CAP 21 - Part 1 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first glance, I don't see anything that could be done with this other than building an entire mon around Heavy Slam/Heat Crash, which I can't imagine would be very interesting. Building around an opponent's Low Kick/Grass Knot is beyond gimmicky and situational, and weight-altering moves/abilities only matter in relation to those few moves that are affected by weight. Do you have any clearer ideas as to how this concept could work?

Edit: Also, I think you meant that Bisharp can run Low Kick. There's no way the Grass Knot example is true.
ah I just realized that, I meant low kick ... I'm crying at this mistake wtf

Name: Illegal Opportunities

General Description: This Pokemon will have many incredible options for attacking/supporting, but will have illegalities when it comes to pairing some options with a preferred ability or setup/recovery option.

Justification: Forcing a Pokemon to forgo some options such as coverage or powerful set-up moves in favor of an strong ability or other moves allows us to learn a lot about what players will choose to run on different playstyles. On balance one might opt to give CAP more longevity, whereas on offense they would choose to wear down checks and counters to other Pokemon even if it means choosing not to run its hidden ability. This also adds more importance on scouting movesets, and at high level play, bluffing sets with CAP could result in the opponent playing recklessly with and losing an important answer to the set that you are running, because they are under the assumption that you haven't run a certain option.

Questions To be Answered:

-What Hidden Ability creates a significant niche for CAP even if using it means not using a very good option?
-How can a player exploit the variety of viable options and possible restrictions of CAP to expose weaknesses on an opponents team?
-How can we create a Pokemon that can either beat one threat or the other?
-In what situations is it favorable to beat one threat over the other?

Explanation: Ok. So there are two directions we could take this. CAP could be an offensive monster with a hidden ability such as Sheer Force, Tough Claws, etc. but when using this ability lacks a certain important coverage option that would allow it to beat something that normally walls it or is a massive threat, or a set-up move that would allow it to rip through walls. If we went with this approach we would have to differentiate the primary ability(ies) enough from the hidden to beat different mons. Options for the primary abilities are things like Justified or Water Absorb that make it an important switch-in to Bisharp or Keldeo, or Guts which allows it to absorb status and beat Stall.

Defensively, CAP's Hidden Ability would be something like Magic Bounce/Guard, Unaware, Poison Heal... And would still keep recovery and standard wall options like status and attacking moves, but forgoing a crazy good ability that accentuates its already good bulk would allow it to run possible options like Heal Bell or Wish, maybe things like Thunder Wave or Will-o-Wisp to support a team. In terms of primary abilities, immunity abilities or something like Natural Cure/Overcoat, while still good, would definitely not push CAP into A+/S Rank territory, while if it had say, Magic Bounce, Heal Bell, Will-o-Wisp, and a good typing, it would definitely be up there.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Time to Tip the Scales - Weight is not nearly enough to base a CAP off of. literally the only weight based move that sees any usage at all ever is low kick on bisharp and even that's kind of rare. All this would be is "give heat crash /heavy slam 120 BP: the concept," and that sounds boring no matter how you cut it.

Illegal Oppertunities - It's called 4MSS, it happens all the time in mons.

also i'm banning further discussion of don't turn around because a. garchomp and b. the arguments are clearly going nowhere fast and have already taken up over half a page.

tehy

Banned deucer.

General Description: This Pokemon will have many incredible options for attacking/supporting, but will have illegalities when it comes to pairing some options with a preferred ability or setup/recovery option.

Justification: Forcing a Pokemon to forgo some options such as coverage or powerful set-up moves in favor of an strong ability or other moves allows us to learn a lot about what players will choose to run on different playstyles. On balance one might opt to give CAP more longevity, whereas on offense they would choose to wear down checks and counters to other Pokemon even if it means choosing not to run its hidden ability. This also adds more importance on scouting movesets, and at high level play, bluffing sets with CAP could result in the opponent playing recklessly with and losing an important answer to the set that you are running, because they are under the assumption that you haven't run a certain option.

