Scolipede [GP 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeonic

we got to install microwave ovens
QC Checks: Nayrz / Sweep / WreckDra

GP Checks: Snobalt / GatoDelFuego

[OVERVIEW]

Scolipede secures a niche in Ubers by virtue of its support movepool and ability; Speed Boost allows it to outspeed every unboosted threat in Ubers at +1. Scolipede has a great movepool for a lead, with access to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Pin Missile allows Scolipede to potentially OHKO Deoxys-S and Darkrai, and Endeavor allows it to cripple opposing leads. While Scolipede can be highly effective in some matchups, Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye completely shut it down by virtue of Magic Bounce, and Taunt users can prevent it from setting up entry hazards.

[SET]
name: Spikes Anti-Lead
move 1: Pin Missile
move 2: Toxic Spikes / Spikes
move 3: Endeavor
move 4: Protect
item: Focus Sash
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Pin Missile is used over Megahorn in order to break Focus Sashes on Deoxys-S, Deoxys-A, and Darkrai. Toxic Spikes is usually preferred over Spikes, as other Spikes users such as Klefki do this better, though both can be run on the same set. Protect allows Scolipede to gain a free Speed boost so that it can outspeed Darkrai, Deoxys-S, and Deoxys-A while avoiding a Dark Void or Taunt. Earthquake can be used to 2HKO Mega Diancie, Mega Gengar, and Klefki, and to deal a decent amount of damage to Primal Groudon. Toxic cripples Defog users such as Giratina-O, support Arceus formes, Latios, and Latias, as well as bulky Pokemon that give hyper offense teams trouble, such as Tyranitar and Ho-Oh.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack allows Scolipede to OHKO Deoxys-Swith Pin Missile as long as it hits three times and Darkrai if it hits four times. Maximum Speed investment is used so that Scolipede can outspeed Latios and Latias. Alternatively, a spread of 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe with a Jolly nautre allows Scolipede to outspeed Adamant maximum speed Mega Salamence while adding a little bit of extra bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Scolipede should only be used on hyper offense teams, as it lacks the defensive utility necessary for other archetypes. Scolipede should be used as a lead unless your opponent has an anti-lead such as Mega Gengar, Mega Sableye, Mega Diancie, or Giratina-O, in which case you should lead with another Pokemon such as Primal Kyogre or Xerneas. If your opponent leads with Darkrai, using Protect turn one is recommended to block Dark Void and allow Scolipede to outspeed Darkrai next turn. If your opponent leads with Deoxys-S or Deoxys-A, using Pin Missile on the first turn limits their chances to set up entry hazards. When Scolipede has been brought down to its Focus Sash, using Endeavor brings the opponent's Pokemon down to 1 HP, allowing other team members to easily revenge kill it.

Team Options
========

Scolipede is only viable on hyper offense teams, so Pokemon commonly found on hyper offense such as Mega Salamence, Xerneas, and Arceus work well. Darkrai in particular shuts down Defog users via Dark Void and Taunt, making it difficult to remove Scolipede's entry hazards, but Darkrai lacks offensive synergy, as it is checked by Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie. Mewtwo, along with its Mega Evolutions, provides a fast Taunt and enjoys having foes worn down with poison damage, but Mewtwo lacks defensive synergy with Scolipede.

Pokemon such as Primal Kyogre and Xerneas pair well with Scolipede, as they can check Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye. Faster Pokemon such as Mega Mewtwo Y are able to outspeed and OHKO Mega Gengar, but they lack the ability to trap it. Shaymin-S as well as Substitute users such as Xerneas appreciate opposing Pokemon being worn down by poison. Mixed Xerneas can beat Mega Sableye, as well as Ho-Oh and Blissey with Rock Slide and Close Combat, respectively. If Protect isn't used, a Sleep Talk user such as Choice Scarf Zekrom pairs nicely with Scolipede to beat Darkrai leads.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Baton Pass can be used to gain momentum against Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie switch-ins, but fitting it on a moveset is difficult. Passing a Speed boost to Pokemon such as Primal Groudon and Xerneas allows them to easily beat Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie. Poison Jab allows Scolipede to 2HKO offensive Xerneas, while a single Speed boost allows Scolipede to outspeed +2 Xerneas. Poison Jab also has a 30% chance to poison the foe, which cripples Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie. Rock Slide can deal heavy damage to Ho-Oh if it tries to switch in, but the move fails to OHKO. Superpower allows Scolipede to OHKO Tyranitar, but it has little to no utility outside of that.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye**: Magic Bounce allows Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie to freely switch into Scolipede and potentially bounce back its entry hazards. This, paired with a great defensive typing and Will-O-Wisp, allows Mega Sableye to quickly wear down Scolipede, while Mega Diancie can OHKO it with Diamond Storm.

