Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

For a mixed offensive Pokemon, which is the better call if 30+/31/30+/31/30+/31 is not an option: Attack/Special Attack IVs of 30, or defensive IVs slightly below 30 (i.e. 28)? My guess is the latter. I know I always need to max Speed.

For a mixed offensive Pokemon, which is the better call if 30+/31/30+/31/30+/31 is not an option: Attack/Special Attack IVs of 30, or defensive IVs slightly below 30 (i.e. 28)? My guess is the latter. I know I always need to max Speed.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. Are you trying to get a specific Hidden Power, or are you having to do this because of troubles with breeding in-game?

Assuming this is in-game, if you're getting that close to 31, you may just want to grab the one with the best Hidden Power. It's unlikely you'll notice any real difference if your IVs are less than 31 so long as it's not a drastic drop (though it shouldn't be too hard to get 31 in 5 stats if Hidden Power isn't a concern)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. Are you trying to get a specific Hidden Power, or are you having to do this because of troubles with breeding in-game?
No, I'm doing Dream Radar RNG. With having to pick only odd or only even frames and having to get a spread that is tied to your desired nature, it's very hard to get 31/31/31/31/31/31, and still hard to get 30+/31/30+/31/30+/31.

I want to build a Balance Team around Sub + PuP Victini. i've already chosen the defensive core, providing Hazards and Rapid Spin support, so my question is: what's a good Offensive core (2 Pokemons) to pair him up with? something that can profit from the things that Victini Lures / weakens?

I am trying to build an offensive team. However, the team gets wrecked by Mega Lopunny, Talonflame, Mega Manectric, Mega Scizor, Scarf Magnezone and Mega Sableye stall and Mega Swampert in the rain. Any advice on how to improve the team? (Note: Lucario and Absol is required) . Jolly Nature on Lucario because getting outsped by Max Speed Positive Nature Hoopa-U sucks (and it seems to be on every team atm)

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch

Absol @ Absolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Fire Blast

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder Wave

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball

Last edited:
I'm not the best teambuilder, but I can give a few tips. SashZam could help against Lopunny, and with Dazzling Gleam can lure in Mega Sableye. ScarfTar with EQ would help beat Manectric and Talonflame. Not sure who to replace but those mons could help.

I'm not the best teambuilder, but I can give a few tips. SashZam could help against Lopunny, and with Dazzling Gleam can lure in Mega Sableye. ScarfTar with EQ would help beat Manectric and Talonflame. Not sure who to replace but those mons could help.
SashZam still gets wrecked by Fake Out Mega Lopunny (I seem to encounter this variant a lot) . Thanks anyway.

p2

Banned deucer.
I am trying to build an offensive team. However, the team gets wrecked by Mega Lopunny, Talonflame, Mega Manectric, Mega Scizor, Scarf Magnezone and Mega Sableye stall and Mega Swampert in the rain. Any advice on how to improve the team? (Note: Lucario and Absol is required) . Jolly Nature on Lucario because getting outsped by Max Speed Positive Nature Hoopa-U sucks (and it seems to be on every team atm)

Lucario @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch

Absol @ Absolite
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Fire Blast

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder Wave

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
I really think you can patch up a lot of issues by running Bulky Garchomp as your rock setter over Azelf. It deals with Talonflame, Lopunny, Mega Scizor, threatens Magnezone while also deterring Mega Swampert. However, it does create a larger Mega Manectric weakness, but your best bet is to get rocks up as early as you can so you can wear it down with SR to the point where you can break past it with Lucario or Azumarill.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Lucario @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch

Absol @ Absolite
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Fire Blast

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder Wave

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge/Whirlwind

Hippo helps with your weakness to T-Flame, Lop, Manec, scarf magnet, and megazor (with whirlwind). I know that chomp has been suggested and this does more or less the same thing but it has access to reliable recovery in case you were looking for a defensive backbone.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Just noticed in the OU Viability Rankings thread that Espeon and Salamence are ranked at D. What role do those 2 play in OU?
Salamence can use a Bulky Defog set with Roost, Defog, Fire Blast and Earthquake (or Hydro Pump) and check pokemon like Scizor, Sand Rush Excadrilll, Keldeo and Mega Lopunny. I don't know about Espeon either.