-What Hidden Ability creates a significant niche for CAP even if using it means not using a very good option?
-How can a player exploit the variety of viable options and possible restrictions of CAP to expose weaknesses on an opponents team?
-How can we create a Pokemon that can either beat one threat or the other?
-In what situations is it favorable to beat one threat over the other?

Explanation: Ok. So there are two directions we could take this. CAP could be an offensive monster with a hidden ability such as Sheer Force, Tough Claws, etc. but when using this ability lacks a certain important coverage option that would allow it to beat something that normally walls it or is a massive threat, or a set-up move that would allow it to rip through walls. If we went with this approach we would have to differentiate the primary ability(ies) enough from the hidden to beat different mons. Options for the primary abilities are things like Justified or Water Absorb that make it an important switch-in to Bisharp or Keldeo, or Guts which allows it to absorb status and beat Stall.

Defensively, CAP's Hidden Ability would be something like Magic Bounce/Guard, Unaware, Poison Heal... And would still keep recovery and standard wall options like status and attacking moves, but forgoing a crazy good ability that accentuates its already good bulk would allow it to run possible options like Heal Bell or Wish, maybe things like Thunder Wave or Will-o-Wisp to support a team. In terms of primary abilities, immunity abilities or something like Natural Cure/Overcoat, while still good, would definitely not push CAP into A+/S Rank territory, while if it had say, Magic Bounce, Heal Bell, Will-o-Wisp, and a good typing, it would definitely be up there.
I actually like this concept, and I fully disagree with Nyttyn.

Let's say this mon is a Fire-type with Sheer Force and great coverage moves, but it has no good STABs legal with sheer force (mystical fire, let's say, or even ember). So it can either have much stronger coverage and an ~ok STAB (or none at all) or a strong stab and great coverage but not nearly as much power on said coverage (and it takes LO recoil if it wants to use an LO). This isn't 4mss at all; you have to make a choice between two fundamentally different sets, not so much just 1 coverage move to break X counter.

there's a ton of directions to go with this; that said, i'd like to bring up that, with our current length playtest, there wouldn't be the kind of time a mon like this needs to teach us much. then again, I dislike our current length playtest to begin with, so if it were to be scrapped for this 'mon that would really be a bonus...still if CAP staff won't agree then this is almost a non-starter.

Illegal Opportunities:
I think this is a great concept, much like what tehy is saying. It is very rare that a mon has to run two different sets that achieve the same goal despite being different. tehy's example is great, but on the defensive side it still is a huge area we can explore. With many prominent defensive abilities like Poison Heal and such being able to make/break a mon I would say illegalties like SR+Defog+MagicGuard or something like that where you would have to pick between 2 moves to be able to work. Overall this is one of the best concepts so far in my opinion with a lot of room to expand on and learn about a pokemon.

Assassin to Cleaner:
This is also a great concept in my opinion. With the exception of M-Gyarados, very few mons find any reason to not Mega Evolve on their first turn/first attacking turn (M-Sharpedo). Even in the case of M-Gyarados it still doesn't use both forms to their full potential since it often Mega Evolves after finishing boosting. The only real problem I have with this mon is that I feel that it could become either overpowered or over centralizing, should it take a wrong turn in the development process. Since in theory the concept suggests no shared counters between the base and Mega form so in one turn it is almost guaranteed to at least cripple something. I feel that the concept is good, however I think that careful work needs to be done to be able to fine-tune our CAP to turn out to be a good product.

EDIT: Didn't know about the Mega CAP thing, so ignore the post if you want.

Last edited:
Name: hazard control

General Description: a Pokémon that is able to not only prevent the setup of entry hazards, but is also able to remove them reliably throughout the match

Justification: positive effect on the metagame — right now entry hazards are staples on every competitive team, and they are often easy to keep up either through offensive pressure or spin locking.

Questions To Be Answered: how will we make it so that this mon isn't over centralizing?
How do we make this mon fit well into the OU metagame?
How do we justify the usage of this mon over another rapid spinner?
How do we ensure that this mon is able to reliably perform its role consistently in the majority of matchups?
Do we focus on its offensive or defensive capabilities in regard to how it functions?

