Gible (QC 3/3)(GP 2/2)

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
[OVERVIEW]

While Gible faces heavy competition from other Dragon-types for an offensive role, it has several unique qualities that let it differentiate itself from its brethren. Gible's nearly unresisted STAB combination is backed up by a decent base 70 Attack, and it has a good ability in Rough Skin, which helps wear down physical attackers. However Gible has fairly low Speed and only average defenses, which isn't helped by its lack of reliable recovery and 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks. Gible's Ground typing also provides little defensive synergy with its Dragon typing. Gible should not be the first choice for an offensive Dragon-type, but it has good utility in the form of Stealth Rock and Rough Skin.

[SET]
name: Bulky Offensive
move 1: Stealth Rock / Rock Tomb
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Dragon Claw
move 4: Toxic / Roar / Rock Tomb / Iron Tail
item: Eviolite
ability: Rough Skin
nature: Adamant
evs: 132 HP / 196 Atk / 156 Def / 20 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock allows Gible to support its team, but Rock Tomb can be used if Stealth Rock support is not needed. Rock Tomb allows Gible to hit Flying-types harder than Dragon Claw can, and the move also provides support by slowing down foes. Earthquake and Dragon Claw form a nearly unresisted STAB combination, and Earthquake deals heavy damage even on neutral hits. The last moveslot has several options depending on what the team needs. Toxic allows Gible to cripple bulky foes that it cannot otherwise break through, Roar prevents Gible from being set up on and synergizes well with entry hazard support, and Iron Tail is a decent coverage option for hitting Fairy-types harder than Earthquake.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack EVs with an Adamant nature allow Gible to hit as hard as possible with its STAB moves. The given defensive EVs allow Gible to avoid multiple 2HKOs and OHKOs from threats such as Spritzee, Snubbull, and Pawniard with Eviolite factored in. The remaining EVs let Gible hit 11 Speed, allowing it to outspeed foes such as defensive Porygon and standard Timburr. Rough Skin can help Gible wear down physical attackers.

Usage Tips
========

Gible has several useful resistances and decent bulk, so it can switch into many neutral or resisted attacks. However its defenses aren't stellar and it lacks recovery, so be cautious about repeatedly switching in without Wish support. Once Gible is in, it becomes a matter of picking a STAB move to use, as only two Pokemon in LC resist both, Cottonee and Bronzor. Coverage moves can be used to hit predicted switch-ins but are fairly weak against neutral targets. Keep Gible's low Speed in mind with regards to its HP and the possibility of a foe's Ice-type coverage move.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types take devastating Ice attacks well. Chinchou can use Volt Switch to get Gible in safely, while Skrelp also resists Fairy-type attacks and threatens to KO Fairy-types with its Poison-type STAB moves. Steel-types such as Magnemite and Ferroseed resist all of Gible's weaknesses, while Gible resists and can threaten Fire-types. Ferroseed in particular provides additional entry hazard support, which can be useful if Gible is running Roar. Fire-types also resist both Fairy- and Ice-type moves and can easily break through Ferroseed, which has enough bulk to wall Gible. Gible also appreciates Wish support from Pokemon such as Spritzee, as it lacks reliable recovery of its own.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Hone Claws is Gible's only boosting option, which also lets it use Dragon Rush and Stone Edge more effectively, but Gible is a bit slow and lacks recovery to use it effectively. Outrage is a much more powerful alternative to Dragon Claw but leaves Gible very prone to being revenge killed, and is better suited on more powerful Dragon-types such as Tyrunt. Similarly, Stone Edge can be run instead of Rock Tomb, but Rock Tomb possibly lets Gible attack twice due to its secondary effect and also somewhat cripples switch-ins. Fire Blast can be run in order to hit Ferroseed and Cottonee super effectively, but Gible is let down by its atrocious Special Attack. A fully defensive set with Eviolite can be run in order to let Gible use Rough Skin more effectively, but Gible is reliant on Rest for recovery. Gible can also choose to hold Life Orb and run a faster offensive set, but due to Gible's low Speed and mediocre defenses, it is very prone to being killed quickly, although it can be effective with speed control. Gible can also hold Choice Scarf in order to make up for its low Speed, but this set lacks power and is easily walled. Berry Juice can be used for one-time recovery, but Eviolite is ultimately more useful for making Gible's defenses passable.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Both Snubbull and Spritzee are able to take any of Gible's attacks bar Iron Tail due to their general bulk and threaten todeal heavy damage back with their STAB moves. Cottonee is especially threatening because it resists both of Gible's STAB moves and threatens to deal massive damage with Dazzling Gleam.

