Resource Creative and Underrated Sets: ORAS Edition (NO SHITTY GIMMICKS, Read Post #419)

Status
Not open for further replies.
sudowoodo generally has bulk than golem - for example, if you don't lead with sudowoodo, you can still switch into offensive heatran's fire blast and still knocked into custap range. this can be shown to be very clutch in situation considering how much of a game changer getting up stealth rock can be to hyper offensive teams. golem and sudowoodo both have horrible speed regardless, so an extra 15 doesn't change much to be honest (especially when the goal is to be in custap range).

however, if you want stronger moves, go ahead and use golem. sudowoodo also gets sucker punch btw
Golem gets Sucker Punch too :P

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of effective sets, what happened to the archive? It hasn't been updated in almost eight months, and I have seen a lot of archivable posts since it was last updated. Do you intend to ever update it, or are you just gonna handle it by continuing to delete ineffective sets? This is purely out of interest tbh, and I'm just interested to hear your response :)
I'm working on it. Just a few months behind is all.

Here are two sets that I've been working on for a team made around a Rampardos.

Rampardos @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Punch
- Crunch
Rampardos has never really been that viable in the OU tier due to it's crappy defensive stats as well as its pathetic speed stat. However, with the right support, Rampardos can certainly be a force to be reckoned with. Whether it be Tailwind (which 'm using), Trickroom, Sticky Web, or Baton Pass, once set up properly, Rampardos can dent holes into the foe's team. In particular, Rampardos is fantastic at breaking apart balance once all bulky ground types are gone (with the help of team support). The power of a pokemon with a 165 attack base stat as well as Sheer Force and Life Orb is incredible. EVs are there to max attack and speed. Rock Slide is used over Stone Edge because of the sheer force boost, lack of recoil, and better accuracy. Thunder Punch allows Rampardos to muscle pass things like Skarmory and bulky water types. Fire Punch is to punish steel type switch ins such as Scizor. Crunch is the final coverage move of choice, being there to bop Garchomp and whatnot on the switch. If only this thing got ice punch...

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Memento
- Moonblast
- Encore
This thing has proven to be incredibly useful that Im surprised it hasn't gone up a tier or two yet. This is the pokemon of choice that supplies Rampardos with the much needed speed. Tailwind, while a viable option, is hardly ever used. Memento is to get a free switch into Rampardos so he can start wall breaking. Moonblast is there to break things like Mega Altaria, Hoopa-U, etc. Encore is the main reason to use Whimsicott in the first place. With Encore, you can lock your opponents into a boosting move, bring out Rampardos if they don't swap, and heavily dent your opposition. The set maximizes defense so Whimsicott can take hits better.

How to tell I'm not pulling this out of my ass: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-254115083

With regards to the Offensive Cleric Clefable set, I've ditched the cleric part of the set and have run Knock off on LO Clefable with a -Speed nature. It surprises a lot of switch ins like Gengar, JIrachi, Heatran, etc. It's pretty good utility even though it doesn't do much damage.

Here are two sets that I've been working on for a team made around a Rampardos.
why dont you try a jolly 252 atak 252 speed set with rock slide / fire punch / rock polish / crunch or thunder punch or iron head ? he is not really bulk enough to survive anything when tailwind is over in the next 3 turns ( the turn it was activated and the turn you switched to rampardos was wasted) and wont be so dependent to try to sweep

Last edited:
Jaws (Sharpedo) (M) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 160 Atk / 96 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Fang

Mega Sharpedo is the definition of a late game cleaner, and this set puts it to work in OU. However this set is already shown on the Smogon Analysis page, I am merely posting it because it is underrated. Mega Sharpedo's pre-mega ability (Speed Boost) is excellent for a cleaner and after mega evolving with speed, you get nice attack and special attack and a very formidable ability, Strong Jaw, which makes Crunch into a formidable STAB move.

The spread needs max speed to tie w/ Scarf Lando T at +1, and I went for the 92 SpAtk because it nets the KO on Landorus-T's defensive variant after rocks. Crunch and Ice Fang still have a very high damage output, although it isn't max attack. The spread allows Sharpedo to net KO's on many walls in the tier, but it is walled by Ferrothorn, sadly, although Ferrothorn takes a decent amount from Crunch, and Mega Lopunny can take a Hydro Pump and even a Drain Punch can end this shark. I run Hydro Pump because it can deal with many physical walls and can knock out most variants of Lando-T which Waterfall may not, thanks to Intimidate, which means that Ice Fang my not kill it.