Explanation: many people have complained about hazards being over centralizing in every generation since their inception (bar like GSC), so having a mon that is able to remove them without fear from common ways of preventing removal (such as spinblocking or defiant) would benefit the metagame greatly, at least in my opinion. Ideally this mon would be immune to spikes and neutral or resistant to stealth Rock, such as a levitating mon.

Right now, OU lacks reliable ways of removing hazards. While we do have good spinners in Excadrill and Starmie, and defoggers such as lati@s and Zapdos, they all suffer from problems that affect how well they are able to remove hazards. Excadrill suffers from a poor speed tier outside of sand, and it loses to common stealth rock and spikes setters such as Lando t, Hippowdon, bulky chomp, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn, depending on if its LO or not. Starmie has a good speed tier, but offensive variants die very quickly, and defensive variants give free turns to powerful special attackers or mons that don't care about scald, and it straight up loses to mega Sab.

Many OU defoggers, such as Mandibuzz and Zapdos, suffer from a stealth rock weakness. Skarmory doesn't, but it would much rather dedicate a moveslot to a move such as spikes or whirlwind so it can perform well in other roles. The most used defoggers, the Lati twins, have the fewest flaws in my eyes, but they are still susceptible to Bisharp, and they can be pursuit trapped, which can either limit them to one Defog, or prevent it entirely. OU would definitely benefit from a hazard remover that is capable of the following:
  • Defeating or forcing out common hazard setters
  • Have workarounds to common answers to hazard removal
  • Still perform some sort of role when it is not removing hazards, whether the role be offensive or defensive.
There are many ways to approach this, and this leaves a lot of room for creativity while still focusing on a clear-cut goal.
I for one find this the most interesting concept presented thus far. Integer is correct when they say that there are multiple avenues to come about the end product. Hazard prevention was mentioned and just having a spinner/defogger that can beat most of the spin blockers or pokes that pressure traditional hazard removers.

This concept is extremely realivant to today's meta in the fact that hazards are staples of nearly every form of team. Having a utility pole that can prevent hazards and reliably clear them would be incredibly interesting to work on.

Do to its relevance and the scope of options that can be used to pursue the end product I'm excited by this one.

Name: The Puzzler
General Description: A pokemon that is purely designed to be a puzzle to defeat, not something that can be defeated by common methods but actually forces a person to think on how to defeat it.
Justification:
Try to think back to a time when you saw your very first shedinja in a pokemon game, you were probably going "how the heck do I ko this thing" until you solved the puzzle and it's 1 hp dropped in a flash. Shedinja was probably most of ours first encounter to a pokemon that brute force alone could not solve, but you had to think to ko it. As we got better we ran into a few other niche sets that made us really think of how to ko that pokemon (which I will list several more in my explanation below). These pokemon have some unkillable aspect about them unless you solve the puzzle they induce: the moment you solve the puzzle, their hollow armor caves in and kills them. So much of the metagame now in days is brute force to win, people should think more. I ultimately envision something with many different sets that can be puzzles and I think coming up with those would be a lot of fun for everyone.
Questions To Be Answered:
  • What are typical and atypical methods to ko a pokemon?
  • What can turn a pokemon into a puzzle?
  • What conditions bring about hollow invincibility?
  • How can we make puzzles that still take effort to resolve?
  • How does abstract thinking affect a pokemon match?
  • What application would a pokemon like this have on your team?
Explanation:
I know that I love a good puzzle and many people here do as well.
Some of the sets I believe are puzzles. There are many more, but these are to name a few.
  • Lvl 1 Cottonee with focus sash, prankster, sub, protect, leech seed, and toxic/encore (it can stall nearly forever if you cannot figure out the only ways to beat it are volt/turn, rapid spin, infiltrator, multi hit moves, priority, or grass types; those who have faced this set know the monster it is)
  • FEAR Aron with shell bell, sturdy, endeavor, and sandstorm (and endless FEAR pokemon with weaknesses of residual multi hit moves, mold breaker, and ghost types; you have probably encountered this a few times and been very upset)
  • Wobbuffet with custap berry, shadow tag, mirror coat, destiny bond, encore (everyone has faced this and been annoyed when their attack comes right back in their face and many pokemon are ko'd; ways to defeat easily include good prediction with a mixed attacker, a physical ghost pokemon, a special dark pokemon, and status moves)
  • Aegislash with leftovers, swords dance, shadow sneak, sacred sword, and king's shield (This is an all out prediction dual, the only way to win is to out predict your opponent)
  • Sturdy shedinja in balanced hackmons or combinatorially made in triples (Only weakness is residual damage)
The pokemon in my mind would ultimately be frail but have some combo that keeps it at a near invincible status with only very specific weaknesses. It would have to have a movepool and ability pool that many different puzzle combinations are possible with each inducing it's own very specific set of weaknesses. Bringing a mentally threatening pokemon into a battle could create some very different tactics compared to the oh so common brute force strategies today that are mindless. This could also give CAP a chance to explore a lot of aspects that we really have not delved into before. I wold just like to create a pokemon that forces a much higher thinking level to defeat than the current meta. I hope everyone will like to solve this puzzle of a concept with me.

