Splatoon

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but with regards to the debate about motion control, I think it's ultimately the way to go. Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to jump outside of hitting the X button. Thus far, I play exclusively rollers without motion controls because it feels a bit more stabilized to me. That being said, I don't have the finger dexterity to aim my splats and hit jump with the same thumb. I should probably switch over to motion controls, which is a pain because I play video games almost exclusively in an inverted, crunched ball of fuzzy blankets.

Tower Control is a lot of fun. In my mind, it's the mode that suffers the most from no voice chat. Teamwork is absolutely essential, so it'd be nice to designate who takes tower and who protects. That being said, I think it breathes some much needed life into some stages that didn't make a lot of sense in the other modes, such as Port Mackerel and Kelp Dome.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You could learn from this Arcticblast
You say this like I haven't been following his blog since before Splatoon came out
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but with regards to the debate about motion control, I think it's ultimately the way to go. Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to jump outside of hitting the X button. Thus far, I play exclusively rollers without motion controls because it feels a bit more stabilized to me. That being said, I don't have the finger dexterity to aim my splats and hit jump with the same thumb. I should probably switch over to motion controls, which is a pain because I play video games almost exclusively in an inverted, crunched ball of fuzzy blankets.

Tower Control is a lot of fun. In my mind, it's the mode that suffers the most from no voice chat. Teamwork is absolutely essential, so it'd be nice to designate who takes tower and who protects. That being said, I think it breathes some much needed life into some stages that didn't make a lot of sense in the other modes, such as Port Mackerel and Kelp Dome.
When you're using motion controls, be prepared to hit the Y button a lot. Resetting the camera is super useful (especially when you fidget a lot like I do)

Also don't hate on the Port and the Dome, they're super easy to get big point numbers on with chargers :(

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
if you want to know a heavy charger map, look no further than saltspray rig, you have a long terrace where the enemy team can't get up to (though they can still shoot at with longer-range weapons) and a great view of most of the map, excluding that huge square with all the cargo. with the e-liter on tower control, you pretty much have full reign over the tower's entire path. saltspray sucks for chargers and turf war, unless you're content with scoring only about 300 (but then again most stages suck for chargers and turf war)

can i vent about the luna blaster on tower control, you don't even have to aim it to clear the tower ffs. with two large attack boosts, the luna blaster will one-shot non-defense inklings except at the very edge of the explosion's range, so they can just swim up to the base of the tower, shoot straight up and get a few kills before anyone knows what happened. on maps where there's a lot of different ways to approach the tower without being easily noticed, like urchin underpass, luna blaster users will be the most key players

also speaking of balanced weapons

(jk iirc we actually lost that battle)

As we learned ingame from Captain Cuttlefish, water kills squids, so if you chose team waterslide, wouldn't that mean you like killing yourself "gasps"

honestly i wouldn't be surprised at all if this game has a large audience with 0 previous shooter experience, it's like the first e10+ online shooter ever???? not a bad thing tho

honestly i wouldn't be surprised at all if this game has a large audience with 0 previous shooter experience, it's like the first e10+ online shooter ever???? not a bad thing tho
I think that's probably a good assumption. I've been playing Splatoon with my younger brother quite a bit, who hasn't played any other shooter before and he even got used to Splatoon pretty easily.

finally got to level 20 and am currently B+ rank on ranked battles. Once I unlocked the dual squelcher it was mostly smooth sailing, I really enjoy the weapon's great precision and range, able to beat most other blasters while not being helpless at close range. However, once I start getting B+ people and A- a lot of them tend to be really strong dynamo and krak-on-splat rollers that are really difficult to handle. I pretty much switch from krak-on-splat in turf war to dual squelcher in ranked, depending on what stages are available. I enjoy blackbelly skatepark, Saltspray rig, urchin underpass, walleye warehouse, and port mackerel. I dislike the rest and particularly hate kelp dome lol. what are your favorite stages?

also nintendo PLEASE allow us to pre arrange matches, this game has competitive potential imo

Do you mean "requesting roller/charger as one teammate" etc? Or any way of coordinating who uses what weapon? Yes, PLEASE.
Just being able to get a group of people together through the internet (by exchanging friend codes, creating a room and having them join), choosing who's on what team, and having a blast with people you know. This would be useful for what you said and for online tournaments.

