Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

What are good teammates for Rock Polish Rhydon?
A Healing Wish user is amazing when paired with a Rock Polish Rhydon, letting you take advantage of its offensive presence in the early/mid game and then top it off late game to clean. Mesprit and Scarf Lilligant are the most consistent options for that role, and they both have good type synergy with Rhydon.

Grass types in general work well with Rhydon, since they soak up the Water and Grass attacks Rhydon is 4X weak to while it covers for their Fire and Flying weaknesses. Grass type attackers also deal with Pokemon like Quagsire and Claydol that shut down a double dance Rhydon's sweep.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
SotheBlacKnight
It has some haters, though, who I'm sure will speak up to disagree with my opinion on the mon haha
Ask and ye shall receive

Vanilluxe @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Autotomize

It's averagely fast, very strong, and has great coverage because of Freeze-Dry. Weak Armor pairs nicely with its actually fairly impressive bulk, giving it a speed boost on a weak u-turn or priority move. Autotomize is, imo, is biggest niche over other Freeze-Dry Ice-types, such as Cryogonal and Aurorus. It's surprisingly hard to revenge kill at +2 if you don't have a Steel-type/Gurdurr. Other options for moveslots include Ice Shard/Explosion (because of its fair attack stat), Flash Cannon for other, bulky Ice-types, and Hidden Power Ground for Fire- and Steel-type coverage.
This isn't true, as Aurorus has access to Rock Polish which means it can also zip past the tier and smack stuff with superior attacks (Refrigerate Hyper Voice for power, Refrigerate Nature Power to avoid Sucker Punch users) and coverage (Earth Power); also Aurorus resists Fake Out and Gale Wings Acrobatics while Vanilluxe gets shredded due to Weak Armor :/. All Vanilluxe really has going for it is that it has the strongest Freeze-Dry in the tier, Weak Armor which can sometimes work for it (though with that typing it's difficult to pull off, or, in the case of the Autotomize set, can even hinder it as it get eaten up by priority), and a half usable Attack stat that contains moves such as Ice Shard and Explosion. Otherwise, Vanilluxe is about on par at best with other lesser used Ice-types such as Lapras and Regice.

Also Dis I don't blame u for putting 4 random Atk EVs on Vanilluxe cos it's only fitting that a mediocre mon warrants a mediocre set :P.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This isn't true, as Aurorus has access to Rock Polish which means it can also zip past the tier and smack stuff with superior attacks (Refrigerate Hyper Voice for power, Refrigerate Nature Power to avoid Sucker Punch users) and coverage (Earth Power); also Aurorus resists Fake Out and Gale Wings Acrobatics while Vanilluxe gets shredded due to Weak Armor :/. All Vanilluxe really has going for it is that it has the strongest Freeze-Dry in the tier, Weak Armor which can sometimes work for it (though with that typing it's difficult to pull off, or, in the case of the Autotomize set, can even hinder it as it get eaten up by priority), and a half usable Attack stat that contains moves such as Ice Shard and Explosion. Otherwise, Vanilluxe is about on par at best with other lesser used Ice-types such as Lapras and Regice.
I'm aware Aurorus can use Rock Polish, I'm the biggest proponent of Aurorus in the tier. However, I genuinely believe Vanilluxe is more suited to the set up sweeper role than Aurorus. To start, Aurorus is much slower than Vanilluxe, meaning Vanilluxe will find a number of set up opportunities by forcing out the majority of the base 60-70 speed tier (Ludicolo, Samurott, Barbaracle, weakened Flareons, and an honorable mention to any offensive Poliwraths who choose not to invest in bulk). Scarf Rotom, Scarf Lilligant, and Scarf Jynx also outspeed +2 Aurorus, but not +2 Vanilluxe. Similarly, Vanilluxe dismantles weather teams at +2, being threatened only by Kabu and Stoutland. Aurorus also does not have the defensive typing to maintain a sweep because of its extra x4 weaknesses to Steel- and Fighting-types and an extra weakness to Water-types basically boiling down a much more serious issue with priority than Weak Armor Vanilluxe has. Gurdurr, Poliwrath, and Hariyama (I'm aware Vanilluxe is also hard walled by this, but it will at least be in a better position vs a weakened Hariyama than Aurorus) can basically kill Aurorus at any point in the game, whereas Vanilluxe can typically take a hit from close to full, which means it'll do more damage before it's forced out/killed. The Water-type weakness means Aurorus is also pressured by Kabutops/Samurott a great deal more than Vanilluxe. You can make the case for Fake Out and Acro, but Vanilluxe is not forced into running Weak Armor. One of the paddling teams has Ice Body Vanilluxe because it "comes with no drawbacks." I'd say the only real niche Aurorus has over Vanilluxe as a set up sweeper is Earth Power so it doesn't have to weaken AV Mag and Klinklang as much as Vanilluxe, but I'd say it's a small niche.