Last edited:
Name: Enviro Tank
General Description: This will be a slow, bulky physical attacking wall using Either Terrain or Weather in order to boost it's offenses or defenses.
Justification: Ever since Gen VI entered the fray, we got a new toy to mess around with in form of Terrain moves (Grassy Terrain, Electric Terrain Etc), and I've noticed they have been extremely un-utilized to a very large degree. Seeing as they are a new mechanic (albeit quite small), it's always been shafted in favor of Weather, and I would like to see this change. It gives this Pokémon a unique nische as Terrains are very underused, as the only Pokémon to benefit more than any other one from Terrains is Gogoat with it's Grass Pelt Ability. Look at the amount of Weather Related abilities. Yeah, I think I have proven my point. It's a new mechanic, and why not test it out properly?
1. How can we best utilize these new tools in form of the Terrain moves Game Freak has given us?
2. Which Type Combination would benefit the most out of the terrains without standing out too much?
3. Would a new ability be necessary for a concept like this to work? Or can we use something that's already present within the games? If so, which Ability?
4. What stats would be scary enough for an offensive tank like this without making it too scary?
5. What sort of impact would an effective Terrain using Pokémon have on the meta-game?

Explanation: I think this new mechanic they introduced in Gen VI has a lot of untapped potential, and I wish to change that with this Enviro Tank. And it would give the Meta-game a unique twist which I think is needed honestly.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Name: Enviro Tank
The Terrain moves are not used because they are currently inferior to the weather moves (which still don't see much use). Until such a time as more upgrades or abilities work with them, I'm not approving this concept, because as it currently stands, the terrain moves need something extra to make them truly viable.

Name: The Puzzler
I really, really like the idea of this, but I think we might struggle with implementation. You want a create a pokemon that isn't beaten by normal means, which is to begin with, very difficult, and you ideally want to keep a pokemon balanced. Whats hard to do with this concept, is creating a balancing act, on the one hand, the pokemon NEEDS to not be easily beaten by like, the standard means of handling it, but on the other, it also needs to not restrict teambuilding in an unhealthy way. For instance, say we created a pokemon that could only be killed by a damaging weather. Every team would need to run Sandstorm or Hail to avoid flat out losing to it. I guess FEAR/1 HP Mons works as a strat, but I think its a binary idea. Either the mon is so good that it restricts teambuilding in an unhealthy way, or its not good at what it does / is easily beaten, and therefore receives no usage at all.

I don't like the Aegislash example, because it was just banned because everyone hated the 50/50 prediction you had to handle it. If you make a pokemon based around the same principal you have the same problems. Custap Berry Wobb is a special case, and its difficult to pull this off with a CAP, when everyone would see that tactic coming.

This would be a hard one to implement in this current generation, as all egg moves are fully compatible with each other, and TMs are fully available. The only thing I currently see that this would work would be event only moves, baby pokemon or adding complex bans to the pokemon post creation. This would have been a cool concept to play around with pre gen 6, but it looks pretty impossible now.

I was thinking along the lines of hidden abilities. Given, I'm not very well versed on he interactions of moves and HAs and such, I'd like anyone else to see if it was possible?

