizard, Typhlosion, Arcanine, Torkoal, Ho-Oh, and Moltres. No Megas; I can't stand that super-saiyan wannabe thing. =/

I want to only battle with that team, as I always have in the past. I don't really care about winning, or anything. I just love to battle with my favourite team, and I will not be swapping them out for others. Is there any way that I can just fight with this team, and not have to select a category? The only one in the dropdown list that I assume would work, is the "Anything Goes" option.

Simply put: How can I enter a battle with this team?

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Okay, so um... I'm new to these forums, and to the whole 'Pokémon Showdown' thing. I literally just discovered it today, and was at a loss for words over it. I've always wanted something like this to exist, and I used to play the old 'Pokémon Crater' back in the day. It was the closest thing to an online battling thing, that didn't require you to actually own the game. Just get on a computer, and play.

---

I was originally going to post, and ask two things, but upon reading the Opening Post of this thread, my first question was thankfully answered. I had no idea what the abbreviations "OU, UU, NU, and RU" meant. So now that I know what they mean, here's my other question.

I have a team that I always used in Pokémon Crater, and in every 'online' Pokémon battling instance. However; I never had to choose categories to try and fit it into a specific area. According to the 'Pokémon Showdown' client, my team is composed of mixed categories. This is them:

I want to only battle with that team, as I always have in the past. I don't really care about winning, or anything. I just love to battle with my favourite team, and I will not be swapping them out for others. Is there any way that I can just fight with this team, and not have to select a category? The only one in the dropdown list that I assume would work, is the "Anything Goes" option.

well since you have ho-oh, the only regular (non-om) ladders you could go on would be ubers or anything goes. if you're battling just for fun and not to win, then i recommend that you play anything goes rather than ubers since ubers is more of a 'battle to win' tier whereas anything goes is just for dicking around.

well since you have ho-oh, the only regular (non-om) ladders you could go on would be ubers or anything goes. if you're battling just for fun and not to win, then i recommend that you play anything goes rather than ubers since ubers is more of a 'battle to win' tier whereas anything goes is just for dicking around.
Alright, thank you.
And um... I have another question now, because I just stumbled upon something I kinda dislike.

I understand the account age thing, and I've no qualms over that. My issue is with the requirement of having to win what I assume is a 'ranked' battle. Is that what it is? If so, I highly doubt I'll ever be able to use any of the chats. Winning high ranked battles is definitely not something I'll be capable of, and I disagree that people should be limited on chatting due to their capabilities. That's as bad as discrimination; claiming that only the powerful may speak.

---

...If that's not the case, and my interpretation of the term "Ladder game" is incorrect, then what exactly is it, and can I enter one with my above team?

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, thank you.
And um... I have another question now, because I just stumbled upon something I kinda dislike.

I understand the account age thing, and I've no qualms over that. My issue is with the requirement of having to win what I assume is a 'ranked' battle. Is that what it is? If so, I highly doubt I'll ever be able to use any of the chats. Winning high ranked battles is definitely not something I'll be capable of, and I disagree that people should be limited on chatting due to their capabilities. That's as bad as discrimination; claiming that only the powerful may speak.

---

...If that's not the case, and my interpretation of the term "Ladder game" is incorrect, then what exactly is it, and can I enter one with my above team?
you cant talk because that room is on autoconfirmed chat. accounts become autoconfirmed after a week of existing and of winning at least one ranked battle. it doesnt matter if its a high ranked one or not. this applies to every ladder except "unranked random battle", so just win a game of challenge cup 1v1 or random battles or something if you dont feel like you can win an ag game. you can also pm a room mod (@) or higher and ask them to turn off autoconfirmed, but they might not because of spammers.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Alright, thank you.

---

Thing is, winning a ladder match is way easier than you think. There arealot of people on the low ladder (where everyone starts) that use really bad teams, only bring one Pokemon, and/or simply forfeit/leave before the battle even begins. Even if your team is not the best, I doubt you will have trouble winning a ladder match :]

Thank all you guys for your help :)
However on battling 101 do i have to sign up for the tutoring program cause i couldn't find anywhere where i could just post my question

---

Charizard, Typhlosion, Arcanine, Torkoal, Ho-Oh, and Moltres. No Megas; I can't stand that super-saiyan wannabe thing. =/

I remember Pokemon Crater 0.o. On to the question though. In addition to what has already been mentioned, I suppose you could always set up a custom game with other users; the downside to this is that you will have to find someone willing to play you, rather than just being able to hop into a randomly assigned match. Then again, it's pretty easy to find people to play in the lobby, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Thank all you guys for your help :)
However on battling 101 do i have to sign up for the tutoring program cause i couldn't find anywhere where i could just post my question
Basically, yes. I'm not sure if sign ups are open right now, if not you'll have to wait until the next round.

Well, I have yet another question.
Is there any way that I can join a battle where Pokémon moves are restricted to being only directly damaging?
Like, no Pokémon can have 'status' moves like Recover, Toxic, Rest, Stealth Rock, and other such things. Only moves that deal immediate damage after selecting them.

I know I could probably ferret around, and ask people to battle me like that, but I'd rather it be something server-sided, where there's no chance of the player lying, and bringing status-type moves into battle.