Also Dis I don't blame u for putting 4 random Atk EVs on Vanilluxe cos it's only fitting that a mediocre mon warrants a mediocre set :P.
I consistently put the 4 EVs remaining into stats that don't matter because that 1 point doesn't make any difference whatsoever. However, it just so happened I imported this set from an Ice Shard Vanilluxe I was trying out because my team was a bit weak to Fast Flying-types, in case you were wondering about the true origin of the mysterious, worthless 4 Attack EVs.

Last edited:
uhm... it holds Regenerator I believe, but not after the mega evolution
That I know. When I selected regenerator in the teambuilder, it is healer when I start the battle. I hover over the pokemon to be sure and sure enough there is healer.

Maybe it is bug or something.

In teambuilder, are you using Audino-Mega, or regular Audino? If you select Audino-Mega in teambuilder then it's going to default to the standard ability even if you change it to the desired one, afaik

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Audino has Healer as a regular ability according to the ps teammaker. Just change it there.

Ya solved the problem by reloading showdown, going to teambuilding and changing the ability. Thanks for all the help.

Why do people run Rock Climb on Tauros over Body Slam? Sure it has 5 more BP but it also has 15% less accuracy. Are there any important KOs Rock Climb gets that Body Slam doesn't?

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Dazzling Gleam

So I've been using this set a little bit on the ladder for MAudino and I've had a fair amount of success with it. I mostly needed a fairy pivot that could heal teammates. What do you guys think? Is this set actually decent or is it unviable?

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
Audino @ Audinite
Modest Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Dazzling Gleam

So I've been using this set a little bit on the ladder for MAudino and I've had a fair amount of success with it. I mostly needed a fairy pivot that could heal teammates. What do you guys think? Is this set actually decent or is it unviable?
Offensive WishTect Audino is a cool pivot, I used to use it a fair bit. Typically I don't run max special attack but run some bulk for stuff like Kangaskhan for example, but that works. The only thing is that Hyper Voice+Dazzling Gleam coverage is kinda redundant, and I would recommend running Fire Blast>Hyper Voice, though Hyper Voice is nice for Fire-types I guess

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Audino @ Audinite
Modest Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Dazzling Gleam

I wouldn't use hyper voice since it doesn't hit much you don't already hit with dazzling gleamed, and doesn't help with steels. This set can become a cool lure set with Fire Blast instead to beat Klinklang on the switch or Ferroseed and Mawile!

Sometimes NU makes me sad.You know,For Pokemon like Beheeyem,Beartic and such there so good but yet they never get used. By the way you might not know my name İts Vicki,İm new around here.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sometimes NU makes me sad.You know,For Pokemon like Beheeyem,Beartic and such there so good but yet they never get used. By the way you might not know my name İts Vicki,İm new around here.
Hi Vicki, welcome to NU!

Personally NU became one of my favorite tiers because of the ability to use more niche mons like Beartic and Beheeyem competitively. If you're looking to get into playing NU I'd be sure to check out this thread for info on all our forums projects and resources: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/nu-info.3544663/

And if you really want a team with Beheeyem or Beartic you can request that a more experienced player build you one in this thread here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-oras-nu-teambuilding-lab-open.3531285/

Enjoy your stay here, we're glad to have you around!

Last edited:
Hi Vicki, welcome to NU!

Personally NU became one of my favorite tiers because of the ability to use more niche mons like Beartic and Beheeyem competitively. If you're looking to get into playing NU I'd be sure to check out this thread for info on all our forums projects and resources: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/nu-info.3544663/

And if you really want a team with Beheeyem or Beartic you can request that a more experienced player build you one in this thread here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-oras-nu-teambuilding-lab-open.3531285/

Enjoy your stay here, we're glad to have you around!
No im an competitive nu player and know my stuff ;3 thanks though,Just knew to smogon

There's been a website redesign since I played back in BW. I really miss the pokedex being sortable by base stats. Was that functionality removed?

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There's been a website redesign since I played back in BW. I really miss the pokedex being sortable by base stats. Was that functionality removed?
Yes, as far as I know that feature has been removed from smogon.

If you're looking for a dex that still allows you to sort Pokemon by their base stats, I believe both Serebii and Veekun will allow you to do so. While you still can't search within specific tiers, Veekun will still let you narrow your search based on certain values (type, known moves, ability, evolution stage, etc.) so i'd reccomend their website if you really miss that feature http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/search

What makes Shiftry better than Cacturne? I understand the speed and Knock Off is nice, but Cacturne hits harder and has a Water immunity, and I don't think Defog is that huge of a move on Shiftry.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
What makes Shiftry better than Cacturne? I understand the speed and Knock Off is nice, but Cacturne hits harder and has a Water immunity, and I don't think Defog is that huge of a move on Shiftry.
A better Speed tier really helps as well as its access to Knock Off. Cacturne does have its niche in Spikes, Destiny Bond, and a Water immunity, but Shiftry can go mixed better thanks to it having a better Grass STAB in Leaf Storm while being able to still Sucker Punch like Cacturne as well as Knock Off items.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)