**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar's Ghost / Poison typing grants it an immunity to Endeavor and a resistance to Pin Missile, while Shadow Tag prevents Scolipede from switching, leaving it vulnerable to Taunt and being 2HKOed by Shadow Ball.

**Mega Kangaskhan**: By virtue of Parental Bond, Mega Kangashkan is able to OHKO Scolipede, bypassing its Focus Sash.

**Giratina-O**: Giratina-O's unique Ghost / Dragon typing grants it an immunity to Endeavor and a resistance to Pin Missile. Giratina-O also has access to Defog, allowing it to freely remove Scolipede's entry hazards.

**Support Arceus Formes**: Bulky Arceus formes, especially Ghost Arceus, are able to Defog away Scolipede's entry hazards and 2HKO it with Judgment.

**Tyranitar**: Sand Stream paired with a Rock-type STAB attack allows Tyranitar to OHKO Scolipede through its Focus Sash.

**Ho-Oh**: Sacred Fire has a 50% chance to burn, and defensive Ho-Oh often runs Substitute, rendering Endeavor much less effective against it.

**Primal Groudon**: Between Lava Plume, phazing in Dragon Tail, and Thunder Wave, Primal Groudon has the tools to easily remove Scolipede while limiting its entry hazards.

**Thunder Wave + Defog**: The pairing of Klefki and defensive Mega Salamence in particular cripples Scolipede and allows Mega Salamence to Defog away entry hazards and OHKO Scolipede with Return or phaze it with Dragon Tail.

**Mega Mewtwo X**: Mega Mewtwo X's Low Kick does minimal damage to Scolipede, greatly reducing the effectiveness of Endeavor, while Pin Missile does little damage in return. After this, Mega Mewtwo X can proceed to KO Scolipede with Stone Edge or Earthquake. In addition, Mega Mewtwo X provides a fast Taunt, which can prevent Scolipede from laying down entry hazards.

**Anti-Leads**: Yveltal, Greninja, and Forretress can beat Scolipede one-on-one and limit the number of entry hazards it can lay down.

Defensive Yveltal and Greninja can Taunt Scolipede, limiting it to one layer of entry hazards. Foul Play from defensive Yveltal can 2HKO Scolipede, and Yveltal can proceed to KO with Sucker Punch if Scolipede uses Endeavor. Offensive Yveltal can bring Scolipede down to 1 HP and KO Scolipede if it tries to attack.

Thanks to Protean, Greninja becomes immune to Endeavor and gains a resistance to Pin Missile when it uses Shadow Sneak.

Forretress can spin away Scolipede's entry hazards while laying down its own.

Aegislash can 2HKO Scolipede with Gyro Ball, but it has no way of preventing Scolipede from laying down two layers of entry hazards.

Lead for Hyper Offense teams.

• It has a niche in being able to outspeed (after a Speed Boost) and OHKO lead Deoxys-Speed, Deoxys-Attack and Darkrai using Pin Missile.
  • 112 Base Speed is fast, outspeeding the entire unboosted meta after a speed boost.
  • 100 Base Attack without a boosting item is fairly weak, but it can OHKO what it needs to.
  • Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye prevent it from laying down spikes and wall it.
  • Does not enjoy taunt.
  • Access to Spikes and Toxic Spikes.
  • Has very little utility mid to late game.

[SET]

move 4: Toxic / Earthquake / Spikes

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves

========

• Pin Missile is used over Megahorn in order to break Focus Sashes on Deoxys-Speed, Deoxys-Attack and Darkrai.
  • Toxic Spikes are usually preferred over Spikes as other Spikes users such as Klefki do this better. Both can be run on the same set with Spikes in the 4th moveslot.
  • Endeavor is used to bring the opponent’s pokemon to 1hp, leaving it open to be revenge killed or to be knocked out by a Pin Missile.
  • Toxic cripples defog users that try to switch in such as Giratina-O, bulky Arceus forms and Latis as well as Pokemon such as Ho-oh and Primal Groudon.
  • Protect allows Scolipede to avoid Dark Void from Darkrai and Taunt from Deoxys-Speed and Deoxys-Attack, but it is better to attack Deoxys turn 1.
  • Earthquake allows Scolipede to 2HKO Mega Diancie, Mega Gengar and Klefki, as well as dealing some damage to Primal Groudon.
Set Details

========

• Max Attack and Speed allows Scolipede to potentially OHKO Deoxys-Speed with Pin Missile as long as it hits 3 times and Darkrai if it hits 4 times and outspeed Latios and Latias.
  • 200 Speed and a Jolly nature can be run alternatively as it allows Scolipede to outpseed Adamant max speed Mega Salamence while adding a little bit of extra bulk.