Just being able to get a group of people together through the internet (by exchanging friend codes, creating a room and having them join), choosing who's on what team, and having a blast with people you know. This would be useful for what you said and for online tournaments.
Apparently, the August update will add just that, which is pretty fenomenal. It will also add a bunch of new clothes and weapons, one of which seems to be an Inkbrush with Seekers and Bomb Rush :Q__ . .52 Deco is still da best tho.

Apparently, the August update will add just that, which is pretty fenomenal. It will also add a bunch of new clothes and weapons, one of which seems to be an Inkbrush with Seekers and Bomb Rush :Q__ . .52 Deco is still da best tho.
YES
yeah .52 is definitely one of the best guns in the game (2 shot kill lol). Inkbrushes in my experience are at best sub-par (I stopped seeing them for the most part at B- rank), though I guess with added range it could be semi viable. If anyone wants to organize a match maybe we could after the patch comes out.

Since Seekers are a kind of bomb, does that mean seeker rush will be a thing?

For guns, I prefer the dual squelcher and the splattershot pro. the dual squelchers range is fantastic in my opinion, and the rapid-fire is great as well. The splattershot pro has a large damage output, but it has a huge issue in how much ink it uses, but that's really fine with me.

Also, im just waiting for nintendo to release the camp triggerfish map, it looks like such an amazing map to me, and I just hope it comes before, or with the August update.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i still can't believe i haven't replied to this thread yet, even though i've been playing splatoon nearly daily!

-Tynamo-, if you're having problems with how the splattershot pro eats up ink every time you depress the trigger, try seeking out gear with ink saver (main) as the main ability or gear from the in-game brand splash mob, which gives a 5x chance of rolling ink saver (main) for its sub abilities.

imo, the dual squelcher is a great weapon not just for its sub + special combo, but also as a transition weapon between short-range shooters and the jet squelcher. it has the exact same range as the .96 gal and the splattershot pro, but it takes more shots to kill, which isn't too bad, considering its good fire rate. splat bombs + echolocator are a rather nifty sub + special combo and what make this weapon so deadly in the right hands. the custom variant is rather subpar in comparison unless you either have a team that knows how and when to use the squid beakons or are playing tower control.

---

regarding what weapons i like using, i personally main both dynamo rollers thanks to the insane range and ink spread from one flick alone. both variants get amazing sub + special combos, which only make life as a dynamo main easier. the normal variant gets the sprinkler + echolocator, which makes it much easier to keep tabs on my opponents, distract them (in any given match, at least one player will dedicate a moment to destroy a sprinkler that they've spotted), and ink two sections of the map at the same time. this combination gives me the ability to play a hybrid intelligence support + aggressive defense breaking role. the gold variant gets splat bombs + inkstrike, which enable much more aggressive plays and make breaking past an opponent's defenses a simpler task than with the sprinkler and echolocation. as a bonus, both the splat bomb and inkstrike make it easy to dislocate chargers from their nests, which is especially helpful when facing off a competent charger.

as for when i choose to use certain variants of the dynamo, i switch between them as the maps rotate. i run the gold variant if the maps are more open (e.g.: kelp dome, walleye warehouse, blackbelly skatepark) and i use the regular variant if the maps are more choke point-heavy (e.g.: port mackeral, arowana mall, saltspray rig). as for my preferred gear load-outs, i try to get at least two ink saver (main) sub abilities in so i can get one extra flick out there before having to refill my ink tank. i also like having some damage up abilities (three sub abilities across all of my combined gear loadout is good enough) so i can more reliably score kills at ranges where opponents normally have a chance at escaping from the tidal wave that is the dynamo's flick. having some ink recovery up sub abilities is rather handy too. as for unique main abilities, my favorites are cold-blooded (because fuk opposing echolocators) and ink resistance up (because i can keep jumping and flicking ink, even if i happen to land my opponent's ink by accident). i used to be a complete proponent for ninja squid as the main ability of choice for the t-shirt, but the 1.0.3 patch and the further slowdown caused by ninja squid has made it a bit less worthwhile, but still very usable. just remember to pack a three swim speed up sub abilities (or one swim speed up main ability) to counteract the slowdown ninja squid brings. comeback and tenacity are nice to have on my headgear, but i don't consider them as necessary as cold-blooded or ink resistance up.

i've also started dabbling with the e-liter 3k scope, and splatting opponents from quite the distance is rather fun. what can i say? i just like using weapons with incredible range and killing power.

Since Seekers are a kind of bomb, does that mean seeker rush will be a thing?