Name: Interesting Type Sweeper

General Description: A Pokemon that can viably use the types that the metagame is unfamiliar with.

Justification: Some Pokemon types have good setups and moves that can't be used to their fullest due to lack of Pokemon that can use the moves reliably and some Pokemon using them as a means rather than an end. This Pokemon would be able to use types the metagame usually shrugs at with devastating power while also having a typing that wouldn't let it be killed by the moves that usually prevent the types from making a proper entrance into the metagame.
  • Will this be enough to give less used types a voice in the metagame?
  • Will this bring about a change in what Pokemon are used in the metagame?
  • Will this make people use lower tiered Pokemon to counter the new Pokemon?
  • How can less used types be centralized and used properly?
  • Can this impact the metagame in a huge way?
  • Can this new Pokemon make it into the Ou tier or will it be a UU/NU threat?

Explanation: This concept is to show that less used types can be put to better use as they are now, because as of yet the Pokemon to represent these types are usually mediocre and have counters that are common and do not allow for setup.Since the metagame would be unfamiliar with such a strong foundation on strange types there would need to be hard counters on this Pokemon that inspire a change in the metagame.

Last edited:
Name: Spatial Mediator

General Description: With hoopa being introduced recently, this CAP would be the perfect team member for hoopa.

Justification: Hoopa will undoubtedly become a force in the OU metagame. Teambuilding will thus change from its previous state as can be expected. This CAP will help show hoopa’s true potential by allowing to have a tailored partner, but will also give insight to how this introduction could change the meta. This CAP will allow us to open up a new avenue to team building in the 6th generation in an example of perfect synergy.

Questions to be Answered:

• Will an offensive or defensive partner be best for hoopa?

• Can a CAP made specifically for a pokemon hold relevance in the CAP metagame as well?

• Does a core with perfect synergy become unhealthy for the meta itself?

• How will this type of core affect team building?

Explanation: This CAP is a project that can be approached in many directions and just having those options makes the idea that much more promising. Hoopa being new can be understood with greater clarity due to this process of reverse engineering it. And with this understanding we can gain greater insight on how to use it.

First ever submission so let me have it please. I want know how to improve my ideas and how to better contribute to the community.

TheIrrelevantElephant Unfortunately, we've worked on cores at least three times (Voodoom, Volkraken, and Plasmanta; two of those were very recent), and they haven't been this specific in regards to the Pokémon they wanted to partner up with until the Concept Assessment stage. But I'm not part of the Concept Workshop team, so it's not up to me.

The thing with Hoopa is, it's very powerful on its own already... if we build a partner around it, and make it better, that will result in a very broken combination. We don't need to make an A+ mon even better. With the recent success of core CAPs (or lack thereof), I think this will just result in a broken mon.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Name: Heads I Win, Tails You Lose

General Description: A pokemon designed to minimize 50/50 situations or at least take care of pokemon that specialize in setting up 50/50 situations.

Justification:

Many users complain about Pokemon as a on a competitive level is all 50/50 situations, and that this makes this game more luck based than skill based. This concept will examine these complaints to see whether coin flip situations are a problem.

· What exactly is a “50/50” situation, and how can CAP21 take advantage of both situations of a 50/50?

· Where in high stakes matches (SPL, WCOP) do 50/50 situations commonly occur?

· Is there even such a thing as a 50/50 situation, or is it a code word for “hax”?

· How do 50/50 situations manifest themselves when teambuilding?

· Moves such as Stone Edge, Hurricane, Scald, etc. are not necessarily 50/50 situations, but their outcome certainly determines match outcomes. Should CAP 21 focus on mitigating the impact of these moves?

· How do Choice items impact 50/50 situations?

· Can the timing of a mega evolution be a 50/50 situation, assuming CAP 21 can have a mega form?

Explanation:

This concept comes from the aftermath of the Aegislash suspect test, where many users complained about Aegislash’s ability to set up 50/50 situations with King’s Shield (see ginganinja 's post just a few posts above this one). Despite Aegislash’s ban, there still remain other notable 50/50 situations, notably Pursuit / Sucker Punch with Bisharp, determining if a Mega Charizard is X or Y if it hasn’t been revealed, strong Choice users such as Keldeo where it has to decide between Scald and Sacred Sword, Choice Scarf Lando-T deciding between Earthquake and U-Turn, pokemon with 4MSS that might have 3 “mandatory” moves but 2 coverage moves that can dictate its checks and counters, etc.

