(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Actually what proves Rich Boys are dumb, or at least the ones on early routes, are those who brag their money bought them the best Pokemon... and they then send out the Gen rodent. I have a feeling by "best money they can buy" they mean they ran across a certain salesman, and they probably paid much more than 500...
I get a laugh at that Furisode Girl in the Battle Chateau who claims she spent a ton of money to have her Pokemon raised... only to send out Audino.

Reactions: JES

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
...when I'm in the post-game content I tend to be one of those that would do that, because I normally buy like 50 Full Restores before I go to the Elite Four and I don't usually buy other healing items other than Full Restores or Revives.
But the Rich Boy isn't in the post game, he's on an early route with a Level 8 Zigzagoon. A normal Potion or at most a Super Potion would heal it to full HP. Now to be fair a Full Restore also cures any status condition... but I seriously doubt anyone would use a status inflicting move on it. :P Maybe later in the game when you re-challenge him and it has evolved (and post game he gets a male Pyroar), but at the start? Actually he should technically not be able to buy Full Restores, I question whether he has any badges. :P

I'm a sucker for moo moo milk tough.
During the main story I always give out a small "yeah!" whenever I find a vending machine or later on when I find the Moomoo Milk/Ailment curing item. Honestly the standard potion items are kind of outclassed. Sure you can buy them in bulk unlike the vending machine, but that's just for convenience and honestly something that could easily be changed. You know what, I think they should get rid of the status ailment curing items and just have the Potion, Super Potion, and Hyper Potion also cure status ailments. That way it gives them back a purpose, you can either use a plain old water, soda, or lemonade to heal some HP OR you can use a Potion which heals some HP AND cures status ailments. Heck, if they did that I'd even suggest selling the drinks in the marts as they'd now be doing different functions.

But the Rich Boy isn't in the post game, he's on an early route with a Level 8 Zigzagoon. A normal Potion or at most a Super Potion would heal it to full HP. Now to be fair a Full Restore also cures any status condition... but I seriously doubt anyone would use a status inflicting move on it. :P Maybe later in the game when you re-challenge him and it has evolved (and post game he gets a male Pyroar), but at the start? Actually he should technically not be able to buy Full Restores, I question whether he has any badges. :P

During the main story I always give out a small "yeah!" whenever I find a vending machine or later on when I find the Moomoo Milk/Ailment curing item. Honestly the standard potion items are kind of outclassed. Sure you can buy them in bulk unlike the vending machine, but that's just for convenience and honestly something that could easily be changed. You know what, I think they should get rid of the status ailment curing items and just have the Potion, Super Potion, and Hyper Potion also cure status ailments. That way it gives them back a purpose, you can either use a plain old water, soda, or lemonade to heal some HP OR you can use a Potion which heals some HP AND cures status ailments. Heck, if they did that I'd even suggest selling the drinks in the marts as they'd now be doing different functions.
At the same time I'm insanely rich at that point of the game. If I was insanely rich at the beginning of the game and can buy full restores all the time I'd buy myself a ton right away!

Okay, here's a big annoyance.

Diancie's signature move and lack of Power Gem, for the multitude of different ways they could have fixed it.

- Just... give it Power Gem.
- Give it Play Rough so it can half decently focus Physically (though it would still need EP for breaking Steels)
- Make Diamond Storm Special, since it just seems like an enhancement to Power Gem the way Diancie is to Carbink

Gamefreak skimping on moves for a Pokemon that could use them (*couuugh* Kyu-B Icicle Crash *Wheeze*) is nothing new, but Diancie offends me especially since it was based on a Pokemon with the move, it has more reason than any mon with the move to have it, they gave it a similar move with a change that actively makes it worse for Diancie (compare to Steam Eruption outright being Scald++), it is based on a Pokemon that already had the move, and both its base form and Mega Evolution are offensive and would clearly value the move more than the Carbink that did get it.

Okay, here's a big annoyance.

Diancie's signature move and lack of Power Gem, for the multitude of different ways they could have fixed it.

- Just... give it Power Gem.
- Give it Play Rough so it can half decently focus Physically (though it would still need EP for breaking Steels)
- Make Diamond Storm Special, since it just seems like an enhancement to Power Gem the way Diancie is to Carbink

Gamefreak skimping on moves for a Pokemon that could use them (*couuugh* Kyu-B Icicle Crash *Wheeze*) is nothing new, but Diancie offends me especially since it was based on a Pokemon with the move, it has more reason than any mon with the move to have it, they gave it a similar move with a change that actively makes it worse for Diancie (compare to Steam Eruption outright being Scald++), it is based on a Pokemon that already had the move, and both its base form and Mega Evolution are offensive and would clearly value the move more than the Carbink that did get it.
II Honestly like Diancie mixed, DStorm fares great even with minimal investment.

II Honestly like Diancie mixed, DStorm fares great even with minimal investment.
To each their own. It's just that to me, it feels like a handicap Game Freak ended up giving it that it ultimately was more than able to work around/put to use.

The factors I pointed out a bove aren't just Diancie being worse for Physical Diamond Storm, but for the fact that by all rights there's no reason that should have been all it got. Hell, why does getting Diamond Storm mean it can't have Power Gem anyway, the generic move given to any Pokemon with jewels somewhere in the design? It's not like Volcanion can't learn Scald because it has Steam Eruption, or Reshiram can't have Fire Blast because of Blue Flare. And unlike the above, Diamond Storm would be used differently than Power Gem targets, so it's not even redundant like the above examples.