**Ice-types**: Because of Gible's 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks, virtually all Ice-types threaten to KO it with their STAB moves; most outspeed Gible as well, although Rock Tomb hits them very hard.

**Ice-type Attacks**: Even without STAB, an Ice-type move can hurt Gible severely if not outright OHKO it. Common Pokemon with Ice-type coverage moves include Porygon, Staryu, and Chinchou.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Bulky foes are usually able to take Gible's attacks, as base 70 Attack isn't overwhelming. Examples include Ferroseed, Slowpoke, and Porygon, which can all repeatedly take Gible's attacks and threaten it back. However, most bulky Pokemon do not appreciate Toxic.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey Merritt.

I personally don't thing Gible is viable enough to receive two sets. As you said, base 70 Attack is decent, but it's Gible's only asset. I would remove the defensive set or at least relegate it to other options. When you do this, I will give this a proper check; I assume it is otherwise ready for QC.

sup Merritt

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the Choice Scarf set, mostly because Drilbur does it like 10x better (faster, stronger, has Mold Breaker, has spin for utility, etc making a much better late-game cleaner/revenge killer). Gible's advantages lie in its coverage, not to mention STAB Outrage is cool, but it's honestly quite weak with scarf; Iron Head can't 2HKO Spritzee after rocks, Iron Tail relies on rolls and has bad accuracy, Stone Edge is a 3HKO on Vullaby and has trouble OHKOing Fletch (lol)... basically, from my short period of testing with Gible, I've had more success using Life Orb to amp up its damage output.

This is the set I'm using atm

Gible @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Atk / 116 SpA / 180 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Iron Head / Stone Edge

Life Orb lets Gible get a ton of 2HKOes that it would otherwise miss with its STABs. Fire Blast OHKOes Ferro after SR and does a ton to Cotton, Foongus and friends. Vullaby is honestly still a problem even if you run Stone Edge + LO, which is why I switched to Iron Head to nab that 2HKO on spritz after rocks and to deal heavy damage to Snubbull. So... yeah, a bunch of powerful coverage options + LO is really cool; give it web support and it's even better. I'd rather have LO be the set than Scarf... but you + others should weigh in with your thoughts here.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
sup Merritt

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the Choice Scarf set, mostly because Drilbur does it like 10x better (faster, stronger, has Mold Breaker, has spin for utility, etc making a much better late-game cleaner/revenge killer). Gible's advantages lie in its coverage, not to mention STAB Outrage is cool, but it's honestly quite weak with scarf; Iron Head can't 2HKO Spritzee after rocks, Iron Tail relies on rolls and has bad accuracy, Stone Edge is a 3HKO on Vullaby and has trouble OHKOing Fletch (lol)... basically, from my short period of testing with Gible, I've had more success using Life Orb to amp up its damage output.

This is the set I'm using atm

Gible @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Atk / 116 SpA / 180 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Iron Head / Stone Edge

Life Orb lets Gible get a ton of 2HKOes that it would otherwise miss with its STABs. Fire Blast OHKOes Ferro after SR and does a ton to Cotton, Foongus and friends. Vullaby is honestly still a problem even if you run Stone Edge + LO, which is why I switched to Iron Head to nab that 2HKO on spritz after rocks and to deal heavy damage to Snubbull. So... yeah, a bunch of powerful coverage options + LO is really cool; give it web support and it's even better. I'd rather have LO be the set than Scarf... but you + others should weigh in with your thoughts here.
I'm certainly not opposed to a LO set being a standard, but I'd have to test it over scarf. The main advantage to Gible is absolutely its great STAB coverage, so being able to switch moves is certainly a plus. Being OHKOed isn't though, and LO Gible seems somewhat prone to it, being slow and not overly bulky.

