Project OU Theorymon [Voting: Check Post #3272]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As promised, I made some calcs of Geomancy Sylveon and determined the mons that could stop its sweep after a boost (using HP Fire IVs):
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 270-318 (81.5 - 96%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 606-714 (183 - 215.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Modest Sylveon can't even OHKO MegaGross at +2 with HP Fire/Ground)
252 Atk Excadrill Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 384-452 (116 - 136.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Jolly Scarf Excadrill outspeeds and OHKOes Geomancy Sylveon, but if it's Timid instead of Modest, then...)
+2 252 SpA Sylveon Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 330-390 (91.4 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (68.8% chance to OHKO after SR)

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 252-297 (76.1 - 89.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (Scarf Lando-T outspeeds and needs SR and some luck to OHKO Geomancy Sylveon, but if it's Timid instead of Modest, then...)
+2 252 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 408-480 (127.8 - 150.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

44 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 270-320 (81.5 - 96.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (if Bullet Punch doesn't KO, Sylveon needs HP Fire to OHKO M-Scizor back as Hyper Voice only has a slight chance to 2HKO it (guaranteed 2HKO after SR))

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 334-394 (100.9 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO (doesn't work with any other Talonflame variant)

Thundurus can use Prankster T-Wave to let slower physical attackers KO Sylveon
Mega Alakazam outspeeds Sylveon and can use Encore the turn after it used Geomancy to get free turns to switch in a physical attacker that could deal with Sylveon (but if it's Timid instead of Modest, then...)
+2 252 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Alakazam: 354-417 (141 - 166.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 312-368 (94.2 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR) (Scarf Jirachi outspeeds and can OHKO Geomancy Sylveon. Specially defensive variants also do a good job at tanking hits and 2HKOing it)

Klefki can use Prankster T-Wave to let slower physical attackers KO Sylveon
252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon in Rain: 367-433 (110.8 - 130.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Kabutops needs rain to outspeed and OHKO Geomancy Sylveon)

80 Atk Life Orb Kingdra Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon in Rain: 250-294 (75.5 - 88.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (again, Kingdra needs rain (and some luck) to outspeed and OHKO Geomancy Sylveon)

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 104-123 (31.4 - 37.1%) -- 82.2% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 208-246 (62.8 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (after SR, Fake Out + Bullet Punch is a guaranteed KO)

252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon in Rain: 340-402 (102.7 - 121.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (again, M-Swampert needs rain to outspeed and OHKO Geomancy Sylveon, but if it's Timid instead of Modest and M-Swampert loses the speed tie, then...)
+2 252 SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert: 468-552 (137.2 - 161.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 573-675 (173.1 - 203.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
32+ Atk Victini V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 313-369 (94.5 - 111.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR) (as long as SR aren't up, Victini survives a boosted Hyper Voice and OHKOes Geomancy Sylveon back. Scarf variants can even outspeed Modest Sylveon at +2 and OHKO it with V-Create)
Chansey isn't close of being 2HKOed by Geomancy Sylveon (even after SR!)

Empoleon
can use Yawn to either make Sylveon asleep or force it to lose all of its boosts by making it switch out (and, like Chancey, it isn't 2HKOed by Geomancy Sylveon after SR)

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 458-542 (138.3 - 163.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

224+ Atk Mega Sharpedo Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 282-334 (85.1 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (87.5% chance to OHKO after SR)
(M-Sharpedo, after one Speed Boost, outspeeds and can OHKO Geomancy Sylveon, but if it's Timid instead of Modest, then...)
+2 252 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Sharpedo: 1070-1262 (380.7 - 449.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (ouch!)
Granted that SR aren't up, Amoonguss survives a boosted Psyshock and can retaliate with Clear Smog to get rid of Geomancy Sylveon's boosts

4 Atk Bronzong Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 420-494 (126.8 - 149.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Bronzong is only 2HKOed at best by HP Fire and, if it has HP Ground instead, 3HKOed at best by Hyper Voice while it cleanly OHKOes Geomancy Sylveon)