Usage Tips

========

• Should only be used as a lead on Hyper Offense teams.
  • Should be used as a lead unless your opponent has an anti-lead such as Mega Gengar, Mega Sableye, Mega Diancie or Giratina-O, in which case lead with another Pokemon such as Xerneas or Primal Kyogre.
  • If your opponent leads with Darkrai, using protect turn 1 is recommended to avoid Dark Void and allow Scolipede to outspeed next turn.
  • Attacking Deoxys-Speed and Deoxys-Attack turn 1 limits them to 1 layer of hazards.
  • Usually you should use Endeavor once Scolipede has been brought down to 1 HP.
  • Toxic cripples Defog users as well as Pokemon such as Primal Groudon, Giratina-O and Ho-oh.

Team Options

========

• Scolipede works best on Hyper Offense, so Pokemon commonly found on Hyper Offense such as Mega Salamence, Xerneas and Normal Arceus work well.
  • Pokemon that make it difficult to Defog such as Darkrai as it can shut down Defog users via Dark Void.
  • Pokemon that can switch into and beat Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie such as Primal Kyogre, Yveltal, Xerneas for Sableye or Primal Kyogre, Ground Arceus, Mega Metagross and Scizor or Mega Scizor for Diancie
  • Pursuit users such as Scizor remove Mega Gengar. Faster Pokemon such as Mega Mewtwo Y also can beat Mega Gengar, but lack Pursuit to trap it.
  • Pokemon such as Darkrai, Calm Mind Ghost, Fairy and Dark Arceus that beat Giratina-O and support Arceus Forms.
  • Shaymin-Sky as well as Substitute users such as Xerneas appreciate opposing Pokemon being worn down by Poison.
  • Mixed Xerneas can beat Mega Sableye as well as Ho-oh and Blissey with Rock Slide and Close Combat respectively.
  • If Protect isn’t used, a Sleep Talk user such as Choice Scarf Zekrom pairs nicely with Scolipede to beat Darkrai leads.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options

=============

• Rock Slide can deal heavy damage to Ho-ohs that try to switch in, but fails to OHKO.
  • Baton Pass can be used to gain momentum against Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie switch-ins.

Checks and Counters

===================

• Mega Sableye
  • Mega Diancie
  • Mega Gengar
  • Mega Kangaskhan
  • Giratina-O
  • Support Arceus Forms
  • Tyranitar
  • Ho-oh
  • Primal Groudon
  • Thunder Wave + Defog
  • Anti-Leads: Yveltal, Greninja, Forretress

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeonic

For QC: Does Baton Pass deserve its own set? Also, is the slightly slower ev spread worth it or should I change it to max/max?

Edit: This is ready for QC

Last edited:
Overview

1. Mention some of its negative traits; Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie both destroy this, it has very little offensive presence, and it is only useful early-game. You included the Taunt weakness, which is good.

2. Scolipede outspeeds everything in Ubers after a speed boost, not most things! Also, change "after a Protect" to "after a Speed Boost."

Set

3. I would slash like this:

move 4: Toxic / Earthquake / Spikes

There are more Spikes users than TSpikes users in this metagame, I wouldn't use an already niche Pokemon like Scolipede without Toxic Spikes. I guess you can leave Spikes slashed though. I also feel Protect is extremely overrated since you beat Deo-S and Deo-A anyway, and Darkrai would be taking a big risk leading vs. this. It's usable but I'd leave it in Moves. Earthquake is viable because it 2HKOes Mega Diancie, so only one Magic Bouncer can sit on you. Earthquake also ambushes lead Mega Gengar and annoys Klefki. Both Toxic and EQ hit Groudon, but Toxic is better vs. it in the long run.

4. Use the max Speed set IMO, the limited extra bulk isn't very useful and you can revenge a Lati mid-game (or set up a hazard on them as they switch out) with max Speed the turn it comes in.

