Smogon Grand Slam IV - Introduction | Read post #76

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Credit to Ciele for making the post this is based of.

Hello everybody and welcome to the fourth edition of the Smogon Grand Slam! This year, the ORAS tiers will be represented in the tournament, allowing you to play the UU, LC, Doubles, RU, NU and Ubers metagames in a high-level tournament. Once again, a turquoise trophy is waiting for you, the challenger who is going to win!

The format consists of six separate tournaments: The UU Open, The LC Open, The Doubles Open, The RU Open, The NU Open, and the Ubers Open. However, each player can only enter five out of these six opens. Each tournament is single elimination, best-of-three. Depending on your performance in each Open, you will be awarded points. The point system is the same as the one used in Smogon Tour (see this for further explanation). When all the Opens have been finished, the twelve players with the most points will advance to the play-offs. There the battlers will duke it out in a single elimination best-of-five series (the higher seed will decide which tier will be excluded, but they must inform their opponent within one day of the round being posted) until there is one Grand Slam champion.

Signups for each Open will be posted after the first round of the previous Open is completed. The hosts are allowed to play in the tournament that they are administering, as long as they elect someone else to create pairings. Here is the list of the six Opens with the names of the hosts and the dates each signups will be posted:
  • The UU Open - Hosted by Sam - July 25th
  • The LC Open - Hosted by macle - August 11th
  • The RU Open - Hosted by Oglemi - August 25th
  • The Doubles Open - Hosted by Mizuhime - August 25th
  • The NU Open - Hosted by Raseri - September 8th
  • The Ubers Open - Hosted by Sweep - September 8th
If there are any question, post in this thread and I will answer them as well as I can.

If a tier shift happens to occur during a round, it will not be taken into account until the following round. The same goes for the release of new Pokémon/formes. Keep in mind that this tournament is entirely ORAS and does not include metagames from past generations.

Best of luck to all involved!
_

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The hosts are allowed to play in the tournament that they are administering, as long as they elect someone else to create pairings​

In terms of who is eligible to be elected, what if said person was also a participant of the tournament? Does an electee have to be someone who does not participate in said Open?​

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
In terms of who is eligible to be elected, what if said person was also a participant of the tournament? Does an electee have to be someone who does not participate in said Open?​
yes, the creator of the pairings should not be participating in the tournament.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes, the goal is to ensure that the pairings are not rigged. The person who does the pairings should not participate.
Another option for that is the streaming of the pairings generation (or share screen on skype with me if you can't stream). We want to avoid any pairings-related drama.

Edit: sniped

free pu open
Definitely looking forward to this tournament since i should be able to play more than one open this year
omfuga is probably a favorite for this tournament since he plays at least 3 of the tiers at high level but like the other years anyone can take it :o

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Omfuga give me uu ru nu teams pls
Hack pls give Ubers teams
Rowan pls give LC teams

IN IT TO WIN IT fuck no sleep clause tier

maybe we should make slam into a best of ou tournament. we can have users play dpp, bw, and oras. or we could even do the same thing but with every past generation of ou!

can't wait to toss fuga in every tier 8)

Vinc2612 Ciele Oglemi

I think we should make Grand Slam this year top 12 just like the Smogon Classic. With the increase in player base with ORAS and simply an increased player base year by year, and the fact that we have six tiers in this (and last) Grand Slam, I believe that 8 is just too few for playoffs. However, I agree that 16 was and still is too easy of a point threshold to meet. Thus, I believe that we should compromise and adopt a top 12 format just like the Smogon Classic, with the top 4 seeded players automatically reaching the quarterfinals, and with the 5-12th seeded players having to battle it out bo5 for their spot.

Thoughts? Top 16 is too many, top 8 is too few, so let's Goldilocks this shit and make it top 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)