Solid wallbreakers that can punch holes in things like Ferrothorn are useful; Magnezone, Weavile, Band Dragonite, LO Alakazam and Bisharp are very helpful with this role, as their damage on walls to weaken them means that Sharpedo can pick them off late game. Stuff that deals with Keldeo like Amoonguss, Clefable, Latios and Sylveon are excellent teammates too! Hazard stackers and rocks can help Mega Sharpedo turn 3HKO's into 2HKO's and 2HKO's into OHKO's are nice too, so stuff like Dragagle, Hippowdon, Landorus-Therian and Heatran are really nice teammates too!

Sorry if my post is shaky in some ways, I'm fairly inexperienced in OU, I spend most of my time playing in the lower tiers, so forgive me if this post is the most horrible thing you've seen in your life, I'll think of a new set and come back with something nice that will work! This is all a learning experience for me, so be as harsh as you like, I'll take all the advice I can get to hopefully be good some day :D

96 SpA Mega Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 336-396 (87.9 - 103.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
96 SpA Mega Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 187-222 (55.9 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
164+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 376-444 (89.5 - 105.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
96 SpA Mega Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 356-422 (100.5 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge

Thought I would share a bit of 'innovation' I've been using lately on a Hyper Offense team that I really enjoy. Garchomp's great bulk enables it to check many prominent physical attackers and wear them down, but against certain mons, such as Talonflame and Mega Charizard Y, it simply lacks ways of dealing any meaningful damage to them. Dragon Tail only delays the inevitable and Toxic can only do so much, especially if the Talonflame you are facing is a Taunt variant. Instead of just sitting there, Stone Edge allows Garchomp to fight back against Talonflame, scoring a OHKO against all variants when not burned, and if it does get burned, it can force Talonflame to Roost, which forces 50-50s with Earthquake. Stone Edge also lets Garchomp take out Mega Charizard Y with very little issue, especially since the given EV spread lets Garchomp avoid the 2HKO from a Timid Fire Blast. Given that Garchomp tends to not be able to do much to Flying-types when running a bulky set, running Stone Edge is a great way to catch your opponent off guard. Stone Edge also 2HKOes both variants of Tornadus-T if you're into that, although Garchomp doesn't really appreciate Hurricanes, especially from Life Orb variants.​

With regards to the Offensive Cleric Clefable set, I've ditched the cleric part of the set and have run Knock off on LO Clefable with a -Speed nature. It surprises a lot of switch ins like Gengar, JIrachi, Heatran, etc. It's pretty good utility even though it doesn't do much damage.
Can you share a replay? That gave me an idea for a set with drain punch over heal bell. Heatran is a common swith-in, and forcing it out before it can use stealth rock is a huge boon for my team.

Actually, t-wave + knock-off is a great utility combo that hits everything. I usually have those on Ferrothorn, but Clefa can use them pretty well.

Also, Crunch + Superpower + Rock Tomb + Pursuit is probably the best set for TyraniTomb. Ice Punch can be used over Crunch if you have problems with Lando-T, and Dragon Dance can be used over Pursuit if you have cleric support and you're certain you can force a switch.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This isn't really a creative set but I think it's underrated right now:

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 20 SpA / 236 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head / HP Fire

Physically oriented Kyu-B has just as few switch-ins as the special one. Sure it doesn't OHKO Heatran, Hippo and some other things but most are still cleanly 2HKO'd. Common switch-ins like Chansey and Clefable are torn down by the brute strength of this set. Fusion Bolt 2HKOs MG Clefable most of the time but Iron Head is an option to better handle it. HP Fire can still be used to lure Scizor and Ferrothorn which sadly do still wall otherwise (and Magnezone as well), though it is a 2HKO. Other things like specially defensive Mew and whatnot lose to Dragon Claw leaving the only real switch-in to this as Cresselia which isn't taking on Outrage very well if you choose to run that.

