Role Playing Philosopher's Stone War V - Postgame

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This is a game of stealth and intrigue. Game strategy can pan around building defensive structures, discovering the identity (and powers) of the enemy champions, forming tense alliances, and attacking your enemy before they see you coming. Because this is Dungeons & Dragons, your options are limited only by your creative problem solving ability.

This is a roleplaying game. Half the fun is roleplaying as badass legendary heroes, accompanied of course by a wizard with whatever personality you wish. You are allowed to talk with other players about the game in character when contact is made. Otherwise, you are not. This is not a balance rule, it’s to immerse you in this isolated and dangerous world where another player could be lurking around the next dark corner, not “a pm away”.

Some flexibility is required in when you can play this game. On some days you can send in a game plan and be unimpeded. But sooner or later, players will meet up and these interactions must be run in real time with the DM as arbiter. These encounters should be swift (average an hour) and ran as soon as possible. An IRC channel, #flamel, exists to help the game run smoothly.

Changes
PSW V is by far the largest departure from previous games in the series. Since the start of PSW IV a new edition of D&D, 5th edition, has been released. As I very much like this system, and as I feel it's a better fit for PSW, we will be using that. Further though, it has been heavily modified by me. This was always in the works, but a new system provided extra incentive and 5e is very easy to modify.

Relevant 5e changes:
  • Movement and attack options are streamlined, offering more potential complexity when taking turns (it is now possible to kick open a door and move through it in one movement).
  • Bonus and penalties are replaced with the advantage/disadvantage system. When you have adv, you roll twice and take the higher roll to determine a result. When you have dis, you take the lower roll. Adv/dis provides a simple way to reward creative players.
  • Magic is heavily downscaled.
  • Bounded accuracy means that even low level enemies are able to harm high level characters.
Modifications:
  • Combat now uses an RPS system. Each champ will be designed with attacks assigned to Rock, Paper, and Scissors, each with varied and useful affects. When an opponent is beat in an RPS clash, the victor will have adv while the loser will have dis. Learning your opponent's moves and fighting inclinations is a must to succeed.
  • Summoners will be built from the ground up as Champions are. Each should be highly specialized and unique. Be sure to brainstorm ideas for this.
  • Ability scores are virtually non-existent, with skills being made up entirely by the player.
  • Saves will now work on a Hit Point system. There are Combat, Reflex, Fortitude, and Will saves. Com replaces Str, Ref replaces Dex, Fort replaces Con, Will replaces Int, Wis, and Cha.

Knight, Defensive Martial Champion
The Knight excels at taking hits, while still being able to physically threaten other classes. The Knight’s true specialty, however, lies in protecting her summoner, lending it to a play style where the player is never directly in harm’s way. The Knight does not require a literal knight legendary figure. Any myth that revolves around protection can be considered for the Knights. Previous Knights include Tyr, Don Quixote, Jeanne D'Arc, and Samson.
Innate Ability: Knight's Cover. Prevents the Knight's Summoner from being hurt when within 60 feet.
RPS Combat Style: The Knight is allowed some damage dealing capability, but mostly relies on taking as little damage as possible.

Berserker, Offensive Martial Champion
The Berserker is the strongest and simplest class of all in direct combat, overwhelming foes with unstoppable physical might and superhuman endurance. However, the Berserker is shackled by a continual madness in exchange for this incredible power. Any legendary warrior that has displayed anger can be summoned as the Berserker. Previous Berserkers include Herakles, Hervor, and Dian Wei.
Innate Ability: Berserker's Rage. The Berserker has three levels of rage that empower her. These are activated once per turn using a Berserk Attack, a damage bonus to regular RPS attack. The first level prevents the champion from speaking but adds extra damage. The second level prevents uses of skills, reduces AC, but adds to hit. The third level puts the Berserker completely out of control, having her attack at random, but gaining further damage.
RPS Combat Style: Kill the enemy as quickly as possible. No one has the damage potential of Berserker.

Monk, Defensive Skill Class
The Monk is a scrapper in a fight, holding out against superior opponents until the chance for victory arrives. The Monk controls the flow of RPS battle, setting up victory conditions that become more certain as battles drag on. An innate spiritual awareness gives them more options outside of battle as well. Any skilled brawler of spiritual man can be a Monk. Previous Monks include St. Anthony and Thomas Aquinas.
Innate Ability: Monk's Divination. The Monk can detect uses of magic in a wide area around her, both instantaneous and ongoing.
RPS Combat Style: The Monk counterattacks when an opponent misses due to disadvantage. Combo attacks have increasingly devastating effects, so long as they keep hitting. Otherwise concerned with defense and battlefield tactics.

