The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Not to mention that AGK has craploads of generic shounen elements, including a hero who believes in justice, people blatantly stating the obvious, all the girls falling for the MC, characters that power up over time, most characters following typical archetypes, boring af villains, little development for characters because they're all dying, and craploads after craploads of plot armor, while having a poorly developed plot. It's just too clichéd for it to really stand out as a good show IMO.
girls weren't just falling for the mc, there was an established couple, sadly the anime didnt really touch on it that much. unless you mean esdeath who was just some yandere for no reason

AgK is alright for killing off characters, but... at least in the anime, it becomes so frequent that it's hardly worth caring about. People love to ride Esdeath (or wish it were vice versa) but she makes little sense. "This one guy won in a fight. I'm gonna love him forever! Even if he's on the other side and rejects me completely!"
I still read the manga, though. It's so much better. It's much more expansive and brutal than the anime.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just finished watching, gonna read the manga later, but I figured I could leave my thoughts.

Gotta say that the ending left me a little unsatisfied. It was the typical "save the world" ending imo, although the final fight was pretty cool. The whole symbolism behind the final fight was cool as well; on side was a person who kills with necessity while on the other was one who killed needlessly. I've seen better animated fights but it was p good for the finale. Didn't get the whole "I'm going to shoot you in the chest 8-10 times then you'll be fine, but you'll die a couple hours later" thing that happened with Leone, but eh plot armor.

Probably the greatest thing I loved was the character development that I could see growing (probably not as complex as some animes but eh, I'm 18, show me some tits and a fight scene and I'm perfectly happy). Some characters were kinda dumb or inoriginal, like Tatsumi, while others were pretty cool, like Akame or Mine. The little romance that developed partway thru (NOT Esdeath x Tatsumi) was well thought out imo, but couldve and shouldve been explored deeper. Apart from that most of the other romances seemed stereotypical: namely midway through when New Night Raid C joins and in 1-2 episodes starts to fall in love with MC, then promptly dies. The romances between the characters shouldve been developed more, and I hope are in the manga

As to actual characters, Akame, Mine, Esdeath, Leone, Bols, and suryi(s?) are all well developed imo, each have their own little niche they occupy (akame as a sister with a tragic past, some social issues, and in general a likeable character, Mine as the opposite to Tatsumi whose child like nature and proud nature were memorable, Esdeath who was a murderous, sociopath woman who seemed to just be experiencing love, Leone as the Thief-class type who also was the independant woman, and the police cop who was obsessed with justice to the point that they couldnt even identify the ones they were surrounding hemselves with were evil, stockholm syndrome i think). However, a lot of them weren't really well developed at all. Lubbock was simply a perv who didnt fight often, the girl with the glasses i dont remember her name, and the boss who was simply a "badass role model who somehow lived at the end." I thought the boss was a dude until about 10-12 episodes in lol.

The soundtrack was really cool, loved the openings a lot, and the music was always on point with the mood. I mentioned the art style and while I thought it was good I've seen better fights (although those are always the big budget fights). Akame v esdeath was a good fight, no complaints.

The worst part tho was the plot that it could have at times. It was obvious when a character would die (altho i really didnt want love interest to die) and the way it would advance at times was ridiculous: Tatsumi lets go here bc the boss ordered us to do this! I swear to christ if I hear "my Pumpkin's power is increased the more I'm in a pinch!" one more time I'm going to shoot myself!

All in all though I'd say its a 8/10, predictable at times but enough characters that are mildly developed and good enough action scenes that it can keep you watching.

Asek

Banned deucer.
^dont take this whole post as a dig but idk where you're seeing great character development, they all stay pretty stagnant except for tatsumi whos pretty much "my friend dies so now im going to fight to get revenge for them as well" and the small amount of development from wave that is brushed aside later on in the series.

Also the music score for the anime was pretty dam repetitive and was fairly grinding for me after about episode 10 (the same annoying track played everytime there was a conflict about to occur and its still engrained into my memory nearly 12 months on)

Tbh the whole show drew a few parallels to fma for me. Boy joins military but becomes dissatisfied at the corruption kind of story, every important persom has a differant alchemy / teiyu etc. main differance being AGK tries hardcore to be dark and deep and arouse emotion through killing off characters (which didnt make me 'feel' at all tbh, most of the time i couldnt give a toss about a character thats been around for a couple chapters dying) whilst fma is much more sucesful by making lovable characters who all have different motives and genuinally well fleshed out back stories and reasons for their actions, something i feel agk by and large lacked, making it feel like a drag for large portions

If you liked the anime you'll probably like the manga, man difference being the villains have more prescence (especially budou) and the story elements are more fleshed out. You'll hear a lot of people say the manga is better than the anime, but tbh theyre thr exact same until like ep 18.

As for this season im highly enjoying rokka. If yo havent given it a look id definitely reccomend it, couple genuinally imtersting characters with funny and unique interactions, and a pretty neat, well structured and good looking world. Only gripes are the demons who have that jarring cg look similar to the mechs in aldnoah (although not quite on the horrid scale that was).