Moves

5. TSpikes > Spikes because Scolipede isn't really that good compared to other Spikers in the tier (mention you can run them on the same set in the Toxic slot if you really want to)

6. Move Toxic in between Endeavor and Protect, and mention Earthquake before Protect.

Set Details

7. Mention max Speed set first, it's self-explanatory so you don't need to explain it too much. Perfectly fine with the 200 Speed spread being listed as an alternative spread.

Usage Tips

8. Scolipede is better off attacking Deo-S and Deo-A turn 1, even if it has Protect.

9. Mention that Toxic is nice to cripple Giratina-O and Primal Groudon as well.

10. Specify what you should do vs. Magic Bounce users IMO, especially Sableye (i.e. lead with something else!)

Team Options

11. Mention Pokemon that enjoy Toxic Spikes support, such as Shaymin-S and Substitute users.

12. Mention mixed Xerneas as a good partner, it makes the Sableye matchup easier by leading vs it and bashing switchins with physical coverage (like Blissey and Ho-Oh).

13. If you forgo Protect on Scolipede, mention sleep absorbers such as Choice Scarf Zekrom. Remove Ho-Oh as a team option; it won't be getting the anti-hazard support it needs on a HO team.

Other Options

14. You don't necessarily need to Baton Pass speed boosts for it to be useful; Baton Pass is a nice way to get away from obvious Mega Sableye switches early-mid game. It's a decent option, worthy of OO (although idk about a BP set lol).

Checks & Counters

15. Mention Prankster Thunder Wave + Defog as a combintion check, something like Klefki + defensive Mega Mence will make Scolipede very sad.

This looks pretty good so far, you seem to understand how this Pokemon functions in the meta.

Aeonic

I'll finish updating this in a day or two, I'll be out of internet range until then.

This looks fine to me, i wouldnt be that confident in using scolipede because the magic bounce matchup is terrible and those are somewhat common to see (Diancie "sun" balance, Sableye stall) but it does have a half decent niche as a more damaging lead over deo-s that i can approve of

Checks and counters feels a bit expansive...id group the bouncers together and remove the bottom 4, either that or group the bottom 4 into an "anti leads" section where you can elaborate on each mons matchup vs Scolipede...actually yeah do that

Team options should have mons that can switch into magic bouncers and force them out, namely (Sableye) Kyogre, Yveltal, Xerneas or (Diancie) Kyogre, Groundceus, Metagross/Scizor

Add all that and consider this QC 1/3

Aeonic

I apologize for lack of activity on this, things came up and I've been extremely busy. I will be away for a week-ish, so I'll write this up then.

Superpower isn't that bad in OO. I used a set of Superpower / Pin Missile / Toxic Spikes / Endeavor sometimes and it worked fine. The point was that sand Excadrill is a big threat to Scolipede offense teams as it can spin away hazards (and because Excadrill is a threat for offense in general) and Superpower lets you to beat Tyranitar if your opponent decides to lead with it (Shuca is generally more common than Chople, even if it's still a thing to consider), so Excadrill won't be an issue after you killed the Tyranitar. I guess it's just a niche move to use sometimes that just helps the matchup against sand Excadrill teams, but it has its uses and therefore might deserve a little mention in OO.

that's p cool

however I think you need protect on this mon to have a niche over other suicide spikers. scoli becomes the only one to beat both deo-s and darkrai which is huge.

Aeonic

Aeonic
progress man, wheres it at?
Sorry, a couple of major things have come up recently and i've been extremely busy. I'll try and get this done in the next 12 hours as I have a window of time open soon.

Edit: Writing now

Last edited:

Aeonic

This is written. As this is my first analysis, I apologize for any errors in formatting or otherwise.

Scolipede should really only be used to try to get an edge vs hyper offensive teams, either because you are trying to counter style or because you need to strengthen your team vs HO. (let's be real, it's pretty much useless in other matchups) therfore protect should be a non-slashed move so it can fulfill its niche and don't suck vs HO too

Aeonic

Scolipede should really only be used to try to get an edge vs hyper offensive teams, either because you are trying to counter style or because you need to strengthen your team vs HO. (let's be real, it's pretty much useless in other matchups) therfore protect should be a non-slashed move so it can fulfill its niche and don't suck vs HO too
Implemented, reordered discussion of each move in the Moves section to reflect this.

Implemented, reordered discussion of each move in the Moves section to reflect this.
I'm not a qc member so I don't really have the authority to decide the set, although it's the only set that makes sense you should probably see what the qc members thinks first.

