Resource The ORAS NU Teambuilding Lab (Kiyo'd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, you guys down here in NU seem like much, much nicer people than some of the people in the OU/Battle Spot Forums. Here's an idea I had for the main core of a team, hoping you guys could tell me what to run alongside it.

076F.gif

Golem@Assault Vest
Ability:Sturdy
Sassy Nature
EVs: 252Def 252SpD 4HP
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Gyro Ball
-Curse/Protect

Crobat_XY.gif

Crobat@Life Orb
Ability:Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252Spe 252Atk 4HP
-Cross Poison
-Acrobatics
-Quick Guard
-U-Turn

The only outstanding weakness is Ice, so I was thinking about a Steel type, like Magneton next. I'm new to Smogon, I still don't like to play by Smogon rules, so if I'm putting things in the wrong tier, I apologize.

Also Double posting, so sorry.

I'd like a team with Torterra and Samurott. Not sure which Samurott set but I'll let you guy decide.

Also for the record I requested a team with Fletchinder and Garbadour a while back, but I don't really care about that now 8P

I want to build a team with Metang, but I don't know what really pairs well with it since I've never used it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I want to build a team with Metang, but I don't know what really pairs well with it since I've never used it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
This isn't the place for this, I'd try the simple questions simple answers thread.

Alternatively you can ask us to build a team with metang or preferably a core that includes metang for you!

This isn't the place for this, I'd try the simple questions simple answers thread.

Alternatively you can ask us to build a team with metang or preferably a core that includes metang for you!
So...the Team Building Lab, where everyone else is asking questions about help with team building and partners for a particular pokemon (or two), isn't the place to ask for help on team building/a good partner for a particular pokemon?

That makes no sense to me.

It says right in the first post, and I quote: "...where users can post Pokemon sets / cores that they would like us to build a team around and one of us can reply with their team and the team building process..."

Alright, so I didn't post a set for Metang...I figured it'd just be a typical Smogon-suggested set for Metang (that, or replace Stealth Rocks with Psych Up). I don't see why that should exemplify being helped out. I don't know what core it'd be good to be part of, so I can't exactly post that.

Actually, know what? Nevermind; I'll just experiment on my own or forget it if I can't get teambuilding help in the teambuilding thread.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
So...the Team Building Lab, where everyone else is asking questions about help with team building and partners for a particular pokemon (or two), isn't the place to ask for help on team building/a good partner for a particular pokemon?

That makes no sense to me.

It says right in the first post, and I quote: "...where users can post Pokemon sets / cores that they would like us to build a team around and one of us can reply with their team and the team building process..."

Alright, so I didn't post a set for Metang...I figured it'd just be a typical Smogon-suggested set for Metang (that, or replace Stealth Rocks with Psych Up). I don't see why that should exemplify being helped out. I don't know what core it'd be good to be part of, so I can't exactly post that.

Actually, know what? Nevermind; I'll just experiment on my own or forget it if I can't get teambuilding help in the teambuilding thread.
The point of this thread is for people to post Cores, like "Metang + ____" that they have had trouble building around, or they just want a team with that core built for them. Once the core is posted, one of the builders of the thread will then build the team and post it here with their thought process behind the mons the chose. If you just want to know what good partners for mons are, feel free to ask over here (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ask-a-simple-question-get-a-simple-answer-nu-edition.3509424/), but this teambuilding lab is a place for people to post cores they want more experienced players to build around.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bronze Stallion

Hey man, AV Kecleon is certainly something that can be difficult to build around as it doesnt necessarily fulfill an important role in the metagame atm. I actually ended up using it for its powerful priority attacks, and its ability to take necessary special attacks from things like Pyroar, Swellow, and CM Psychic-types. The team is really built around wearing the opposition down with Spikes and Stealth Rock, while simultaneously removing them from your side of the field with Sandslash. I've opted to forgo defensive checks to certain Pokemon such as Lilligant and Archeops, because with the sheer amount of priority moves on the team, checking these threats shouldn't prove too difficult. The biggest weaknesses I can see the team having are against opposing hazard stack teams that utilize a spinblocker, and against teams that carry multiple bulky special attackers (although thankfully most teams are mainly physically offensive, or only pack one bulky special attacker). If you have any questions about the team let me know, there's a few slashed moves and natures on there, but for the most part I'd just go with the first slash for all of them. Enjoy!
Basculin @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature / Naive Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Zen Headbutt / Ice Beam
- Superpower

