Battle of the Week: UU Edition! (Resumes after SPL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
OK, got destroyed by Bouff game 1: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-79048

He brought an offensive team with a Gligar/P2/bulky Whimsi core, plus Taunt + WoW Chandy, Toxicroak and Mega-Pedo on the offensive side of things. I brought an offensive T-Spikes team with Dragalge and special Mence, plus Duggy to trap grounded poisons and RD Mega-Pert and Specs Heliolisk to clean. Early game Ice Beam freeze on Dragalge + Tri-Attack burn on Cobalion meant I really didn't have a way to break P2/Gligar core, so most of the match was just me struggling to keep up, and Bouff won it handily. GG.

We'll be playing the rest on Friday.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Bouff and I are getting ready to battle again on smogtours. Will edit in links once we start.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Won g2: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-79485

Lost g3: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-79492

Game 2 I brought one of my favorite semi-stall teams, which relies on a defensive backbone of Mandibuzz, specially defensive Roserade and Suicune, with SD Cobalion/MAero/CM Reuni on the offensive side of things. I really like the combination of Spikes and Reuniclus, so the team is more or less built around that. Bouff brought a bulky team with Alomomola, Florges, defensive Nidoqueen and P2, plus SubSD Gatr and Taunt LO Hydreigon. He surprised me early on with Magic Coat on P2, but Roserade in particular was a thorn in his team's side, as it was able to soak up attacks from everything on his team but Gatr (who was checked fairly well by Sleep Talk/Roar Suicune).

Game 3 I brought an older team that I've been using for a while now, another semi-stall team that relies on two bulky dragons in SubRoost Kyurem and T-Spikes Dragalge, with Mega-Blastoise and a defensive core of mixed Alomomola/Granbull/Bronzong. Bouff brought a semi-stall of his own with Blissey/M-Aggron/Mandibuzz/defensive Nidoqueen, and CM LO Reuniclus/CM Roar Suicune offensively. Seemed like the game was going alright for me until he surprised my Blastoise with Thunder on his Reuniclus, which just destroyed my number one Reuniclus check. I managed to claw back a little with Kyurem, but he pretty much had the game from there.

GGs Bouffalant!

Last edited:
yeah, that was a pretty nice series. i'll explain my teambuilding / thought process for each of the games, since that seems what u have 2 do here oo

Game 1

the team i used game 3 was the first one i built (shoutouts donmen for the help on that), but i led with this team cause i was really excited to use it lol. chandelure + sharpedo was a pretty cool offensive backbone to go off of, since they wear down each others answers n stuff. i was thinking of using a choice specs variant on chandy at first but taut wisp seemed better since he usually ran more defensive builds from what ive seen. toxicroak gives me a reliable bulky water answer (aside from more defensive variants of pert, reg or mega) since it gave me a scald immune which i needed, considering how much my team hates scald burns. whimsicott completed the fwg core, but i mainly added as a momentum grabber of sorts, since it could get chandy or shark in safely if i needed it to and also just wore shit down for them. i had spdef sr defog gligar + pdef p2 as a defensive backbone that could cover most offensive mons fairly well, i used pdef instead of spdef p2 because i felt like mamo and mega pert were gonna be annoying to switch into otherwise.

looking at team preview i seem to have a pretty good mu this game, he had a nice core of duggy + dragalge,, always been fan of that. it was gonna be hard for him to break through me defensive core though, depending on set variations. shark is also a pain since nothing really likes switching into it and if i can weaken cobal / pert / mence depending on spread it won't be that difficult to clean with it late game. i get a nice lead matchup as he leads horsey and i lead gligar, i was considering the possibility of him being sd + sub / mrise / edge / whatever cobal and having pert as his sr'er for a sec but that was extremely unlikely given that rd pert + heliolisk is a nice offensive combo, would be weird for him to pass up on that. anyway there wasn't really too much to say on the battle, since we both played it pretty safe throughout, but as hogg said porygon2 decided to get consecutive freeze + burn, which made his chances of winning pretty slim.

Game 2

the team i used for this game...i don't really know what to say about it lmao. i rushed it pretty bad and made it about half an hour before the game because im like "omg p2 gets magic coat this is so amazing!!!". in practice though it wasn't as good as i thought as you can see lol, considering that spikes are literally the only thing that it's deflecting. the rest of my team was kind of a mishmash of mediocre balance trying to check everything and in the end i decided not to include hazard control for some stupid reason. i also made the dumb decision of havin 1 physical attacker. i guess this battle serves to show how not to use balance lol cus i fucked up a fair amount here

lookin at da team preview he has a nice defensive backbone, with a reuni as his wincon, cune to phaze, rosey + cobal to set up hazards, etc. this was definitely not a good mu for me but it was also definitely winnable, if i could set up gatr late game and get cune to a range where +2 crunch would kill i could probably win. as soon as i reveal magic coat p2 i soon realize "what the hell do i do now" lol. i honestly didn't expect draco to do only 60ish to rose though, even if it was fully spdef oo. i probably shouldn't have played it so safe and let him get up free spikes with it, though. as soon as he got up sr + spike it was basically me just trying to play catch up, but it was a gg nonetheless :o

Game 3

this one was prob my fav out of the series. dodmen gave me the idea of life orb reuni with thunder as it does a number to mandibuzz, which seems to be one of the more popular reuni answers on balance / semistall teams at the moment. we then decided to knda support this with a solid defensive backbone for the rest of the team, coverin various threats. not too much else to say on that.

we both brought defensive builds for this one. he had a pretty solid defensive backbone as well but he didnt have too much for my reuni, seeing as his main way of dealing with it was pressuring it with dark pulse stoise. thankfully he didn't have ep on kyurem, as otherwise it would have been much easier for him to wear down mega aggron with it. i was glad i psyshocked with reuni the first time when he switched in on it with stoise because if i had thunder'd the first time he probably would have played more cautiously with it (does around 63-75ish, depending on his spread), so all i had to worry about when he wished with mola as i cmd was thunder missing. after that the game pretty much stayed in my favor, after that i had to get nido in and set up a tspike so i could pressure kyurem to roost more n stuff, didn't rly need it for anything else. once nido died reuni pretty much won after that, i just had to make sure it didnt get too low from kyurem's dtails to a point where if i brought it in again on something it'd die, so i wanted him to waste dtails on cune. not much else to say tho, was a good match. props on bringin granbull, its a rly cool mon that i wanted to try myself. Good Games, sry if this is just me rambling lol

Week 7 has began! Pick 3 users you want to see battle the most. Refer to the OP for who has already battled so you do not vote for them. I will edit the OP with the replays from week 6 when my house gets Internet back.

Noms: king uu, clarion/euphonos, metric Tewmew

Last edited:

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Metric/Anger Management Meru
Dingbat
Bob the Nerd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)