For guns, I prefer the dual squelcher and the splattershot pro. the dual squelchers range is fantastic in my opinion, and the rapid-fire is great as well. The splattershot pro has a large damage output, but it has a huge issue in how much ink it uses, but that's really fine with me.

Also, im just waiting for nintendo to release the camp triggerfish map, it looks like such an amazing map to me, and I just hope it comes before, or with the August update.
Not to mention that the August update will also add the "capture the flag" mode or whatever it's called (it's called "operation goldenfish" in italian), which is neat.
I only use the .52 Deco and the Dynamo Roller (and seldomly the octobrush as well) because those are the only weapons I can efficiently both cover turf and splat people with, and they also provide some degree of sufficiency against laggers (by splatting them before their delayed bullets hit you, which is extremely annoying).

Speaking of gears, what combination of clothes/skills is everybody using/finding itself comfortable with? I've been fine with Studio Headphones/ Octarian /Blue Moto Boots which give me Ink Saver Main/Sub, Ink Resistance Up, Special Time Up and Special Charge Up, while looking rather nice as well.

EDIT:I don't really have a strategy for each map, but I do have some "goals" I try to accomplish depending on which weapon i'm using: if i'm using the Gal, i'll try to either get to the zone/s as soon as possible with the aid of the seekers or sneak behind the enemy lines (with a seeker ofc) and get 1-2 splats before retreating to my zone and slowing down the enemy; if i'm using the dynamo i'll get the sprinkler on the zone and tidal wave away to discourage opponents from getting close, eventually pressuring by getting close to their spawn point when the situation arises;with the Luna blaster i get to the tower/zone, set a mine and try to get close and personal, rinse and repeat; the Octobrush is a faster krak-on, so I dash to a couple safe places, drop some beacons and try to ambush opponents who are distracted while firing away; when sniping I get to a safe position and go from there, and if the need arises i get to the front line and try to pressure opponents ("try" because I have very shaky aiming skills with the e-liters and such >_<).

Last edited:
I forget the name of the gear that I use, but I prefer to get gear that has a couple key abilities: stealth jump, ink saver, ink resistance and ninja squid. Ninja squid did get nerfed a bit but imo it's still worth it. I used to find chargers super annoying, but now that I have ink squid on certain stages (notably blackbelly skatepark and saltspray rig) they're not really annoying anymore, but on stages where they have a lot of places to shoot from (basically arowana mall, best stage for chargers IMO). I've been trying to master a stategy on every stage, here are the ones I think i'm fairly good at (as dual squelcher).
Blackbelly skatepark: On this stage I like to let my team cover the splatzone closest to our spawn point while I take a left instead of a right and try to ink as much of this area as possible my color before the other team gets done inking their area. From here, I immediately start swimming back and forth, back and forth, as this is the area that the opposing team likes to stage their offense from. They essentially can't ignore me, as if there's nobody there I can ink their splatzone. I also have the range and the ninja squid to sneak up on and quickly beat chargers from the high elevation points. As a ranged weapon, I find this really effective.
Saltspray rig: go to the splatzone. fast. nothing else matters. Once one team establishes themselves, it is very hard for the other team to get into the splatzone without bubbler once the otehr team is there. I always go directly to inking the area behind the splatzone, so I can have quick pivoting between the two charger towers so I can splat them before they do harm. Often if I get frustrated with this level i'll switch to a weapon with bubller. I highly recommend bubbler for this level, as it is the best ability for stopping the other team.

edit: i've been having trouble on certain other stages, notably kelp dome. What are your strategies? (this is for ranked, btw, but if you want to post turf war that works)

Last edited:

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
so many rollers, this makes me sick. real men use chargers and the spattershot jr.

for gear, i need ninja squid and ink resistance, and for the last large slot i usually go special charge up because why not. as for the smaller boosts, i have three swim ups and i sink the rest into more special charge ups (because nothing's more annoying than someone who can pop the bubbler at almost every enemy encounter)

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
You can never have enough quick spawn gear ;)

I finally beat that boss, and I'm loving the kraken roller. Also, how do you get better gear? Do they just randomly pop up in the shops?

You can never have enough quick spawn gear ;)

I finally beat that boss, and I'm loving the kraken roller. Also, how do you get better gear? Do they just randomly pop up in the shops?
They randomly appear in shops (more commonly as you level up), with new gear appearing each day. From there, you can go to spike and get extra slots put on to your gear.

Reactions: TPP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)