Amiibo General Discussion

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Hello everyone! Amiibo have been first released the same that both ORAS and Super Smash Brothers for Wii U. Since then so much Amiibo were announced along with some at E3 to add to the current line up. Some Interact with one game some interact with multiple. They unlock or add new feature to the gameplay. Do you collect Amiibo? Are you planning on getting your hands on any of the up coming or current ones? What features are you looking forward to in certain games such as Yoshi's Wolly World or Super Mario Maker? Which Amiibo do you own do you like it and it's quality and what games do you own that works with Amiibo?
LET'S DISCUSS AMIIBO!

The current Amiibo line up consist of:
Super Smash Brothers: Mario, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Princess Peach, Marth, Yoshi, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Pit, Princess Zelda, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Diddy Kong, Little Mac, Bowser, Toon Link, Sheik, Ike, Lucario, Rosalina and Luma, Shulk, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Robin, Lucina, Charizard, Wario, PAC-MAN, Ness, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Dark Pit, Goddess Palutena, Zero Suit Samus, Ganondorf, Pikmin and Olimar, Dr. Mario, Duck Hunt, Mr. Game and Watch, Falco, all 3 Mii Fighters, R.O.B., Bowser Jr. and Mewtwo. Sakurai stated that Lucas, Ryu and Roy will all have Amiibo too.
Animal Crossing: Isabelle, Lottie, Reese, Lottie, Tom Nook, Cyrus, Mabel, K.K. Slider, and Digby. There are also cards that work with Home Designer.
Chibi Robo: Chibi Robo.
Splatoon: Inkling Boy, Inkling Girl and Inkling Squid.
Super Mario Series: Mario, Princess Peach, Bowser, Luigi, Gold Mario, Silver Mario, Toad, and Yoshi.
Yoshi's Wolly World: Green Yarn Yoshi, Pink Yarn Yoshi and Light Blue Yarn Yoshi.
Skylanders: Super Charged: Super Charged Donkey Kong, and Super Charged Bowser.
Super Mario Maker/30th Mario Anni: 8-Bit Mario (NES colors), 8-Bit Mario (modern colors)
Shovel Knight: Shovel Knight

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but...I just really don't get the point of them? I mean with Skylanders I get the basic idea it lets you use or mix & match whatever creature, and for the Disney knockoff it lets you play the particular character in their sandbox game. Even the upcoming Lego one it's about using the minifig.

But for Nintendo it just...helps you select Mario in Smash Bros if you're too lazy to move the control stick? Or do they like unlock some other function (in which case why hadn't anyone just ripped their RFID info for?). I dunno, but to me it's the most half baked of the 3 main competing products out there, their whole purpose could use some more explanation. And Nintendo ironically had the chance to lock up exclusive rights to Skylanders, but wanted to do their own thing later.

I have my own sizeable figure collection but Amiibos never crossed my mind right until they showed Rosalina and now the Yarn Yoshis. I've played SMW since I was 5 and absolutely adore the Blue Yoshi, so whenever it arrives I'd be happy to review it.

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I love collecting Amiibo. especially as I've never had a real collection of anything before.

Being realisitc with my money, though - I'm only collecting the Smash Bros Series atm - and have a sizeable collewction.

As for the firgures themselves I love the poses and they're pretty nice quality - certainly something to really dress up a shelf or two. I don't feel I've justified paying for each of them just yet - I'm hoping more games will be further available for interaction.

Also missing from the OP is the Skylanders x Amiibo pair (DK + Bowser)

This is an older picture, but I Currently have 2 full complete sets of them, oine for outside the box, and another I'm keeping in the box.

Also Palutena has one realy large hand and ugly face :I

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I have my own sizeable figure collection but Amiibos never crossed my mind right until they showed Rosalina and now the Yarn Yoshis. I've played SMW since I was 5 and absolutely adore the Blue Yoshi, so whenever it arrives I'd be happy to review it.
If I remember correctly, all the Yoshi amiibo and Wolly World world are already out... just not in America, seriously out everywhere except here.
I love collecting Amiibo. especially as I've never had a real collection of anything before.

Being realisitc with my money, though - I'm only collecting the Smash Bros Series atm - and have a sizeable collewction.

As for the firgures themselves I love the poses and they're pretty nice quality - certainly something to really dress up a shelf or two. I don't feel I've justified paying for each of them just yet - I'm hoping more games will be further available for interaction.

Also missing from the OP is the Skylanders x Amiibo pair (DK + Bowser)

This is an older picture, but I Currently have 2 full complete sets of them, oine for outside the box, and another I'm keeping in the box.

Also Palutena has one realy large hand and ugly face :I
it's so beautiful oh my gosh, I never understood how people found the money to buy two of each. I've been wanting to get my hands on Peach and Greninja for awhile now, haha.
And yeah the DK and Bowser Super Chargers did cross my mind, I just wasn't sure to add them or not since they are also technically Skylander figures.

I just ordered me a Rosalina Amiibo off of target. IDEK if it's still up, though it seems plausible.

The only ones I'm interested in are Yoshi, King Dedede, and Megaman. I'd never think to get a MM figurine on my own-- I even had a chance to get them when I was living in Japan-- but the bonuses from the amiibo made it worthwhile I guess. King Dedede has a woeful amount of merchandise available so I want that one (still can't get it ugggh) and I eat up any and all Yoshi merch so that was my obvious first go-to.