Jaws (Sharpedo) (M) @ Sharpedonite
EVs: 164 Atk / 92 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Fang

96 SpA Mega Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 336-396 (87.9 - 103.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
96 SpA Mega Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 187-222 (55.9 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
164+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 376-444 (89.5 - 105.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
96 SpA Mega Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 356-422 (100.5 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Just a minor nitpick, the evs you presented had 92 SpA, but the calcs are 96

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
credits to vertex for this, who mentioned this set when I saw writing Sharpedo's analysis.

AoA Mega Sharpedo

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
EVs: 212 Atk / 64 SpA / 232 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Fang

Mega Sharpedo is normally played with Protect in the place of Hidden Power Fire, in order to accumulate Speed Boosts and scout. However, 4 Attacks Mega Sharpedo is perfectly viable as a wallbreaker, as the extra coverage allows Mega Sharpedo to circumvent Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor which otherwise beat it. Plays quite differently to the normal 3 Attacks + Protect set as this set lacks Protect and thus a safer route to accumulate Speed Boosts. Should use regular Sharpedo to KO a weakened Pokemon, accumulate a Speed Boost, and wallbreak from there. EVs are kind complicated but Mega Sharpedo can't run max Speed anymore because of Hidden Power Fire lowering its Speed IV from 31 to 30, meaning it no longer ties with Choice Scarf Landorus-T at +1. 232 Speed guarantees Mega Sharpedo outspeeds Excadrill normally, and Choice Scarf variants at +1. 64 Special Attack means Hidden Power Fire 2HKOes Ferrothorn after one layer of Spikes, and the rest is put into Attack for maximum power.

Overall cool set that I've been toying with, obviously needs a bit of support. I've been pairing it up with Life Orb Spikes Roserade, which is a cool combination becuase of Roserade beating Keldeo, Azumarill, and Clefable which Mega Sharpedo are unable to break past, as well as providing Spikes support so that Mega Sharpedo 2HKOes Ferrothorn.

I had a replay but then I forgot to put Speed Boost on Sharpedo, meaning I lost lol. I was about to sweep the last four members of the opposing team but I couldn't gain the Speed Boost so eh whatever. Enjoy n_n, will find replays soon.

upload_2015-8-15_15-33-28.png

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 Atk / 216 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Something I have been using now and again. I used tailwind over taunt and it's been working out nicely. Towards the end of a battle, Tornadus might need to be sacked as it does nothing to the other guy's team. Tailwind doubles the speed of your remaining mons for a short while, which can turn a loss into a victory, especially if you have a Kyurem B, or something, in the back. Tornadus is usually faster than the other mon, so it usually works.

Poek

squadala
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
credits to vertex for this, who mentioned this set when I saw writing Sharpedo's analysis.

AoA Mega Sharpedo

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
EVs: 212 Atk / 64 SpA / 232 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Fang

Mega Sharpedo is normally played with Protect in the place of Hidden Power Fire, in order to accumulate Speed Boosts and scout. However, 4 Attacks Mega Sharpedo is perfectly viable as a wallbreaker, as the extra coverage allows Mega Sharpedo to circumvent Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor which otherwise beat it. Plays quite differently to the normal 3 Attacks + Protect set as this set lacks Protect and thus a safer route to accumulate Speed Boosts. Should use regular Sharpedo to KO a weakened Pokemon, accumulate a Speed Boost, and wallbreak from there. EVs are kind complicated but Mega Sharpedo can't run max Speed anymore because of Hidden Power Fire lowering its Speed IV from 31 to 30, meaning it no longer ties with Choice Scarf Landorus-T at +1. 232 Speed guarantees Mega Sharpedo outspeeds Excadrill normally, and Choice Scarf variants at +1. 64 Special Attack means Hidden Power Fire 2HKOes Ferrothorn after one layer of Spikes, and the rest is put into Attack for maximum power.

Overall cool set that I've been toying with, obviously needs a bit of support. I've been pairing it up with Life Orb Spikes Roserade, which is a cool combination becuase of Roserade beating Keldeo, Azumarill, and Clefable which Mega Sharpedo are unable to break past, as well as providing Spikes support so that Mega Sharpedo 2HKOes Ferrothorn.