Aeonic

I'm not a qc member so I don't really have the authority to decide the set, although it's the only set that makes sense you should probably see what the qc members thinks first.
Hack also made this suggestion earlier, I forgot to implement it when I was writing it.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Usage Tips:
...as well as bulky Pokemon such as Primal Groudon, Ho-oh, Lugia and Tyranitar.
Why do you want these Pokemon crippled? It is because they give Hyper Offense trouble (Scolipede is only used on HO like you said). Changing it to "...as well as bulky Pokemon that give Hyper Offense teams trouble, such as...".

Team Options:
As powerful as it would be, you cannot have a Pokemon that is both asleep and poisoned by Toxic Spikes, so your Bad Dreams + poison damage line needs to be removed. What Darkrai does do is put levitating Defog users to sleep or force them out (Latias, Latios, Giratina-O), and Taunt grounded Defog users / threaten to set on Nasty Plot on their Defog (Arceus-Water and -Rock). Also make a note of how Darkrai is also beaten by Magic Bounce users which isnt the best for of offensive synergy in the world. I do like Taunt Darkrai a bit better on Scolipede teams though because of the way it stops Recover from Arceus formes also. I don't like Pursuit users with Scolipede actually since all of them kill momentum, or don't fit well with Scolipede (TTar Exca breaks its sash etc). Mention Mewtwo here as it is another fast offensive Taunt user. It doesn't provide very good defensive utility, like Scolipede, but Toxic Spikes help this problem a bit.

Other Options:

Baton Pass: do make mention of Pokemon that like receiving the Speed boost and can own the two Magic Bounce users (Primal Groudon mainly).

add Poison Jab: This move is cool because +1 Scolipede outspeeds +2 Geomancy Xerneas (running less than 132 Speed EVs) at +1 and Jab is a 2HKO on it. It also gives it a strong 30% chance to poison the Magic Bounce users for its teammates.

Check and Counters:
Reformat to
**<check / counter>[non Bold]**:

This makes it so the dex will bold it, but we don't need it here. its just an inconvenience when Sweep or Fireburn uploads it in your current format.

Add Mega Mewtwo X here because it takes next to nothing from Pin Missile, can Taunt Scolipede, and can avoid most of its Endeavor shenanigans with Low Kick + Stone Edge or two Low Kicks + Earthquake. It can probably be added in between Twave + Defog and Anti-Leads.

Do all of this and I will stamp. Get to it :)

E: And yes keep what Hack and Kebabe have said of course.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just fix up your spacingand remove the redundant last sentence of Usage Tips, and I think this is good.

you can also remove the <>'s from Check and Counters though, but keep the *'s. I was just trying to label where the check or counter should go with those (in-between the *'s).

Do that, and consider this:
QC_stamp.gif

QC 3/3

Also take a look at the grammar standards thread (here) and read this over before moving this to GP. I found a quite a few easy to fix mistakes when reading this over.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove

Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Scolipede secures a niche in Ubers by virtue of its support movepool and its ability. Scolipede’s Speed Boost ability allows it to outspeed every unboosted threat in Ubers at +1. Scolipede has a great lead movepool for a lead, with access to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Pin Missile allows Scolipede to potentially OHKO Deoxys-(AH)Speed and Darkrai, while Endeavor allows it to cripple opposing leads. While Scolipede can be highly effective in some matchups, Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye completely shut it down by virtue of Magic Bounce, (AC) and Taunt users can prevent it from setting up entry hazards.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Pin Missile is used over Megahorn in order to break Focus Sashes on Deoxys-Speed, Deoxys-Attack, (AC) and Darkrai. Toxic Spikes are is usually preferred over Spikes, (AC) as other Spikes users such as Klefki do this better, however though both can be run on the same set. Protect allows Scolipede to gain a free Speed boost so that it can outspeed Darkrai, Deoxys-Speed, (AC) and Deoxys-Attack after a Speed Boost while avoiding a Dark Void or Taunt. Earthquake can be used to 2HKO Mega Diancie, Mega Gengar, (AC) and Klefki, (AC) and to deal a decent amount of damage to Primal-(RH) Groudon. Toxic cripples Defog users such as Giratina-O, support Arceus formes, Latios, (AC) and Latias, as well as bulky Pokemon that give Hyper Offense hyper offense teams trouble, such as Tyranitar and Ho-oh Ho-Oh.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed allows Scolipede to potentially OHKO Deoxys-Speed with Pin Missile as long as it hits 3 three times and Darkrai if it hits 4 four times. Maximum Speed is used so that Scolipede can and outspeed Latios and Latias. Alternatively, a spread of 200 Speed and a Jolly nature with max Attack and 56 HP can be run as it 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe with a Jolly nautre allows Scolipede to outspeed Adamant maximum speed Mega Salamence while adding a little bit of extra bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Scolipede should only be used on hyper offense teams, as it lacks the defensive utility necessarily for other archetypes. Scolipede should be used as a lead unless your opponent has an anti-lead such as Mega Gengar, Mega Sableye, Mega Diancie, (AC) or Giratina-O, in which case you should lead with another Pokemon such as Primal Kyogre or Xerneas. If your opponent leads with Darkrai, using Protect turn one is recommended as to block Dark Void and allow Scolipede to outspeed Darkrai next turn. If your opponent leads with Deoxys-Speed or Deoxys-Attack, using Pin Missile on the first turn 1 limits their chances to set up entry hazards. When Scolipede has been brought down to 1hp its Focus Sash, using Endeavor brings the opponent’s pokemon foe's Pokemon down to 1hp HP, allowing other team members to easily revenge kill it.