I am doubtful as to the real usability of Fire Blast on Gible, however. While nailing Ferroseed hard, it's the only real target due to Gible's terrible special attack. It's also fairly reminiscent of Dratini, who also has access to priority and Dragon Dance. Perhaps a similar set with Eviolite would be better. I would like some other people to weigh in, however.

I haven't used Gible much, but I really don't think a Scarf set is justified, for the reasons sparktrain mentioned. I think a Life Orb or Eviolite set is best here, but only one. Right off, Gible's poor speed and lack of good priority makes Life Orb kinda unappealing, but Eviolite really loses a lot of power on important targets. Since you've had more experience with Gible, I'll let you make the call here meritt, but please get rid of the scarf set.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I have a little experience both using and facing Gible, and I am also inclined to disagree with Choice Scarf being the primary set. However, between both Eviolite and Life Orb, I'm kind of stuck on where to draw the defining line at what's most effective and what trades away too much for too little benefit. Gible has a subpar Speed tier, and Eviolite gives it usable bulk that it can use to set rocks effectively and still fire off potent attacks on the wayside. I'm leaning more towards Rocks as being at least slashed on either an LO or Eviolite set, because that gives it the chance to hit hard and still have the option to get Rocks up, which isn't crucial to Gible of course and could be thrown into Other Options if needbe, in which case I think LO is most suitable.

that was ridiculous, I'm basically saying that Gible can run rocks pretty safely with Eviolite, but if power is valued most on Gible then it should run LO and just have rocks as an option.

Merritt

no comment
Head TD
After doing some testing with Gible using LO (since I haven't used LO Gible before, unlike Eviolite) I'm incredibly underwhelmed. It's just so slow and lacks bulk. Sure it hits harder, but I'm getting off maybe one or two attacks before dying.

I'm not in favor of making LO the primary set, but Scarf isn't very good, yeah. I'm going to test out a bulky Eviolite spread with 11 Spe since Gible doesn't even need max speed since it's slower than so many offensive threats. 11 Spe lets it beat standard Porygon at least, who's the most likely Ice Beam user.

Until done testing, moving this back to WIP.

Merritt

no comment
Head TD
Updated for both format and set. LO was too frail and usually underperformed. The Eviolite set given has done fairly well in testing, but if anything leaps out at you as wrong, please tell me.

Otherwise, ready for QC.

Arcueid

nah i'd win nah i'd win nah i'd win
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
Amateur QC Check!
(it's my first)