Can I request such a thing to be added somewhere?

My reasoning behind this, is because I only use directly damaging moves myself, and I refuse to use status-type ones. It's been steadily eroding away my fun, and turning into annoyance that people can't just fight. They have to use cowardly tactics, and hide behind things like 'Protect', and 'Substitute'.

There is no such format coded into the server and likely won't be. However, there's this new om you can check out: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/no-status.3542555/

So, you can go to the OM room and ask for no status battles.
Thank you, but no. I cannot chat in any chat-room.
"
Because moderated chat is set, your account must be at least one week old and you must have won at least one ladder game to speak in this room."
I only joined yesterday, and I have absolutely zero chance of winning any kind of 'ranking' thingy.

I also looked at that thread, and went to the 'Aqua Server' that was linked on there, and only two people were there. One was afk, and the other knew no English at all. So I'm still hoping for an alternative.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
How i can leave a coment in a post???
If you mean on a profile post, there should be a blue button on the right hand side of the screen next to that post that says "Comment" that you can click to comment on that post. If you mean in a thread (like this one) hit the "Reply" button in the bottom right hand corner of the post you wish to quote :)

should i sign up for battling 101 if i just need help on my team (pokemon to use/how my team should function and battle techniques) also if so...
When i sign up what is a PO/PS! username?
Thanks in advance :)

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
If you would like help with competitive battling (which I think is what you are asking for) then yes, go ahead. PO=Pokemon Online and PS=Pokemon Showdown (Pokemon Battle Simulators where you can create/use teams)

xzern

for sure
should i sign up for battling 101 if i just need help on my team (pokemon to use/how my team should function and battle techniques) also if so...
When i sign up what is a PO/PS! username?
Thanks in advance :)
if you need help with a specific team then thats what the RMT section is for. in that section, you can post your teams and have others help improve it. learning battling skills, however, is the place of battling 101 and their tutors. i believe that currently, the current round's signups are closed. if you want to do b101, then you'll have to wait for the next round to open up. PO and PS are the two battle sims that smogon uses, but PS more than PO. we only really use PO for old gens for the most part. PS's homepage is right here and it works best on chrome than any other browser.

oh ok thx so do i have to install showdown or can i just do "play online" and what i need the most help in is actually creating a team like out of scratch just around a mega charizard Y (if you want to see what im looking for its in my first post :) ) so not so much in learning about competitively battling atleast for right now, so would a tutor be happy to help me create a team from a blank slate?

xzern

for sure
oh ok thx so do i have to install showdown or can i just do "play online" and what i need the most help in is actually creating a team like out of scratch just around a mega charizard Y (if you want to see what im looking for its in my first post :) ) so not so much in learning about competitively battling atleast for right now, so would a tutor be happy to help me create a team from a blank slate?
you can install it if you'd rather use that client, but i can tell you right now that using it on chrome is the better option. i assume that you're talking about ou when it comes to building a char-y team, also, but since i dont know that tier very well, the best i can do is redirect you to the ou subforum where they have tons of resources geared towards newer players, like the good cores thread. you can also try asking the ou q&a to help you build your team, or maybe even the competitive tutoring room on ps. i hope i helped, and good luck with your team.

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
You don't have to install Showdown, as online is just as great, if not better. As for a team around Megazard Y, take a look at Charizard's Dex page here. It's got some movesets and lists good team options for the Pokemon. You can sign up for the Tutoring Program, when the next round starts, if you'd like.

thx the direction helped alot :) on the team building part just not sure whether or not whether to join the battling 101 anymore.
also thanks for wishing me goodluck

Reading over the charizard dex page REALLY helping :) thx for the direction
Oh and waiting for a response from the ou forums bt im pretty sure it'll help alot to:)

Last edited:
I suppose this is the place to ask this, so here it goes:

I'm working on a rain team and I want to go use Agility Ampharos-Mega. And I need advice on a good offense core for her to be worked into. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Pokemon X and Pokemon Y are compatible with Pokemon ORAS. However, you will not be able to use any Mega Evolutions introduced in ORAS (such as Pidgeot, Sableye, Altaria, etc.) in Pokemon X and Y, similar to how you couldn't use Origin Forme Giratina in Diamond and Pearl but you could in Platinum.
Thank you for the info! I decided to get alpha sapphire I can't wait to start up again!

xzern

for sure
I suppose this is the place to ask this, so here it goes:

I'm working on a rain team and I want to go use Agility Ampharos-Mega. And I need advice on a good offense core for her to be worked into. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
i assume that you're talking about ou when it comes to this ampharos team. i'm going to give you the same advice that i gave to someone else a few posts ago redirect you to the ou subforum where they have a bunch of new-player-friendly projects and information bases, like the good cores thread. you can also try asking the ou q&a to help you build your team, or maybe even the competitive tutoring room on ps. good luck!

I don't know if this has been posted before, sorry.

When setting gifs as your profile picture, how are you guys able to make it so clear while maintaining the size limit? I've used resizers but they either can't make the gif a small enough file size or it just comes out in very low resolution.

Also, are only badge holders allowed to have those little messages below their name? For example, -Clone- has "mfw facing stall" and xzern has "can hentai kill you?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)