What I really like about this concept is the necessity to dig into high level replays to find where exactly the 50/50 situations are in a match and the number of different directions this CAP could go. There are more situations out there that if you dig into higher level WCOP / SPL matches, most of those games are decided on 2-3 50/50 situations (or not even 50/50 situations, i.e. a Stone Edge miss can swing the outcome of a match. (Finchinator vs. Shoka) It should be more than just a Dark-resist that can deal with both Pursuit and Sucker Punch against a Bisharp; that’s just the first example that comes to me.

The Concept Assessment part of this CAP should focus on finding 5-6 common 50/50 situations for this CAP to mitigate and go from there. The hardest part of this concept will be focusing on what situations the community wants to avoid because this is a broad concept, and the quicker the community narrows down exactly what 50/50 situations they want to avoid, the better CAP 21 will be.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a puzzle mon tbh, I see some potential in it being a Mega who changes typing or a similar multiform mon.

• Name: The Bulky Sweeper stopper
  • General Description: This pokemon stops pokemon from sweeping your team and can sweep other teams
  • Justification: Sweepers like Mega gardevoir are hard to KO because they set up using Calm mind or swords dance to boost their Sp.Attack and Sp.Defence So if this pokemon were to be able to stop them and be a sweeper itself could prove that sweepers arent all powerful anymore
  • Questions to be answered: -How would any one counter it? -What type would be acceptable if its a sweep stopper/sweeper How would this pokemon fit into CAP?
  • Explanation: This concept is to show that sweepers can stop other sweepers. It can use some attacks like Pursuit to make sure even if your gonna switch to a counter, you will take damage, and it can be a very very slow pokemon so it can be balanced. And with its lack of speed, it can pack a powerful Gyro Ball!

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You're poll jumping, and the concept is generally vague. Also ironically enough by definition this CAP would counter itself which is kinda amusing tbh.

Name: Ultimate Weather Abuser
General Description: This Pokemon functions best in any weather.
Justification: In XY/ORAS, weather is hard to take advantage of due to only lasting 5 or 8 turns. This Pokemon will make weather at least a viable strategy.
Questions to be answered: Which weather would CAP 21 function best in? Could it potentially function outside of weather?
Explanation: Generation V was often called "weather wars" due to Drought and Drizzle being brought to OU. In Gen VI, auto inducing weather was nerfed, so Drought was like using Sunny Day upon switching in, Drizzle was like using Rain Dance, and so on. CAP 21 could make rain more viable, sun actually usable, or even function in sand.

Justification: In XY/ORAS, weather is hard to take advantage of due to only lasting 5 or 8 turns. This Pokemon will make weather at least a viable strategy.
Questions to be answered: Which weather would CAP 21 function best in? Could it potentially function outside of weather?
Explanation: Generation V was often called "weather wars" due to Drought and Drizzle being brought to OU. In Gen VI, auto inducing weather was nerfed, so Drought was like using Sunny Day upon switching in, Drizzle was like using Rain Dance, and so on. CAP 21 could make rain more viable, sun actually usable, or even function in sand.
Weather already is a viable strategy - for rain and sand at least. Zard Y has Drought, but Chlorophyll users are very difficult to support correctly. Hail is dead, no getting around that.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah Alfalfa covered most of it; sun and hail are not viable playstyles at all. Moreover, this niche already exists in OU to a degree (Heliolisk; not the most viable mon but it's actually more usable than people think). Not only that, but this concept is very vague, and it appears we could solve it by saying "hey, let's put Swift Swim and Sand Rush on it and call it a day."