Overview:
  • seems ok
Set:
  • Honestly, I'll prefer @sparkytrain's LO set more.
  • ---calcs for Sparkytrain's set, not yours--
  • 196 Atk Life Orb Gible Iron Head vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 13-16 (48.1 - 59.2%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO
  • 196 Atk Life Orb Gible Iron Tail vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 13-18 (48.1 - 66.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
  • Both of these are Guaranteed to 2HKO with your set/Rocks up
  • 196 Atk Gible Iron Head vs. 116 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Snubbull: 10-14 (41.6 - 58.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 196 Atk Life Orb Gible Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 12-16 (57.1 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 196 Atk Life Orb Gible Outrage vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 13-17 (61.9 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 196 Atk Gible Outrage vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 10-13 (40 - 52%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock.
  • This is the best Gible can do without LO to Foongus, but with LO it can..
  • 196 Atk Life Orb Gible Outrage vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 13-17 (52 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 92 SpA Life Orb Gible Fire Blast vs. 124 HP / 160 SpD Eviolite Foongus: 13-16 (52 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 116 SpA Life Orb Gible Fire Blast vs. 124 HP / 160 SpD Eviolite Foongus: 13-18 (52 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • tl;dr It increases it's damage output and it manages to get certain 2HKOs although with this set, it's defenses are weak.
  • ----Calcs for your set----
  • -1 196+ Atk Gible Iron Head vs. 116 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Snubbull: 8-10 (33.3 - 41.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 196+ Atk Gible Iron Head vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 10-12 (37 - 44.4%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 196+ Atk Gible Outrage vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Mienfoo: 18-22 (85.7 - 104.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 236 Atk Life Orb Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Gible: 17-21 (77.2 - 95.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • tl;dr, more bulky, but weaker. Your choice with which set you go for. Hence why I talked about both sets
Moves (I know you mentioned some of these, but I gave examples too):
  • ------If you decide to keep with Evio------- (Go for this portion)
  • Earthquake is a powerful STAB that dents most things that are not named Spritzee, Porygon, Hippopotas, and Slowpoke. It also dents most things that are not resistant or immune to it.
  • Outrage is vulnerable to Fairy-type switch ins as it locks you into Outrage, hence allowing Spritzee (Moonblast) or Snubull (Play Rough) to OHKO it.
  • Stone Edge is an option if you already have a SR setter, and allows Gible to hit flying types such as Vullaby, Fletchling, Archen, and Zubat that are immune to Earthquake hard without the risk of a Fairy-type coming in on a Dragon-type attack
  • ------If you decide LO-----
  • EQ is a powerful STAB that 2HKOs and dents most things in the tier that do not resist it or are immune to it thanks to LO.
  • Fire Blast 2HKOs bulky grass types such as Ferroseed and Foongus.
  • Iron Head does a heavy amount of damage to Snubull, it 2HKOs Spritzee after rocks
  • Outrage is vulnerable to Fairy-type switch ins as it locks you into Outrage, hence allowing Spritzee (Moonblast) or Snubull (Play Rough) to OHKO it.
Set Details:
  • -----If you decide to keep Evio------ (Go for this portion)
  • All good, besides in the last bullet point, you typo'd on bulk by typing 'bul'
  • -----If you decide to LO------
  • EV Spread: 196 Atk/116 SpA/180 Spe
  • Maximum Attack investment
  • Naive/Hasty nature because: we're running both special attacks and physical attacks. If we would use Hasty, Sucker Punches would do more damage, although, due to Naive, Croagunk's Vacuum Wave hurts more (who would stay in on a Gible using Croagunk?)
  • Maximum Speed Investment
  • Remaining EVs go to SpA, Fire Blast still does a maximum of 90% damage on Gible
  • Life Orb to maximize damage output
Usage Tips:
  • Seems all good
Team Options (I know you mentioned some of these, but I gave examples):
  • Sticky Webs Support in the form of Surskit, Sewaddle, or Spinarak
  • Steel Partners such as Bronzor or Magnemite
  • Fletchling appreciates Gible's ability to weaken or kill common checks to it Chinchou, Magnemite, Tyrunt (although this outspeeds Gible by one point), and Bulky Ponyta.
OO and Checks & Counters:
  • Both are all good
  • In CC, give examples of Bulky Checks such as Porygon, Spritzee, and Ferroseed (Non Fire Blast sets which the standard is not using)

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
Head TD
Hi Ruby. and thanks for your criticism! While I appreciate your enthusiasm for LO Gible, I did test the two sets (Eviolite and LO) and found that LO Gible was in general less useful. I can explain why easily.

Gible suffers two big flaws for LO. It's slow and can't bypass its speed like Dratini, and it's not overwhelmingly powerful with LO. Its frailness comes into play because it's slow. Since Gible will almost always be taking at least one attack even on a switch-in, it has issues with staying alive. Without Eviolite and bulk investment, Gible gets 2HKOed by many, many neutral hits. If Life Orb let Gible get OHKOs instead of 2HKOs then it would be worth using, but as it stands Gible is subpar with LO.

While I appreciate the effort you took to put in calcs, you missed two things. First, Evio Gible is Adamant. This reduces the power gap somewhat. Second, Snubbull has intimidate, meaning you're not 2HKOing either way. You also forgot to take into account the defensive calcs.