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / Stone Edge

Gourgeist-Super @ Choice Band
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Seed Bomb
- Explosion
- Trick / Phantom Force

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Kecleon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch / Fake Out
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch / Power-Up-Punch

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic Spikes
- Drain Punch

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Metang's best niche is probably how it handles Psychic-types really well. A lot of slower balanced teams have a ton of issue with offensive Psychic types like Jynx, Uxie, etc. It's usually not something you go around thinking, man I want to build around Metang, but rather it's something that sometimes happens to fix a lot of your problems.

Thus it probably makes a lot of sense to pair him up with standard balance team members, such as Vileplume, Hariyama, etc. or even more stallish Pokemon like Audino.

This does belong in the Small Questions Small Answers thread instead of the teambuilding lab. For instance, you can use this thread by requesting a team with a Metang in it (note that this question is a lot harder to answer than simply asking for what Pokemon you can use with Metang, because we are building an entire team for you) I can make a team with a Metang in it if you want, but I'm assuming this isn't what you actually wanted.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Hey guys, is this the thread to ask for partners for a pokemon or do you guys build entire teams out of that single pokemon? Because I think SD Pinsir is really cool but I'm having trouble building with it.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
boltsandbombers I finally made a team lmao

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

Mesprit @ Mind Plate
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Ice Beam
- Future Sight

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Sucker Punch
- Spikes

Rotom @ Spell Tag
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Tauros was the first thing that came to mind when I was building around special Carracosta, since it benefits hugely from Costa being able to lure in physically defensive Pokemon like Gurdurr, Gourgeist, and Quagsire, and allow it to clean up. Pursuit Tauros is also quite handy in return because it can trap Scarf Rotom and Mesprit, which are big pains for Carracosta as well. Mesprit was added because I needed a more reliable answer to Gurdurr and such. Psychic and Signal Beam are obvious choices but Ice Beam and Future Sight were tailored for this team; the former hits bulky Ground-types as well as luring Xatu, while the latter helps a lot against bulky cores because it can force the opponent to make certain plays and weaken general fat mons. Cacturne was added because it provides priority, Spikes, a soft Water check, and a counter to Barrier + CM Musharna, which this team all needed. Spell Tag Rotom was added because I wanted a second Flying resist and Electric resist, and also provides useful Volt Switch support and a way to pressure Ground-types and Lanturn, although if Fletch moves up to RU this probably won't be as necessary. Lastly, Piloswine provides SR support, extra priority (specifically priority that can revenge kill Lilligant, which is a pretty big threat to the team), and a good catch-all to a lot of things (Archeops, Rhydon, Ice-types, etc).

I haven't tested the team too much but from the games I played the main weaknesses I spotted out were offensive Water-types, Lilligant, and Toxic Spikes. I'd definitely recommend playing around with the team and adjusting it to your liking, but this should be a good starting template. Gl with the team =)

Orphic

perhaps
Deeerpz

Barbaracle @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Return
- Cross Chop

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Energy Ball
- Stealth Rock

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonlight
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge

Here you go sorry it took so long, the core was a difficult one to build with due to sharing two weaknesses, ground and fighting. For this reason, the core immediately struggles with the likes of Tauros, Archeops and Rhydon. So to start, I've chosen Shuca Berry for Barbaracle so it can Shell Smash on these scary mons, and being able to smash on Rhydon is really handy, given how common it is in this meta. The rest of the set is yours, as well as pawn. Next I chose Mesprit as it fulfills a role in being a ground immunity and fighting resist. Mesprit carries rocks over Sandslash so I've chosen Colbur Berry. This is also to take down mons like Sawk, Hariyama and Liepard. Psyshock is preferred over Psychic for Hariyama. Next I chose Vileplume, despite the fighting weaknesses somewhat covered, I still needed a fighting check that was not weak to Knock Off. Vileplume was a way of luring Ferroseed with HP Fire and also offering a Gurdurr and Hariyama check especially. Magmortar links in a FWG core within the team with Vileplume and Barbaracle, and is also my favourite pokemon to use in NU right now due to it's power and coverage and it just helps out this core so much. Finally, with special thanks to iplaytennislol for the help, we have Sandslash. The team still needed a secondary Tauros/Archeops check and Sandslash provides this, it can Stone Edge Archeops and Knock Off Tauros' Life Orb to make it's life easier, this is also why I needed rocks on Mesprit. This also gives the team a way of removing hazards as well, particularly helping out Barbaracle.

Hope you enjoy~

Orphic

perhaps
Aladyyn
Here's a replay of the god curse Muk doing it's thing:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-253423404

anyway onto the team, this was so much fun to make:

Muk @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Poison Jab

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 172 SpA / 84 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 140 Atk / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Sucker Punch
- Spiky Shield

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Roost

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Def / 160 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Claydol @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Toxic

I've always wanted to build with curse Muk, this just gave me the motivation to do so! I started with a simple poison touch curse rest talk Muk, and the first weakness was clear, steel types. Just to make this core super funky I chose a Magnet Pull Probopass to trap them pesky Klinklangs and Ferroseeds and Mawiles to clear the path for Muk. Cacturne is such a lord right now, and he fits perfectly with this core, granting a ground resist and a way of beating ground and rock types like Rhydon, Regirock and especially Quagsire that Muk struggles with. Next I was still weak to Malamar and I love the set hollywood has been using for his Scythers and it looked a perfect fit here, Scyther lures steel types and pivots out of them to demolish them with Probopass. I needed a fire and water check so Lanturn seemed like the only option really, it links with Scyther in a volt-turn core and lures grass types for Muk to set up on. Finally, since I needed hazard control and another ground resist, I chose Claydol. Claydol holds a colbur berry to act as a nice secondary fighting resist, and toxic is to lure and wittle other Claydol and Quagsires :)

Enjoy fren~

I don't know if it's already been requested but: can someone make an offense/HO team with SD moxie quick attack pinsir 8-)

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
I don't know if it's already been requested but: can someone make an offense/HO team with SD moxie quick attack pinsir 8-)
Yeah, let's do that. Pinsir is very nice at the moment and imo is a bit underrated. Let's go Pinsir!

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
SirZero14

Alright I'm just gonna walk you through my building process a little bit here, but if you have any questions be sure to drop em down below. Lanturn+Lilligant+Fletchinder work really well together to grab momentum and gain set up opportunities. Unfortunately, the opposition isn't always weakened enough for one of our two sweepers to pull through, which is why I opted to go with Tauros. Tauros can dent most of the walls that Fletchinder struggles with, and can even clean up late-game if Fletchinder or Lilligant have already weakened the opponent's team adequately. Uxie gives the team a solid Fighting-resist and a catch-all check to many Pokemon we're not well equipped to deal with (i.e. Ludicolo, Archeops, Tauros, etc.) Sandslash holds the team together by spinning rocks for Fletchinder and acting as a bonus check to physical attackers that Uxie might not be able to handle all on its own. The biggest flaw this team has is that it condenses team roles quite a bit, which leads to Pokemon being overwhelmed in certain situations (i.e. opponent has both Archeops and Tauros, that makes Uxie's job really difficult and forces it to function differently, it also forces you to keep Sandslash healthy) there's a handful of situations where this can be problematic, but in general playing to your outs and keeping the right things healthy will be enough to pull through. Enjoy!
Lanturn @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 208 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Zen Headbutt