I was torn between a few other ideas, such as dedicated suicude lead/scout and perish trap, but this one is one that I think could be fun to investigate:
Name: Crit Happens

General Description: A Pokemon that can abuse the gen 6 critical hit mechanics to sweep, and punishes setup walls

Justification: remember the time you had the perfect Crocune going, with the stats boosted and everything ready to sweep... But a crit thunderbolt ruins everything... In the current metagame, there are a lot of bulky pokemon that rely on boosting their defenses, and usually can outlast the game, with only a critical hit KOing them... But that is a rare chance. However, if the pokemon has a Crit ratio of 3+, it is 100% chance to happen. With a 100% chance to crit, it can prevent setup walls, and deal higher damage than usual.

• How will the CAP's Move/Ability choice let it abuse the gen 6 crit mechanics?
  • If the CAP needs to setup for the crits, how easy should it be to setup? And in what scenarios?
  • Should the CAP be specially, physically or mixed orientated?
  • Although Crit abuse is the main niche of the CAP, should it have any other options available to it? (Hazards setup, scouting etc.)
  • How does typing take it's role here? (Type matchup/STABs?)
Explanation: Crit abuse kingdra has always been an interesting topic to me. It has the potential to rip through teams after it sets up, but it's lack of bulk, and fairly low offenses really tarnish it, meaning that naturally bulky pokemon can take its attacks, and attack back, and the fact that a lot of pokemon outspeed it, and can KO it before it sets up. There are other Crit abusers, such as drapion and farfetch'd, who rely on different methods to abuse crits. The main reason I bring it up is due to unaware clefable. Most unaware clefable setup on the special side, but their uninvested special side is still a nice target for attacks, but due to boosts and unaware, it is hard to penetrate the special side without resorting to crits. Mega sableye gets a mention too, as once it gets the special boosts up, it is hard to stop, but crit special moves do it in too. On the physical side, you do have stuff like bulk up Talonflame, Diancie afer getting Def boosts from diamond storm, and others. I feel it would be interesting to pursue this idea, as it is something different to look into.

I was torn between a few other ideas, such as dedicated suicude lead/scout and perish trap, but this one is one that I think could be fun to investigate:
Name: Crit Happens

General Description: A Pokemon that can abuse the gen 6 critical hit mechanics to sweep, and punishes setup walls

Justification: remember the time you had the perfect Crocune going, with the stats boosted and everything ready to sweep... But a crit thunderbolt ruins everything... In the current metagame, there are a lot of bulky pokemon that rely on boosting their defenses, and usually can outlast the game, with only a critical hit KOing them... But that is a rare chance. However, if the pokemon has a Crit ratio of 3+, it is 100% chance to happen. With a 100% chance to crit, it can prevent setup walls, and deal higher damage than usual.

• How will the CAP's Move/Ability choice let it abuse the gen 6 crit mechanics?
  • If the CAP needs to setup for the crits, how easy should it be to setup? And in what scenarios?
  • Should the CAP be specially, physically or mixed orientated?
  • Although Crit abuse is the main niche of the CAP, should it have any other options available to it? (Hazards setup, scouting etc.)
  • How does typing take it's role here? (Type matchup/STABs?)
Explanation: Crit abuse kingdra has always been an interesting topic to me. It has the potential to rip through teams after it sets up, but it's lack of bulk, and fairly low offenses really tarnish it, meaning that naturally bulky pokemon can take its attacks, and attack back, and the fact that a lot of pokemon outspeed it, and can KO it before it sets up. There are other Crit abusers, such as drapion and farfetch'd, who rely on different methods to abuse crits. The main reason I bring it up is due to unaware clefable. Most unaware clefable setup on the special side, but their uninvested special side is still a nice target for attacks, but due to boosts and unaware, it is hard to penetrate the special side without resorting to crits. Mega sableye gets a mention too, as once it gets the special boosts up, it is hard to stop, but crit special moves do it in too. On the physical side, you do have stuff like bulk up Talonflame, Diancie afer getting Def boosts from diamond storm, and others. I feel it would be interesting to pursue this idea, as it is something different to look into.
This is an awesome concept, honestly very fun and such. However I do still have a few things to nitpick about it, the primary thing is that this CAP would lack something when building it, it MUST hold a certain item/use a certain move. While the concept is cool it kind of restricts later stages of the process. However, I still think that the concept can be looked into and expanded on if it was chosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)