Art Contest: Smogon's Front Page Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
oh dear heavens me, so much stuff to reply too :O

I'm sorry if this seems like threadhogging now, but here's a major update that is Diggersby! He's either flexing because of the translated Japanese name of Huge Power, which is Muscle Man, or he could be saying, "Fight me in real life!" Maybe both. Who knows?
Simple yet elegant. To make it simplier to collect all of the important features in the final circle, see if you can bring its left ear (our right) a little closer to the body. Also, considering the way the arm-ears fold, its right shoulder should be covered by its muddy earhand, and not the other way around. And lastly, just giving it a little more of a smile could brighten its appearance signficantly, although that choice is yours :)

Here are some quick sketches, will still be quite a while though before I can find the time to draw them out digitally. I always thought Mega Manectric had a pretty cool design, even though it is very stiff and hard to draw in a dynamic pose.
Any feedback would be appreciated, so I can edit the sketches accordingly before starting with the actual image. ;)
aXl has already said what I essentially wanted to say, although the sizes relative to the circles are irrelavent since I'll be the one applying them. I can already say that I'll be focusing more on their bodies when circling them, meaning that Manectric's and Gallade's feet will probably not make it since the floor is hardly important to feature. But good of you to keep in mind the final image and plan ahead based on that. Your sketches already seem highly promising, and I'm eager to see how they'll look in the end!

HAWWWW...
LUUUUUUU...
CHYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!:

... Is my first entry! Thoughts and stuff? He'll be my red for the red-blue-green pattern thing.
Dy-NAMIC! As a stand-alone picture, it has a lot of flare and really draws in the attention. But, when considering the end result of this contest, I can't say that this approach was the best to take. I've taken the liberty to scale it down to the images' current size and then encircle it:

First off, the image is very wide, which makes it hard to showcase the entire length of it, while at the same time not making it too small or create empty spaces. And while the colored lineart is swell, at this scale it gets hard to notice the subtle things on the image's left side, such as its hands and top of its head, so a darker lineart would be preferrable. If you already knew what the original picture looked like, then it wouldn't be as difficult, but would a visitor that has never seen the source picture understand what's happening? You judge that one for yourself.

Note: You do not need to set those circles yourself, just design with them in mind.

Hawlucha is a cool mon though, so you made a cool choice, but I'd advise you to consider how it'll look in the end and choose a pose that's not as demanding space-wise.

Heres my pre alpha sketch of Talonflame. Could I get some feedback before I color it in? (the smudge on the right wing is from the scanner)View attachment 44710
If I'm gonna be honest, your Talonflame looks fairly stale, since we're given a frontal full view of its body with its head looking to the right. In other words, it looks like it's posing for a camera, trying to stay still midair. Its wings, while appropriate for most bird mons, don't specifically fit Talonflame that well, since if you look closer to its art, you'll notice how the end of its wings have much longer feathers, and that the width of its wings isn't even across their full length.

This is a nice drawing overall and one you shouldn't give up on, but if you want it to stand above the others, you need to pick a more active pose and give its anatomy a closer look. But yeah, Talonflame is an excellent choice to illustrate.

hello new here >< saw the contest from smogon's facebook post and decided to join in

here is my 2 sketches for the red and green colour scheme , and still deciding which pokemon should i draw for the blue one

feedbacks are welcome!! : ))
Nothing really for me to critique in this stage, both of these sketches are lovely. Mega Gardevoir could possibly use a more daring angle, like slightly from above or below, but either of those poses would look nice!

I chose Talonflame for this. Wings of freedom pls

This is my first digital drawing, I don't have scaner so I made a photo with my mobile phone and I used the pen tool of Photoshop with my mouse (I don't have tablet) to make the Lineart that I colored after. I'm a noob coloring so if you are interested in this Talonflame's pose for the web (probably not), a pro can recolor my lineart.

Lineart:

With color:
I'd recommend reinforcing the lineart by making it thicker overall, particularly around its feet, since it'll be shrunken down considerably in the end and your current lineart won't be as visible as it is now. Furthermore, this picture is also very tall, which will make it difficult to include all the cool features in a perfect circle. This is a quick attempt I made:

As you can see, there were plenty of features I had to give in order to showcase most of its body and face, such as its talon, wing tips, and back feathers. The end result is okay, but watching a Talonflame taking flight away from the user doesn't make for an exciting angle. And as a final point, the lighting seems to be coming from both the left and right, so some consistency would be nice there.

I would like to say though that the rules (unless I read something wrong but I read them over 4 time) did not say anything against making the Pokemon a little unique with your own style, yet it needs to look like the Pokemon.
All artists have their own particular style, even when there are limitations set in place like the ones for this contest. However, there's a difference between having minor variations, and including very different body features or builds, and since this contest aims to create images for the front page, new users need to be able to easily identify the Pokemon featured. So if there are certain things that don't add up, or anatomically flawed to such a certain point, it will only serve to complicate things.

However, you're right in that this wasn't explicitly stated in the first post, so I'll work on adding a snippet referring that. You're still free to submit your version of Charizard X, but visible recemblance is something I will consider when judging these entries, so straying too far away from the official designs will be something disadvantageous in this contest.

Last edited:

Pent

dumb broad
How do you people draw megagross I can barely draw weedle.

So this is a sketch of Mega Lopunny. I've revamped this so much, Im shitting rainbows.

image.jpg

EDIT: This will be for red hopefully.
EDIT 2: Added Lineart and basic color layer.
Finished with Lopunny.

Okay, I have a Sylveon done.
image.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

asgdf

could've been worse
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
Damn that's some quality art itt. Anyway, here's what I've got so far:

I'm not 100% happy with the posture, tried to make it different from the official art somehow. Is that rather plain side view ok or is it too boring?