If Sylveon has HP Fire, it's walled by Heatran and Chansey
If Sylveon has HP Ground, it's walled by M-Scizor, Ferrothorn, Chansey and Bronzong (using Shadow Ball can alleviate its matchup against certain mons like Heatran or Bronzong) and I've probably forgot some mons for one/both of the HPs

I didn't include Sash leads like Mamoswine, Scolipede and Azelf since they're used as dedicated leads and by the time Sylveon sets up, they'll either be already KOed or having their Sash broken (or won't be at full HP at least)

As we can see, there's only a couple of mons that can stop this monster and the right conditions must be met to do so or most of them will be KOed. Moreover, most of the listed mons are Megas or very passive, which means the number of Geomancy Sylveon checks will be very limited within a team and thusly makes it a very centralising (to not say broken) threat in the metagame.

Last edited:
Ive been lurking for a while, and Id like to contribute to this, it seems really neat.
Donphan + Fairy Typing: I really dont see the utility in this. It counters Dragons pretty well as it is due to Ice Shard. The resistances are pretty useful, but it still hates losing its leftovers to Knock Off and it doesnt really help its main purpose, which is to act as a physically bulky rapid spinner.
Sylveon + Geomancy: I already quit playing Ubers because Xerneas wrecked every hyper offense team I made. If this is anywhere near as godly as Xerneas (and if STABmons in any indication, it will be), hyper offense will take a huge fall. All in all, Im liking this.
Jolteon + Spikes: I dont really like this one. It seems like a poor mans Scolipede, as scolipede does the whole 'offensive spiker' better, especially due to Speed Boost and access to TS. It even gets access to Baton Pass so it can give the speed boosts to something else. (Pity about the nerf tho)
Infernape + Unburden: I love this idea. Just nuke something with Overheat while using a White Herb and you outspeed everything. And god help us if it manages to get off a Nasty Plot. For purely physical sets, the same concept would apply, except it would negate Close Combats defense drops.

Im leaning towards Infernape atm, though Sylveon is fair game as well.

baconbagon

free stabmons
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ive been lurking for a while, and Id like to contribute to this, it seems really neat.
Donphan + Fairy Typing: I really dont see the utility in this. It counters Dragons pretty well as it is due to Ice Shard. The resistances are pretty useful, but it still hates losing its leftovers to Knock Off and it doesnt really help its main purpose, which is to act as a physically bulky rapid spinner.
Donphan no longer needs to act as a 'physically bulky rapid spinner' - with great STAB attacks in Earthquake and Play Rough, it can function as a Rock Polish sweeper. Ground/Fairy is quite helpful defensively too, with resistances to Fighting and Dark. I don't really think Ice Shard will see much use on Donphan, however, as it is pitifully weak without STAB and shares targets with Play Rough.

Sylveon + Geomancy: I already quit playing Ubers because Xerneas wrecked every hyper offense team I made. If this is anywhere near as godly as Xerneas (and if STABmons in any indication, it will be), hyper offense will take a huge fall. All in all, Im liking this.
We've already been told to stop discussing STABmons, and you can read the above posts to find the differences between Geomancy Sylveon and what Sylveon did in STABmons. I wouldn't actually say hyper offense will take a huge fall - Sylveon's low Defense leaves it quite vulnerable to physical priority.

Wait. You quit Ubers just because of Geomancy Xerneas?

Jolteon + Spikes: I dont really like this one. It seems like a poor mans Scolipede, as scolipede does the whole 'offensive spiker' better, especially due to Speed Boost and access to TS. It even gets access to Baton Pass so it can give the speed boosts to something else. (Pity about the nerf tho)
Jolteon has access to Volt Switch, allowing it to be more of a pivot on VoltTurn teams, setting up Spikes whenever you have momentum.