Team Options
========

Scolipede is only viable on hyper offensive teams, so Pokemon commonly found on hyper offense such as Mega Salamence, Xerneas, (AC) and Normal Arceus work well. Darkrai in particular shuts down Defog users via Dark Void and Taunt, making it difficult to remove Scolipede'(no curly apostrophes)s entry hazards, but Darkrai lacks offensive synergy, (AC) as it is checked by Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie. Mewtwo, along with its mega forms Mega Evolutions, provides a fast Taunt and enjoys Poison having foes worn down with poison damage, but lacks all the Mewtwo formes lack defensive synergy with Scolipede.

Pokemon such as Primal Kyogre and Xerneas pair well with Scolipede, (AC) as they can check or counter (pick one) Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye. Faster Pokemon such as Mega Mewtwo Y are able to outspeed and OHKO Mega Gengar, but they lack the ability to trap it. Shaymin-Sky as well as Substitute users such as Xerneas appreciate opposing Pokemon being worn down by Poison poison. Mixed Xerneas can beat Mega Sableye, (AC) as well as Ho-oh Ho-Oh and Blissey with Rock Slide and Close Combat, (AC) respectively. If Protect isn'(no curly apostrophes)t used (but Protect isn't slashed with anything), a Sleep Talk user such as Choice Scarf Zekrom pairs nicely with Scolipede to beat Darkrai leads.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Baton Pass can be used to gain momentum against Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie switch-ins, but fitting it in a moveset is difficult to find room for the move. Passing a speed Speed boost to pokemon like Pokemon such as Primal Groudon or and Xerneas allows them to easily beat Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie. Poison Jab allows Scolipede to 2HKO offensive Xerneas, while a single speed Speed boost allows Scolipede to outspeed +2 Xerneas at +2. Poison Jab also has a 30% chance to inflict the Poisoned status poison, which would cripples Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie. Rock Slide can deal heavy damage to Ho-ohs that try Ho-Oh if it tries to switch in, but the move fails to OHKO. Superpower allows Scolipede to OHKO Tyranitar, but it has little to no utility outside of that.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye**: Magic Bounce allows Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie to freely switch into Scolipede and potentially bounce back its entry hazards. This, (AC) paired with a great defensive typing and Will-o-Wisp Will-O-Wisp, allows Mega Sableye to quickly wear down Scolipede, while Mega Diancie can OHKO it with Diamond Storm.

**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar'(no curly apostrophes)s Ghost/Poison typing grants it an immunity to Endeavor and a resistance to Pin Missile, (AC) while its Shadow Tag ability prevents Scolipede from switching, leaving it open vulnerable to Taunt and being 2HKO’d 2HKOed by Shadow Ball.

**Mega Kangaskhan**: By virtue of Thanks to Parental Bond, Mega Kangashkan is able to OHKO Scolipede, bypassing its Focus Sash.

**Giratina-O**: Giratina-O'(no curly apostrophes)s unique Ghost/Dragon typing grants it an immunity to Endeavor and a resistance to Pin Missile. Giratina-O also has access to Defog, allowing it to freely remove Scolipede'(no curly apostrophes)s entry hazards.

**Support Arceus Formes**: Bulky Arceus formes, especially Ghost Arceus, are able to Defog away Scolipede'(no curly apostrophes)s entry hazards and 2HKO it with Judgement.

**Tyranitar**: Sand Stream paired with a Rock-type STAB attack allows Tyranitar to effectively bypass OHKO Scolipede through its Focus Sash.

