Project The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition V2 - Victini (Voting: Post #275)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Choice Scarf Latias

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire / Trick
- Healing Wish

While this set seems outclassed by Latios, Latias separates itself by its access to Healing Wish. Scarf Latias provides you with a good revenge killer that can outspeed almost the entire unboosted metagame (and most other Scarf users) while also hitting hard off base 110 SpA. Hidden Power Fire allows Latias to cripple Scizor, Bisharp and Ferrothorn while Trick allows you to troll Chansey and defensive mons. Be wary of Tyranitar if you use this set though.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus

Latias @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Whirlpool
- Reflect Type
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse / Psyshock / Thunder Wave

Set and EVs are standard for Mega Latias, taking on the defensive approach - outpacing Jolly Garchomp and anything slower. However, Whirlpool really is where this set differentiates itself. Whirlpool may sound gimmicky, but it is a perfectly viable option, as it can trap its usual answers, such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, Weavile, Heatran, Ferrothorn, Excadrill, Jirachi, Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, Klefki... the list goes on. After trapping and ensuring the foe takes residual damage each turn, Mega Latias can then use Reflect Type to weaken the effectiveness of their attacks, and whittle away with its chosen move. Other options for the last slot include Ice Beam, Psywave, Hidden Power Fire, etc.

Last edited:
Pure Support Latias

Latias @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 12 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock / Dragon Pulse
- Roost / Wish
- Healing Wish

This set is used as a pure support set running both Defog Support and Healing Wish. Psyshock or Dragon Pulse is used to stop it from being taunt bait, Dragon Pulse provides better neutral coverage, while Psyshock hits important threats like M-Venusaur and Keldeo. The last moveslot varies, running Roost for better self-preservation or Wish for better team support. EVs allow for it to outspeed maximum speed 108's (Keldeo) so that it can check them and get fast heals off. Max Speed allows better Healing Wishes as well. The rest is invested in bulk and a little into SpA.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Psycho Shift Latias

Latias (F) @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psycho Shift
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Pretty simple stuff. Flame Orb + Psycho Shift allows Latias to be an annoying burn spreader, crippling its counters in Bisharp and Tyranitar and allowing it to take a Pursuit, come back in later on and heal off the damage. It also screws over mons such as Azumarill, Garchomp, and other Dragons. Toxic Orb can be used to cripple defensive mons such as Hippowdon, Slowbro etc, but it really hurts Latias' longevity which is already hindered pretty badly by burn damage.

252 Atk burned Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 147-174 (48.8 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
252 Atk Life Orb burned Bisharp Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 181-214 (60.1 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Seeing this set brings back fond memories of my first serious balance team in gen 5...
Screens Latias

Latias @ Light Clay
EVs: 248 HP / 44 def / 216 spe
Bold Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Recover/Draco Meteor
- Tailwind/Draco Meteor/Psyshock/Defog

Latias makes for a reliable dual screener, able to get screens up using it's goid speed allowing it to outpace Bisharp, Lando-T and Tankchomp, all of which would be able to hurt it with an SE attack if it was slower, as well as having good bulk and recovery to reliably screen for balanced teams. The last slot could be whatever you like, ranging from an attack (my personal fave so you're not setup bait), tailwind, defog and more. You could run screens + STAB + Healing wish with a faster build, although Latios is a better YOLO screen setter, Latias is only decent at the role due to good bulk making it be able to screen multile times per match.
Defog is completely counterproductive for this set as it clears screens from both sides of the field, meaning that you are setting up screens only to clear them again if rocks are set up while the dual screens are active. Also, I think that Healing Wish is a must on this set as it means that it can give something a free switch to take full advantage of the screens to set up.

But I digress. Here is a neat thing that I used a while back when I needed something to check offense:

Mono-Attacking Thunder Wave Latias

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Draco Meteor / Psychic
- Defog / Healing Wish

The aim of this set was to lure in stuff like Bisharp and cripple them with Thunder Wave. The rest of the moveset was tailored around Thunder Wave tbh. The first move I chose was Recover as I knew that this set would need the ability to stay healthy to take best advantage of Thunder Wave. Then I decided to give it an attack, and I finished off with the third support option. Really, this set is primarily a lure designed to allow Latias to take on Bisharp. However, it worked due to my team being weak to hyper offense and being out of teamslots, and I had Latias in there already anyway so I gave it Thunder Wave! I don't suggest that you use Psyshock on this set as, if you choose to use psychic coverage over dragon coverage (as it is mono-attacking), you need it to be as powerful as possible due to not having the Draco Meteor to fall back on.

I'd like to see someone here make Charm work. It could in theory be a good way for Latias to escape Pursuit trappers and give teammates a chance to set up.

Psywave Mega Latias

Latias (F) @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog / Wish / Roar
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Psywave

Psywave is a slightly less consistent version of Seismic Toss and Night Shade, that does more damage to the usual Steel types than Psychic or Dragon Pulse, covering everything from Heatran to Ferrothorn to Metagross in one move. As bonuses, it has a chance of breaking 101HP Substitutes and ignores Calm Mind boosts like Psyshock.

Defog, Wish and Roar let you support the team in addition to tanking hits, without offing yourself like Healing Wish. I wouldn't recommend replacing Thunder Wave with any of them, though, because it would a bit too passive otherwise.

The EVs let it outspeed Charizard and hit it with Thunder Wave.

It can't hit Dark types, but neither can Psychic sets.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
then there's a glitch with showdown, or bulbapedia is wrong (which happens a lot) because ive used defog w/o clearing my own screens.
I've just looked it up in a few different places now, and I've found a thread on the Marriland forums detailing its effect in gen 6. Quoting the part of the post which details some of the key differences between it and Rapid Spin from a competitive standpoint:
Defog CAN be blocked by Taunt.

Defog CANNOT be blocked by Ghost type 'spinblockers'.

Defog removes Light Screen and Reflect on both sides of the field, but does not remove Leech Seed.
So, according to this, Defog does clear dual screens from your side of the field. The fact that it doesn't do so on the sim is most likely due to a bug on showdown.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've just looked it up in a few different places now, and I've found a thread on the Marriland forums detailing its effect in gen 6. Quoting the part of the post which details some of the key differences between it and Rapid Spin from a competitive standpoint:

So, according to this, Defog does clear dual screens from your side of the field. The fact that it doesn't do so on the sim is most likely due to a bug on showdown.
welp

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Voting:

Yuruuu’s Tailwind Latias
Human Mystery Box’s Flame Orb + Psycho Shift Latias
Albacore’s Wish Mega Latias
s0me1 b0red’s Dual Screen’s Latias
Jaguar360’s SubCM + Lefties Latias
Fire-breather Richard’s Scarf Latias
DarkNostalgia’s Whirlpool Mega Latias
EternalSnowman’s Pure Support Latias
gamer boy’s Mono-Attacking Thunder Wave Latias
KidMagic’s Tanky Lead Latias
Toljik’s Psywave Mega Latias

Please bold your vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)