Infernape + Unburden: I love this idea. Just nuke something with Overheat while using a White Herb and you outspeed everything. And god help us if it manages to get off a Nasty Plot. For purely physical sets, the same concept would apply, except it would negate Close Combats defense drops.
Personally, I don't think Infernape would be that scary after an Unburden. It does hit reasonably hard, but you'll need most priority users out of the way due to its frailty. Azumarill is guaranteed to OHKO if Banded, CB Scizor does a reasonable 40% and Talonflame has to be removed before attempting to sweep.

wow it took me like 20 minutes to write that up

With its new typing, Donphan would be best used as a physical setup sweeper with Rock Polish, Earthquake, Play Rough and a coverage move of your choice. Ice Shard actually really sucks at checking Dragon-types:

252 Atk Life Orb Donphan Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 114-135 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Donphan Ice Shard vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mega Altaria: 81-96 (22.9 - 27.1%) -- 44.3% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Donphan Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 177-208 (42.1 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If you want to use it as a bulky spinner, it has the advantage to being able to respectively 2HKO and OHKO both of OU's best spinblockers in M-Sableye and Gengar.

4 Atk Donphan Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Mega Sableye: 170-204 (55.9 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Donphan Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 248-292 (95.7 - 112.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO after SR or one LO recoil)

Anyway, I've already talked a lot about Donphan in my previous posts, so I'll leave it to that.

Also, kinda ninja'd.

baconbagon

free stabmons
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
On Jolteon: IMO random frail Spikers tend to be bad.
I recall when Greninja was around, I didn't see as many people running Spikes and Taunt as much as full-attacker Greninja. In terms of viability, the Spikes set was a flop compared to its 4-attacks set.
Now look at Jolteon, who is even worse a Spiker than Greninja was. It doesn't get Taunt, Magic Coat, or really any support moves at all that allow it to perform as a lead.
Nor can it set Spikes on forced switches as effectively as Greninja could because its offensive movepool...also sucks.

As another example, we also have Diggersby, who also learns Spikes. How many OU players that use Diggersby run Spikes on it?
Perhaps one or two.
You don't many people running Spikes Diggersby, simply because it's not good.

So unless anybody changes my mind, Jolteon = no.
First of all, I wouldn't say Greninja's Spikes set was a flop. CBB's well-known (and archived) Without A Fight team used Spikes Greninja, as it was exceptional at forcing switches and piling up hazards to weaken the opposing team, while destroying common Defoggers.

Not many people run Spikes Diggersby, but then again how many people are actually aware that Diggersby learns Spikes? It only gets a short mention in the analysis. Diggersby's drastic power and low speed makes it more suited to throwing out powerful attacks anyway. It also needs Quick Attack on a lot of its sets, unless it's Scarfed and running U-turn. Diggersby simply doesn't have the moveslot to use Spikes effectively.

You say Jolteon doesn't get any support moves that let it lead well - Jolteon isn't really meant to lead anyway. With access to Volt Switch, it's meant instead to pivot around and place down Spikes. Jolteon actually has some random support moves, like Substitute/Agility + Baton Pass, Yawn and Sing (lol), Rain Dance, Light Screen and Wish. Yes, Jolteon's offensive movepool isn't the greatest, but Hidden Power Ice for BoltBeam coverage is all it really needs, and Shadow Ball/Signal Beam are also options. Just ignore SpD Hippowdon.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
i didnt read the last 3 pages, but just discussing Sylveon and Infernape here:
There are many differences b/w Xerneas, the real geo mon, Smeargle the krook, and Sylveon. In Ubers, Knock Off almost doesn't exist. This means it easily comes in on dark types, not fearing for it's power herb. Smeargle was used to pass, so it just needs that one turn against a slower mon to put it to sleep, then geo and pass. Sylveon, on the other hand, is your fking fairy aka dark resist. This means that you need something else to absorb knock offs, like say keldeo or something. Therefore Sylveon more often than not needs a free switch to do something. Also, this just boosts the usage of Clefable even further, albeit with a different spread. It's also very slow, and outsped by scarf rachi(+2 timid reaches 480). And it needs that max speed to outspeed scarf kyu-b, which could be running iron head more often now. I think that's it?
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Magnezone removes ferro, and does relevant damage to rachi or forces a switch(with uturn), so you can use hp ground on Sylveon for tran(you outspeed scarf tran at +2). I don't think it's god-tier good, since offensive teams dont allow it free teams to set up, stall has unaware, and even balance can keep up pressure. And i believe offensive scoli will still be a thing, so there's that as well. :/

Haven't given much thought to others besides what'd be obvious about them, but i've been thinking about this set for Infernape
Infernape @ Pomeg Berry / Aspear Berry / Yache Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Natural Gift
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn / Stone Edge

Natural Gift(Ice) for bulky chomps and landos, i believe even adamant at +2 outspeeds everything after unburden, you could use jolly for mid-game i guess. Infernape will NEVER eat either of these berries so these are better to use, unlike Ganlon. Also unsure about last move, just put U-Turn there for filler.

