Support Mons, Trick Room Setters, and Cresselia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Soooo a recent frustration I've had with trick room is Cresselia. Seeing as how I can't talk about it in ps chat (we had a good discussion going) without getting muted every 5 minutes I thought I'd post here.

Now Cress.

Lots of people like cress. It's often an auto-pick on a myriad of tr teams. I like it too, and most people run cm cress for it's nice lategame sweep.

But it also has loads of weaknesses, most prominently of which would be taunt, and lack of offensive presence. Not packing protect often makes it extremely vulnerable to easy double targets, and its low unbooosted SpA stat means it doesn't hurt unless it has 2+ cms up.

Admittedly, its late game sweep is great. But, as Stratos has mentioned in the past, it faces many weaknesses even after getting its cms up, such as burn, kang, dark types, weather conditions limiting moonlight, strong physical stab super effective hits (ie knock offs, etc), among other things like taunt.

Another weakness is its lack of offensive presence. You set tr and then... the field becomes a 1v2. That's never good. It's the same reason that jelly/pumpkin tend to be unpopular: they can't hit things hard and suffer from taunt.

Let me put it this way. A good tr player will predict taunt and just attack with their mon. Essentially, they pull in free damage. You can't do that with cresselia, jelly, or pumpkin, or slowking, etc.

What I want to discuss is the possibility of just not using Cress in Trick Room.

(Discuss!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)