All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Zokuru

The Stall Lord
is a Tiering Contributor
Is there the HP Legend clause atm in GSC OU ? I want to say, Raikou / Zapdos with HP Ice / Grass are banned ?

I noticed that in an ADV battle (on smog tours), if the Pokemon who moves first uses Self-Destruct or Explosion, the turn ends right after that Pokemon's turn without the other Pokemon making a move. Is this supposed to happen?

Are there any sims for RBY that implement the thing where Normals can't be paralyzed by Body Slam, Fires can't get burned by Fire Blast, and Ices can't be frozen by Icebeam/Blizzard?

Does anyone care enough about RBY to think about doing it?

and PO for that matter, so the attitude feels very unnecessary
Sorry if that came off as jerk-y. I've never found that many people to play with, I assumed most old gens were forgotten and everyone would jump on the latest games. Last people I knew that knew/wanted to play RBY were on Pojo about 5 years ago.

After more lurking I was pleasantly surprised that Smogon has a good-sized and actually active past-gen community.

Hi

Anyone can give me good spread for subpuncher breloom in dpp ? i mean one with like a lot of bulk(idk how to make spread for breloom tho)

for a more defensive standpoint this is one i have used a lot:

172 hp / 204 def / 132 spe, adamant

172 hp -> poison heal number
204 def -> cb tar se can 2hko ~4% of the time (after sr and sand, only 3hko if no rocks)
scarf tar crunch can't break ur subs
132 spe -> faster than restalk rotom

loom is very flexible in spread as just adapt to whatever you need, like throwing some evs to sdef to shrug off better ib from waters and fire blast ttar, more atk/spe, etc. so there is more than this one, just to get an idea

hope it helped

how good is persian in RBY tradebacks? i'm imagining more alakazam leads as a result, but also doubling up persian and tauros seems pretty legit since you can just mash slash and try to sleep anything that isn't paralyzed? or something?

related question: are there any peeps who regularly play rby tradebacks?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The answer to the second question is no, and as such I'm not really certain what the presumed metagame would look like but I mean Hypnosis Persian and random Amnesia shit seems the most relevant. Perhaps Zam picks an elemental punch of choice over Seismic Toss to dick one of Starmie or Eggy, prob Ice Punch because Eggy doesn't have Recover and it can freeze shit. The question to ask with regard to Persian lead is, is it better than Gengar? I don't think it is, since Persian is fragile enough that it just gets dicked by the same shit Gengar does via its type weakness. Persian is faster than Gengar but can't do anything to its 1v1 except get the sleep... speed ties Starmie I suppose. Persian is also fucked if it misses and gets slept on the return, because it has no defensive utility like Jynx or Gengar. Still mashes Slash though, can't be that bad.

Quick Attack on Dodrio is my favorite thing about tradebacks. D:

Who are some of the greatest ADV players, from back then to now, and what made them good? As objectively as possible, based on tournament wins, laddering success, teambuilding innovation, etc. Mostly curious about past players and their accomplishments.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Who are some of the greatest ADV players, from back then to now, and what made them good? As objectively as possible, based on tournament wins, laddering success, teambuilding innovation, etc. Mostly curious about past players and their accomplishments.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tournament-statistics-archive.3538686/

Is where all of our major tournament statistics are at, but the relevant links are:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1diUza9dYTgzEsFOV8VfEyRtu_s-Hy9lQWy6gTiP9yWg/edit#gid=0

Scroll to the right to ADV

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-tour-seasons-1-13-statistics.3458348/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-battlers-of-smogon-tours-updated-with-seasons-1-5.59886/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15EPIvLKmZfRDFmZMiGpYcDmWAQ164GXxvGedDbww6yM/edit#gid=3

ADV makes a return to Tour for Season 11 until it was dropped for the release of XY for Tour 17 (the seasons of which were arguably the most competitive Tour seasons ever)

And then Danilo won this year's first ADV Cup for the Smogon Classic. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/adv-cup-i-finals-won-by-danilo.3542850/

This is purely by tournament statistics though, you'll hear from a lot of different people who the best ADVer was/is/ever will be based on various criteria like inbattle skill or teambuilding. Many will tell you that the best from back then to now is VIL, others will say DM or McM or GS or Ojama are better ADVers now, others will say Majin or goofball or husk were or are better.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I know about the sleep talk in adv but what I'm wondering is if gsc was tested to see if it has the same mechanic as well or not.

Just wondering because if it doesn't, it seems a bit weird how it goes back and forth after each gen for how sleep talk works so I wouldn't be surprised if gsc uses the same sleep talk mechanics as well.

I wonder, how to play Nosepass in NU ?

Because the Skarmory Counter is useless in this tier, a Steel-trapping role with Magnet Pull and EQ/FPunch is outclassed by Diglett Arena Trap (even by Trapinch Arena Trap), ...

Your opinions ?

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I wonder, how to play Nosepass in NU ?

Because the Skarmory Counter is useless in this tier, a Steel-trapping role with Magnet Pull and EQ/FPunch is outclassed by Diglett Arena Trap (even by Trapinch Arena Trap), ...

Your opinions ?
Nosepass isn't worth using in ADV NU if that's what you're driving at. Theoretically, if you were to use to trap, its main niche would be to trap Mawile in NU, but it would probably lose most of the time if not all the time, so really its main niche would be to trap Lairon and Metang, but they are rarely seen so bringing Nosepass wouldn't be worth it. You'd be correct that it's outclassed by Diglett as a trapper, as it can take out not only the Steel-types, but the other prominent Rock-types too, as well as dangerous Fire-types like Flareon and other weakened Pokemon like Roselia and Plusle.

The Nosepass analysis on the Dex is from ~10 years ago and extremely outdated, but in fairness, it probably has more use in OU than it does in NU as it can effectively trap Skarmory (though Magneton is 10000x better at this role).

If you really want to use Nosepass in NU, it'd probably be best to make use of its surprisingly decent Special Defense to make it a mixed wall of sorts to wall not only the prominent Normal and Flying-types, but also an effective Fire-type check that doesn't just buckle to Hidden Power Grass unlike Sudowoodo and Graveler. So the best set would probably look like:

Nosepass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Toxic
- Hidden Power Rock / Thunder Wave
- Protect
- Explosion

There's really nothing else for it to do lol, and even with this set it's completely outclassed by Magcargo save for the ability to use Thunder Wave and ability to not die completely horribly to Hidden Power Ground.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)