Sandslash @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- U-turn

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp / U-turn
- Roost

Lilligant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power [Ice]

edit: guys please don't fill the thread with one-liners zzzz

Syncrasy

Change the game, don't let the game change you
guess ill try this for fun(+ cant build anything decent atm lol), anyways can you help me build a team around
+

Liepard @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Encore
- U-turn
Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast/ Taunt
can change these sets if you find a better one to fit the team.

guess ill try this for fun(+ cant build anything decent atm lol), anyways can you help me build a team around
+

Liepard @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Encore
- U-turn
Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast/ Taunt
can change these sets if you find a better one to fit the team.
Well you're obviously going to need a Rain Dance user if you're going with Swift Swim. If not, go with Water Veil to prevent unwanted will-o-wisps.
I'd also recommend Ice Punch/Taunt/Waterfall/Aqua Jet with 252Atk

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
Well you're obviously going to need a Rain Dance user if you're going with Swift Swim. If not, go with Water Veil to prevent unwanted will-o-wisps.
I'd also recommend Ice Punch/Taunt/Waterfall/Aqua Jet with 252Atk
Thanks for the input QazmaRay! While I don't necessarily agree with you that running Swift Swim warrants a Rain Dance user, it is something to consider. Special attacking Floatzel is just as viable as physical attacking Floatzel, and it seems thats what this particular user wants his team built around. Bringing up Water Veil is again, a good point; however, I don't think it necessarily warrants a physically offensive set 100% of the time.

As a request to make our jobs easier and keep the thread as clutter free as possible, if you have any more comments like this that you think might help another user out or improve a team request please keep it limited to VMs or PMs on forums. We already have a lot on our plate with 13 unfilled requests and sorting through them is tough enough as it is. Thanks again for your desire to help another user out with teambuilding, but in the future try to keep this thread clear of one liners and other small posts that can be done via visitor messages and private messages.

Thanks for the input QazmaRay! While I don't necessarily agree with you that running Swift Swim warrants a Rain Dance user, it is something to consider. Special attacking Floatzel is just as viable as physical attacking Floatzel, and it seems thats what this particular user wants his team built around. Bringing up Water Veil is again, a good point; however, I don't think it necessarily warrants a physically offensive set 100% of the time.

As a request to make our jobs easier and keep the thread as clutter free as possible, if you have any more comments like this that you think might help another user out or improve a team request please keep it limited to VMs or PMs on forums. We already have a lot on our plate with 13 unfilled requests and sorting through them is tough enough as it is. Thanks again for your desire to help another user out with teambuilding, but in the future try to keep this thread clear of one liners and other small posts that can be done via visitor messages and private messages.
Yeah, sure. I just feel like directly in the thread is the best way to get it across, but I'll keep that in mind.

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
TTFTW

Gourgeist-Large @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 240 HP / 44 Def / 112 SpA / 112 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Taunt

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot
- Stone Edge

Lanturn @ Leftovers
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 112 SpD / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Heal Bell

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Roost

When I first starting making this team, I had the idea of VolTurn. So I followed that idea and threw on an offensive Lanturn to add an additional fire check as well as provide volturn support. Xatu and Primeape were then added to provide the U-turn part as well as providing checks to common threats like Sawk, Malamar and Lilligant. I changed the gourgeist to large as the speed tier it sat at allowed the team to have a check to offensive Mawile and still be fat enough to take hits. I also changed the probo set slightly to a more spdef variant so it so check jynx a bit better and still be able to deal with Klinklang and Fletch. Pyroar was the last mon so that I could check Mismagius and fire off some powerful hits when brought it safely.

The speed on Xatu is so it outspeed max speed ada Garbobor that try to get the edge on you and Lanturn has enough speed for ada Rhydon so you can fire off a strong hit before it can damage you.

I hope this is what you had in mind when requesting this team, I'm a defensive player so I made it as offensive as I could.

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus
Requesting a Spike Stacking team built around Hex Rotom. Rotom is a Pokemon i've always wanted to try especially after the recent Sneasel ban.

Reactions: nv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)