Salamence can use a Bulky Defog set with Roost, Defog, Fire Blast and Earthquake (or Hydro Pump) and check pokemon like Scizor, Sand Rush Excadrilll, Keldeo and Mega Lopunny. I don't know about Espeon either.
How does it check Keldeo when Icy Wind almost OHKOes, Scald cripples it and Keldeo doesn't take much from it's attacks?
Mega Lop is also shaky since Ice Punch deals a lot of damage and Power-up Punch sets can overpower Salamence (since at +0, Return 2HKOes while Salamence 3HKOes back)

SketchUp

How does it check Keldeo when Icy Wind almost OHKOes, Scald cripples it and Keldeo doesn't take much from it's attacks?
Mega Lop is also shaky since Ice Punch deals a lot of damage and Power-up Punch sets can overpower Salamence (since at +0, Return 2HKOes while Salamence 3HKOes back)
I said check, not counter.
It beats SubCM as long as Scald doesn't burn on the first hit and Scarfed sets also lose. Also switches in against 3 / 4 moves on Specs assuming rocks are not on the field. Lopunny can only beat it with Ice Punch or PuP, but otherwise it will lose against mence (PuP still struggles and loses 1v1 as far as I know)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Do we really need to go over the checks/counters difference again? Mence can check Keldeo that are Choice-locked into Secret Sword and potentially stall out Scald with Roost even if it gets burned (though you'll probably want to support it with a cleric). It loses to Ich Wind, yes, but it switches into SS just fine so it's a check.

Kinda ninja'd.

So what does Hoopa U threaten and beat?

What's it's best set atm? Sub+NP? AoA?
Hoopa U basically kills every defensive mon in OU, so you'd force something that can't actually threaten you out and then get a kill.

It's still very early to be determining which set is best, but AoA, NP, and Scarf are all very, very strong. I haven't heard much about Sub NP, but it seems excellent as well.

SketchUp

Assuming you mean Mega Sableye: Yes; it's only 5hko'd by Foul Play / Shadow Ball and Hydro Pump does 60-70%. Scald can cripple Sableye but they struggle to beat Sableye if it CMs as Blastoise switches in. Against the regular Sableye set (Foul Play / Knock Off) it will win but you need to watch out for Metal Burst. Sableye can also block your spin so hazards + wisp burns + foul play damage can take you down pretty quickly, though it is still a nice check if you don't switch in directly every time.
--------------
Also a question: What moves should suicide lead Aero run besides Taunt + Stealth Rock. Tailwind, Double-Edge, Stone Edge and Fire Blast all seem like viable options for the 3rd and 4th move but I have 0 experience using this set

Last edited:
Some of the analyses on site mention hitting a "jump point" with certain EV investment (for example, Mega Aggron hits a "jump point" with 16 EVs in Defense and a +Defense nature).

What does this mean, exactly?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Some of the analyses on site mention hitting a "jump point" with certain EV investment (for example, Mega Aggron hits a "jump point" with 16 EVs in Defense and a +Defense nature).

What does this mean, exactly?
It's when you put an additional 4 EVs in a stat, and as a result the raw stat goes up by two points instead of one.

No, I'm doing Dream Radar RNG. With having to pick only odd or only even frames and having to get a spread that is tied to your desired nature, it's very hard to get 31/31/31/31/31/31, and still hard to get 30+/31/30+/31/30+/31.
Is it? I don't think I had problems looking for one though. Yes, it is very time consuming to look for one, but I've had more troubles looking for a shiny seed for legendaries in my B2W2 :3 I've reached 2041 just to find one :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)