I had a replay but then I forgot to put Speed Boost on Sharpedo, meaning I lost lol. I was about to sweep the last four members of the opposing team but I couldn't gain the Speed Boost so eh whatever. Enjoy n_n, will find replays soon.
Hey, I'm kinda late here, I like the idea of 4 atks Sharpedo, but I simply don't get why would you use Hidden Power Fire, because it does roughly the same damage as Crunch to the targets you mentioned, and you said you were providing spikes support to it, which it means that the 2% more that HP Fire does to these targets become kinda useless. Instead, why not Poison Jab > HP Fire and Ice Beam > Ice Fang? With this approach, Mega Sharpedo wallbreaks quite more frequently, as now it isn't completely walled by the annoyance that is Clefable, you don't want to give free t-waves to that thing, plus it does a ton to Azumarill. Ice Beam is kinda inferior to Ice Fang at the terms of doing more damage to things, but in the long run you will appreciate it more, so that you can freely Ice Beam a tank chomp without having to mega evolve, allowing you to provide more speed boosts, and it's also nice because you don't take that residual damage from rocky helmet + rough skin, allowing you to possibly take a Brave Bird from Talonflame, which can come clutch. Ice Fang is still a very solid option, though. Not much else to say, cool set and looking forward to try it out ^^

idk if this has been posted, since the last time OP was updated was November 30th. That is a long time ago.

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature/ Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Ancientpower/Stone Edge/ Flamethrower/

Basically, you switch in on stuff Heatran is meant to switch in on (Ferrothorn and stuff) and just click one of your STABs. Usually Fire Blast. Sometimes flash cannon. Who knows. Look at your opponents team and figure out what they have the least resistances to.

Damage output is pretty good if modest. Can strip away half of Keldeo's health with 1 fire blast if it wants to switch in. Other moves take a chunk out of it too.
Assault vest Azumarril only fares a little better:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Flash Cannon vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 169-201 (42.1 - 50.1%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Fire Blast vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 117-138 (29.1 - 34.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Last slot is whatever. the rock moves help you deal with Char-Y and Talonflame, flamethrower for more consistency. HP ice/ dragon pulse sound good, but Latios loses half its health if it tanks a fire blast, so it's probably not worth it. Dragonite poops over you though.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 135-160 (45.1 - 53.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Good for just nuking stuff and watching your opponent type "o_o" or some variation into the chat window as they realize they can't switch into this monster.

Ive been using a variation of that for months now, and I use Overheat instead of Fire Blast. And I also use HP Electric for the fourth move.

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Abililty: Flash Fire
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
-Overheat
-Flash Cannon
-Earth Power/Fire Blast
-HP Electric

Overheat itself does like 60-70% to a Keldeo which is what they always bring in. So with little prior damage, you can OHKO it, or if you're feeling brave you can hit it with HP Electric to do even more damage. Same goes with Starmie, Gyarados, Slowbro (Gets 2 shotted by HP Electric), and pretty much every water type who think they're so safe coming in.
If you want a safe Fire move, I'd put it over Earth Power as it only really hits other Heatrans. Other than that, it's a very fun set and it completely wrecks havoc!

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Scizor @ Lansat Berry
Ability: Technician
112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Natural Gift
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite / Knock Off / Pursuit

This is a pretty cool Keldeo and Mega Venusaur Lure. The idea is that with good prediction you use Natural Gift on Keldeo when it switches in then follow up with a Bullet Punch which KOes it. As for Mega Venusaur you Dance on the turn it switches in and then KO it the next turn with Natural Gift since you outrun most variants. It also lures in Volcarona and Emboar and Infernape and bop them.