Also i believe Sun King is related to AM in some way, both run their threads in a similar way n_N

edit: sun king has scared kids so much they're unsure should they post here or not, so ima just slash stone edge with u-turn as suggested to me by baconbagon

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sylveon is a shit Knock Off absorber because tons of things that commonly run it will fuck it anyway (especially Bisharp) and all of its sets become severely crippled without an item. At least Keldeo can still spam Scald if it loses Specs and things that rely on it being Choice-locked to check now have to think twice.

Also, why would you try to set up in front of something that has Knock Off anyway?

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
I never said to set up in front of a bisharp -.- I just said having a Knock off absorber becomes a top priority, and with the knock off spam that's everywhere(fighting types, even if conk doesnt have poison jab) it's putting a strain on you. Keldeo/Mega Venu/any other mega that doesnt mind coming in on bisharp/weavile is a must. Think of it this way: rocks are to volc what knock off is to sylveon; it's everywhere and you need dedicated support for it.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I mentioned it because the unwritten implication was there.

In stand by my statement that using Sylveon as a Knock Off absorber is dumb with or without Geomancy because it's not a Bisharp check and it can get fucked up by Weavile. You're going to have to run something to deal with Bisharp anyway so you might as well make that eat Knock Offs while you're at it.

SparksBlade

Community Leader
I dont intend to paint it as a knock off absorber either, it's just that i wont like a dedicated 3-mon pool to choose from when looking for a partner for geoveon. Also please point out where this unwritten implication comes from so i can prevent further confusion

Okay cool. I scare children. Everything is going according to plan >:)

IN OTHER NEWS...I'm going to be starting voting soon--if not tonight, then tomorrow. Discussion has been pretty good this slate, so everyone get your last bits out before it's too late.

Have a nice day :)

Unless you're a child; then I'll just yell at you >:D

Sun King

P.S. Can confirm I am related to AM

P.S. Can confirm I am related to AM
Needs more n_n for that AM shine.

This slate has been very solid. I haven't thought much about Spikes Jolteon but it's quite solid in theory as a hazard setter/pivot. I worry that Jolteon's inherent defensive capabilities are too limited to allow it to do much other than 1 layer + volt switch or 2 layers and starting 5-6. Spike stacking offense isn't my forte, though, so I might be underselling.

I'm really sold on Ground/Fairy Donphan, though. It hits just hard enough to ko switch-ins with the RP set, and its speed tier is just good enough to beat 135s with a positive nature after a RP. A defensive spinner set will work if the new Fairy typing differentiates it enough from Exca, who can work as a sort of defensive spinner on balance teams. I think it does; gaining a steel weakness and poison neutrality is peanuts compared to dark and fighting resistances + dragon immunity. Seriously one of the best theorymons I've seen. :)