Really though summer is shaping up to be good fun, certainly not as bad a some people were predicting it to be

I like Gangsta so far. I saw a thread (on another forum) about Rokka and it sounds awesome so I'll probably start that today. I've been told to watch Overlord but it sounds kinda dumb. Anyone have thoughts on this one?

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Np. Just don't go looking for loads of action, Overlord isn't that kind of show. It really shines in character development and world building.
Love Overlord so far. Mostly cause I am a sucker for anime involving MMORPG genre since I wasted so much of my youth playing WoW ~_~. But its actually really good so far. Not gonna compare it to others in the genre yet

wasn't sold on overlord until the most recent episode, now i'm kinda looking forward to see this guy wreck face since it seems like he knows what he's doing. i've been feeling robbed of my "mmorpg-turned-life" anime ever since log horizon 2 went to shit, and overlord looks like a promising replacement

thoughts on other shows i'm watching this season:
  • Dragon Ball Super - never been one for the SoL aspect of dragon ball in particular, so I'm more or less waiting for this to catch up with the movies while watching the fight scenes
  • Gakkou Gurashi - sleeper hit of the season, for sure. episode 1 dragged on a little too long in my opinion, but episode 2 was fantastic
  • Monster Musume - unapologetic fanservice, if you aren't watching this then please learn to love yourself
  • Prison School - same. plus hanakana is in it
  • Shimoneta - surprisingly funny and has a lot of potential if this show is going in the direction i think it's going

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
just started watching gurren lagann off of recs from friends, it was something I kept meaning to watch but never did

holy fuck I'm only about 3 episodes in and this is a blast, I really regret putting it off. I figured it would be like Kill la Kill (since I see them get paired together a lot due to the "over-the-top-ness" of the shows) and since I thought KlK was only ok I figured it would be the same with TTGL. Holy shit i was wrong ;;

just started watching gurren lagann off of recs from friends, it was something I kept meaning to watch but never did

holy fuck I'm only about 3 episodes in and this is a blast, I really regret putting it off. I figured it would be like Kill la Kill (since I see them get paired together a lot due to the "over-the-top-ness" of the shows) and since I thought KlK was only ok I figured it would be the same with TTGL. Holy shit i was wrong ;;
they're paired because they were made by much of the same staff (gainax -> trigger people) but TTGL takes itself a little more seriously and that's arguably what makes it better

so, um, right now I've stuck with Gakkou Gurashi, Prison School, Non Non 2, Ushio to Tora and Shirayukihime. Gakkou Gurashi exceeded expectations a lot and Charlotte utterly failed. Shokugeki no Souma is still going strong too.

AGK wasn't anything super special but I enjoyed my time with it. A lot of the characters and battles are fun, if not particularly original, and it didn't really feel like it was trying too hard to be something it wasn't, unlike a lot of other similarly edgy shows. It definitely got hurt a bit by the anime original ending though.

Incidentally, "like SAO but much better and more focused on character/world building" was pretty much the general opinion on Log Horizon (at least before s2), Overlord seems to be working towards that and I'm enjoying it so far though it looks like it's only scheduled for 13 episodes unfortunately.

tcr

sage of six tabs
Welp I finished TTGL, and i gotta say that was the most ridiculous and over the top anime I've ever seen, but it was so awesome.

I mean the last 10 or so episodes were just ridiculous, it went from being mildly understandable (lagann combining with dai gunzen eh ok i get that, but people inside a mecha inside a mecha inside a mecha?) i dont even know what to say... And boota... What the fuck

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've been having an absurd amount of fun with No Game No Life as my binge go-to since yesterday. Imagine if Code Geass didn't take itself seriously.
Only 13 episodes though, that's a pity but nonetheless.

Finally gotten the chance to catch up on things.
watching atm

Dragon Ball Super: it's a new dragon ball what do you want
Gakkou Gurashi!: WOW OK
Gangsta: This is really starting to get an audience from what I've seen. Pretty solid.
Overlord: Yeah, much better than... a certain other MMO anime... of recent weeks...
Rokka no Yuusha: It's just kind of okay for a bit, but it's starting to get interesting.
Shokugeki no Souma: technically a spring anime but idc. Still loving it to bits.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
so im 5 minutes into charlotte episode 1 and they gave some guy lelouch lamperouge powers with lelouch lamperouge mannerisms and........his goal is to bag some chick? this is fuckin stupid

edit: ok im 9 minutes in and now its gettin more interesting!

edit2: nevermind, when they were makin this guy a lelouch clone they remembered all the "anti" parts and forgot all the "hero" parts, this is annoying

Last edited:

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Posting to say that Punchline is shit and anyone that anyone that liked it has lost some respect from me.

That's ok cuz I have shit taste also.

Real talk, Punchline was way too cringe to watch. I got turned off when I didn't like the comedy despite knowing there were talented folks behind it. If you braved the storm for the Awesome Twists, good on you guys.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Real talk, Punchline was way too cringe to watch. I got turned off when I didn't like the comedy despite knowing there were talented folks behind it. If you braved the storm for the Awesome Twists, good on you guys.
Nothing in Punchline stopped people from watching Kill la Kill, only the mid-season twist of Punchline vindicated it a whole hell of a lot more than the masturbatory soapboxing of KlK's third episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)