252+ Atk Lansat Berry Scizor Natural Gift (100 BP Flying) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 260-308 (80.4 - 95.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Lansat Berry Scizor Natural Gift (100 BP Flying) vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 340-402 (103.3 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Lansat Berry Scizor Natural Gift (100 BP Flying) vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 400-472 (111.4 - 131.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Lansat Berry Scizor Natural Gift (100 BP Flying) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 316-374 (107.8 - 127.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
If you really wanted flying coverage it gets Aerial Ace, which works more than one time per battle and gives you a free item slot. With technician it's almost as powerful as this but with an item, Life Orb for example it hits harder than this. I'm not really sure NG Flying is overly justifiable over this. Also in games where your opponent doesn't have mons like venusaur, infernape, etc then an Aerial Ace set would be better because of the item slot. Sorry but unless you can put forward a good argument for natural gift flying being better than aerial ace (with technician) then I don't think this set is worthwhile

e: after reading the below post, other than the weird ass lopunny set, Acro can also work > Aerial Ace but my point still stands. Not like flying coverage is exactly great on scizor anyway

Last edited:
Before you trash this set, I highly advise that you try it out for yourself before criticizing it, and all sets in general. So here it is: Mixed Lopunny

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 80 Atk / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Blizzard
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Work Up

Yeah this is really gimmicky but just because something is a gimmick doesn't mean that it can't be effective.

So I think that we all know that helmchomp and lando-t are on an absurd amount of teams atm(51.135% combined!), and this set lures those pokemon in, along with gliscor and hippo after a bit of prior damage, very effectively. The ev spread assures that 252 HP / 72 SpD chomp, all non-spdef lando-ts, and all gliscor variants after rocks (though lando-t is always kod even w/o rocks) are always ohkod by a +1 Blizzard, and that 252/112 hippo is always 2hkod by a +1 Blizzard. Ice Punch is a plausible replacement for Blizzard but taking all that damage from helmchomp and intimidate ruining your days is pretty dumb. Is Blizzard lopunny extremely situational? Yes, but those situations are on about 2/3 of the teams atm(when adding gliscor and hippo) so it isn't like the situation is uncommon. Work Up itself is a solid move on Lopunny even without Blizzard, because unlike PuP, you don't take loads of damage from Garchomp. The other two moves are obviously staples for Mega Lopunny so they do not really need explaining.

Here are some calcs in case you still don't believe that this thing is an effective lure:
+1 176 SpA Lopunny Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Garchomp: 396-468 (94.2 - 111.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 176 SpA Lopunny Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 452-532 (118.3 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 176 SpA Lopunny Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 214-254 (50.9 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 176 SpA Lopunny Blizzard vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 348-412 (98.8 - 117%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Now let's compare this to ice punch:
+1 252 Atk Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 284-336 (80.6 - 95.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 180-216 (47.1 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 122-144 (29 - 34.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 276-328 (65.7 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Do not have any saved replays of my testing atm, but I can get some if anyone has their doubts. I swear that this is not a joke lol.

Also
If you really wanted flying coverage it gets Aerial Ace, which works more than one time per battle and gives you a free item slot. With technician it's almost as powerful as this but with an item, Life Orb for example it hits harder than this. I'm not really sure NG Flying is overly justifiable over this. Also in games where your opponent doesn't have mons like venusaur, infernape, etc then an Aerial Ace set would be better because of the item slot. Sorry but unless you can put forward a good argument for natural gift flying being better than aerial ace (with technician) then I don't think this set is worthwhile
Acrobatics is a better move, because for 5 less bp, you can have the bp doubled when an item is knocked off unless you are running mega scizor obviously.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Time for some Gravity mons!

Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Gravity
- Stealth Rock

This is standard offensive landot, except for the fact that it uses gravity, a great move that lets it muscle past its "counters" as a result of the changed gravity mechanics with the only mons to not get hit hard by eq in ou being serperior, breloom and celebi, and u turn does a lot to those mons while allowing landot to pivot out to a mon like weavile which can kill them after switching in. Gravity can also support teammates with inaccurate moves like Metagross on top of helping out Landorus-T.
252+ Atk Soft Sand Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 320-380 (105.6 - 125.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Soft Sand Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 266-314 (79.6 - 94%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Soft Sand Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 176+ Def Zapdos: 402-474 (104.9 - 123.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (edge does like 50%)
252+ Atk Soft Sand Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 255-301 (79.9 - 94.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Soft Sand Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 280-331 (93 - 109.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (you usually run KO)
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gravity
- Power Whip/Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn with Gravity forces many mons that normally switch into spikes easily take damage from spikes, and can net useful KOs vs mons that arent weak to rocks, and can negate tornt's regenerator when coupled with rocks under gravity. Also, gravity makes sure that you will never lose a game due to missing leech seed or power whip while it is in effect. Gyro ball can be opted for if you're weak to rock and fairy types, or if you want a STAB move that is accurate while gravity is set up or not.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if this has been posted or not but I think it's pretty cool.