Assassin, Offensive Skill Class
The Assassin is in her element when she is stalking her prey, silently observing before moving in for the kill. The Assassin specializes in striking devastating attacks before the start of combat, but also in taking advantage of an opponent's weakness in a fight. She also has access to a wide variety of skills, which aid her in deceiving her enemies. The Assassin can be literal, but she can also be any legendary thief, trickster, betrayer, or similarly roguish character. Previous Assassins include Robin Hood, Hermes, Loki, and Moctezuma I.
Innate Ability: Assassin's Stealth. The Assassin is always assumed to be hiding so well that no one can see her (this is not invisibility).
RPS Combat Style: With Sneak Attack, the Assassin gains sizeable damage and other bonuses whenever she gains advantage. In other respects she concerns herself with light debuffs.

Archer, Defensive Tactical Class
The Archer excels at long-range combat, raining death from a distance where enemy Champions cannot reach her. The Archer’s true specialty, however, lies in perception, her senses allowing her to track down and detect her enemies without fail. The Archer can be any legend associated with a bow, but any ranged weapon is also permissible. Previous Archers include Sun Shang Xiang, Tripurantaka Shiva, Apollo, and Zhou Tong.
Innate Ability: Archer's Vision. The Archer can physically see a great distance away, and can easily spot and track enemies using this.
RPS Combat Style: None. The Archer works best when firing at an enemy from out of range, which does not RPS Clash. The Archer is weak against RPS clashes, and will fight to gain distance again.

Rider, Offensive Tactical Class
The Rider is the only class that has innate access to a mount, allowing her to swiftly travel over long distances and make powerful charge attacks from far. The Rider’s true specialty lies in having this enhanced movement capability, and she can both chase down and flee from her foes with frightening ease. The Rider can be any figure with a legendary mount (this does not have to be a creature), but free willed adventurers are also acceptable. Previous Riders include Genghis Khan, Bellerophon, Guan Yu, and Francis Drake.
Innate Ability: Rider's Chase/Retreat. As long as she is on her mount, the Rider gains massive bonuses to pursue and flee from foes.
RPS Combat Style: The Rider is a versatile everyman, doing a little something of everything, and possessing more RPS options than other champions.

Savior, Defensive Strategic Class
The Savior specializes in casting Divine magic to heal and protect both her allies as well as herself, and has the highest defensive potential out of any class. The Savior is the strongest class in a battle of attrition, and is also the only class that can choose to either physically damage her enemies with her weapons, or pose a threat with select offensive spells. The Savior may be any mythic priest, shaman, or druid, and may also be any legendary healer. Previous Saviors include Charaka, Mogh Ruith, Hippocrates, and Dr. Jekyll.
Innate Ability: Savior's Resurrection. Once per game, upon her or her summoner dying, they may rise again in another location.
RPS Combat Style: The Savior is an annoying tanker and is hard to actually kill. Power comes from buffs accrued over the length of the game.

Caster, Offensive Strategic Class
The Caster specializes in casting Arcane magic with incredible destructive power, and is the class with the highest unrestricted offensive potential. The Caster can also utilize her magical prowess in a more indirect manner, often possessing surprising abilities that are difficult to deal with. The Caster can be any mythical wizard or witch, but may also be a legendary scientist or alchemist. Previous Casters include Isaac Newton, Leonardo Da Vinci, Circe, and Hans Christian Anderson.
Innate Ability: Caster's Concentration. By sharing mental energy, the Caster's summoner can use up to three concentration spells at once, as well as gain a reduced to chance to lose them.
RPS Combat Style: The Caster is weak on the get-go, but applies heavy debuffs and save breaks until the battle goes in her favor, all while backed up by powerful arcane spells.

As stated, each Summoner will be highly individualized. Don't even go in expecting Vancian casting if you're familiar with it. If you're new, no biggie, just come up with a concept for a super cool and special spellcaster. All basic spells can be found here.

As per the rundown, there are 8 slots open.