Pent

dumb broad
Damn that's some quality art itt. Anyway, here's what I've got so far:

I'm not 100% happy with the posture, tried to make it different from the official art somehow. Is that rather plain side view ok or is it too boring?
Sylveon is really hard to look, well, intimidating. Since it's rather pink and cutesy, and it does seem rather hard one to tackle. (Don't worry, I know. I tried it myself.) But you didn't do too bad. The tail and right ribbon are a little off, the ribbon not being consistent in the line work, and the tail being to thin and too sharp looking. The belly/chest doesn't line up with the main body of the front bow, which makes it looks kinda weird, and the ears are missing the blue insides, other than that, it looks good so far. ^^

Why isn't heatran, lando-t or garchomp on here? They're good and on the out usage they're pretty upnthere wit garchomp, heatran and clefable at the top.

WIP Lines for Chesnaught, pretty much the only thing I'm set on doing. I plan on doing full linearts for all three before starting on coloring, that way they'll be consistent with each other. But yeah, can't wait to color this. +)

EDIT: More WIP lines, this time for Mega Diancie. These are a bit rougher, since I created them by hand then isolated them in Photoshop rather than simply doing the entire thing digitally. Similar product though, so I'll probably do something similar for my third 'mon.
upload_2015-7-3_14-13-30.png upload_2015-6-30_17-50-35.png

hello new here >< saw the contest from smogon's facebook post and decided to join in

here is my 2 sketches for the red and green colour scheme , and still deciding which pokemon should i draw for the blue one

feedbacks are welcome!! : ))

edit 7/1 : did lineart and color for mega scizor and mega gardevoir and sketched mega charizard x. going to refine the color soon
these pieces look excellent! The only thing that really sticks out to me is how Mega Scizor's head spikes are curved, but that really is just a minor oversight. Again, great job with these, can't wait to see how MCX comes out!

Last edited:
upload_2015-7-7_12-47-37.png
bump

Still haven't decided on my third, but figured I'd do Diancie's colors in the mean time partly because I was binging Madoka Magica this past weekend. Still a WIP as there are a few things I wouldn't mind doing a bit more with, but I feel the art is in a good state as of now. Going to shrink it for final subs, of course. +)

Pent

dumb broad
I think I'm gonna drop out tbh
All you guys are doing amazing, and I'm just not feeling motivation like last time, kinda having an art break.

Have fun everybody else though, And I hope Axl wins.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Almost half the time has passed you guys, but I like what I've seen so far! Don't have the time to go in-depth, but I'd like to comment on certain posts:

Pedro Larez First contestant I believe who slams a complete submission in their very first post in this thread. All three are good in my book, but you might wanna add some contact info to your profile or PM me the same info, would be a shame for you to score a high position and then have no one to contact with the rewards.

Roadsama Loving your updated post on page 1, makes for a strong contender once Char X is out of the drawing pad. Gardevoir's hand seems rather strange, but I don't have much time to compare it to the official art so you may very well have an accurate rendition of it, but it never hurts to make a second check.

Billsworth III Very nice Heracross. It has a very cool pose and fits well within the future circle, but do mind the variety in lineart width. It's excellent to have some variety, but going too far makes it seem rushed (compare the width of the lines around its left hand and orange stripes). Also, its lower foot is cropped, but you knew that already.

Jeronado Very nice sketches! Before you go into the final lineart, I recommend studying Mega Metagross' claws some more, as they're curved and not all that straight.

asgdf Very smooth and colorful, but as others have suggested, you can give the official art another glance. Your ribbons are rather thin and ropelike, and the head anatomy makes it seem more of a realistic rendition of the animal it's based on rather than Sylveon itself. All of its attention is also directed towards the side. The entries does not need to have eye contact with the viewer, but if they're seen purely from the side with their gaze away from the viewer, then the image does get sorta flat and doesn't 'pop' as much (ie jumping out of the screen).

Froxxy631 A noble effort! Its arms seem rather stiff however, so see if you can make it bend at least one of them so that it seems more relaxed. Also see if you can smoothen out the shading, particularly on its belly, those white strokes does clash with the rest of the drawing.

TrainerSplash Loving the angle of this one. See if you can revisit the lineart again just to remove some loose ends sticking out here and there, but after that cleanup, that one looks ready to go. Looking forward your other two mons! Your second Scizor entry seems to have a bigger lower body and legs than usual, so see if you can tone thheir size down a notch. The white part of its right hand fang doesn't seem to match up with the red part in length, so see if you can shorten the red or lengthen the white.

Mega Lotad Aaaawesome. Do remember that these images will be considerably much smaller if they end up on the front page, so a more visible lineart would do them well, so that their features are easily seen even on a smaller scale. The shading on Altaria's clouds could also be more generous, lots of room for white highlights on there, and they don't need to be limited to the very center of the cloud puffs either.

aXl I hate drawing Mega Diancie myself, so seeing you pull off that design so well brings tears to my eyes. Solid contribution.

habajiga Very dynamic pose, but see if you can connect the lineart by giving it a more coherent width, as right now it's thick in certain places and barely visible in others.

Thanks for everyone's contributions so far!

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
Now I just need to decide on my third...
May I suggest Mega Kangaskhan or Aegislash? I think they would compliment the color schemes of the two you have so far. Just thought I could help with a suggestion. (ps Diancie and Chesnaught look amazing nice job :])

Well here is a pretty rough sketch of Mega Gallade that I whipped up but Im not sure it would go very well in the circle so I need your guys help and suggestions on what I should do. Do I go with it or try to modify it in a certain way(for example its cape)? Anyways thanks in advance :)

Attachments

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to drop out because I'm going to be busy with summer school and I couldn't decide on what my third Pokemon was going to be. Good luck to everyone, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)