Azumarill @ Lum Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: customizable for bulk or speed
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall / Superpower
- Power-Up Punch

So these days offense tends to run Tank Chomp as a rock setter leaving Mega Sableye as a pretty big cockblock. Lum Azu eats a Will-O-Wisp and does a massive chunk with Play Rough threatening to finish it off with Aqua Jet. That was the idea when I first started using the set anyway, but it's pretty useful outside of that. Lets it check Keldeo better for certain teams that need that and also the PuP aspect of AV was always something I liked. Stole the idea to slash Superpower with Waterfall from Steve Angello's team that was posted in the team study thread (featured on an AV set), lets you mess up some things like Chansey and Ferrothorn a bit better. With PuP in the fold Aqua Jet becomes stronger anyway so for certain builds you might choose to forgo Waterfall. I'd say if you could fit Knock Off on this set somewhere too it might fit as well depending on team needs.

Last edited:
So I'm just going to preface this post by saying that it took quite a bit of courage to post this here, because I know this will get a lot of shit lol. Before you trash this set, I highly advise that you try it out for yourself before criticizing it, and all sets in general. So here it is: Mixed Lopunny

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 80 Atk / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Blizzard
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Work Up

Yeah this is really gimmicky but just because something is a gimmick doesn't mean that it can't be effective.

So I think that we all know that helmchomp and lando-t are on an absurd amount of teams atm(51.135% combined!), and this set lures those pokemon in, along with gliscor and hippo after a bit of prior damage, very effectively. The ev spread assures that 252 HP / 72 SpD chomp, all non-spdef lando-ts, and all gliscor variants after rocks (though lando-t is always kod even w/o rocks) are always ohkod by a +1 Blizzard, and that 252/112 hippo is always 2hkod by a +1 Blizzard. Ice Punch is a plausible replacement for Blizzard but taking all that damage from helmchomp and intimidate ruining your days is pretty dumb. Is Blizzard lopunny extremely situational? Yes, but those situations are on about 2/3 of the teams atm(when adding gliscor and hippo) so it isn't like the situation is uncommon. Work Up itself is a solid move on Lopunny even without Blizzard, because unlike PuP, you don't take loads of damage from Garchomp. The other two moves are obviously staples for Mega Lopunny so they do not really need explaining.

Here are some calcs in case you still don't believe that this thing is an effective lure:
+1 176 SpA Lopunny Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Garchomp: 396-468 (94.2 - 111.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 176 SpA Lopunny Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 452-532 (118.3 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 176 SpA Lopunny Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 214-254 (50.9 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 176 SpA Lopunny Blizzard vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 348-412 (98.8 - 117%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Now let's compare this to ice punch:
+1 252 Atk Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 284-336 (80.6 - 95.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 180-216 (47.1 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 122-144 (29 - 34.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 276-328 (65.7 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Do not have any saved replays of my testing atm, but I can get some if anyone has their doubts. I swear that this is not a joke lol.

Also

Acrobatics is a better move, because for 5 less bp, you can have the bp doubled when an item is knocked off unless you are running mega scizor obviously.
Like I get that this set is creative and all and it does accomplish what youve clearly designed it for but it still raises the question as to the amount of physical prowess lost. By putting so much investment into SpAtk, youre losing a lot of once guaranteed 2hkos and ohkos. My question is that is it worth taking out of your atk evs just to ensure you . The fact that you need to use blizzard rather than ice beam to ensure a ko at +1 is a testament to i guess the corners that need to be cut to make it effective, blizzard is way too inaccurate to justify its use on nearly all mons. If i remember correctly the difference between a gimmick and a lure/surprise is that a lure will actually accomplish something that is not easier done by bringing another mon. It might do what it was supposed to but comparing the pros and cons really demonstrates how many issues it has. Cudos for coming up with something like this but regardless of the courage it took to post it it doesnt change the fact that its still pretty gimmicky.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
View attachment 48082

