The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Gakkou Gurashi and Gate are the only two anime I think are worth watching this season, I read the manga for each and they are both pretty good. Everything else looks like shit.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
damn u niggas are a lot harder on anime nowadays, i try to watch a bunch of stuff that looks even kind of interesting in hopes ill find something awesome.

Acklow

Yeah this season just looks really bad. On another note, just finished Punchline and gotta admit I was right when I said it was going to be really good.

seems like most people are most interested in prison school, been reading the manga and its been funny as hell. anime should be good entertainment.

My only semi rec for this season is Rokka no Yuusha. Supposedly they are putting in 6 episodes per volume, which is quite a surprise and gives me hope for something better than a one and done adaptation. Just a half rec from me since I'm only going off of what I've heard from the novel. Also good for mystery lovers I suppose. Don't like the season in general

Previews

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
this season looks like it lacks an outstandingly good anime like fate or hibike but there's a couple of things i've been looking forward to..

non non biyori season 2: season 1 was one of the best SoLs i've ever watched. even the thuggiest gangsters would enjoy this

durarara x2: if u've seen the other seasons you should know what to expect

gakkou gurashi: one of the better zombie apocalypse manga, but it's also really easy to fuck up if the studio doesn't get the mood right. lerche hasn't made anything notable so it could go either way

himouto! umaru-chan: haven't looked into this but it's a comedy and dogakobo is the best studio at doing comedy

random harem anime: feels like there's more than usual this season. hopefully 1 of them turns out to be actually good or satirically good

"blank looks good, but the rest look like shit" God, I can't express how much I hate that phrase...

The one anime I was looking forward too that hasn't been mention is Game of Laplace. The first episode was really good and basically what I wanted, eerie and a little messed up.

random harem anime: feels like there's more than usual this season. hopefully 1 of them turns out to be actually good or satirically good
Think there's only 3? TLR; Darkness, Jitsu wa Watashi wa and Monster Musume. Looking forward to all three tho. I wonder how much they would censor Monster Musume and Kangoku Gakuen, since they are both borderline Hentai.

early thoughts

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime: This looks to be one of the occasional good shoujos and the scumbag prince antagonist voiced by Lelouch is great.

Chaos Dragon: Seems kinda bad but the first episode focused on the seemingly worst character, so I'll give it another shot.

Charlotte: This was actually really fun, the main character is basically Kanye from Amagi and the first episode is mostly him trying to abuse his superpower. Then again this is the same team that brought us Angel Beats so I have zero faith in it not falling apart by the end.

Classroom Crisis: idk, the sci-fi stuff seems bad and the classroom setting seems like it's just there because it can, wasn't terrible though.

Gate: setup episode, hard to judge much but I like where it's going so far.

Gangsta: not actually that gangsta

Joukamachi no Dandelion: reasonably entertaining with a fun premise. also fulfills my need for Kanahana

Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace: I'm not too into mysteries but this seemed alright.

Rokka no Yuusha: Seems like a pretty solid action LN. Also avoid the character pages on MAL, they spoil a major plot element with no warning.

Symphogear GX: the first 5 minutes of this were amazing, personal pick for show of the season so far. Difficult to recommend though since it's a third season and the first one has major issues.

Ushio to Tora: like if Calvin and Hobbes was an edgy 90's shonen

Acklow

I'm very happy with how the first episode of Gakkou Gurashi turned out. I wasn't sure how they were going to approach the story since

The MC's delusions are harder to cover up in an animation

But they managed to pull it off quite well. Looking forward to how they pan out the series and if they do well keeping to the source material.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys just wondering what the community's opinion on Akame ga Kill was, for curiosity's sake.

I've heard from numerous people that its a mediocre anime, although from what I've seen of it (I think im about halfway thru, 11 episodes of 24) and its pretty good thus far, a decent premise (assassins are p cool) good action, art style is my cup of tea, and the characters are p cool (even in the first beginning episodes when the first MC died it was tragic bc they actually went over the backstory for them). The only thing I can think of is that the plot is kinda vague at times (MC gets in trouble needs to fight way out) with no clear main objective.

Also I was about halfway thru Kill la Kill (Ryuuko had just beaten the e4 and Satsuki's mom had appeared as a MC) before I dropped it, does it get better and should I continue it or do I just leave it be?

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The anime did an original ending that felt rushed as fuck. If you care about the source material, you are probably better off reading the manga from there as multiple people I've talked with liked the manga more too.

KLK : it does get better after the first half, but if you hated how ridiculous it was it just becomes wayyyy more ridiculous, so up to you honestly.

Acklow

You would have to attribute that to most shounen tbh. The reason it even got hype in the first place was the fact that it was a shounen that wasn't afraid to kill off "major" characters, unlike Naruto or Fairy Tail (ugh, I even hate bringing that show up to use as an example) or other popular shounen. The manga is quite decent, although english translations come out rather slowly, like Shingeki no Kyojin (which is mostly why I dropped that).

In any event, I enjoyed it enough to buy a couple volumes when I was in Akihabara back in 2013. I do think that there is obviously room for improvement with AGK for sure. Also just want to point out that I never bothered to watch the anime, so my opinion is somewhat ignorant in regards to how the anime ended up playing out.

Edit: @below, that's mostly the reason why I didn't bother with the anime :P

Last edited:

RODAN

Banned deucer.
all i know about akame ga kill is apparently its supposed to be like, elfen lied levels of edgy. is this true?

it's edgy in the sense that many of the villains are over-the-top evil in a way that's nonsensical (most of Wild Hunt in the manga are great examples). it's not like the series lacks well-written characters, though - Wave, Bols, and Justice Bitch are all actually quite interesting and the shounen teenage male protagonist is no worse than countless other shounen teenage male protagonists

i do agree with acklow though, a lot of the reason AGK was popular in the first place was because people were tired of popular manga never killing anyone off (although the anime takes this way too far with its finale)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)