Honestly though fuck amiibo, as Outlaw said they're just shitty physical DLC.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Ya know, I can't argue that they are physical DLC. I wouldn't they are shitty though, the detail on them is pretty nice to look at and stuff, and just having them on your desk or something, I they just have that certain charm to them. As Yoshi King stated, it is more fun to get the characters that don't have much merchandise, specifically here in the states, I don't think I have seen any Kirby Merch or something from Kid Icarus. And the only real reason I think they are non-posable is because they are based Smash's Trophy, which when they were first announced they said they were inspired the Melee intro.

Also Mewtwo Amiibo is in the prototype stage!

Ya know, I can't argue that they are physical DLC. I wouldn't they are shitty though, the detail on them is pretty nice to look at and stuff, and just having them on your desk or something, I they just have that certain charm to them. As Yoshi King stated, it is more fun to get the characters that don't have much merchandise, specifically here in the states, I don't think I have seen any Kirby Merch or something from Kid Icarus. And the only real reason I think they are non-posable is because they are based Smash's Trophy, which when they were first announced they said they were inspired the Melee intro.

Also Mewtwo Amiibo is in the prototype stage!
Prototwo is looking good already. Just a little bit of touchups on the details, and we're good.

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
All amiibo look to be based on their classic mode trophy. Here is a picture of the remaining (non DLC) amiibo; 8bit Mario, Chibi Robo and Animal Crossing Amiibo.

I really like the look of some of these. Shame there aren't any images of the alternate Game and Watch ones, but eh...

If I recall correctly, Pokemon's probably not going to get any of their own amiibo outside of Smash Bros. 4 any time soon due to how protective Game Freak, even Junichi Masuda, is of that particular self-contained series. I mean, they don't seem to be compatible with anything else other than Super Mario Maker, right?

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
If I recall correctly, Pokemon's probably not going to get any of their own amiibo outside of Smash Bros. 4 any time soon due to how protective Game Freak, even Junichi Masuda, is of that particular self-contained series. I mean, they don't seem to be compatible with anything else other than Super Mario Maker, right?
Were the Pokemon ones even confirmed to work with Mario Maker? I'd honestly love to see the 8-bit Pikachu from Yellow work in Mario Maker. Since Pokken Tournament is coming to the US, I'm wondering if they are planning to use the amiibo, many of the characters used in Smash are in Pokken fighters as well, and seeing how most of the figures with different sculpts all work for the same purpose such as both Marios working for Smash and Mario related games.

All amiibo look to be based on their classic mode trophy. Here is a picture of the remaining (non DLC) amiibo; 8bit Mario, Chibi Robo and Animal Crossing Amiibo.
They are based off classic mode. Their Classic mode trophies are based off their official artwork. Most amiibo are based off their official artwork of the franchise it was made for. Mario series Mario looks like one of his official poses, the Pikachu looks like his smash art work, the Inklings look like their Splatoon artwork, etc.

I also just recently got a PAC-MAN amiibo at target yesterday. You can see the seems and where it's supposed to be put together, and the eyebrow bulges don't seem to be fully painted either. Other than that it seems to have a great sculpt.

TrainerSplash Wait, never mind. I was clearly mistaken when I said stuff about Super Mario Maker. As such, Pokemon is once again heavily self-contained outside of the Smash Bros. series. Do be aware that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, the Nobunaga's Ambition crossover, and Pokken Tournament do not count because they only feature Pokemon characters/species.

Anyway, I really want an Olimar amiibo, as he is my main. On a side note, I wonder why he never received any voice acting at all (not even the Simlish style from Pikmin 2), unlike every other character?

EDIT: Alfalfa Never mind, Pac-Man, Mega Man, and Villager are speechless as well. My mistake.

Last edited:
TrainerSplash Wait, never mind. I was clearly mistaken when I said stuff about Super Mario Maker. As such, Pokemon is once again heavily self-contained outside of the Smash Bros. series. Do be aware that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, the Nobunaga's Ambition crossover, and Pokken Tournament do not count because they only feature Pokemon characters/species.

Anyway, I really want an Olimar amiibo, as he is my main. On a side note, I wonder why he never received any voice acting at all (not even the Simlish style from Pikmin 3), unlike every other character?
Pac-Man doesn't have an in-game voice. I don't think Duck Hunt does either (of course, the former was a really stupid idea to put into Smash anyways....)

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Just got my Blue Yarn Yoshi from Japan and (this is my figure fanpage if intrested):

OMG SILVER YOSHI. Or is that just an ingame thingy? We need an otaku here...also:

They look like costumes. I think we would have heard more news about those if they were actual amiibo. speaking of silver amiibos, I missed out on the chance to get myself the silver mario at best buy yesterday >_<

Oh really oh well, yeah it would have been pulled on sites like Kotaku is it was true. Don't worry just wait for a while and you can buy them cheap online after most have got theirs unless this is a one time print, which is stupid (I'm seeing 18$ for one on ebay).

If only Rosalina would drop in price...

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Shovel Knight amiibo was announced at PAX, iirc the Game Grumps helped introduce it. It's said to be able to work with other games and not just itself.

Shovel Knight and Game Grumps confirmed for Smash?

Don't care about amiibo, but for anyone who is interested, I think this video might confirm some new figures coming out later.
I got most of what the sprites were, but quite a few of the misc ones outside of Slippy and Peppy looked really random.

Am I the only one who didn't have much trouble finding Marth + Little Mac? I got them both for about $35 off of Amazon, which is still a little pricy in terms of amiibo (retail value) I guess, but it was well worth it. Amiibo hunting in-store is so fun, but it's just so impossible in my area. Only place I've ever gotten anything of interest was at GameStop, which had the retro three-pack and the Olimar amiibo, and Zero Suit Samus! Where are some nice places to go shopping for amiibo?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)