It's mainly a flavor complaint for me that also had gameplay repercussions.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
While technically not an annoyance with the games I do have a new annoyance. I wanted to read through the dialogue for the Rondez-View Ferris Wheel dates. Only problem is that no one seems to have all of them for BW2. I somehow managed to find the ONE person who ripped the script from BW so I have all of their Ferris Wheel dates (though they may be an English translation of the Japanese script, but whatever). However I can't find someone who did the same for the BW2 script (or at least for the dates).

Uh

The lack of a battlw frontier in ORAS, that would have put the icing on the cake

Oh and the lack of difficulty..at least stay consistent and offer us an easy / hard mode like in gen 5
But they are being consistent. Assist/Challenge mode was only a thing in B2/W2, and likely will never be touched upon again as they want to be consistently easy to bash through to the post-game and the competitive stuff that entails.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Uh

The lack of a battlw frontier in ORAS, that would have put the icing on the cake

Oh and the lack of difficulty..at least stay consistent and offer us an easy / hard mode like in gen 5
Ah, but as Detective Barricade said they are being consistent with not including the Battle Frontier. See, we got a Ruby & Sapphire remake, NOT an Emerald remake. Had we asked for an Emerald remake then MAYBE we would have gotten the Battle Frontier along with other things that Emerald had done like:
  • Rebattlable Gym Leaders
  • Mirage Tower and the corresponding fossil appearing post game with the Fossil Maniac in the Underground Pass (who has no purpose in the games otherwise, heck they could have done a BW thing with him and have him give you a fossil he finds every day)
  • Battle tents instead of Contest Halls in all but one town (Though I would suggest keeping the one in Slateport and getting rid of the one in Lilycove this time around)
  • Trainer Hill
  • And other minor tweaks here and there
If you can't tell I'm joking around. Being serious, I do wonder if they did run out of time of they were so focused on remaking Ruby & Sapphire they didn't even bother to include anything from Emerald until everything was done. Like I wonder if they started with the idea to implement elements from Emerald from the start would we have had this stuff added in? After even then they seemed they were so busy re-inventing RS Hoenn with new that that they decided to forgo the stuff done in Emerald. Now I like the new stuff they added, but without the Emerald stuff and heck ignoring some other aspects it does feel they decided to cut corners and sadly one of these corners was the Battle Fronter.

As for a difficulty choice, like above I think we've talked all about this before. Would be nice to have (especially from the start and not version exclusive, what they were thinking with BW2 I have no idea...), but unlikely because what if the kiddies chose hard mode accidentally? I mean it's not like you could make it so that they could switch between difficulties.

On that same note of being able to switch from a choice we made, how come we're restricted to the language we choose? I'm assuming all the languages we can select are in the game, so how come once we choose English or German or Japanese we can't switch to another language?

Ah, but as Detective Barricade said they are being consistent with not including the Battle Frontier. See, we got a Ruby & Sapphire remake, NOT an Emerald remake. Had we asked for an Emerald remake then MAYBE we would have gotten the Battle Frontier along with other things that Emerald had done like...
That actually isn't consistent. HeartGold/SoulSilver was a hybrid of Gold & Silver and Crystal It had a modified version of the Suicune/Eusine story, the Generation IV Battle Frontier is in the same location as Crystal's Battle Tower, and the GTS is in Goldenrod City, the same location as the Pokémon Communication Center in the Japanese version of Crystal. It wouldn't have been out of line for the Battle Frontier to return.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
That actually isn't consistent. HeartGold/SoulSilver was a hybrid of Gold & Silver and Crystal It had a modified version of the Suicune/Eusine story, the Generation IV Battle Frontier is in the same location as Crystal's Battle Tower, and the GTS is in Goldenrod City, the same location as the Pokémon Communication Center in the Japanese version of Crystal. It wouldn't have been out of line for the Battle Frontier to return.

It never hurts anyone to have a hard mode option
No, but the one time they did try to implement it they did so poorly. Only a couple levels higher, important trainers may carry an extra Pokemon in their teams, and may carry a move that's super-effective against the obvious counter, (Roxie's extra carries Mud Slap for Magnemite) and you have to know someone who's already beaten Black 2 to unlock it for you. I'm sure many casual players didn't even know about the Assist/Challenge modes until they beat the game when it unlocks for the respective games and forgot about it soon after.

As for the Frontier, I probably wouldn't mind its absence as much if they didn't tease it in the Battle Resort. Not quite sure how Mega Evolution would be implemented in the Pyramid (no outside items and Rayquaza has always been banned from battle facilities) and Palace... (can't select the Pokemon's move for the turn) But the most likely reason for not putting it in is we're not done yet with Gen 6, thus they don't want to put in all the stops and be forced to come up with even more to encourage people to buy the new game that will tide us over until they're ready to start the Gen 7 hype train.

I assume we're not able to change the language in the Gen 6 games to keep us from doing the Masuda method breeding with just the Pokemon from our game. What other reason would a kid want to change the language after they start the game?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)