I admit that I've been somewhat lazy in updating. I've changed the spread to be more physically bulky, 132 HP / 156 Def / 0 SpDef. Here's the defensive calcs.

196+ Atk Snubbull Play Rough vs. 132 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Gible: 18-24 (75 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
12 SpA Spritzee Moonblast vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gible: 18-24 (75 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Mienfoo Drain Punch vs. 132 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Gible: 7-9 (29.1 - 37.5%) -- 17.6% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
236 Atk Life Orb Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 132 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Gible: 17-21 (70.8 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
180 Atk Archen Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 132 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Gible: 13-16 (54.1 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 196 Atk Timburr Drain Punch vs. 132 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Gible: 10-13 (41.6 - 54.1%) -- 59.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Here's the biggest one though.

196+ Atk Fletchling Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 132 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Gible: 9-12 (37.5 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

196+ Atk Gible Outrage vs. 156 HP / 92 Def Fletchling: 18-22 (78.2 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
This means Gible can counter Fletchling because of Rough Skin damage.

I appreciate that LO Gible can work, especially on teams with speed control like Sticky Web, but in general it is less useful. Unless a very good argument for LO comes up, I'm sticking with Eviolite Gible.

The other parts though have been added.

Arcueid

nah i'd win nah i'd win nah i'd win
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
You didn't have to add mine unless it was approved by a QC member
EDIT: My bad about Snubull, I missed the -1 drop
EDIT2: I should've been clearer, LO Gible should be used as a Late Game cleaner on a Speed Control team, other whys, your argument is pretty solid
EDIT3: I modified my amateur check a bit

Last edited:
A bunch of calcs isn't really a check, its just some advise on his choices.

[OVERVIEW]
  • Rough Skin doesn't really punish, it just provides nice semi-passive damage, I'd say helps wear them down.
  • Mention only cottonee is relevent mon that resists this one stab combo.
  • Below average speed, not slow imo, it reaches 11 speed with your ev spread which means it hits a jump point on 10s and 9s.
  • Mention fairy weakness on top of it, and the lack of resistances because of its ground subtyping.
  • Mention competition as an SR user to other ground types, and from tyrunt in the dragon department.
[SET]
  • Toxic>Iron head in the slashing, lets it create free turns as opposed to dealing like 30% to clerics, and can wear down physical attackers alongside toxic
  • Dragon Claw>Outrage and Dragon Tail>Outrage, so Dragon Claw / Tail and no outrage, its asking to die when it uses that.
Rest of it is okay, just needs some overall work so just take some time on Checks n Counters and team options.

QC 1/4

Set Details
- Explain the ability choice here as well

Team Options
- Add Fire-types, they can help take on annoying things like ferro, fairies, etc.
- Wish support can keep Gible healthy and let it check stuff more times in a match so you get more use out of Rough Skin.
- Ferroseed can be mentioned with Steels, can provide additional entry hazards which works well with Gible's phazing.

Checks and Counters
- Beef this up a bit, ie add examples of stuff, what they might need to watch out for when switching in, examples of mons that carry Ice-type coverage, etc. It's on the right track though.

QC 2/4

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
[OVERVIEW]
Give examples of other Stealth Rock setters that outclass Gible.
"Below average speed leaves it outsped and KOed by many offensive threats" => say that it's detrimental to abuse in the best way of its 70 base atk.

[SET]

First of all, Gible doesn't learn Dragon Tail.

move 1: Stealth Rock
move 4: Toxic / Rock Tomb / Iron Tail / Roar

Moves:

Remove DTail mentions.

- Stealth Rock allows Gible to provide useful team support.
- Earthquake is a powerful STAB that dents most things not immune/resistant or very physically bulky and Dragon Claw provides a fairly powerful STAB option.
- Toxic cripples opposing bulky Pokemon putting a timer on them.
- Rock Tomb hits Flying-types which are immune to Earthquake; this moves lowers target's speed, which might be useful to Gible for attacking the foe twice or poisoning it.
- Roar prevents the opposing Pokemon from setting up
- Iron Tail can be run in order to hit Fairy-Types like Cottonee or Spritzee harder than Earthquake.