**Ho-oh Ho-Oh**: Sacred Fire has a 50% chance to burn, along with and defensive Ho-oh often running runs Substitute, rendering Endeavor much less effective against it.

**Primal Groudon**: Between Lava Plume, phazing in Dragon Tail, (AC) and Thunder Wave, Primal Groudon has the tools to easily remove Scolipede while limiting its entry hazards.

**Thunder Wave + Defog**: The pairing of Klefki and defensive Mega Salamence in particular cripples Scolipede and allows Mega Salamence to Defog away entry hazards and OHKO Scolipede with Return or phaze it with Dragon Tail.

**Mega Mewtwo X**: Low Kick does little damage to Scolipede Mega Mewtwo X's Low Kick can break Scolipede's Focus Sash, greatly reducing the effectiveness of Endeavor, while Pin Missile does little damage in return. After this, (AC) Mega Mewtwo X can proceed to KO Scolipede with Stone Edge or Low Kick + Earthquake. In addition, Mega Mewtwo X provides a fast Taunt, which can prevent Scolipede from laying down entry hazards.

**Anti-Leads: Yveltal, Greninja, Forretress**: These pokemon Yveltal, Greninja, and Forretress can beat Scolipede 1v1 and limit the number of hazards it can lay down.

Defensive Yveltal and Greninja can Taunt Scolipede, limiting it to 1 one layer of entry hazards. Foul Play from defensive Yveltal can 2HKO Scolipede, (AC) and Yveltal can proceed to KO with Sucker Punch if Scolipede uses Endeavor. Offensive Yveltal can bring Scolipede down to 1 HP and KO Scolipede if it tries to attack.
Thanks to Protean, Greninja becomes immune to Endeavor and gains a resistance to Pin Missile as its ability Protean changes its typing to pure Ghost when it uses Shadow Sneak.
Forretress can Rapid Spin away Scolipede'(no curly apostrophes)s entry hazards while laying down its own.
Aegislash can 2HKO Scolipede with Gyro Ball, (AC) but it has no way of preventing Scolipede from laying down 2 two layers of entry hazards.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
lazy lazy Sweep

[OVERVIEW]

Scolipede secures a niche in Ubers by virtue of its support movepool and ability; Speed Boost allows it to outspeed every unboosted threat in Ubers at +1. Scolipede has a great movepool for a lead, with access to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Pin Missile allows Scolipede to potentially OHKO Deoxys-S and Darkrai, and Endeavor allows it to cripple opposing leads. While Scolipede can be highly effective in some matchups, Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye completely shut it down by virtue of Magic Bounce, and Taunt users can prevent it from setting up entry hazards.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Pin Missile is used over Megahorn in order to break Focus Sashes on Deoxys-S, Deoxys-A, and Darkrai. Toxic Spikes is usually preferred over Spikes, as other Spikes users such as Klefki do this better, though both can be run on the same set. Protect allows Scolipede to gain a free Speed boost so that it can outspeed Darkrai, Deoxys-S, and Deoxys-A while avoiding a Dark Void or Taunt. Earthquake can be used to 2HKO Mega Diancie, Mega Gengar, and Klefki, and to deal a decent amount of damage to Primal Groudon. Toxic cripples Defog users such as Giratina-O, support Arceus formes, Latios, and Latias, as well as bulky Pokemon that give hyper offense teams trouble, such as Tyranitar and Ho-Oh.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack allows Scolipede to OHKO Deoxys-Swith Pin Missile as long as it hits three times and Darkrai if it hits four times. Maximum Speed investment is used so that Scolipede can outspeed Latios and Latias. Alternatively, a spread of 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe with a Jolly nautre allows Scolipede to outspeed Adamant maximum speed Mega Salamence while adding a little bit of extra bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Scolipede should only be used on hyper offense teams, as it lacks the defensive utility necessary for other archetypes. Scolipede should be used as a lead unless your opponent has an anti-lead such as Mega Gengar, Mega Sableye, Mega Diancie, or Giratina-O, in which case you should lead with another Pokemon such as Primal Kyogre or Xerneas. If your opponent leads with Darkrai, using Protect turn one is recommended to block Dark Void and allow Scolipede to outspeed Darkrai next turn. If your opponent leads with Deoxys-S or Deoxys-A, using Pin Missile on the first turn limits their chances to set up entry hazards. When Scolipede has been brought down to its Focus Sash, using Endeavor brings the opponent's Pokemon down to 1 HP, allowing other team members to easily revenge kill it.

