League of Legends: Let's Talk About uhhh??

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
that thing is so fucking cool wtf

legit thatts so awesome i can almost feel myself harvesting xpeke's power

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
what I wanna know is what the hell is that Kassadin's build he can kill a full-health nexus that quickly

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Yo whats up Smogon LoL players
Recently I've been playing Voli top a lot. I dominate early often, but I find myself getting easily kited and peeled away in teamfights, and struggle to get a flip on/focus down a backliner. How do I play Voli late to his best potential, and is there shit I should build? Also, Flash or Ghost? (I'm Gold V so you guys have a rough estimate of my skill level)

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
That's the nature of playing Volibear (or Udyr, or any other early-game powerhouse without a gapcloser...). If you want to avoid getting kited then take Flash and be very patient when in a teamfight. Let the engage happen, wait for their ADC to get greedy for an autoattack (and in Gold V they will), then flash fling them right back into your team. Don't blow fling on anyone other than their ADC/APC.

Finally, ask bottom lane to ward behind the enemy tower, and teleport down to dive the enemy bot lane early and often. Volibear excels at this in the early game and this will win you way more games than just pushing to their top inner tower.

For the build you absolutely want Righteous Glory, Randuins, and Spirit Visage pretty much every game. I'd recommend a Sunfire rush if you're winning top because Sunfire+Righteous Glory will take full advantage of your early power spike in terms of being able to dominate the map and make plays bottom lane.

Outside of this just accept that you're playing a champion that is supposed to win lane, so getting kited is part of the package. If you absolutely can't have an impact on a teamfight then buy a upgraded sweeper and pink ward and sit in their jungle with your team and try to make picks. Split pushing is probably a poor option both because solo queue players are bad and Volibear is a weak tower-pusher.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Ty guys, is great advice!
@ Acklow - my build path is similar to what UncleSam mentioned, and I rush Sunfire most often unless I'm facing AP top, in which case Visage rush.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I would just go cowl into RG or Sunfire if I'm in an ap matchup. Visage rush only if they have more than one fed AP champ. Getting that early RG helps sustain better than visage in lane, while having some armor from Sunfire really helps if you are going to be team fighting mid game.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Oh, the volibear top is actually a favorite of mine (although it's been some time since i've last played it). most build advices i've seen here are pretty accurate, but there's something I haven't seen people mentioning that you should definitely try: Frozen Mallet. An early-mid game Volibear with Righteous Glory, Frozen Mallet and tier 2 boots (Swiftness being my favorite, but Mercury Treads and Tabi are equally good) is a pain in the ass to deal with (especially in low Gold where people are still likely to mess up with kiting). The high amount of HP mallet gives also goes pretty well with Volibear's W scaling, which is a plus. However, it's also important to mention it's rare to find situations in which you can afford to go RG + Mallet right away. The best match up to build Mallet on is probably against Hecarim, as it allows you to mess up with him pretty hard, but there are probably more, especially if you manage to snowball.

Some other build advice for Top Voli:
  • Doran's Blade is even better on him than most bruisers, due to W's scaling. It's one of the few champs in which I actually build 2x Doran's due to its early game dominant nature.
  • Distortion are core on Voli. Dunno if I can stress this enough, but the reduced CD on both Flash and Teleport helps a fuckton with playmaking
  • Sunfire is a good item if you need to shove your lane (against better TP gankers for example), but I'm actually not too fond of it. I usually just ult the creeps if I desperately need to push and build Randuin's as my Armor item (unless I'm against something which requires me to build Armor ASAP i.e. Trynda, Riven and alike, as Randuin rush is too expensive to afford under most circumstances)
That should be it I guess. Try to group up with your team as fast as you can and just dominate the mid game, set up TP ganks with your bot lane (as it's already been mentioned I think). Also, if you can't afford to get an early Mallet, remember that it's a fine pick up as a 5th or even 6th item n_n

edit: formatting was fucked up fsr, fixed

I use ghost on volibear jungle because im gold and players are bad. People feed you constantly and it helps your ganks a lot. It is good for teamfighting with merc treads considering he has his Q, righteous glory, and now another MS boost in ghost. A tanky guy who moves really fast is something low elo players get ran over against when playing the popular champions like Jinx.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
I use ghost on volibear jungle because im gold and players are bad. People feed you constantly and it helps your ganks a lot. It is good for teamfighting with merc treads considering he has his Q, righteous glory, and now another MS boost in ghost. A tanky guy who moves really fast is something low elo players get ran over against when playing the popular champions like Jinx.
yo, check this guy out if you're interested in some voli jungle action: http://euw.op.gg/summoner/userName=sirberlinstyle. he's a jungle voli one trick pony (whom i've had the pleasure of playing against actually) and he does some pretty fancy stuff on volibear. with that said, I kinda feel that flash is an essential part of jungle volibear as it allows you to cheese people early in the game (that guy i just linked you to does level 2 ganks with Q + E and flash, it's pretty nasty when it works lol) and remains useful later in the game, altho I do admit that walking all over dudes with ghost is pretty hilarious, but you get the point @ flash n_n

I know how staple flash is. A lot of the time it is the only spell you could use. Ghost is more of a flavor choice if anything, it sucks vs a good amount of teams but its solid vs a lot of the teams which don't have the cc to stop you and use Ekko or champs like Lucian who just don't have the damage to kill you. I don't normally get Q at level two but its an interesting idea

I'll check that guy out. I was meaning to check out some of the guys from this list too. http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueofleg...ers_who_play_one_champion_in_the_majority_of/

theoretically smite + flash voli top with cinderhulk should be quite strong as well since skirmisher's is really strong on him, he does a fine job clearing the early jungle, and you get to "skip" sunfire and go straight for more tanky stats

the only issue is that you're giving up TP advantage but that shouldn't be a huge issue

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
you can flip tanks too man, you just flip the enemy volibears away from your squishies so they can't get in like how you can't get to theirs

BLINGAS more like ZILEAS amirite

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)