• Everyone has three Order Spells. All three of them can be used.
  • Only Rider may use them to teleport, and only Savior may use them to full heal.
  • Everyone starts with 50 mana.
  • As long as you have at least one Order, your Champion gains 25 mana a day.
  • You can create up to two mana founts a day, gaining 25 mana for each.
  • Spiritually significant locations may yield more mana.
  • Spending an hour performing a ritual murder will yield 5 mana if relatively discreet, 10 if reckless and bold.
  • If a Champion does not have an Order Spell, they will lose 25 mana per day, then 50, then so on. When they hit 0, they vanish.
  • For spells with effects that can be increased by level, spending 10 mana per level increase will cause the same effect.

Last edited:

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
this game looks interesting, I'll try it as well if I can get in

Gale Wing Srock this is very newbie friendly. PSW I was my first DnD game ever and this 5th incarnation has culled a lot of unnecessary rules away, easing the learning curve greatly.
Here we can observe Agape, pretending that he didn't play test it.

In

Gotta come up with some new concepts as I already got bored from my remaining 4-5 I didn't use yet, I'm fickle like that.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
As many of you know, I moved to Spokane today. Unfortunately my situation is quite a bit more sink and swim than I had expected it to be. Basically until I find any job, my irc habits will be slim to none. Only 4 players haven't finished summoners. I'll alert everyone when I'm back. Those without summoners really need to have concepts when I return.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
WE GO

I want day plans from EVERYONE within two days. The two people who did not get sheets should get me the info I asked for quickly.

A few new concepts worth noting;

• Everyone has three Order Spells. All three of them can be used.
  • Only Rider may use them to teleport, and only Savior may use them to full heal.
  • Everyone starts with 50 mana.
  • As long as you have at least one Order, your Champion gains 25 mana a day.
  • You can create up to two mana founts a day, gaining 25 mana for each.
  • Spiritually significant locations may yield more mana.
  • Spending an hour performing a ritual murder will yield 5 mana if relatively discreet, 10 if reckless and bold.
  • If a Champion does not have an Order Spell, they will lose 25 mana per day, then 50, then so on. When they hit 0, they vanish.
  • For spells with effects that can be increased by level, spending 10 mana per level increase will cause the same effect.
Players have been given their starting positions, but no map. A good idea might be to explore.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
That's an invitation to abruptly change your day plans.

ALSO

In general, you guys need to be way more fucking thorough with your plans. "I go to this place" does not work when you literally know nothing about the town you are in.

...I really didn't want to have to do this.

I believe that I'm going to have to drop out of this PSW. My head really just is not in the game this time around and I have time commitments elsewhere, including IRL. As such, I'm bowing out because I don't want the game delayed anymore by my negligence.

Apologies to all involved. So long and thanks for all the fish! :)

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Maxim was basically not playing his own characters to begin with, so I'd like to invite anyone to step in and take his spot.

One champion has already died! Not from inactivity, stone cold killed in an epic fight. This game was slow to start but there are various reasons that it will progress quickly from here on out, so please pm me if you're even mildly interested.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Day 2

The Lernean Hydra (Berserker) has been slain!

For a small town, there is much in the local news as you pick up a copy of the newspaper. Much of it may be linked, according to the paper itself. Two ritual murders have occurred. The first at the One-Stop on the east side of town on The Centre, the second at night at the Catkin Lodge on Countess Road. Both took place in bathrooms and the victims were carved up with daggers. People were late to discover the first body, but the second murder was noisy, and so a woman was seen fleeing the premises. The police are hesitant to call this the beginnings of a serial murder.

Meanwhile, a man with a gun has been causing major commotion at Amesbury Abbey. The church turned retirement home had to be evacuated, and has since had a large portion of its roof caved in. A man with a gun was also found outside of the One-Stop after the murder, but four officers who were taking him in for questioning were found dead on A345 on the way to the police station. They seemed to have been covered in cement and asphyxiated.

The freak snowstorm has stopped, but the roads are still too icy to drive on. Experts believe they may melt later in the day.

Each player has been affected by something strange in the night. You get the feeling that answer to your problem lies in Holder's Field.

Everyone has 48 hours to send in a day plan. The day plans in day 1 were EXTREMELY weak. A day plan should be several paragraphs in length, explaining each action in detail, covering roughly a day's worth of events, and with contingencies depending on what happens throughout the day. I got day plans like this in PSW1/2, I should be getting them in this one.

Also, if I pm asking a question, give me an answer asap. ANY kind, like "I need to do this in two days because of homework" will do. When I see people have gotten on smogon and not done this, I have a right to get angry. Often times we're waiting on one person in this game, and sometimes we're not even waiting for them to do much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)