Team Options
========

Scolipede is only viable on hyper offense teams, so Pokemon commonly found on hyper offense such as Mega Salamence, Xerneas, and Arceus work well. Darkrai in particular shuts down Defog users via Dark Void and Taunt, making it difficult to remove Scolipede's entry hazards, but Darkrai lacks offensive synergy, as it is checked by Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie. Mewtwo, along with its Mega Evolutions, provides a fast Taunt and enjoys having foes worn down with poison damage, but Mewtwo lacks defensive synergy with Scolipede.

Pokemon such as Primal Kyogre and Xerneas pair well with Scolipede, as they can check Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye. Faster Pokemon such as Mega Mewtwo Y are able to outspeed and OHKO Mega Gengar, but they lack the ability to trap it. Shaymin-S as well as Substitute users such as Xerneas appreciate opposing Pokemon being worn down by poison. Mixed Xerneas can beat Mega Sableye, as well as Ho-Oh and Blissey with Rock Slide and Close Combat, respectively. If Protect isn't used, a Sleep Talk user such as Choice Scarf Zekrom pairs nicely with Scolipede to beat Darkrai leads.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Baton Pass can be used to gain momentum against Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie switch-ins, but fitting it on a moveset is difficult. Passing a Speed boost to Pokemon such as Primal Groudon and Xerneas allows them to easily beat Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie. Poison Jab allows Scolipede to 2HKO offensive Xerneas, while a single Speed boost allows Scolipede to outspeed +2 Xerneas. Poison Jab also has a 30% chance to poison the foe, which cripples Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie. Rock Slide can deal heavy damage to Ho-Oh if it tries to switch in, but the move fails to OHKO. Superpower allows Scolipede to OHKO Tyranitar, but it has little to no utility outside of that.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye**: Magic Bounce allows Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie to freely switch into Scolipede and potentially bounce back its entry hazards. This, paired with a great defensive typing and Will-O-Wisp, allows Mega Sableye to quickly wear down Scolipede, while Mega Diancie can OHKO it with Diamond Storm.

**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar's Ghost / Poison typing grants it an immunity to Endeavor and a resistance to Pin Missile, while Shadow Tag prevents Scolipede from switching, leaving it vulnerable to Taunt and being 2HKOed by Shadow Ball.

**Mega Kangaskhan**: By virtue of Parental Bond, Mega Kangashkan is able to OHKO Scolipede, bypassing its Focus Sash.

**Giratina-O**: Giratina-O's unique Ghost / Dragon typing grants it an immunity to Endeavor and a resistance to Pin Missile. Giratina-O also has access to Defog, allowing it to freely remove Scolipede's entry hazards.

**Support Arceus Formes**: Bulky Arceus formes, especially Ghost Arceus, are able to Defog away Scolipede's entry hazards and 2HKO it with Judgment.

**Tyranitar**: Sand Stream paired with a Rock-type STAB attack allows Tyranitar to OHKO Scolipede through its Focus Sash.

**Ho-Oh**: Sacred Fire has a 50% chance to burn, and defensive Ho-Oh often runs Substitute, rendering Endeavor much less effective against it.

**Primal Groudon**: Between Lava Plume, phazing in Dragon Tail, and Thunder Wave, Primal Groudon has the tools to easily remove Scolipede while limiting its entry hazards.

**Mega Mewtwo X**: Mega Mewtwo X's Low Kick does minimal damage to Scolipede, greatly reducing the effectiveness of Endeavor, while Pin Missile does little damage in return. After this, Mega Mewtwo X can proceed to KO Scolipede with Stone Edge or Earthquake. In addition, Mega Mewtwo X provides a fast Taunt, which can prevent Scolipede from laying down entry hazards.

**Anti-Leads**: Yveltal, Greninja, and Forretress can beat Scolipede one-on-one and limit the number of entry hazards it can lay down.

Defensive Yveltal and Greninja can Taunt Scolipede, limiting it to one layer of entry hazards. Foul Play from defensive Yveltal can 2HKO Scolipede, and Yveltal can proceed to KO with Sucker Punch if Scolipede uses Endeavor. Offensive Yveltal can bring Scolipede down to 1 HP and KO Scolipede if it tries to attack.

Thanks to Protean, Greninja becomes immune to Endeavor and gains a resistance to Pin Missile when it uses Shadow Sneak.

Forretress can spin away Scolipede's entry hazards while laying down its own.

Aegislash can 2HKO Scolipede with Gyro Ball, but it has no way of preventing Scolipede from laying down two layers of entry hazards.

2/2 this is ready to be uploaded

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)