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 Atk / 216 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Something I have been using now and again. I used tailwind over taunt and it's been working out nicely. Towards the end of a battle, Tornadus might need to be sacked as it does nothing to the other guy's team. Tailwind doubles the speed of your remaining mons for a short while, which can turn a loss into a victory, especially if you have a Kyurem B, or something, in the back. Tornadus is usually faster than the other mon, so it usually works.
Isn't Tornadus I better at this role because it has prankster for tailwind, a higher attack stat for super power and u turn as well as a higher special attack stat? I know that regenerator is cool and all, but prankster is so much nicer for tailwind because it almost always guarantees that you will get your tailwind off.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Isn't Tornadus I better at this role because it has prankster for tailwind, a higher attack stat for super power and u turn as well as a higher special attack stat? I know that regenerator is cool and all, but prankster is so much nicer for tailwind because it almost always guarantees that you will get your tailwind off.
Tornadus-T is surprisingly good in this role when compared to Tornadus-I. The higher base speed allows it to be more useful right through the match. This is because, unlike Tornadus-I, it is actually able to come in more times courtesy of Regen and its better natural bulk, giving it a higher chance of being around late-game (the point of the game at which Tailwind will actually come in handy) while also allowing it to play far more aggressively than you can with Tornadus-I as a result. Its higher speed allows it to have more use outside of a more consistent Tailwind user.

Speaking of Tornadus-I, I have had a lot of success on more bulky offensive rain builds that can afford to run a secondary setter:

Tornadus @ Damp Rock
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid / Hasty Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast / Superpower
- U-Turn

It is pretty self-explanitory so I won't go into much detail, but this acts as a secondary setter that has lots of offensive presence. EVs are simple, and moveset hits what it does for Torny-T.

Tornadus-T is surprisingly good in this role when compared to Tornadus-I. The higher base speed allows it to be more useful right through the match. This is because, unlike Tornadus-I, it is actually able to come in more times courtesy of Regen and its better natural bulk, giving it a higher chance of being around late-game (the point of the game at which Tailwind will actually come in handy) while also allowing it to play far more aggressively than you can with Tornadus-I as a result. Its higher speed allows it to have more use outside of a more consistent Tailwind user.

Speaking of Tornadus-I, I have had a lot of success on more bulky offensive rain builds that can afford to run a secondary setter:

Tornadus @ Damp Rock
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid / Hasty Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast / Superpower
- U-Turn

It is pretty self-explanitory so I won't go into much detail, but this acts as a secondary setter that has lots of offensive presence. EVs are simple, and moveset hits what it does for Torny-T.
I prefer Tornadus to Tornadus-T on rain teams for one reason (besides Prankster): Tornadus can 1HKO bulky Tyranitar with a combination of Superpower/Focus Blast and U-turn, Tornadus-T cannot.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast / Ice Beam

It's a pretty cool set that allows Nidoqueen to function as a good offensive tank. It aims to take advantage of queen's higher bulk compared to king and its ability to set up rocks easier. It's Poison/Ground typing and good bulk means it is a decent check to fairies (mainly Clef) and electric-types (Raikou, Zapdos w/ Ice Beam, Mega Mane). If it has Fire Blast it can also check Steel-types pretty well (mainly skarm, ferro and scizor), while Ice Beam allows it take care of def Lando-T, Gliscor, TankChomp and Hippo, with enough physical defense to tank Lando-T's Earthquake 87.5% of the time. Its special attack may seem low, but with LO and Sheer Force it reaches 461, and with its high-powered moves is not THAT easy to switch into.

0 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 12 Def Nidoqueen: 330-390 (86.3 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 306-360 (80.1 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Nidoqueen: 156-184 (40.8 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Raikou Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Nidoqueen: 138-164 (36.1 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (needs specs to 2HKO)
+1 252 Atk Mega Altaria Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 12 Def Nidoqueen: 322-380 (84.2 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Nidoqueen: 262-310 (68.5 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 244 HP / 12 Def Nidoqueen: 265-313 (69.3 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 577-681 (137.3 - 162.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 286-338 (68 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 619-728 (220.2 - 259%) -- guaranteed OHKO (boom headshot)
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 278-330 (83.2 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 180 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 213-252 (52.8 - 62.5%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Clefable: 359-424 (91.1 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)