(i just fixed the order and added a description for the moves in bold)

Team Options:
- Spikes support (e.g. Trubbish) can be a good idea if Gible is running Roar (especially with the bulkier spread). In this case, say that a spinblocker is necessary and maybe something to deal w/ defoggers.

OO:
- mention berry juice for recovery, as it is a nice alternative to wish
- Stone Edge
- mention this spread: 52 HP / 36 Atk / 236 Def / 156 SpD / 20 Spe alongside an Impish nature for more bulk, especially if the main role of Gible is setting sr up.

C&C
Mention toxic when you talk about bulky mons

try to work a bit more on C&C, but I think it can work even like this.

QC 3/4 n_n

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
Head TD
With rocky helmet is a mini garchomp, but the defenses are weak =(.
I think eviolite is better in a defensive set.
...Yes?

Gonna have QC 3 completely implemented by Monday.

Aaaaaand I forgot to edit the title again. Implemented QC 3.

Last edited:

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove

Comment

[OVERVIEW]

While Gible faces heavy competition from other Dragon-types for an offensive role, it has several unique qualities that let it differentiate itself from its brethren. Gible's nearly unresisted STAB combination is backed up by a decent 70 base Attack, and it has a good ability in Rough Skin, which helps wear down physical attackers. However Gible has fairly low speed Speed and only average defenses, which isn't helped by its lack of reliable recovery and high 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks. Gible's Ground subtyping also does it few favors, as it provides little defensive synergy with its Dragon typing. Ultimately, (AC) Gible should not be the first choice for an offensive Dragon-type, but it has good utility in the form of Stealth Rock and Rough Skin.

[SET]
name: Bulky Offensive
move 1: Stealth Rock / Rock Tomb
move 4: Toxic / Roar / Iron Tail
item: Eviolite
ability: Rough Skin
nature: Adamant
evs: 132 HP / 196 Atk / 156 Def / 20 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock allows Gible to support its team, but Rock Tomb can be used if Stealth Rock support is not needed. Rock Tomb allows Gible to hit flying Flying-types harder than Dragon Claw can, and the move also provides support in its by slowing down foes effect. Earthquake and Dragon Claw form a nearly unresisted STAB combination, and Earthquake in particular heavily damages everything that does not resist Ground-type attacks. The last moveslot has several choices options (subjective) depending on what the team needs. Toxic allows Gible to cripple bulky opposing Pokemon foes (this is just what I prefer b/c it's less fluffy) that Gible it cannot otherwise break through, Roar prevents Gible from being set up on and synergizes well with entry hazard support, and Iron Tail is a decent coverage option for hitting Fairy-types harder than Earthquak.

Set Details
========

Maximum attack Attack EVs with an Adamant nature allow Gible to hit as hard as possible with its STABs moves. The given defensive EVs allow Gible to avoid multiple 2HKOs and OHKOs from threats such as Spritzee, Snubbull, and Pawniard with Eviolite factored in. The remaining EVs let Gible hit 11 speed Speed, allowing it to outspeed things foes such as defensive Wall Porygon and standard Timburr. Rough Skin is the ability of choice since it can help Gible wear down physical attackers.