Looks like I'm late to the party. Here's what I think anyways.
Geomancy Sylveon: I'm not really ever interested in seeing this happen. With +2 in SpA, SpDef, and Spe, Sylveon becomes very hard to kill. To top it off, sylveon is already a decent switch in to many special attackers, so it finds plenty of opportunities to set up. Sylveon can also use its support movepool alongside STAB Hyper Voice to do serious damage while healing with wish or healing off status. Also, what is thing going to be revenge killed by?
+2 252+ SpA Sylveon Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 314-370 (104.3 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Sludge Wave vs. +2 4 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 224-268 (67.4 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. +2 4 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 164-195 (49.3 - 58.7%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 338-402 (101.8 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Are we all going to run Scizor?
Spikes Jolteon: I totally miss what the appeal of fast and frail spikers is supposed to be. If I see a Jolteon, I'm going to throw something stong at it because it will most certainly die from it it it doesn't volt switch out, and if it does volt switch out, whatever comes in will get hit hard anyways. If I decide to run a sash on Jolteon, I'd need to do everything to keep hazards off the field so that my Jolteon can throw down two layers of spikes and die or function as a poor man's pivot. I can't even see this being viable in OU.
Unburden Infernape: What happened to Contrary Infernape? That was my favorite Infernape submission so far and it isn't even an honorable mention. Unburden Infernape is somehow less viable than regular Infernape... Infernape isn't strong enough to make use of a speed boost at the cost of Life Orb.
Ground/Fairy Donphan: This is the clear winner if only by virtue of the other submissions. 4 weaknesses (Water, Ice, Steel, Grass), 4 resistances, and an immunity. Donphan will not be able to sweep if Rotom-W, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, or other bulky mons not weak to its attacks switch in. However, Donphan does roll through the enitre S rank at +2 speed with ease, OHKOing Mega Alt, Megagross, and Char X, as well as 2HKOing Clefable. As a sweeper, Donphan fears common bulky threats that are present on many teams, but can easily sweep a team if these threats are weakened, not present, or removed (it would be great on a magnezone + dragon core). Overall, Donphan gains the greatest leap in viability out of the group, from obscurity to considerably usable, and thus has my vote.

Hey folks,

I know you were expecting voting to start tonight. While I'm trying to get someone on the job, I was unexpectedly whisked away on vacation with my parents, so ill be unable to fulfill my promise from the other day. If nobody gets on it tonight, I'll be sure to have it done before Monday.

Sorry for the delay!

Sun King:heart:

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I got this. Time to begin the voting period!

+ Fairy Typing
+ Geomancy
+ Spikes
+ Unburden

As per usual, vote for your favorite Theorymon on this slate, as well as a Theorymon on the Honorable Mentions list, so your submission should look like mine:

Ground / Fairy Donphan

Honorable Mention:
Virizion + Drought

And below is a list of Honorable Mentions available for voting.
-Virizion + Drought
-Infernape + Prankster
-Tornadus + Competitive
-Noivern + Nasty Plot
-Umbreon + Unaware
-Gastrodon + Poison Heal
-Krookodile + Dragon Dance
-Typhlosion + Drought
-Hydreigon + Protean
-Spiritomb + Dark Aura
-Glalie + Dragon Dance
-Mega Tyranitar + Sand Force
-Forretress + Water Absorb
-Umbreon + Magic Bounce
-Weak Armor Garchomp
-Thick Fat Gogoat
-Desolate Land Mega Camerupt
-Ghost/Fighting Mega Banette + Drain Punch
Happy voting, everyone!

Last edited:
Jolteon + Spikes
Honorable Mention:
Ghost/Fighting Mega Banette + Drain Punch

Also, if you vote Sylveon I will assume you hate everyone and everything. Especially puppies.

Last edited:
Tempted to say Infernape to both just for the shiggles. Anyway, with pain in my heart, I must vote for the fairy. God forgive me.

Donphan + Ground/Fairy

Honorable mention: Hydreigon + Protean.

I got this. Time to begin the voting period!

+ Fairy Typing
+ Geomancy
+ Spikes
+ Unburden

As per usual, vote for your favorite Theorymon on this slate, as well as a Theorymon on the Honorable Mentions list, so your submission should look like mine:

Ground / Fairy Donphan

Honorable Mention:
Virizion + Drought

And below is a list of Honorable Mentions available for voting.

Happy voting, everyone!
Unburden Infernape

Honorable Mention: Desolate Land Mega Camerupt

Also the honorable mention list is slightly out of whack. Is there a reason as to why Desolate Land Mega Camerupt and Ghost/Fighting + Drain Punch Mega Banette were removed? If so I'll change my vote. Also Bug/Ground Mega Beedrill is still on there and has received a vote, even though it won during the Braviary round and it is part of the archive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)