Usage Tips
========

Gible has several useful resistances and decent bulk, so it can switch into many neutral or resisted attacks. However its defenses aren't stellar and it lacks recovery, so be cautious about repeatedly switching in without Wish support. Once Gible is in, (AC) it becomes a matter of picking a STAB move to use, since as only two Pokemon in LC resist both. Coverage moves can be used to hit predicted switch-ins, (RC) but are fairly weak against neutral targets. Keep in mind Gible's low speed Speed in mind with regards to its HP and the possibility of a foe's Ice-type coverage move.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types take devastating Ice attacks well. Chinchou can use Volt Switch to get Gible in safely, while Skrelp also resists Fairy-type attacks and threatens to KO them with its Poison-type STAB moves. Steel-types such as Magnemite and Ferroseed resist all of Gible's weaknesses, while Gible resists and can threaten Fire-types. Ferroseed in particular provides additional entry hazard support, which can be useful if Gible is running Roar. Fire-(AH)types also resist both Fairy-(AH) and Ice-type moves and can easily break through Ferroseed, who which has enough natural bulk to wall Gible. Gible also appreciates Wish support from Pokemon like such as Spritzee, as it lacks reliable recovery of its own.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Hone Claws is Gible's only boosting option, which also lets it run Dragon Rush and Stone Edge more effectively, but Gible is unfortunately a bit slow and lacks recovery to use it effectively. Outrage is a much more powerful alternative to Dragon Claw, (RC)but leaves Gible very prone to being revenge killed. Similarly, (AC) Stone Edge can be run instead of Rock Tomb, but Rock Tomb possibly lets Gible attack twice due to its secondary effect and also somewhat cripples the switch-ins. Fire Blast can be run in order to hit Ferroseed and Cottonee super effectively, but Gible is let down by its atrocious special attack Special Attack. A fully defensive set with Eviolite can be run in order to let Gible use Rough Skin more effectively, but Gible is reliant on Rest for recovery. Gible can also choose to hold a Life Orb and run a faster offensive set, but due to Gible's low speed Speed and mediocre defenses, (AC) it is very prone to being killed quickly, although it can be effective with speed control. Gible can also hold a Choice Scarf in order to make up for its low speed Speed, but this set lacks power and is easily walled. (period), while Berry Juice can be used for a single one-time recovery, but Eviolite is ultimately more useful for making Gible's defenses useable.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-Typestypes**: Both Snubbull and Spritzee are able to take any of Gible's attacks bar Iron Tail due to their general bulk and threaten to KO it back with their STAB moves.

**Ice-Typestypes**: Because of Gible's heavy 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks, virtually all Ice-types outspeed and threaten to KO it with their STAB moves, although Stone Edge hits them very hard.

**Ice-Typetype Attacks**: Even without STAB, an Ice-Typetype move can, (AC) at the very least, (AC) hurt Gible severely if not outright OHKO it. Common Pokemon with Ice-type coverage moves include Porygon, Staryu, and Chinchou.

**Bulky defensive Defensive (sounds kinda redundant with "bulky" preceding" Pokemon**: Are Bulky foes usually able to take Gible's attacks, as base 70 base attack Attack isn't overwhelming. Examples include Ferroseed, Slowpoke, and Porygon, who which can all repeatedly take Gible's attacks and threaten it back. However, (AC) most bulky Pokemon do not appreciate Toxic.

**Cottonee**: Cottonee is the only relevant Pokemon in Littlecup Cup that resists both of Gible's STABs moves and threatens to deal massive damage with Dazzling Gleam.

GP 1/2

Last edited:
hold on a sec, why is Rock Tomb slashed with Stealth Rock? Tricking suggested that Rock Tomb be slashed in the fourth slot in his check (he even bolded it), and I'm on board with that as well. If you disagree with a QCer's suggestions, that's fine, but address it when you post, don't ignore it lol

Merritt

no comment
Head TD
hold on a sec, why is Rock Tomb slashed with Stealth Rock? Tricking suggested that Rock Tomb be slashed in the fourth slot in his check (he even bolded it), and I'm on board with that as well. If you disagree with a QCer's suggestions, that's fine, but address it when you post, don't ignore it lol
Made a mistake, it's supposed to be slashed with both. That's been fixed.

As for why - if Gible's team already has SR support then it can give up SR for tomb and run that + 4th slot move. I talked with Tricking a bit on PS, where I talked about the inevitable comparison to Hippopotas if the set was EQ/SR/Roar/Filler that's not Slack Off and how it's so much worse in that role than hippo it's not funny. SR is still slashed first, but you're right that it was supposed to be in the fourth slot as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)